what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freebird, you look gorgeous!!! What was the occasion--just in the mood to wear a corsage?

I would make a terrible witness. I never saw the corsage, just the blue dress. Had to go back and verify it was really there.

Ok, ok that was a joke, I know it was a green dress :nonono:

Today, DW and I went for a drive. With the kids in school we finally went on one of our weekday adventures as we call them. No big deal, just a drive from Topaz Lake over Highway 89 to Markleeville, CA. Bee-utiful. We check out a campground that won't accommodate out trailer and Grover's Hot Springs, though we didn't swim. Just check prices, hours, etc. We voed to go back and swim when the weather gets cooler and eat lunch in Markleeville (couldn't today, DW is on the HCG diet). We plan to do things like this once a week. Get out, enjoy life, you know?

Look very closely at the photo of my storage building. Under the roof edge sloping left and right are 2 square bathouses. The smaller one on the right side of the photo is designed for adults. The larger one on the left is designed for breeding. I get more guano droppings from the one on the right side.
I got the plans for making both types from the NYS DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation) website. I had a lot of fun making them from scrap wood laying around the garage. The insides are lined with metal screen to give my little friends something to grab onto.
On a hot day, if I walk up underneath and off to the side VERY quietly, I can see them.
I have swampy land in the back 50 feet of my property. These bats take care of a lot of bugs for me. :flowers:

Nice pix. Between the bats and the swallows, a lot of the bugs get scooped up around our house. We have a tidal marsh (Chesapeake) off the back yard so there is always a crew of bats and swallows working the area. Cuts down on how often the county has to spray for mosquitoes.

Finished painting!! Well, all that was left was the baseboard, but there is something to be said for being done at long last. I even did the touch-up work. :angel: My back is killing me. Now, time for that first cup of coffee.

Yes, REWahoo. :rolleyes:

Think fall is coming, this morning the temp was 47F. Put on long pants for my morning walk. A cool walk was very pleasant.

Wow! I did not know that Pittsburgh can be that much cooler than Wash DC suburbs. They said we will see mid 90s today! Enjoy your cool weather!

Farmers' Market, grocery store, hardware store.
Bought people food and critter food.

Wow! I did not know that Pittsburgh can be that much cooler than Wash DC suburbs. They said we will see mid 90s today! Enjoy your cool weather!

We are in the Laurel Highlands, 'bout 60 miles from the 'burgh, it runs a little hotter there.

That was a mild anomaly for a few days, morning temps now run in the mid 50s. Today may get a as high as 88 here for an hour or so.

A joy, compared to Baltimore suburbs where I spent 15 years. DW's daughter spent the weekend with us. On her trips to us she always comments on the pleasant weather and the ability to breathe clean air.

So far today I've taken a shower, then took a bit of a bath...with my investments that is... I always update my spreadsheet the last day of each month. Perhaps I should have waited until the end of today as the market is up...:whistle:

Finished painting!! Well, all that was left was the baseboard, but there is something to be said for being done at long last. I even did the touch-up work. :angel: My back is killing me. Now, time for that first cup of coffee.

Yes, REWahoo. :rolleyes:

The plumber just fixed the broken gas line going to my front door gas lamp.

(Every strong hurricane seems to re-break it so in disgust I shut off the gas going there after H. Gustav.)

Anyway, now my gas lamp is working again. :D

W2R is on a roll! When are you interviewing real estate agents? :cool:

I have a good real estate agent, who sold me the house. So, I plan to ask him to sell it for me. The Gantt chart says it will be a few weeks.

I have a good real estate agent, who sold me the house. So, I plan to ask him to sell it for me. The Gantt chart says it will be a few weeks.

If the carpet is in pretty decent shape, hold off replacing. The buyer may want to pick out their own color, kind. In that case, you can negotiate a carpet "allowance," meaning a reduction in the price to cover part of the cost of replacing.

Just a thought.

-- Rita

If the carpet is in pretty decent shape, hold off replacing. The buyer may want to pick out their own color, kind. In that case, you can negotiate a carpet "allowance," meaning a reduction in the price to cover part of the cost of replacing.

Just a thought.

-- Rita

Good idea. I thought of this as well and I plan to get a pre-listing evaluation from my realtor to see what he thinks about carpet and paint. The housing market here is so bad! And so is my carpet. ;)

I know some people are courageous and utterly nonchalant about teetering over staggering, perilous heights. As for me, I would never even venture out onto your patio, much less repair a fence out there! :eek: Were I in your position, I would now call a high-rise fence painter instead of taking any further risks. But then, I admit that I am a chicken. Cluck cluck.)
Hey life is about living on the edge! Now that the sun has returned, here are a couple of shoots of the braces for the fence. When it gets warmer, I will paint them to match:

Attachments

• CIMG2831.JPG
    CIMG2831.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 2
  • CIMG2832.jpg
    CIMG2832.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG2830.jpg
    CIMG2830.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1
As much as I dislike painting, it sure beats w*rk.

Just remember, a bad day at home is better than a good day at w*rk. :D

I can't think of any home project I do that doesn't beat a day at w*rk.

Not even washing dishes.

As part of my goal to do a better job at ESR I have been trying to play more and post more.

So here goes. DW gave me the last two days to play at the lake house. The first day I rode the Sea Doo for a long ride and then took a nap in the hammock. I spent the afternoon fishing for bait for the next days fishing (Brim or Bluegill as the northerners call them). Yesterday I took the bait and a fishing buddy and I proceed to catch rockfish (striped bass). Not my best day by far but several over 10lbs which for that lake is not bad.

I managed to do a few items for DW today and spent the rest of the day on the framing for a new bathroom and walk-in closet we are putting in. DW has a ladies trip coming up which will give me the opportunity to pay her back for the time.

It was nice to spend a little time away from the kids but I am looking forward to their getting home soon.

Hey life is about living on the edge! Now that the sun has returned, here are a couple of shoots of the braces for the fence. When it gets warmer, I will paint them to match:

OMG, I would pay NOT to have those views!!! It is definitely a long, long way down from there.

Take care, kcowan!! We'd miss you if you tripped and fell. :flowers:

That is so true. I think that if my realtor tells me to paint the living room and den, I will hire painters, though. Paying for painters is better than painting, which is better than work. :D

OK, after completing the bathroom painting project and having the gas line fixed, I had lunch with Frank and we made another Goodwill run. This time it was with Frank's stuff, but tomorrow we will take another load or two of my stuff.

So far today I've taken a shower, then took a bit of a bath...with my investments that is... I always update my spreadsheet the last day of each month. Perhaps I should have waited until the end of today as the market is up...:whistle:

I always update mine on the last day of the month, too. Just got home from work today and thinking of crunching the numbers after the run-up...just for a pick-me-up, LOL. :whistle:

I adopted a dog today.:) Another 1st year of retirement item crossed off my list, now that I have the camper van and can take her with. She's a 5 month old smooth collie. I hope she doesn't get much bigger. My cats approved of her and took an instant liking to her. They had the veto power. Yesterday, I learned both of my cats have the beginnings of chronic renal failure.:( Tomorrow, the new dog goes to the vet.

I predict there will lots of dog training in my future.

Attachments

• 100_2202 new dog 5 months.JPG
    100_2202 new dog 5 months.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 3
IYesterday, I learned both of my cats have the beginnings of chronic renal failure.:(

This may not be as bad as it sounds - some cats can live many years with early chronic renal failure if it's managed well. I had a cat who lived with it for a number of years, and lived to be 20 years old (and ultimately died of something else). It never progressed past mild.

Did your vet talk to you about managing their diet and/or giving subcutaneous fluids if necessary? I learned to give the sub-q fluids and it isn't really too bad.

What a sweet dog, Tesaje! I don't know much about renal failure in cats, but I wish the best for them, and for you.

I adopted a dog today.:) Another 1st year of retirement item crossed off my list, now that I have the camper van and can take her with. She's a 5 month old smooth collie. I hope she doesn't get much bigger. My cats approved of her and took an instant liking to her. They had the veto power. Yesterday, I learned both of my cats have the beginnings of chronic renal failure.:( Tomorrow, the new dog goes to the vet.

I predict there will lots of dog training in my future.

Nice adoption! I took my mutt to the vet today for routine stuff. I don't see how people afford multiple pets. Just the routine visits and meds adds up pretty quick.

Went for a morning motorcycle ride, met with a fellow retiree who is now looking for a job and was interested in working part time where I do. By the time we left the restaurant the temp was 94 F or so and too hot to go riding anywhere else so went home.

DW came back home from two days babysitting her nephew's four-year old and nine-month old. <Sigh>. I gotta get that girl into a basic photography class. She took a few pictures but "stabs" at the shutter button and half her photos are always blurry. I've tried to teach her but I think it is one of those emotional things with women that she thinks I'm being critical instead of helpful and she tenses up, which of course makes it worse. So perhaps someone more distant would be better. Women are soooo complicated!

Looking forward to an air show on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom