what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thanks, don't want any (anatomically correct or "generic").:LOL:

I hear you Leonidas and I meant no criticism of you. Still, I'm always amazed when an entire state adopts laws that seem so (what's the word?) "judgmental". Here in Paradise, we have a couple of gals advertising (admittedly on late night TV) some of those anatomically correct devices - all colors of the rainbow. Just the names make me giggle and blush in front of DW as we play channel roulette.

I guess my real concern would be that folks seek to control private behavior that has no spill over into public (unless "real" laws are being broken as well).

Again, I understand that LEOs just do what they are told to do. :flowers:
Don't sweat it. I felt a tiny pinch and I pinched back - just a little.

As to controlling peoples' private lives - it would be a better world if people would just keep their private stuff, well, private. It's difficult to convince reasonably behaving intelligent people that some laws that seem unreasonably intrusive are not intended to regulate them, but rather the idiots who can't control their own behavior. Oh well, like Jimoh's signature line says - some people's stupidity is someone elses job security.

Oh, and FYI, we never regulated obscene devices per se, rather we regulated public displays and wholesale promotion. But it's still a law best gone off to history as an oddity.
Photoshop Elements 8 arrived at the front door and I had some time to play with it before leaving with DW for the last session of the digital photography class. Left thinking about a better camera than the one we have.
Funny how that works - I bought Elements 8 when I rebuilt my computer a few weeks ago, and one of the first things I thought was - "Wow, I really need a new camera."

The cheap bastard in me is refusing to relinquish the funds though.

Seen this:

New Interest in Growing Edible Mushrooms at Home - NYTimes.com

and wondered how things are going with your project.
I wish I had a better report. :(
First the bad news...Just 2 days ago, I had to discard all but one of the containers. A few dots of an unknown green mold were starting to develop in all of the 4 Shiitake containers. Most of it was confined to the pre-innoculated wooden dowels I bought, so I suspect they were the source. I'll have to throw away the rest of them. :nonono:
And now for the good news...:D
The Pearl Oyster container is very happy and I can see the growing medium is getting nicely colonized. I'm going to "plant" the rest of the Pearl Oyster innoculated dowels before I leave next week.
I will clean the inside of the plastic dome with alcohol to sterilize it, just in case. I'm hoping that I caught the green mold before it matured and spread outside the growing containers.
I look at it every day to check the water level and enjoy watching the changes in my developing fungal colony. :flowers:

Original "planting" time and April photos, respectively. Not much difference to see now, but when the mycelia decide to go bonkers, the entire brown growing medium will turn white.

Attachments

• PearlOysterMar10.jpg
    PearlOysterMar10.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PearlOysterApr1510.jpg
    PearlOysterApr1510.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2
Original "planting" time and April photos, respectively. Not much difference to see now, but when the mycelia decide to go bonkers, the entire brown growing medium will turn white.
I bet people sure are careful when they browse your fridge for leftovers...

Went for a training flight with my niece's husband in a Gulfstream GIV - not exactly LBYM - we went through $8000 of fuel in 1.5 hours

g4.jpg

I got my iPod touch today. It's quite nice. I'm amazed that after all these years, there isn't a clear way of exporting contact or calendar info from one app to another. I had to export contacts to windows address book, and then to the ipod. Still haven't gotten the calendar stuff moved.

I was going to post this with the iPod, but at this point, it isn't easily done.

I got my iPod touch today. It's quite nice. I'm amazed that after all these years, there isn't a clear way of exporting contact or calendar info from one app to another. I had to export contacts to windows address book, and then to the ipod. Still haven't gotten the calendar stuff moved.

I was going to post this with the iPod, but at this point, it isn't easily done.

Sounds like fun! I'm sure you will get used to it soon. I would imagine that it has a lot of capabilities. :)

Watched the workers demolish my front porch and back deck. Took a young disabled friend out to lunch. Revised some stuff. Talked to an old friend.

Is this a late April Fools joke ?:) If not have fun as soon as you get over the shock of spending money !

Went for a training flight with my niece's husband in a Gulfstream GIV - not exactly LBYM - we went through $8000 of fuel in 1.5 hours.
Am I the only one that went..:eek:..on this one? I sure hope y'all enjoyed it! :greetings10:

I started the day moving rocks. Trying to fix an erosion problem. Then rested. Then mowed but irked I couldn't get the grass catcher to stay on. Then rested. Then blew grass off the deck and managed to painfully trap my fingers in the gizmo that directs the grass out. Iced & bandaged my wounds while pathetically whimpering. Murder a bunch more stink bugs. I'm getting really tired of this stink bug explosion.

But tomorrow I get to go bike riding. Yea!

Plan A - I went downtown to join in (impromptu) on another one of those weekly no-fail lunch deals with another group of former co-w*rkers, except nobody showed up. Hmmm...must have been something big going on for them to miss this. Oh well. I treated myself to a southwest cheeseburger (chipotle mayo and medium hot fried peppers and BACON and lettuce). I ate alone. :(

Recovery Plan B - called up my friend playing hookey from w*rk and met him at his Legion. We talked all afternoon over a few cold beers (NA beer for me cuz I had a loooong way to drive back).

dh2b cooked tonight - subs to go. :LOL:

Did more internet research for a friend who is working with the the higher education policy folks in one of the Texas gubenatorial campaigns. It is just a bunch of Googling and sorting through facts and figures. No politics at such grunt levels, just putting together a correct picture of the current state of affairs.

I was struck again by how different the world is now than just a few years ago. State and federal agencies maintain excellent websites, with raw data and analysis available with just a few clicks. This stuff was always publicly available, but getting it involved a trip to the state capital and entre into the archives of state agencies. Now, everybody can access it instantly. Where before, a few eyes reviewed the data, now thousands of eyes are sifting through the data. It has just gotta be better.

Today I ran across a document from 1988. It was important enough that somebody had scanned it in and posted it on an agency website. It was great to be able to access it, but it was a picture of text, not searchable. Couldn't select and copy text from it. I had to retype some of it. Oh woe is me. Now documents go straight to websites. It really drove home how much things have changed.

My friend is another story. He is in his eighties and a retired high level bureaucrat/diplomat/federal lawyer. Volunteering this way makes him still relevant, and he revels in it.

All in all, a good day.

Am I the only one that went..:eek:..on this one?

No! I was blown away also. For one awful moment, after seeing it, I considered that more than my youth was misspent. $89 a minute on fuel... Really.

Last edited by a moderator:
No! I was blown away also. For one awful moment, after seeing it, I considered that more than my youth was misspent. $89 a minute on fuel... Really.
It's just an itty-bitty jet with little fuel tanks, so they can't get a volume discount...

I think flying is even worse than RV'ing or equestrians-- if you're asking about affordability then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Spent the morning cleaning up a pot of chicken soup I managed to spill yesterday.

Am I the only one that went..:eek:..on this one? I sure hope y'all enjoyed it! :greetings10:

It was an extremely great ride - probably something I'll never get a chance to do again. I'm glad I didn't have to pick up the tab.

My niece's husband is the co-pilot in training to be the captain. He had a chance to get me on board since it was just the two of us with the trainer pilot. I sat in the jump seat between the 2 pilots with my headset on with a full view of all controls and out the windshield.

I think we burned more fuel than they usually do because we were doing a lot of training maneuvers -landings, takeoffs, 180 degree curves, engine stalls. It took us 90 minutes of practice moves to get to the destination airport and only 9 minutes to get home

It was an extremely great ride - probably something I'll never get a chance to do again. I'm glad I didn't have to pick up the tab.

My niece's husband is the co-pilot in training to be the captain. He had a chance to get me on board since it was just the two of us with the trainer pilot. I sat in the jump seat between the 2 pilots with my headset on with a full view of all controls and out the windshield.

I think we burned more fuel than they usually do because we were doing a lot of training maneuvers -landings, takeoffs, 180 degree curves, engine stalls. It took us 90 minutes of practice moves to get to the destination airport and only 9 minutes to get home
Engine stalls?!! :eek:

Thanks for the details regarding the flight. Even with the engine stalls, that is one event I would LOVE to experience! :D

Not so glamorous, skirted volcano ash and acrued 9939 frequent flier miles in coach. That shower feels great.

Not so glamorous, skirted volcano ash and acrued 9939 frequent flier miles in coach. That shower feels great.

I'll bet!! Once you get some sleep and get over jet lag, you should feel 100% better.

Engine stalls?!! :eek:

Thanks for the details regarding the flight. Even with the engine stalls, that is one event I would LOVE to experience! :D

That training pilot really put my niece's husband through the paces. He was sweating. Sometimes buzzers would go off if we were banking too steep and the plane shuddered when we lowered the landing gear at 10,000 feet to further slow down the plane(I guess that helped to stall the engines).

This morning was pretty lazy. I slept in, read the forum and read on my Kindle while doing laundry and dishes, then had lunch at a Chinese restaurant with Frank. We went over to his house, and I resumed reading this forum and a few others and reading on my Kindle, while he worked on some repairs in his attic. I also got the task of handing him tools so that he didn't have to climb down every time he needed something.

Finally he finished the repairs, cleaned up, and we went out to dinner at our favorite Creole/Italian restaurant. I think that was the ultimate test and proved that my digestive system has returned to normal. :D After dinner he drove around the city and told me some amazing stories of his wild youth here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom