what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, congrats W2R!!! I'm right behind you. That is, in 8 more years. Can't wait to hear how it's everything you imagined it to be.

I'm a little concerned that on Monday your joy and happiness is going to make you explode.

Congratulations W2R! You must be psyched. Do you already know what you are going to do next week with all that new-found freedom?

Sleep in - - and then Frank (who is still working second shift) wants me to babysit some workmen who are going to be repairing/replacing some of the plumbing at his house and tearing up his driveway. Life goes on! But that can't last forever. :) And yes, I am thrilled beyond belief that my retirement day is finally almost here.

yes, congrats W2R!!! I'm right behind you. That is, in 8 more years. Can't wait to hear how it's everything you imagined it to be.
I think it may be better than I have imagined it to be! We shall see. When I started counting the days there were more than 2400 left, so I guess that was between 6.5 and 7.0 years out. I devoted a sheet in my Excel file to that count and every morning would update the days left in that month, which would then allow computation of the total days left. I finally stopped doing that today. You'll get there, with determination.
I'm a little concerned that on Monday your joy and happiness is going to make you explode.
Better duck!!!:hide: Wouldn't want you to get all covered by the fallout of body parts, blood and guts, etc.

Last edited:
Springfield person: "What do you do for a living?"
Me: "I am a retired oceanographer."
Springfield person: "You are a retired WHUT? HUH?"
I'd gladly trade you...rewind back to my college days...

Hometown person: "So you're going to college now?"
Me: "Yes, I'm majoring in Physics"
Hometown person: "You gonna be a gym teacher?"
Me: :banghead:

Oh, what I would give to be a fly on the wall when you try to explain what oceanographers do (did).

Oh, what I would give to be a fly on the wall when you try to explain what oceanographers do (did).

It's tough even within an educated group. Most non-oceanographers think I probably spend my time out on a ship petting dolphins and killer whales. :rolleyes: (hint: physical oceanography is similar to ocean physics and does not generally involve marine mammals).

They graph the ocean of course.:greetings10:
Simplify: draw pretty pictures of the ocean and what it does. Artists too.:LOL:

When I worked in Seismology, one day in in upstate NY, a fellow in hunting suit wanted to know what I was doing when he saw me in the woods fixing a seismic station. I said working on a seismic station.

He: hell we don't need none of that! Then went of into the hills.

Not yet...I'm gonna give her a little while, then I'm callin' out the calvary!

Well, she was logged into the forum today. I have a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember, uh, Stuff) but it seems to me that in the past she has had painful problems that kept her from typing, didn't she? Perhaps they have recurred. :(

OMG, I just got home after my retirement party and it was more wonderful than I could ever have imagined! :D

Glad it all went well!

Well I got my heating and cooling system installed. It is nice, feels like I've been brought into the 21st century. They did try to screw me at the end though. The guy that priced the job(owner) said the current insulation around the duct work in the attic would be sufficient. But he didn't crawl around the whole attic, just based it on what he could see when peeping up there. The guys that installed the unit said no, that there was some break points that was not wrapped properly. They recommended upgrading to some better insulation to the tune of $1,400.:eek: I called the owner and raised %e!! so he backed off and said they would do it for the price of the materials, around $250. A 2 day job so I agreed. Still $250 I wasn't expecting, but I want to be sure I don't have moisture problems in the summer.

Oh well, the perils of being a homeowner. Time to head to the club for a few med's and dinner.:)

Glad it all went well!

They recommended upgrading to some better insulation to the tune of $1,400.:eek: I called the owner and raised %e!! so he backed off and said they would do it for the price of the materials, around $250. A 2 day job so I agreed. Still $250 I wasn't expecting, but I want to be sure I don't have moisture problems in the summer.

Oh well, the perils of being a homeowner. Time to head to the club for a few med's and dinner.:)

Funny you should mention that ,when I had my air replaced they said my ducts were hanging low and needed to be replaced . I decided to think about it and I've never had a problem since the new installation . So maybe this is their standard "Let's upgrade the job practice ".

Beautiful day in the 70's. Looked up and down my street - everybody's out raking leaves.

Being lefthanded INTJ - dug out my mower /ran it on mulch. After a short run/loaned my big garden cart to my neighbor on the left still raking.

Watching Navy ahead of Norte Dame in the 4th quarter.

heh heh heh - this ER is tough sometimes. :D .

Spent all day at a event in Reston, VA called "Homes for the Holidays", a dog rescue event to help rescue groups meet people in order to find homes for their pets. Did a lot of talking and have a lot of interest in our current foster dog, Deago- a 3 1/2 year old blue merle sheltie.

Want2retire- have a great Monday and welcome to retirement, I passed my first year on October 3rd although I am running my sawmill for hire part time. It was great to hear your celebration went well!

Good grief...it looks like you, Dawg and I have had plenty of plumber's crack this week....and then we get to pay for the privilege... :p

The plumbers are polite & professional, but they take much money. I gladly pay them, but wish I didn't have to see them so often.

Great day today! Getting ready for a trip from FL to visit my sister and BIL in Ocean Isle Beach, NC. It's just about 10 miles over the border from Myrtle Beach, SC. About an 11 hour drive. Golf clubs cleaned and packed along with the shoes. I was up there last year on a golf trip with seven other guys (my brother included) to Myrtle Beach for a week. Of course we drove up to my sisters place one day and played one of the courses they live on. Like I said, this trip is to visit with my sister and BIL and my brother and SIL from OH will join us. It's been three years since we've all visited together. One thing our parents wanted us to promise them before they passed away was for us to always stay close to each other. We were always a close knit family and they wanted us to remain close, and we are. We've never had an argument and talk to each other weekly. Can't wait to see them tomorrow evening. We'll have a few drinks and my sister will cook a great dinner as usual. We are bringing Monday night's dinner in a cooler. Six New York strip steaks and the baking potatoes. It's great to be a close family and I can't wait for 5AM to get started.

Yeah. Plumbers do alright for themselves.

I'm sure you've heard the one about the woman who called the plumber to unclog the toilet. The job took 15 minutes. "That'll be $200", he said. "$200? I wouldn't pay that to a brain surgeon. "I know" said the plumber. "I used to be one".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom