what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to check out the super white socks. Is that the "Kid's Post" you're reading? If so, it sure beats the "Jobs" section;)

The Kid's Post is just the last page of the Style Section, I was reading the comics!

I got out and about and ran errands. Then I came home and called a long distance friend of many years who is ready to retire in June, maybe.
We laughed and talked for about an hour. :D

Davidson-Ann.jpg

Saw John Davidson entertain at a local amusement park here in Tampa - he's still got a lot of talent for being 69.

Yesterday I used a baseball bat to knock some 6 foot icicles off the house (the ones I could reach).

I went to the main office of a model railroad manufacturer here in Ormond Beach, FL, in search of a limited edition locomotive I've been trying to find (I've called shops, large and small, from coast to coast with NO success), and they dug around in there warehouse for me, and found one that had gotten misplaced behind some other merchandise...even they were amazed! And, boy, was I happy!!!
:clap:

Then this evening we had a very enjoyable time at the Peabody Auditorium in Daytona Beach listening to the "Philharmonic of the Nations" with pianist Jon Nakamatsu, performing Brahms' Piano Concerto #1 in D minor, Opus 15...and Mahler's Symphony #1 in D Major ("The Titans")....then it was off to Krispy Kremes!!!

Life is great!!! :flowers:

+1 on the Stihl. I had a Craftsman that was OK, but the Stihl is better. Don't forget to get all the safety gear (helmet with face shield and ear protectors, protective kevlar chaps, special protective boots.

facts08.htm_txt_Injuryman2.gif

I have a confession to make. My sister and her friend friend were visiting, and her friend was working on a color sudoku puzzle, like this:

41GC9CAM0QL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

As a joke, I moved a few of the beads around when she wasn't looking, probably making it impossible to solve. Before I knew it, it was too late to 'fess up, and the friend worked on it for about 7 hours before she gave up. I feel bad, but I decided not to say anything.

Slept late this a.m., got up, took a shower and got ready to meet DH's biker bud and wife. They were in the area because his daughter had a baby a couple of days ago. We oohed and ahhed over the pic of their new grandson and listened to several stories from the biker bud (he's a TX state trooper) about his experiences on the job. I laughed so hard, my jaws still ache. :LOL: Sure wish I could share some of the stories, but I must refrain.

I think I'll take a nap now.....:greetings10:

Played 18 holes today and temps in the mid 60's. Pretty darn nice. Worked at mother's house again today trimming bushes. Pretty much completed all that. Thank God! Now, need to rake my back yard and trim crap at my house. I'll do that next week.;)

I accomplished going through 2 boxes of papers in the spirit of Simplifying Saturday
...all day sorting and burning in fireplace, with frequent breaks, of course. :whistle:
Made corned beef hash and fried eggs with homemade ketchup for dinner. Simply delicious. :D

I spent the day doing a lot of ebay listing and then I made homemade pizza . I have to say this one was the best I loaded it up with peppers & onions & pepperoni & cheese & sauce . We were stuffed after one piece and the crust was perfect . I am finally getting the hang of pizza making .

Navy reserve drill weekend. Roughest day so far on the dark side. *sigh* I just don't have enough rank to make certain things correct today (some days I do - but NOT today!)

Went to dance class this morning. Came home, had lunch, cleaned out the car. Then DH and I went to explore a local park. Had a nice hike along a stream to a small waterfall and then checked out the boulder field. We sure do love this area. So many new things to see and do!

Cooked an extravagant dinner tonight - Alaskan king crab legs, salad, NY strip steak, veggie medley. YUM!

Hanging in tonight and chillin' out.

Except for eating breakfast (Krispy Kremes), lunch (Ballpark hotdogs), and supper (pizza from Genovese's in Ormond Beach, and a salad).....it did zip...nada...nothing all day!!! Now I'm all tuckered out and ready for bed! :D

.........Spring just 4 weeks from today!!! :flowers:

Felt pain from icicle removal. Managed to prop up a bucket under where ice melt was dripping in.

Continued work on the Great Family Room Refit of 2010. I ordered the cabinets I want for additional storage, replaced the nasty bits I found when I removed the ceiling fan, and started work on a low voltage raceway for my home theater stuff, that will eventually hide all the unsightly wires that used to connect The Monster TV From Heck to the other electronics.

The ceiling fan was entertaining. I pulled the thing out, and found that it was mounted to a plastic ceiling box, by a couple of lag bolts forced into the plastic. The box was affixed to a rafter by a drywall screw. This sucker was a veritable Sword of Damocles hanging in the center of the room for the past 20 years. I removed the box, and installed an actual metal ceiling fan box, properly secured, and also properly connected a lighting circuit to new track light rails.

I can't believe a building inspector signed off on some of what I keep finding. Where's my box of deficiency tags? :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I'll finish the low voltage raceway and start washing walls in preparation for painting.

Navy reserve drill weekend. Roughest day so far on the dark side. *sigh* I just don't have enough rank to make certain things correct today (some days I do - but NOT today!)
A few more weekends like that will give you the gray hairs to really get the rank/respect to get things done...

The ceiling fan was entertaining.
I can't believe a building inspector signed off on some of what I keep finding. Where's my box of deficiency tags? :rolleyes:
I think the best part of those discoveries is knowing that you won't have to convene an incident review board or hold a critique!

Slept in really late - 930 AM. :cool:
Got a last minute call from new friends to join them at brunch buffet. I tried to beg off on account of being "on a diet", but I was outnumbered :( 3:1. I took only a few things, so that I could still see white space on my plate, and had some canned fruit for dessert. Another food challenge overcome. :angel:
Winding up the day with some real excitement by doing laundry. :rolleyes:

Presented the flag to a sister of a retired sailor (he was only 51 when he passed) who had been one of my customers in my civ job. Since I know the Navy funeral detail guy, he asked if I wanted to participate in the military honors. It was a moving experience, and I think it meant a little more to Lil (the sister of the deceased) that a friend was presenting the flag to her. Sad, but warm emotions.

Felt pain from icicle removal. Managed to prop up a bucket under where ice melt was dripping in.
In the house Khan? Hope this is not the case and your pain is better tomorrow. I recommend a hot bath or shower. Followed by a nice glass of red wine if you are so inclined.

Today DH and I worked on our retile project in the the master bath at the rental. Seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Now we know why contractors charge so much to re-do bathrooms.

I read a book until 3am last night, couldn't get to sleep for a while, then woke up at 10:40. I really shouldn't do that since I feel better if I get to sleep earlier.

Moved and dusted books from my living room to other parts of the house, added some to the stacks I'll sell to a used book dealer. I'm nearly done clearing out the room so I can start spackling/painting it. And lots of sneezing! This sort of thing always kicks up my allergies.

Got my 2010 and 2011 taxes estimated. They will be a lot different because it will be the first year I'm retired but I should be in a lower bracket. Trying to decide whether I should convert my traditional IRAs to Roths.

Life is good.:D

My house too! Especially in the electrical systems. I keep finding code violations every time I work on something. Code violations that were always violations so there's no excuse for it. Makes me wonder if there was cash under the table or just incompetence.:nonono:

In the house Khan? Hope this is not the case and your pain is better tomorrow. I recommend a hot bath or shower. Followed by a nice glass of red wine if you are so inclined.

Today DH and I worked on our retile project in the the master bath at the rental. Seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Now we know why contractors charge so much to re-do bathrooms.

Yes, ice dam(n)s.

Yes, ice dam(n)s.

Major big time bummer. Know what? This winter has been a major {explative deleted by poster}. Spring can't come soon enough. On the bright side, I did see some robins today. Pecking around in the ground where the sun had melted off the snow. This, plus the multitude of squirrels and birds at my feeder, is giving me some rays of hope.

My house too! Especially in the electrical systems. I keep finding code violations every time I work on something. Code violations that were always violations so there's no excuse for it. Makes me wonder if there was cash under the table or just incompetence.:nonono:

I'm pretty sure all the electrical work was done by a fully licensed and qualified plumber...

There are all sorts of interesting stories about the building permit and inspection process here in town. It seems that some contractors are permitted to operate as their own inspectors. :nonono: When I've pulled permits, an inspector showed up, and seemed inclined to hang around rather than just check, sign, and go, as though he were waiting for something... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom