what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SG - I enjoyed the photo and descriptions of the dancing - I am VERY impressed.

Today we walked to our favorite coffee shop and boy what a reception!! It is owned by a family from Korea and we got to know them all between 2004 and 2008 before we went to Louisiana for 2 years. (mother, father, 2 girls and a boy, aged 18 - 24). they were soooo pleased to see us and were extremely welcoming).

It is pretty cold (30's) and I needed to wear my fur hat.

All our furniture arrived yesterday so now ( 10am) while my son and I watch the English soccer on the TV (Arsenal v Man Utd), DW is furiously unpacking boxes - lots of noise unwrapping paper but I fear an unpleasant reaction if I complain :hide:

Attachments

• Alan in fur hat.jpg
    Alan in fur hat.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 4
It is pretty cold (30's) and I needed to wear my fur hat.

All our furniture arrived yesterday so now ( 10am) while my son and I watch the English soccer on the TV (Arsenal v Man Utd), DW is furiously unpacking boxes - lots of noise unwrapping paper but I fear an unpleasant reaction if I complain :hide:

LOVE the hat pic!!!!

Yeah, you are smart to keep quiet about the unpacking noise...or she might send YOU packing! :ROFLMAO:

What size apartment did you move into? We upgraded from 950 sq ft to now almost 1500 sq ft, and we feel like we are in heaven!

Make that 2 girlz who are affected by those eyes....:cool:

Did I cause a second blush perhaps? ;)

:blush::blush::blush::blush:

LOVE the hat pic!!!!

Yeah, you are smart to keep quiet about the unpacking noise...or she might send YOU packing! :ROFLMAO:

What size apartment did you move into? We upgraded from 950 sq ft to now almost 1500 sq ft, and we feel like we are in heaven!

We went from 1200', 2 bed, 2 bath back to the 1420', 3 bed, 2 bath. The 1200' was actually quite roomy and we'll probably downsize to 2 bedrooms now that DS is only a block away so we'll rarely, if ever, need 3 bedrooms for visitors staying.

Ok, after I had my coffee, I schlepped around a bit...then started my exercise program (again). 'Cause I don't think I'll want to wear sweatpants when it's 80 degrees. :whistle:

Is it inside the house? If so, you can wear minimal clothing like W2R often advocates as an LBYM way to save on utility bills for AC. Of course, you may or may not want to draw the drapes (depending on whether you want to "treat" thy neighbors).

Oh my no...it's never 80 in my house, but it can get to 100 outside. I prefer the gams to be toned rather than looking like they've been hibernating during the winter....especially when I wear shorts in public.

Last edited:
Just purchased our Roth's for the year, purchased some shares in our taxable account, and rebalanced a little. Spent several hours yesterday determining the "plan". Glad that is all done and over with!

Tried to figure out what the direct deposits from OPM that appeared in my checking account today represent. I think one is the interim pension payment (same as last month), and the other is the difference between the interim and final amount which would mean that they are done with the processing. I should get an explanatory letter soon. Right now I am in an information vacuum.

I have my copy of TurboTax and need to start on it this afternoon. So far, this has been one of those days devoted to numbers and computations.

But I also want to drive my new car someplace! Can't think of any place I need to go, so maybe I will just take it for a joy-ride.

Went to the Y and did 30 mins on the treadmill before an hour long "ballet workout" class which did wonders for my sore back. :)

Then we had lunch with our son, before doing some more unpacking :yuk:

I saw my doc this AM and had a great talk. My doc is soooo cool. She and I have a lot in common, personality-wise. I feel really cared for and fussed over, like a family member.
Coming up...I got scheduled for a full blown hearing evaluation for auditory discrimination problems in high noise in my right ear, plus I'm going to get my head examined :whistle: to rule out physiological causes in inner ear region.
And...this is the best part... I was given a verbal Rx to go to Florida for a full month next time if it did me that much good. :D
Anybody need a free housesitter? I w*rk for cold beer, bagels and steaks and I'm not allergic to animals. :LOL:
I delivered lunch to dh2b, had coffee with a friend, and went grocery shopping.
Big day for this girl!

Kind of a weird day today.

Our kid has a part-time job tutoring and peer-managing at a local Kumon franchise. They've been in the elementary school for at least a decade (after school), but the new principal wants the space back so they're movin' out this Friday.

They've found space at a nearby church but they need collapsible furniture for roughly 40 kids & tutors. Unfortunately large folding tables around here retail for at least $100+ and the owner was looking at a big furniture bill. Our kid suggested to the boss that we'd look on Craigslist. Spouse felt her bargain-hunting skills were at stake and got all competitive about it.

So this morning the first Craigslist seller met us at his storage center to sell two 48"x30" plastic folding tables. $40 total. By the time we returned home we had a call from a second seller. We met him downtown (25-mile drive) at his storage center for what we thought would be eight eight-foot melamine folding tables. $80 each.

By the time we unloaded everything else from the storage cube and started counting, we had nine tables of 8'x3'. He threw in a plastic six-foot folding table for free. $720 changed hands. Luckily he had a heavy-duty cart. The freight elevator was exactly eight feet deep.

I didn't notice how low our Prius was riding until I was roping everything down. It had an inch or so of flex so we decided to try it. Unfortunately I'd moved the seat all the way forward (so that only a foot or so of table was hanging out the back) and I barely managed to squeeze back into the car. I drove home with my head all the way over the dash, my chest a few inches from the steering wheel, and both legs pretzeled into a modified lotus-- left toe on the brake, right toe on the gas. It was rush hour so we didn't attract too much attention. I hope.

We weighed the load when we got home-- two full-grown adults plus 600 pounds of table and a full tank of gas. I checked the owner's manual and found that we'd overloaded the car's 810-pound limit by about 150 pounds. Yet the Prius seemed to drive flawlessly and I never felt it bouncing or bottoming on the springs. We'll have to keep an eye on it but the shocks seem fine. And we think everyone will be very happy on Friday...

Coming up...I got scheduled for a full blown hearing evaluation for auditory discrimination problems in high noise in my right ear...
It's been pointed out to me that hearing and listening are two completely different skills, and the medical community can only test for the former!

It's been pointed out to me that hearing and listening are two completely different skills, and the medical community can only test for the former!
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
He hits one right over the center field fence. Take 10! ;)

I did, however, notice you steered right clear of the head examination part. :whistle:

Well, that's true and I will probably follow whatever the manual says for tire pressure, but it's good to hear the mileage will improve all by itself.

Actually I think the mileage computer just hasn't got the right mileage because I have only driven 55 miles or so. Yesterday after only 20 miles or so it said I was getting 9 mpg (!) and today it said 12.1 mpg. That is insane. The car is supposed to get 19 in the city, and 26 on the highway. It probably needs more miles driven to be able to get a handle on it. I mean gee -- I know I got the V-6, but still it shouldn't be that bad. Oh well. My 4-cylinder Solara used to routinely get 35+ mpg, even though its official mpg rating was less.

I also let the insurance agent talk me into full coverage, including collision. Since I drive so little, I thought I'd self-insure my own car and max out on liability but she talked me into the "full ride". I guess that's a good idea for the first year or two. Maybe. Anyway, as little as I drive the bad mileage will cost me less than the extravagant insurance.

It akes a little time to get optimum gas mileage. A guy I know who is an engineer at Honda says that maximum fuel economy starts to occur around 4000 miles and up on a new car;).............

Since I filed my income taxes yesterday, today I am determining my estimated taxes for 2010. This should be pretty easy after I have been retired a year or two, and know about what to expect.

Time to take my new Venza for a pleasure drive. I can work on taxes more at a later time.

Woke up.

Looked outside.

Saw my shadow (it is Feb 2nd :angel: ).

Went back to bed (for the next six weeks...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom