Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #3181

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's true, although I am all for parking on the far side of the parking lot on sunny days, for exercise.
I always park in "Outer Slobovia" unless it's pouring down rain and DW is with me. She grumps when her hair gets wet so my truck won't get scratched. Women are funny that way.

Congrats on the new car! It looks nice.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #3182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
72? Wow, no way can I play in your group............
We play old man's golf. A 72 on my course would be 85(or worse) on a course like English Turn.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #3183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jumping in on this thread while I am pretending to be FIRED, LOL. I have some extended time off between jobs (we just moved from MS to AL 1 1/2 wks ago), and thus I've found a little more time to peruse the board.

Today I sorted through all of our files, throwing out old stuff, reorganizing, etc. etc. What a job!

My biggest success of the day, however, was that I found the stapler! Woo-hoo! I've been hunting for it for days. It wasn't in any boxes. I had thrown it in the bottom of my backpack last minute as we were packing up. Funny thing is, I had checked the backpack several times already. Just didn't dig deep enough.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #3184
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I always park in "Outer Slobovia" unless it's pouring down rain and DW is with me. She grumps when her hair gets wet so my truck won't get scratched. Women are funny that way.

Congrats on the new car! It looks nice.
Thank you!! I love it already. This afternoon I wanted to drive, but had no reason to do so. So, I drove to Best Buy to pick up TurboTax. There were only a half dozen cars there, all parked right by the door. So, I chose a parking space in Outer Slobovia next to a curb, with no car within at least a hundred feet of me (three rows and 20 spaces away from the nearest car). The very next car to enter the parking lot parked RIGHT NEXT to me, of course. When I came out, there were no more cars in the lot than before but a DIFFERENT car was parked right next to me. No scratches or dings, but I am going to have to figure out another tactic or else just harden myself to the fact that no car ever goes without dings and dents. Really, I wouldn't have cared too much if my old car was dented but this one is so beautiful and pristine.

I took it on the Interstate yesterday and it was amazing. This morning when I got into it, it had just 50 miles on it. My car is such a virgin.

The only negative thing I can find about my car, is that it doesn't get the gas mileage that my Solara got. That's kind of shocking when you are used to great mileage. But, to tell the truth the last time I got gas for my Solara was in September and I still had 1/4 tank left when I sold it. So, worse mileage isn't going to break the bank. I didn't really need a new car with only 39,006 miles on my Solara, but a new car upon retirement was something I had planned for years and besides, I just love it. Definitely a want, not a need.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #3185

I went for coffee and breakfast with a few of the coffee gang, then 'table hopped' for a while visiting with several folks that I know. Stopped home for a few minutes, then headed out for the monthly luncheon with the Union retirees.....had a REALLY good mushroom & Swiss burger and sweet potato fries!! Then came home and downloaded a few things to my iPhone...including iStooges! Love the Stooges, so I'm having a blast with this time-waster!! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #3186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it doesn't get the gas mileage that my Solara got.
You'll probably get 2-3 MPG better mileage after the tires have been worn in. Also look into inflating them to the absolute max.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #3187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Also look into inflating them to the absolute max.
That would probably improve mileage some. However, I see no reason to vary from the tire pressure recommended by the car manufacturer to give the best combination of comfort, safety and mileage - especially for someone who drives as little as W2R.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #3188
Administrator

Well, that's true and I will probably follow whatever the manual says for tire pressure, but it's good to hear the mileage will improve all by itself.

Actually I think the mileage computer just hasn't got the right mileage because I have only driven 55 miles or so. Yesterday after only 20 miles or so it said I was getting 9 mpg (!) and today it said 12.1 mpg. That is insane. The car is supposed to get 19 in the city, and 26 on the highway. It probably needs more miles driven to be able to get a handle on it. I mean gee -- I know I got the V-6, but still it shouldn't be that bad. Oh well. My 4-cylinder Solara used to routinely get 35+ mpg, even though its official mpg rating was less.

I also let the insurance agent talk me into full coverage, including collision. Since I drive so little, I thought I'd self-insure my own car and max out on liability but she talked me into the "full ride". I guess that's a good idea for the first year or two. Maybe. Anyway, as little as I drive the bad mileage will cost me less than the extravagant insurance.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #3189

Nice car, W2R! A new car is something of a mood booster and you quite likely will save money on repairs in the near future. Good choice.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #3190
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well actually, not all of us. I normally park as far out as I can, both to minimize scratches & dents and just to get the car parked as quickly as possible. SO, on the other hand, will drive around and around (even in a congested lot), trying to find the closest spot in that he can. I keep warning him that he's inviting a fender bender that way, but does he listen?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #3191
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So, I chose a parking space in Outer Slobovia next to a curb, with no car within at least a hundred feet of me (three rows and 20 spaces away from the nearest car). The very next car to enter the parking lot parked RIGHT NEXT to me, of course. When I came out, there were no more cars in the lot than before but a DIFFERENT car was parked right next to me.
Isn't that just amazing? That always seems to happen to me, too. I figure it's some kind of weird mass psychology!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #3192
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Nice car, W2R! A new car is something of a mood booster and you quite likely will save money on repairs in the near future. Good choice.
It is most definitely a mood booster, and my Solara might eventually have needed more repairs. Thanks. I am just in total awe of the complexity of electronics in it. And it drives so smoothly, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Isn't that just amazing? That always seems to happen to me, too. I figure it's some kind of weird mass psychology!
It is! Similarly I have noticed at grocery stores that I can make people buy things. If I act really interested in an item, pick it up, read the label, then put it back or vacillate and act really interested and then walk away without it, virtually always the nearest person will pick up that precise item and buy it. I should be paid just to grocery shop.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #3193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The very next car to enter the parking lot parked RIGHT NEXT to me, of course. When I came out, there were no more cars in the lot than before but a DIFFERENT car was parked right next to me.

My car is such a virgin.
Don't you understand, W2R, they're in love!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #3194
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Don't you understand, W2R, they're in love!
That's it! That's it!!!

(neat photo!)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #3195
Give me a forum ...

Well I guess I'll join in....congrats on the new wheels W2R!....and a belated Happy Birthday to Moe...

I've been a mess most of the day waiting for the results of my blood work. Finally got the news this afternoon and everything is fine. Whew...maybe I'll live another six months until my next tests..unless I get hit by a watermelon truck before then.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Well actually, not all of us. I normally park as far out as I can, both to minimize scratches & dents and just to get the car parked as quickly as possible......
That's the way I am too! I figure it's just as quick (or quicker) to just park out in the north 40 and walk in, than to drive around looking for a parking space near the entrance.

Many times I'll take my Mom to the grocery store and drop her off at the door. Then I'll go park out in the boonies where I still have a view of the entrance, and wait for her to come out, and then drive up to pick her up. While sitting out there I watch people drive around and around looking for "the" parking place. One day I watched a lady drive through the parking lot (up and down every aisle).....6 times before she finally parked the car about half way out in the lot!!! Unbelievable!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #3197
Give me a forum ...

Today I went and did a new will . Things had changed since my old one so it needed to be done . It is just so creepy talking about what will happen when you die and what if this person also dies . It is a fact of life but hard to deal with .
Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #3198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I went and did a new will . Things had changed since my old one so it needed to be done . It is just so creepy talking about what will happen when you die and what if this person also dies . It is a fact of life but hard to deal with .
I understand completely.
I went through a similar exercise with my Revocable Trust a few years back. It was mentally rattling but I persevered.
I am very proud of you for doing what we both know is an extremely tough thing to face. No explanation needed.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #3199
Give me a forum ...

I need to enter my 1099-B data into TurboTax and am valiantly avoiding doing it.
So I came up with a full set of legitimate excuses to goof off. Letterman would be proud of me.

10. The sun is shining, temp is 6F.
9. The housecleaner was here.
8. My nails are too long to type, i.e. I might make a data entry mistake.
7. I have email to answer.
6. A case of citrus wine from FL was due to arrive via FedEx and I had to watch for the truck.
5. The phone rang. I texted dh2b, and dh2b texted me back. I had to respond.
4. Laundry needed to be washed, hung up, dried, and folded.
3. Dinner had to be made.
2. I have email to read.

And the number 1 reason I didn't enter my 1099-Bs....

1. Today is...um...um...Friday.

TG for desktop calendars.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #3200

I went to the DR for a physical. Its really hard to fake a cough. Then I spent 3 hrs playing a video game.

I almost feel dirty...about the video game or is it the cough..Man good thing parsley potatoes and steamed broccoli tonight. Oh withsour cream too and butter. Have to include some animal fats.