what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the final prep day for my dinner party tomorrow eve. I just set the dining room table, and am just about ready to dive into making Baklava. :cool:
Just be careful, and don't go making a Balaklava by mistake :LOL::ROFLMAO::whistle:

Love the red-white-and-blue table setting, but those aren't exactly Greek colors are they?

A.

I just set the dining room table, and am just about ready to dive into making Baklava.

I knew you would make that.........:D

and yes I am winging it by having the statue of David (Michelangelo) there. :cool:
He fits in nicely.

Why did I KNOW you had a staue of David? I am quite SURPRISED he is NOT LIFE SIZE!! :cool:

Today is the final prep day for my dinner party tomorrow eve. I just set the dining room table, and am just about ready to dive into making Baklava.

I think we should all drop in at Freebird's house around dinnertime tomorrow night since she is making Baklava. (yum! sounds great!) :D

I think we should all drop in at Freebird's house around dinnertime tomorrow night since she is making Baklava. (yum! sounds great!) :D

It's so cold here I need a Balaclava!! :LOL:

You all crack me up. :LOL:
Menu is...
- Calamata olives, pita bread, tzatziki (cucumber yogurt dip), tomato wedges, sliced cucumbers as appetizers
- Lamb souvlaki stlye, marinated for 3 days in red wine, olive oil, garlic, oregano, and lemon, on the grill if weather holds, else in the oven on skewers
- Spanakotiropita (spinach and feta cheese in phyllo dough folded in triangles)
- Orzo with tomatoes and feta cheese caserole
- Baklava
- Homemade coffee ice cream (by request)
- Semi dry red wine, NY Finger Lakes (Bully Hill Winery Table Red)

All made from scratch. Yummmmmmy. :D

The red dishes are all I had on hand for the tzatziki dip. The rest is done in blue and white, the colors of the Greek flag and a common theme for homes in Greece - whitewash with bold blue shutters. This is a pic dh2b took on the island of Mykonos in July 09 during our cruise.

Attachments

• P7210090.jpg
    P7210090.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 3
Today is the final prep day for my dinner party tomorrow eve. I just set the dining room table, and am just about ready to dive into making Baklava. My ToDo list is made up. I just need to tinker along and get things done. Alternating with goofing off, of course. :cool:
Theme is Greek food, and yes I am winging it by having the statue of David (Michelangelo) there. :cool:
He fits in nicely.

Where are the pot passers? Every house should a variety of them.

pool-780622.jpg

Freebird, try Bully Hill's BANTY RED along with the Table Red. We get a few btls every time we're in Hammondsport, even though it's less expensive in liquor stores (go figure)...

I played a Christmas party gig at a fancy schmancy restaurant last night. During the break we were served a meal with quail eggs, foie gras, and roast venison. The singer is a vegetarian and the drummer "can't eat meat," so I have two roasts in the fridge. It was quite good, but I wouldn't say it was "wow" food. The wine was "wow" however -- in comparison with the $1.79 Seacrest Syrah that I normally drink.

This is the first time I've worn my tux in about four years, and apparently I'm shrinking. The pants were dragging on the ground, and the sleeves were a bit too long.

Tonight we're playing a wedding in the same place, so DW will hem the pants today.

You all crack me up. :LOL:
Menu is...
- Calamata olives, pita bread, tzatziki (cucumber yogurt dip), tomato wedges, sliced cucumbers as appetizers
- Lamb souvlaki stlye, marinated for 3 days in red wine, olive oil, garlic, oregano, and lemon, on the grill if weather holds, else in the oven on skewers
- Spanakotiropita (spinach and feta cheese in phyllo dough folded in triangles)
- Orzo with tomatoes and feta cheese caserole
- Baklava
- Homemade coffee ice cream (by request)

All made from scratch. Yummmmmmy. :D

The red dishes are all I had on hand for the tzatziki dip. The rest is done in blue and white, the colors of the Greek flag and a common theme for homes in Greece - whitewash with bold blue shutters. This is a pic dh2b took on the island of Mykonos in July 09 during our cruise.

LAMB!!! mmmmm....

Great segue to Andrea Martin, from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.....

YouTube - "He don't eat no meat?"

Menu is...

Ooh! I've been to the Bully Hill Winery and loved it! SO and I took a short trip to the Finger Lakes several years ago and had a fabulous lunch in their outdoor dining area, overlooking the winery and the lake. Then we toured the winery and did a little wine tasting. (Sadly, only SO actually tasted the wine. I can't drink wine - I have a bad reaction to something, maybe sulfites, if I drink even a little wine). We brought back a few bottles of red wine for him and for gifts and everyone really liked it.

My problem is emotional. I love my 1995 Honda Accord.....:smitten::smitten:

I can so relate to this. I loved my 1986 Toyota and had it until a few years ago. It broke down on the way to w*rk one day. I had it towed and repaired, determined to keep it. Then it needed a couple more expensive repairs within the next few months and I figured it was telling me that it was time to move on. :LOL:

I have no regrets about buying a new car, but I still miss that little Toyota.

This is the first time I've worn my tux in about four years, and apparently I'm shrinking. The pants were dragging on the ground, and the sleeves were a bit too long...

Old age shrinkage, eh?

Reminds me of a joke, which I may post in the joke thread some time.

My problem is emotional. I love my 1995 Honda Accord.....:smitten::smitten:

I can so relate to this. I loved my 1986 Toyota and had it until a few years ago. It broke down on the way to w*rk one day...

I don't love my old cars, but I get used to them, like with my clothes. Some would say like their worn jeans, but I do not wear jeans. When not at work, I live in my Bermuda shorts and T-shirts. I have to remind myself to throw out the shorts and pants that are scuffed and the T-shirts that get too thin. Don't want people to think I am homeless, you know?

That "He don't eat no meat" video is funny to me, because it is so true to life. Definitely, absolutely just the type of thing my Greek side would say and do. So typical...that's why it's so funny. In fact, the WHOLE movie is typical.
Vardalos has the culture down perfectly in such a funny way...great movie.

LAMB!!! mmmmm....

Great segue to Andrea Martin, from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.....
That was a fabulous movie. :ROFLMAO:

Ok, I am probably about 3 lbs heavier today. Our guests just went ga-ga over the table setting and menu.
dh2b did some much needed brake work (his idea to volunteer) on their car with the Mrs helping. Yes, I said the Mrs! :cool: A gal who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, just like me.
I got Mr involved in the kitchen making the rice, spanakotiropita homemade coffee ice cream. Here I thought I was going to be busting my *ss all day and Mr got right in the kitchen and took right over for me. No complaints from me. :D
Our guests used to own a pizza place years ago and he was right in his element. All of us did cleanup.
All in all, a wonderful evening. Next theme is Mexican. I am loving doing real entertaining again. :D

Of to Las Vegas for a week today - w$$k sends me to get a week long training...funny even though they know I retire in a year it is still "worth it" to train me... at least it is in vegas....

I call today to see if I have to go in for jury duty tomorrow. This is the only threat to my freedom -- happens every year. Pray for me.

Well, I have to report tomorrow. I have an unreasonable fear of jury duty. Being retired, I have no way to get out of extended trials. It's a 40 minute drive one-way to the courthouse, and if I have a gig in town, that's over 2.5 hours of driving in one day.

T-Al, I put fear of jury duty right up there with fear of heights, not unreasonable at all. Good luck.

Ten ways to get out of jury duty: Top Ten Ways to Get (kicked) Out of Jury Duty - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
TAl, it looks like number 1 is custom suited for you. You wouldn't even have to act. :)

1.Pretend to be completely skittish—terrified even—of the court, the judge, the officers and bailiff. Squirm uncomfortably in your seat, sort of like you have bad cramps or gas. Look around constantly with a nervous “I’m gonna barf’ look on your face, cringe whenever the bailiff moves, and wince a little when the judge talks...

Well, I was excused. It was going to be a six-day trial, and they handed out a hardship form. I wrote "Every visit to the court involves 1.5 hours of driving for me."

I couldn't believe that that was accepted as an excuse. This is encouraging, because my biggest fear is getting stuck on a very long trial.

I'm free for another year.

I have never done jury duty . Since I was a nurse for forty years I was exempt . So now I must be lost in the system as I haven't been called in years . One time my late husband was called and it was for a famous mafia trial he was so nervous and so happy when he was excused .

Just got back from the beach! Water temp was in the low 70s, might be last beach day until we get back from Atlanta for the Christmas Holiday.

I took a full tour of the old YMCA building that houses my newest volunteer venture.
Old YMCA slowly changing into one-stop veterans center - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch

This is a relatively new startup and they are screaming for help. I am looking forward to having something constructive to do with my time.
I have always supported projects geared toward veterans assistance. This is going to be really cool.
I plan to start with 3 days per week, 4 hours at a time. I can help with organizing, thinking, and do a little cleaning and painting rooms, essentially anything that pops up. :D

I have always supported projects geared toward veterans assistance. This is going to be really cool.
I plan to start with 3 days per week, 4 hours at a time. I can help with organizing, thinking, and do a little cleaning and painting rooms, essentially anything that pops up. :D

Just wondering if there is any particular reason that the Veteran's cause tugs at your heart? As the daughter of a Viet Vet. it always pleases me to know there are people out there who care enough to give their time generously to this sector of the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom