what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Micah. A name given by his previous owner. Not your typical dog name, but he knew it. So I kept it.

Years ago we got a "used" dog named Zeus. Actually, his entire name was "Chief God Zeus." We changed his name to Spike. :)

Today I did something I have never done in one round of golf and I have played for over 42 years. I had 2 eagles. Made a 30+ foot putt for one and chipped in for another from about 20 yards. Didn't make any birdies and shot 74. Made a couple of double bogeys to cancel them out though. :(

Today I did something I have never done in one round of golf and I have played for over 42 years. I had 2 eagles. Made a 30+ foot putt for one and chipped in for another from about 20 yards. Didn't make any birdies and shot 74. Made a couple of double bogeys to cancel them out though. :(

Holy Cow! There aren't many days like that in a person's life. What an experience.

Frank's Murano is still in the shop, so I got to drive my Venza today. I get such a kick out of driving it! What a car. Anyway, we went to lunch (shared a po'boy), and then saw Ironman II. We only had to pay senior matinee prices, of course ($5), and the theater had no more than 5 other people in it so that was a lot of fun and great entertainment. It was right across the street from my former workplace so that was kind of neat. :)

Eagles, birdies and bogeys...oh my! ;)

Got up this morning early enough to have my coffee, shower and get prepared to meet a friend from the PD for lunch. Replied to some emails and PMs, moved some money around, then before I knew it, it was time for supper.

DH hopped on the motorcycle and made a cheeseburger run to Sonic..(they're half priced on Tuesdays) and of course had to get some onion rings. This has become a ritual now...whether we're in the mood for cheeseburgers or not. :D

Later we sat on the patio watching the clouds float by, then watched a little boob tube and devoured some fresh strawberries. I'm exhausted...what a day....:)

Yesterday I went to Iron Man 2. Meh. Some dialogue would be nice and too bad Robert Downey Jr. can't even play himself. Mickey Rourke wasn't bad though. And then had a 79 cent taco from Taco Johns for Taco Tuesday. Feeling trashy.

Yesterday I went to Iron Man 2. Meh. Some dialogue would be nice and too bad Robert Downey Jr. can't even play himself. Mickey Rourke wasn't bad though. And then had a 79 cent taco from Taco Johns for Taco Tuesday. Feeling trashy.
I watched it yesterday and was thinking "Wow!!" Way over the top.

But dialogue seems optional in high-ordnance flicks. And I enjoy picking out the one-liners which would be classics on submarine duty, like "You might want to lead with that one next time"...

I wonder if they had to get rid of some of Mickey's tattoos for the movie. And I wonder if they used any makeup on him. Scariest appearance since Keith Richards in one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.

And whose "brilliant" idea was it to give Larry Ellison a cameo? Was he a seven-figure investor?

Last edited:
Today I am working 8 hours and then going to the gym. Later will have a glass of Proseco and watch "Hurt Locker." (May need 2-3 glass of Proseco with this movie.)

Hey everyone :greetings10: I just returned from the 4th galaxy...:LOL:
I haven't been here much because the weather is nice and I've been playing catch-up on car inspections and lawn mowing and all sorts of stuff.
I'll be back on a little more once it rains. :(

I planted my summer garden! DH had roto-tilled it, and it was already for rows and hills. Then came 12 tomato plants, 12 green and yellow pepper plants, beets, sun flowers, green beans acorn squash, flying saucer squash, yellow squash, and gourds. Next will be the corn...Yea!

Oh, just the usual reckless Boomer spending.

Our kid is counting down her final 87 days, checking the "last" things off her list. As I've mentioned before, we're hoping to keep her busy with the "last"s so that she doesn't go looking for her personal "first"s.

Today we enjoyed 2-4-foot morning surfing in Waikiki and lunched poolside. While spouse & kid were checking the stores I stayed poolside to savor a mid-afternoon shave ice along with a good [-]bikini[/-] book. Now we're hanging out in the hotel room until we go to the sunset luau. It's our 20th or 30th luau, but at this point watching the visitors is almost as much fun as watching the dancers.

Tomorrow after dawn patrol we're going to walk Kalakaua and the International Marketplace. (She's looking for surfing stickers to put in her dorm room.) We'll lunch at one of her favorite Waikiki restaurants (to be determined later). Then we're going to do what any good parent would do for their kid-- take her to the Waikiki Gun Shop to burn through a few clips at their indoor range before she starts NROTC small-arms training.

Then we're going to do what any good parent would do for their kid-- take her to the Waikiki Gun Shop to burn through a few clips at their indoor range before she starts NROTC small-arms training.
Hmph, isn't Hawaii one of those "we don't like guns and you can't have one" places? She'll like Texas - we have a different view on such things here. Here's a link to a nice indoor range that's close to her school. She can get her concealed carry permit there as well (as soon as she's 21): Welcome to Top Gun Range of Texas | Shooting Range, Retail Store, Training Classes, Certified Handgu

Spent half of yesterday playing around with Photoshop fixing up pictures that DW took at her niece's Special Olympics track day in Baltimore. Out of the many there were a few that I could crop some nice images from, do a little touch-up here and there and viola! a nice photo. One in particular that DW likes is of niece sitting on the bleachers with her best friend that I cropped with a feathered oval and blurred the rest of the background.

So we went out to Wally world and bought some picture frames, printed the good ones and framed them, and copied the rest of the photos to a CD. All that will be given to niece when we next go over there.

Hmph, isn't Hawaii one of those "we don't like guns and you can't have one" places? She'll like Texas - we have a different view on such things here. Here's a link to a nice indoor range that's close to her school. She can get her concealed carry permit there as well (as soon as she's 21): Welcome to Top Gun Range of Texas | Shooting Range, Retail Store, Training Classes, Certified Handgu
Well, it's intended to give the police an advantage by limiting us residents to no more firepower than what HPD's finest is carrying. And many pig hunters consider firearms unsporting-- that's what dogs & bows are for.

The good news is that when my FIL moved here he decided to give up his 9mm Beretta. The one that he'd taken to leaving loaded, chambered, & (reportedly) safetied in his bedroom nightstand. That would've been an uncomfortable grandkid sleepover discussion.

The bad news is that very few around here see weapons training as a good thing, even in the military. One of the Navy's most dangerous weapons is the inport duty officer carrying a firearm. But, hey, they shot a whole clip last year!

In any case, Hawaii's "restrictive" gun laws pale in comparison to countries that don't have a Second Amendment. The Japanese visitors see the Waikiki Gun Shop (which must pay a horrendous rent for the privilege of hurling lead around) as a licentious, illicit thrill for which they'll pay top dollar. And at least our kid has stopped flinching when she pulls the trigger.

I had a friend visit from the UK a few years ago and the first thing he wanted to do was go to the shooting range with a few of my guns.

I had a friend visit from the UK a few years ago and the first thing he wanted to do was go to the shooting range with a few of my guns.

I noticed that when engineers from Europe or Asia were stationed here for any length of time they were keen to drive the biggest honking car that they could buy. I guess it must seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Spent half of yesterday playing around with Photoshop fixing up pictures that DW took at her niece's Special Olympics track day in Baltimore. Out of the many there were a few that I could crop some nice images from, do a little touch-up here and there and viola! a nice photo. One in particular that DW likes is of niece sitting on the bleachers with her best friend that I cropped with a feathered oval and blurred the rest of the background.

So we went out to Wally world and bought some picture frames, printed the good ones and framed them, and copied the rest of the photos to a CD. All that will be given to niece when we next go over there.

That is the best gift ever! She will love it. You are a great uncle. (As opposed to a great-uncle!)

Yeah, I think it's a theme with them. This is Mike the Brit engineer who was working here for a while sometime back. We took him out shooting and somewhere along the line we decided to deck him out and take a souvenir photo for him to take back home and show the lads. He promised to tell them all that this was the normal everyday attire for the average Joe.

Attachments

• scan0175.jpg
    scan0175.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 10
I'm on my way outside to do battle (actually just a holding action -they are undefeatable) with Canada thistle in the front plantings. Found a bargain this a.m. at Wal-Mart: I use fluoride rinse daily because of sensitive teeth. ACT rinse costs over $6.00 at the supermarket. Wal-Mart's brand "Equate" has identical ingredients, same size (18 oz) for $2.48.
Amethyst

I won a prize this morning!

Lolling in bed listening to a chat show on the radio. They had a guest who has been writing horror stories for years and is finally having his first one published in an anthology. The prize: a prepublication copy of the book.

The quiz: Where was Bram Stoker (Dracula) born?
I knew the answer (Dublin, Ireland) and called in immediately. So a copy of the book is on its way to me!!

:cool:

I decided to log on and do some reading and posting before someone sends out the sled dog team looking for me. :LOL:
Enjoying the nice cool gloomy weather. :( I thought about mowing the lawn, but I talked myself right out of it. :whistle:

Yeah, I think it's a theme with them.
He promised to tell them all that this was the normal everyday attire for the average Joe.
She did much better this time. Southpaw shooter. No left or right twitches, although she tends to anticipate the trigger and leans forward. But the rangemaster spent a lot of time with her and she "gets it". Good enough for a Navy sharpshooter ribbon.* To get any better she'd have to have a Marine instructor and an ammunition budget.

While she was "plinking away" with her 9mm, three Japanese visitors were shooting .357 Magnums. Holy cow, what a flame that barrel puts out.

*[By which I mean "about an hour better than nothing at all."]

Yeah, I think it's a theme with them. This is Mike the Brit engineer who was working here for a while sometime back. We took him out shooting and somewhere along the line we decided to deck him out and take a souvenir photo for him to take back home and show the lads. He promised to tell them all that this was the normal everyday attire for the average Joe.
We did almost the same thing with my friend except he wanted a cowboy hat. He must have cornered the market on 35mm film when he got here, He had a good camera with motor drive so I went through several rolls of film on auto so he could try to get just the right shot of him firing a Colt 1911, a Ruger .44 magnum. and a Winchester lever action. Unfortunately it was his camera and film so I don't have copies. I should e-mail and see if he ever scanned them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom