Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Played with the bunny, gave him my green-tea teabag (yummy). Wrote a letter to my newphew at Ranger School. Cleaned the kitchen. Fed the worms.

Pruned 100 feet of 10' tall bougainvillea hedge. (Luckily it only needs it 6-8 times a year.) We'll pick up the pieces during the next few evenings but we'll have no trouble making green-waste quota for Friday's routine pickup. (Whew, whatta relief. Gotta have ER goals.) Harvested papaya, tangerines, & lemons.

Called the gate contractor to find out why he didn't show Saturday. Turns out that keeping in touch isn't his strong point, and he was on his way up. So not only did I not do any further work today, I got to watch him drill four pairs of holes and set the posts for three new gates and a small fence.

Made a bunch of other phone calls-- exterminator, doctor's routine checkup followup, dentist's appointment, window-tinting contractor. (I'm in much better shape than our house.) Talked with a neighbor about painting her master bedroom, putting in new light fixtures, and fixing her leaky bathtub faucet.

When our kid gets home from work she may be ready to go to taekwondo tonight (advanced class) instead of tomorrow night (beginner's class). So I'm gonna have to squeeze in a nap after gate guy is done and before she gets home. Don't know if I can handle the performance pressure.

After W2R's comments I verified that today was indeed a great day to update the ER portfolio balance!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1/2 day of work
got daughter's car inspected
went to DMV, found out we need proof of address to register her car here
helped her organize stuff she's taking to college
watching olympics
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Up at 06:15 a.m. coffee and breakfast.
Check email and this site.
To the gym at 08:30 for an hour on the treadmill and local gossip.
Lunch and nap.
Clean and put battery in Mother's hearing aid (alzheimers) and visit her in the nursing home.
Library to pick up a reserved book (The Blue Zones)
Amazon.com: The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest: Dan Buettner: Books
Dinner
2 glasses wine
pre-season football and olympics.

Tomorrow I'm getting some culture. To the Kimbell museum for impressionists paintings. Hope it doesn't mess up the nap.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Played with the bunny, gave him my green-tea teabag (yummy).
Is this bunny cute and fuzzy?

Quote:
Wrote a letter to my newphew at Ranger School. Cleaned the kitchen. Fed the worms.

Pruned 100 feet of 10' tall bougainvillea hedge. (Luckily it only needs it 6-8 times a year.) We'll pick up the pieces during the next few evenings but we'll have no trouble making green-waste quota for Friday's routine pickup. (Whew, whatta relief. Gotta have ER goals.) Harvested papaya, tangerines, & lemons.

Called the gate contractor to find out why he didn't show Saturday. Turns out that keeping in touch isn't his strong point, and he was on his way up. So not only did I not do any further work today, I got to watch him drill four pairs of holes and set the posts for three new gates and a small fence.

Made a bunch of other phone calls-- exterminator, doctor's routine checkup followup, dentist's appointment, window-tinting contractor. (I'm in much better shape than our house.) Talked with a neighbor about painting her master bedroom, putting in new light fixtures, and fixing her leaky bathtub faucet.

When our kid gets home from work she may be ready to go to taekwondo tonight (advanced class) instead of tomorrow night (beginner's class). So I'm gonna have to squeeze in a nap after gate guy is done and before she gets home. Don't know if I can handle the performance pressure.
I can verify from your activities that you do INDEED live the life of a non-traditional butler.

Quote:
After W2R's comments I verified that today was indeed a great day to update the ER portfolio balance!
Wasn't it GREAT? My balance was once again higher than it has ever been, and is already approaching what I had planned for it to be by ER-day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Skipped Kayaking, 55 degrees in August, and windy bleh.
Swept chimney. 1 shovelful of creosote.
Checked out first bloom on Hibiscus, pink.
Walkabout check rest of plants.
Rest and gofoff.
Went to greasy spoon, coffee and BS.
On the way back brake ABS light came on.
Troubleshoot, low signal right rear, pull all four to clean crud.
Spend 3 hrs trying to find reasonable price, $170 average new.
Dinner, with vino.
Another try for cheap. Find one used for $30.- Sent email to verify.
DW made biscuits.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dropped off daughter at High School for 'band camp'. Told her I didn't want any stories when she got back that started with, "This one time, at band camp....."

Got to work at 8am, started filling/dispensing rx's.
Talked with co-workers about mens relay -gold medal- swim last night, one word *bitchin* (hope that doesn't date me too much).
Had lunch from Rumbi Island grill at 1:30.
Left 2 hours early at 4pm because we were slow (only 250 rx's).
Read some "Wheel of time" while on the throne.
12 y.o. son just had to have some mike/headphone combo for WOW game, so went to Gamestop.
Checking board getting ready for grilled ham and cheese for dinner and some more Olympics tonight
Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

• Work at 7:30.
  • Checked email and here briefly.
  • Meeting with new recruit physician. Fun.
  • Worked on some new clinical protocols.
  • Half a clinic session today (meetings conflicted) where I saw a colleague physician with a DVT of his leg, 2 new consults for high risk surgery assessment, and a patient with newly discovered cancer and diabetes - the latter is mine to manage while his oncologists do their thing.
  • Lunch and the paper.
  • Afternoon meetings. Lectured students based on an unfortunately interesting case of hemochromatosis leading to liver cancer.
  • Took a call from a young colleague working in the ER stuck on a patient matter (patient sinking fast, no ICU beds available, family nearly berserk with worry and frustration); went down and added my gravitas to calm everyone down; eased out a less sick patient from the ICU and got our patient admitted; reassured family of displaced patient that his safety was not impacted by this move.
  • Home, ran 5 miles in 86 degrees, 50% humidity. Very purging and enjoyable.
  • Here on the board again after dinner (wild salmon, salad, great french bread, ginger snaps.
  • Good night.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Read some "Wheel of time" while on the throne.
I knew we'd end up here... T-M-I !!!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #29

Slept in -- til 7 AM, but the construction work next door took care of any further dalliance. Had to get up to close the windows against the dust.

Ate breakfast, read the paper, checked email and this board.

Vacuumed the upstairs. Planned on vacuuming downstairs -- decided to delay that plan. Made an appointment with the vet for the dog.

Had lunch. Ran to the bank to deposit the condominium association dues for the month. Checked out the local CD rates for the association.

Read the snail mail. ran a scan on the hard drive. Took the dog for a long walk.

Dinner.

Pretty much a nothing day.

-- Rita
Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a partial list of my exhausting day up to now, 6:30p.m. Did the usual morning routine, took a bath, had coffee and breakfast, put my jammies back on. Wrote checks for the bills, paid one on-line. Called in sick around noon; told my boss I'd try to come in a couple of days this week (for 2 - 3 hrs. each). He said that would be ok. I wasn't negotiating, that was all I had to offer. Had leisurely lunch.

Read for a while, after the codeine kicked in, posted some cr*p on the net; tried to get into my health ins. website, failed, realized I was on the wrong site twice, found the right one, bookmarked it, ordered more codeine.

Started a hobby project (see photo), put fancy box on top of radio to prevent "Fluffy" from walking all over the buttons and changing the station to what, kitty rock? SO came in early to take care of neighbor's cats, said why don't you put feet on the box to hold it away from the buttons, I put a paperback on either side of the buttons as a temporary solution because a five minute project is enuf for today. Briefly contemplated the fact that Bose has re-engineered their radios with no buttons at all, neither innies nor outies.

Finished SO's crossword puzzle. Hmm, equivalent to 10 sawbucks is a Cnote, it'll bring a tear to your eye is not dust but duct; still contemplating the smallness of the circled letters: iota, hint, atom, trace, bit. May go onto a cheat website later to see what others say about the puzzle.

Conned SO into making tasty dinner.

I'm so close to ER I can taste it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2057.jpg (517.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Is this bunny cute and fuzzy?
We're in the heat of August, so his little bunny thermostat kicked in and he's molting like a giant mangy furball. Not so cute. Definitely fuzzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Wasn't it GREAT? My balance was once again higher than it has ever been, and is already approaching what I had planned for it to be by ER-day.
I'm just glad that value investors have once again re-discovered Berkshire Hathaway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
... and added my gravitas to calm everyone down...
Great description!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #32

Spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon on a ladder installing new window trim around two second story bedroom windows.

During lunch the DHL guy delivered an overnight letter with a patent application I had to sign and have notarized and return TODAY in a FEDEX envelope. This was a strange patent application, all in Chinese with a rough English translation. Funny to see my name in Chinese characters. A quick trip to the credit union got the notary's signature and then buzzed past the post office where FEDEX, DHL and UPS have drop boxes out front.

Got the windows finished about 3:30 and then watered DW's giant elephant ear plants and cooled it after that.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Here's a partial list of my exhausting day up to now, 6:30p.m. Did the usual morning routine, took a bath, had coffee and breakfast, put my jammies back on. Wrote checks for the bills, paid one on-line. Called in sick around noon; told my boss I'd try to come in a couple of days this week (for 2 - 3 hrs. each). He said that would be ok. I wasn't negotiating, that was all I had to offer. Had leisurely lunch.

Read for a while, after the codeine kicked in, posted some cr*p on the net; tried to get into my health ins. website, failed, realized I was on the wrong site twice, found the right one, bookmarked it, ordered more codeine.

Started a hobby project (see photo), put fancy box on top of radio to prevent "Fluffy" from walking all over the buttons and changing the station to what, kitty rock? SO came in early to take care of neighbor's cats, said why don't you put feet on the box to hold it away from the buttons, I put a paperback on either side of the buttons as a temporary solution because a five minute project is enuf for today. Briefly contemplated the fact that Bose has re-engineered their radios with no buttons at all, neither innies nor outies.

Finished SO's crossword puzzle. Hmm, equivalent to 10 sawbucks is a Cnote, it'll bring a tear to your eye is not dust but duct; still contemplating the smallness of the circled letters: iota, hint, atom, trace, bit. May go onto a cheat website later to see what others say about the puzzle.

Conned SO into making tasty dinner.

I'm so close to ER I can taste it.
Next life, be a poet.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Next life, be a poet.
On my way to St. Ives, I met a man with 7 wifes...

Maybe I should write my own. I bound a small book as a kid, "Six poems by Cuppa." Maybe it will turn up in the obligatory clean out and re-arrange ER project.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Don't dis the cavewoman.
Far from it. In either direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I don't think I have ever seen anything quite so obvious before.
Are we supposed to be insufficient or obscure in our efforts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I regularly cheat on you guys
Useless without pictures.

Quote:
Played with the bunny
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
On my way to St. Ives, I met a man with 7 wifes...
Sadist or masochist?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

damn, y'all are some productive people to be retired!
I went to work, listened to music, answered the phone a few times, talked to the boss, bought some short term mutual funds for a client.
Came home and changed the dressing on my sheep's 4" laceration (having the vet sew it up was yesterday's fun time), gave her a shot of antibiotics, fed the rest of the mammals.
Drove to pole dancing class where I climbed to the ceiling for the first time (yay!) and came home with lots of bruises and tired arms.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Drove to pole dancing class where I climbed to the ceiling for the first time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Useless without pictures.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Drove to pole dancing class where I climbed to the ceiling for the first time (yay!) and came home with lots of bruises and tired arms.
Pictures required to verify this claim (not of the bruises).
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #39

Today was hit or miss. Friday, though, Friday was good.

A log washed up by shore so we rolled it across the beach and planted it vertically. The townspeople rejoiced at our mighty feat.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

1. Walked the dog.
2. Took DW to train station for her trip to work.
3. Ate breakfast.
4. Took a shower.
5. Watched some news.
6. Deposited a check in the bank.
7. Ate lunch and had great conversation with a number friends.
8. Chaired a Board meeting for an organization I belong to.
9. Went home and took dog for a walk.
10. Sat with dog in back yard and listened to breeze in trees.
11. Watched late afternoon news.
12. Picked up DW from train station.
13. Ate supper.
14. Took dog out again.
15. Watched U.S. win three consecutive swimming Gold medals while reading this forum and writing this summary.
Closed Thread