Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #3161
Full time employment: Posting here.

After mentioning (on a thread somewhere) how I like to use my smoker/cooker I went out last night and bought 3 huge Boston butt's and 2 large chicken hens. Today I plan to get the wood, smoker etc. out and get it ready to go. I'll wait until tomorrow to fire it up since it is supposed to be in the 60 degree range. I guess it will be a whole day of tending the fire/smoker, drinking beer and eating the hot Cajun peanuts I got to help me make it through all the intense labor.
Its a tough job but somebodies got to do it,
Steve

PS. Nice ride W2R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #3162
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sharp car, great color! One of our friends has one and LOVES it. Did you get the V-6 or 4 cylinder?
Thank you! The color doesn't show dirt, which was my main criterion for color since I don't have a garage. I got the V-6 because I really wanted the dual moonroof, and you can only get that with the V-6 except by special order (at least in this part of the country). The moonroof was one of my "must haves" in looking at various models. By the way, the V-6 is really ZIPPY after driving a four cylinder all these years.

My gas mileage will be a lot lower with the V-6 than it was with the 4 cylinder Solara, but then I don't put that many miles on a car so maybe that isn't as important for me as I once thought.

Otherwise, I think I got just about all the options except the all wheel drive, GPS, and tow package.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #3163
Moderator Emeritus

I love the car, W2R--hope your haircut is just as cool.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #3164
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I love the car, W2R--hope your haircut is just as cool.
Thank you!! The haircut was really good, too. Very short this time and I like it. Yesterday was really my day.

This car drives like a dream. So smooth and responsive. The driving part is easy, fun, and a breeze.

On the other hand, some of the gadgetry is easy but some won't work for me until I get out the manual and figure it out. Then it is easy. So there is a lot to experiment with and learn, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Oddly, when I compared identical insurance policies, insurance on the Solara was $200/year more than identical insurance on the Venza. However, my insurance agent talked me into adding collision/comprehensive, which I didn't have with my Solara. I wasn't going to get it but it turned out that it doesn't cost that much more, and maybe that's wisest for a brand new car.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #3165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love your new car W2R. It's so exciting to get new car or toy. The first few months after I get a new car, I'm almost afraid to drive it for fear of a scratch or dent.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #3166
Administrator

Thanks, Happy2bretired. I felt the same way driving around today. I thought about driving to a shopping center but I wasn't quite ready to risk the dings and dents if I parked there. Maybe tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #3167

Revision on plan for the day.
The weather is nice, going to 54 degrees, close enough so:
The smoker is fired up and the boston butts & beer can chickens are cooking away.
I guess its time for chilling, beer of the day(NewCastle)& nuts !!!
I mean slaving away tending the fire, that's the ticket.
I may still be cooking a little later than I wanted but what tha hey I'm retired, right?

W2R,
I always park on the end of a row or at the far end of parking lots.
I'm a fanatic about protecting my vehicles.
The little extra walk is probably good for me anyhow.
Steve
Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #3168
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks, Happy2bretired. I felt the same way driving around today. I thought about driving to a shopping center but I wasn't quite ready to risk the dings and dents if I parked there. Maybe tomorrow.
I still do this 5 years later with my midlife crisis car. You will quickly find all the parking spots with the curb next to it so only 1 car can park next to you. Snug right up to the curb and their door cannot reach your car.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #3169

W2R, just don't end up being one of those people that take up 2 or 3 parking spaces or you might end up on the "pet peeves" list.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #3170
Administrator

That's true, although I am all for parking on the far side of the parking lot on sunny days, for exercise. I would never intentionally take up more than one space. I think that is annoying, too. I like Freebird's idea of parking next to a curb which is compatible with Steve's idea of parking on the end of a row.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #3171

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Freebird's idea of parking next to a curb which is compatible with Steve's idea of parking on the end of a row.
I actually get the first space at the end of the row, closest to the store sometimes. I just park as far away from the other car as possible, like over the line on the safe side. If you get my drift/what I mean.
Steve

You can protect that investment/Ride if you put forth the effort.
I learned this from my Dad (82 yrs. old) & still taking care of his vehicle.
I keep a small umbrella in the car for the nasty days.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #3172

Update !!!
We are now cruising at 250 degrees.
Altitude unknown (maybe a Little buzz/high) in Alabama at this time.
Chicken is looking great.
Pork Butts have several hours to go.
ETA (estimated time of arrival) 7:00 CT
Yes, I know-30yrs. is way to long to hang out at the Airport.
Steve
Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #3173

Had a great day. We're in the process of upgrading a recently purchased home. I'm stunned by how far we have gone. Closed on 12/30/09 to take advantage of the "newly purchased home-first time home buyer" and get the $8000 tax credit. Since then we have virtually gutted it. Only thing not being replaced is the carpet in master bedroom. Removed all the "popcorn" ceilings, carpeting, vinyl flooring and kitchen cabinets. Ceiling painting will be finished today and Monday the tile installation starts. 100% tile except for master bedroom and bath. After the tile comes the new kitchen cabinets. Still about 30 days from move in date. Had a giant oak tree trimmed out back. Spent four hours raking up twigs and leaves and getting rid of the junk. Looking good. After the tile and the new cabinets come the new lighting, fans and fireplace. Third time we've done this and hope "third time is a charm". I'm tired of it. DW loves it. She wakes me up in the middle of the night and wants to talk about decorating and color choices.
Can't wait till this is over.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #3174
Recycles dryer sheets

Whoo hoo, W2R - new car!

I walked down to the Potomac to see the minor flooding. Saw a cool hawk screaming. Read some of an old murder mystery that has been sitting around my house for a decade or so. Got my annuity letter and saw that my annual leave is in my account now. Updated my spreadsheets with the new info. A good day.

Yesterday, I pulled 40 pairs of old shoes out of my closet and took them to the Goodwill. It really is ridiculous how much stuff gets stowed away and forgotten.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #3175
Give me a forum ...

Evening newsflash...I installed TurboTax and did all data entry except my proceeds from brokerage forms. I got burned out and didn't want to make mistakes. So I quit (there is always a nice ring to that word ).
This will be the last year I have to do manual entry of forms from 3 different fund family/brokerage sources. Now that all my stuff is under 1 roof at VG, next year I simply click on the download button.
Sometimes I get it right.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #3176
Give me a forum ...

Played golf yesterday. A beautiful day as the temps were the high 50's and sunny. Shot an even par 72. Best round in several months, but the course was muddy so our group played it lift, clean and place which helps the score. Suppose to be another pretty day and rain tomorrow. Rain always follows when the temperature rises.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #3177

Snowing lightly outside and will be very cold for the next few days so I'm going to make a big pot of chili and listen to jazz all day.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #3178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Played golf yesterday. A beautiful day as the temps were the high 50's and sunny. Shot an even par 72. Best round in several months, but the course was muddy so our group played it lift, clean and place which helps the score. Suppose to be another pretty day and rain tomorrow. Rain always follows when the temperature rises.
72? Wow, no way can I play in your group............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #3179
Give me a forum ...

The power just went out, but because I recently put a UPS on the cable modem and router, I can still surf the Internet and post here. Pretty cool.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #3180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today I'm going to determine whether it makes a difference to sear a pot roast before putting it in the slow cooker. I cut the chuck roast in two, and seared one piece.
The seared piece did look a little better on the outside, but there was absolutely no difference between the two in terms of taste or juiciness. So no more wasting time searing for me.