what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Red Bay, AL at the Tiffin Motorhome Service Center for my last warranty visit. I had some issues that needed to be looked at and fixed and they found another one I did not know I had so I am here for another couple of weeks.

Today, I got up at 5:30AM to get me and the coach ready to go back in the bodyshop for final touchups to the repairs painted last week. After that I moved into the Welding bay to have them adjust my steps to create more room for the front wheel to turn without rubbing on them. Then I went to Bay Diesel for chassis maintenance--chassis lube, generator oil change, filter, antifreeze, engine oil, filter, hydrolic fluid replacement and both filters, brake check, wheel bearing check, air system dryers serviced, general engine and tranny check, wheel hubs etc etc.

I vacuumed and dusted the coach interior and cleaned out some cabinets that have been cluttered for a while. I hung up two new towel racks, polished the counter tops and the cabinets.

I also did some more work on DW's website and am continuing to teach myself about html, php, css and Joomla.

Other than that it has been a boring day at the Service Center.

Then I went to Bay Diesel for chassis maintenance--chassis lube, generator oil change, filter, antifreeze, engine oil, filter, hydrolic fluid replacement and both filters, brake check, wheel bearing check, air system dryers serviced, general engine and tranny check, wheel hubs etc etc.

Let me guess...$1,200?

Let me guess...$1,200?

In that ballpark. That included all filters including the air filter, two hydrolic filters, two fuel filters, an air dryer cartridge, genset air and oil filter, oil, antifreeze and a good inspection of the whole underside of the coach, which I can't get to.

They were actually cheaper than the place I use in Las Vegas (what isn't cheaper than anything in Las Vegas?).

I thought about doing some of this myself but I don't really have the means to deal with 5 gallons of oil and the other fluids and would rather have the "experts" do it. To me is is worth the price once a year or so. This was actually my 36 month; 30k mile service so it included more stuff that the usual annual one.

I thought about doing some of this myself but...

Yep, I have the truck quick-lube folks do mine. I did the air filter change myself and it was a week before I could stand up straight without my back screaming at me. There are some things I have the knowledge and the theoretical ability to do - but not the will.

attachment.php

That's one bad set of dentures!

:nonono:

Someone needs to start a thread to compare the performance of different denture cleansers.

For the first time in recent memory we sent out the Christmas cards in a timely manner. Technology is great when it works: Took a picture of us sitting on the hearth in front of the fireplace with a fire going, tweaked it with Photoshop (DW left her glasses on the hearth so i took those out) uploaded to the local drugstore having a one-day 25% off sale and picked them up the next day.

Cost per card with envelopes was just under 65 cents. DW took them to the PO and got 'em mailed off.

After hanging off a ladder for an hour and a half stripping wallpaper off walls of a room with 10' ceilings, I called it quits before I fell and broke my neck.

DH will have to finish what I can't reach, or I'll hire someone to finish it, or maybe I'll just burn the house down.

Left w*rk early yesterday and went grocery shopping - saved a mere $111 (ended up spending $220) by researching which store was having sales on things on my list and had cupons for. Stocked up on coffee that was on sale in addition to non-weekly purchases (Q-tips, vitamins, etc.) Not a super-power coupon user, but pay attention somewhat! I was pleased!

Left w*rk early yesterday and went grocery shopping - saved a mere $111 (ended up spending $220) by researching which store was having sales on things on my list and had cupons for. Stocked up on coffee that was on sale in addition to non-weekly purchases (Q-tips, vitamins, etc.) Not a super-power coupon user, but pay attention somewhat! I was pleased!

I know how good that feels! I use a grocery service to point me to the deals with coupons. Saves me a bunch of time and worth the little bit of $ to me. I look forward to grocery shopping every week...just b/c I love getting deals. :)

I was looking for a different way to cook a roast (new enameled cast iron dutch oven). My go to research site is google . . . . Guess I'll just use an old recipe.

Try epicurious.com

Cleaned out the library - donated about 50-60 professional (medical/nursing) textbooks to my local library for their fundraiser. I won't be needing them :cool:. BTW, what would retirement be without a library to visit, huh?

I did keep a few of the better textbooks just in case the Federal Gov't collapses and I need to return to work.

Practice new tennis serve technique - few buckets worth. Really nice clay courts where I live - taking up the game again. Getting ready for a few "big" matches tomorrow and Thursday a.m. - little chilly here in FLA, but still can play.

Groceries from Walmart and a few odds n' ends for the house.

Defragged the computer -

I organized the garage. I moved paint from one cabinet to another one, and gained some floor space to be able to park a car in the garage without doing the sideways shimmy shake ;) to get in and out of the driver's side.
Started reorganizing hand tools into drawers with inside compartments, and will start figuring out which extras (non Craftsman) can be donated.
I ran out of steam (organizing) and joined Mr Boston at the Legion for a rousing set of games of cribbage over cold beers. :D

Did laundry.
Started packing.
Looked up weather for next couple days (here and there).

The plumber was here 5 hours today and 1 hour yesterday.
Damage: ~$1000.

Quit j*b.
Accepted another....which will facilitate FIRE.
No, I'm not elaborating. Send me a PM. :D

No. Old Honda works perfectly. It has "one more year" syndrome!

Who do you use and how much does it cost? What do they provide? Thanks.

I use Coupons, Grocery Coupons - The Grocery Game - A Weekly List of the lowest-priced groceries at your local stores. It's $10 for a 2 month subscription for 1 store. Additional stores are $5 for 8 weeks. They do offer a 4 wk free trial which I did before officially signing up. I signed up with Publix and CVS.

Every week you get a list for the store(s) you sign up for. The list includes all of the deals for that week and the specifics of what coupons to use (from what insert and what week, or from an online source they provide). They have a large database and track the prices so they know when prices are hitting their lowest, so you only use your coupon with the best sale. After about 3 months of doing this, you start to see the sales repeat themselves. So you learn to stock up for about 3 months' worth of supplies and "cherry pick" what you really need, in addition to buying your basic staples every week (I still go to Walmart for certain things that are always cheaper - like milk, bread, eggs, etc.)

I keep a binder and put my coupon inserts in plastic sheets, organized by week. When I look at the list, I pick what I want, then find the coupon by date. So I only clip the coupons I need.

Basically I really like the service. I find myself buying some better brands for the same or cheaper price than the store or even Walmart brand. I'm spending less money overall and my pantry is much fuller. The main thing two things I don't like about the service is (1) sometimes the coupons they list aren't in my inserts - I've learned that not all newspapers have the exact same coupon inserts and (2) once I start my list I have to go through the whole process at once as there doesn't appear to be a way to save your list and come back to it later. That can be a real pain!

Got a head start on my annual asset allocation spreadsheets. Tweaked it a bit as some accounts I closed out. I'll have to re-input my data at years end, but the spreadsheet is all ready for action.

Is this my lucky day or what? I just discovered that I won $1000 in a local hospital lottery. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom