Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #2941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well put -- don't get me started.

Things are remarkably faster. Firefox opens or closes very quickly and explorer windows appear instantly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #2942
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last thing I did before hittin' the hay last night, was to snag a couple of tickets to go to the "Philharmonic of the Nations" while we're in Florida in February.....near the middle, and only 8 rows from the front! That will make for a nice relaxing evening, and it's just a very short distance from of our hotel!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #2943
Give me a forum ...

We drove to WalMart in a pretty decent snowstorm in our 4WD Jeep.
dh2b dropped me off (my idea so he couldn't come in and lollygag in electronics dept ) while he went and got some snowmobile parts right down the road.
I buzzed through the store with my list like a self propelled lawnmower.

It just doesn't get any better than this.

The lake effect snow machine is cranking up to full speed right now.
Red false color on this radar map means 2-3" per hour snowfall rates.
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...101111&loop=no
For those fascinated by animation, see
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/northeast_loop.php
Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #2944
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I went to the 'maul'

Normally wouldn't go near there this time of year, but modem dieing and dead batteries in garage door opener.

I hate that place, especially during the 'buy crap' season.

And the weather was cold and windy and snowy.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #2945
Give me a forum ...

I went back to the gym . I had been slacking due to the holidays and having my Mother with me . Surprisingly I'm still on track for the holidays no gain program so I'll get a free t shirt next week . I also revved up my ebay sales as one of my presents was a huge adjustable shop light to help with my pictures . It goes to 1,000 watts so hopefully we will not be attracting planes as we live close to an airport .
Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #2946
Give me a forum ...

The hike from hell............

Took my mutt today to a local park/hiking trail. One that we walk all the time but today, a little extra adventure. The main trail is pretty nice and about 5 miles in length. Below is a pic to give you some idea. Along the main trail are many rough side trails where sometimes you can barely make out the trail, but tree trunks are spot painted green along the way to keep you on track. Well today I decided to try one I had never been on and that was a mistake. For the first hour I thought it was pretty neat, a virgin trail(for me). After the 2nd hour I was not so happy as it just kept on and on, up and down hills with no sign of getting close to the main trail. I finally stumble on a family of six riding horses so I flag them down and ask if I could follow them out. But as luck would have it, first time they had ever been to the park and they were lost. I follow anyway which came in handy as we came across a swampy area and they gave me a ride on the back of one of the horses to get across. Poor mutt had to slosh across on his own.

I took off and left them behind as they were slow because of having to be careful with their kids who where riding along. I seriously thought I was going to have to call 911 to have them send out the blood hounds to find us as it was getting late. I could just see it......make the local news and all my old buddies would rib me from now on. So calling was not an option. Finally I make it back to the main trail and get back to my car, after about 15 miles of needless hiking. I did report to the police that there was a family out there and I know they were no where near making it back by dark. I saw their horse trailers close to where I was parked. They laughed and said they have this happen all the time. They were sending out a 4 wheeler to search as I drove off.

So what a lovely way to wind up the year. I'm soaking my throat in some meds at this very moment.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #2947
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Installed new modem. All lights are green. Life is good.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #2948
Give me a forum ...

Glad you and your bud made it back Dawg!

Yep, Khan...green lights are good.

My day today....a very good one. Had to get kitty crunchies after my gig at the p.d. There's supposed to be freezing rain tomorrow. Looks like it will be a day to stay in and wear the warmies.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #2949

A nice simple day...Fed the birds and enjoyed the sunshine!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #2950
Give me a forum ...

I spent an hour solving this damn puzzle last night, then made the mistake of undoing it. So today, I wasted another 30 minutes solving it again.

Puzzle 001.jpg

Puzzle 002.jpg
Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #2951
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
A nice simple day...Fed the birds and enjoyed the sunshine!
But, how many days until spring?

I enjoy seeing your countdowns on your various posts. It makes me happy just knowin' that spring is on the way!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #2952
Moderator Emeritus

We got some of those "Notice of Changes toYour Credit Card Agreement" letters, chock full of 6 point fine print. You know, the ones that you normally toss in the trash?

I read the damned things, as I know about the coming changes (effective in March, as I recall) that will make it harder for the CC companies to engage in fun and games. They are rushing out exciting new enhancements to the cards ahead of the March deadline.

We have some store credit cards, whose particular enhancements include removing the maximum rate cap and charging a $1 fee for providing a statement. (Here's your bill, plus a dollar for the bill... Thanks for paying the bill, you owe us another dollar... ) We also 'agree' to use an arbitrator of their choice, and waive right to trial by jury...

So, I wrote a stack of letters to cancel the cards, included sliced up plastic, and posted them. I'll get a temporary hit on my credit score (not much, as these were low limit store cards), and the satisfaction of knowing these folks won't be getting more of my money.

The nice thing about retirement is having the time to take care of the little things in life...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #2953
Give me a forum ...

Helped dh2b clear 6 inches of fresh light fluffy snow off the steps and back deck, with single digit temps making my legs cold. Nice little w*rkout for me.
Picked up some snowmobile parts and had coffee with a friend.
Lake effect snow warnings still in effect but all heavy accumulations are staying to the north. Whew!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #2954
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Helped dh2b clear 6 inches of fresh light fluffy snow off the steps and back deck, with single digit temps making my legs cold. Nice little w*rkout for me.
Picked up some snowmobile parts and had coffee with a friend.
Lake effect snow warnings still in effect but all heavy accumulations are staying to the north. Whew!
Had some of the same experience with the fluffy stuff at 44.2 deg N. in VT. Are you anywhere near the (former) Lake Champlain Bridge?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #2955
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Had some of the same experience with the fluffy stuff at 44.2 deg N. in VT. Are you anywhere near the (former) Lake Champlain Bridge?
Nope, I'm due SE of Oswego on Lake Ontario.
When the prevailing NW winds blow, and you see that well defined narrow band of lake effect forming, I'm at the very tail end of it. Whew!
A true west wind takes it all just north of me on the Tug Hill Plateau, where a few days' snowfall is measured in feet.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #2956
Give me a forum ...

Today DH and I attended his mother's funeral. Very sad day in the Purron household. We love her very much.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #2957

Good thing I goofed off all day Monday, and just fed the birds and enjoyed the sunshine, 'cause I was busier than a one-legged man in a butt kickin' contest yesterday! I got together with a bunch of old friends up in the northwest 'burbs of Chicago yesterday. We hit a bunch of hobby shops all over the area up that way, then had a yummy lunch at an Italian restaurant. After lunch we hit a few more hobby shops, and ended our hobby shop blitz by having dinner at Famous Dave's BBQ!!!

Good friends...Good food....and a huge passel of goodies from all of the hobby shops, 221 miles, 12 full hours!!! Oh...and a bunch more 'reward points' on my CC!!!

Today was much slower paced....breakfast out with Mom....lunch out with a couple former coworkers....supper out with Mom. In between meals I sorted through all my treasures from yesterday's trip, and also squeezed in a nap!

Now I'm headin' out for coffee...then back home to hit the pillows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
But, how many days until spring?

I enjoy seeing your countdowns on your various posts. It makes me happy just knowin' that spring is on the way!
Ooooops! How'd I forget to include that.....must be slippin'!

Hey.....it's only 80 days 'til Spring! Haha!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #2958

DH and I volunteered at a local Habitat for Humanity house today. The house is basically done so we were the part of the "finishing touches" crew. Spent 7.5 hours helping to finish the landscaping, sweep out everything, clean up the bathrooms, and mop 1100 square feet of tile. Had DH run to get the Floor Mate out of our storage locker while I started with the sponge mop. Really glad we didn't sell it prior to the move.

The foreman was glad to get more two hard workers because he said he had to finish today and wasn't leaving until everything was done. He needed us because two of his three high school volunteers spent about 10 minutes of every hour actually doing any work. One of the kids was telling DH how he almost aced the SAT. Maybe a smart kid but a pathetic worker. I'll take a hard worker any day.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #2959
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry Purron. I saw a pic of her in another thread and it sounds like she was a wonderful lady. Warm hugs to you and hubby.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #2960

Sorry to hear that Purron. Take care of yourselves.