what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two sets of 2 on 1 tennis (I was the single guy - took on a twosome).

18 holes of golf.

Three loads of laundry/vacuumed.

I love Florida weather.

Up all night tending to sick patients :angel:

Got a few hours sleep during the workday :dead:

Made an appearance at the office holiday party :dance:

Now ready to hit the sack! :yawn: ZZZZZZZZ

The last couple of days too cold to do much outdoors. Good news, it's warming up. But with warmer weather, some rain moves in as well. Oh well, looks like I'm catching a good old fashion cold so probably won't be in the mood for golf anyway.

Some good news today. I purchased an AIG bond 2.5 years ago, just a few months before the financial meltdown. Dumb I know, but it was rated A- at the time and I thought what can go wrong on a short term bond like this. Heh heh, well I found out and the value of the bond dropped to 30% of face value at one point. A drop in value = an increase in med's. But a happy ending, received all my dividends and paid off in full today. The proceeds of which is headed to Penfed to put on the 5% cd special they ran a couple of months ago.:)

What great news! :dance: What a relief it must be knowing that your AIG bond bought right before the meltdown, paid off in full. Whew! Now let's hope that Penfed stays solvent.... >:D

What great news! :dance: What a relief it must be knowing that your AIG bond bought right before the meltdown, paid off in full. Whew! Now let's hope that Penfed stays solvent.... >:D

At least we have federal insurance on this one.:D Although the AIG bailout turned out to be close to the same thing.

For some reason I woke up at 3AM. It's now~10AM. I'm seriously considering going back to bed.

I woke up to 5 inches of fresh snow. My plowing guy came by at 10 AM and cleared the driveway. :D
Syracuse airport (Hancock) is reporting 69 inches of snow, year to date. I am surrounded by places that are reporting snowfall in feet. :blink:
I am surfing while Mr Boston watches TV. I have the house to myself tonight while he goes to a Legion meeting. Sounds like a great opportunity to play some opera or The Great Voices of Christmas music CDs. :whistle:

We're picking up our prodigal daughter in about four hours. She thinks she's survived Chemistry 101*, although in three weeks she'll have to return to face Chemistry 102. She has admitted that it'd be OK with her if I paid next semester's room/board bill. NROTC already paid next semester's tuition, so they must not be too unhappy with her!

I get to drive the Prius to the airport this afternoon, and then that'll probably be the last time I get to touch the steering wheel for three weeks. Heck, it might be the last time I see it during daylight.

Spouse found herself actually cleaning up the house for our daughter's return. Oh the irony.

Next I'm making spaghetti sauce for tonight's dinner. It'll be the first time that spouse or I have actually cooked a meal (other than a frozen dinner or a pizza) since our daughter left for college in August.

*[We have a family story that puts more pressure on her chemistry experience. I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry. I met spouse when she was failing freshman chemistry and I was assigned as her tutor. Spouse pulled out a "B" but of course she's been payin' it back now for over 30 years. Clearly our daughter has inherited the wrong set of chemistry genes, but as far as we can tell she's determined to survive the subject without a tutor...]

*[We have a family story that puts more pressure on her chemistry experience. I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry. I met spouse when she was failing freshman chemistry and I was assigned as her tutor. Spouse pulled out a "B" but of course she's been payin' it back now for over 30 years. Clearly our daughter has inherited the wrong set of chemistry genes, but as far as we can tell she's determined to survive the subject without a tutor...]

I actually met my spouse the semester I have Calc and she let it slip she had a degree in math and was working on a PhD in stats. I knew I had stats the following semester. Things always work out :)

Tomcat98

I've been looking for a craigslist bike to buy for Jenny so that we can all ride together when she visits for Christmas.

Today I bought this bike at a garage sale for $65:

img_1013182_0_947f17f718be83efff31bc8768f87491.jpg

When I got home I found that this model sold for $2,196 when new (1996)!

I made one minor repair and fixed a flat, and now it's ready to go.
Looks good. Is it steel?

Today I bought a new phone- a Samsung with a full qwerty keyboard.

Ha

...a family story that puts more pressure on her chemistry experience. I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry. I met spouse when she was failing freshman chemistry and I was assigned as her tutor. Spouse pulled out a "B" but of course she's been payin' it back now for over 30 years. Clearly our daughter has inherited the wrong set of chemistry genes, but as far as we can tell she's determined to survive the subject without a tutor...]

I took the easy way out and majored in Physics. :cool:

IIRC, at low enough levels:

• all chemistry is just applied physics
  • All physics is just applied math
  • all math is just applied philosophy
  • all philosophy is just applied religion

That must be right, because going into that final exam she sure was doing a lot of praying...

Looks good. Is it steel?
Ha

No, it's an aluminum-based alloy. That's important here near the ocean since everything rusts.

At 22 pounds, it's 2.25 pounds lighter than my bike. I might switch to it after Jenny goes back home, but my short test ride showed me that it feels all the little bumps in the pavement. IOW, it has a harsh ride, as you'd expect in a racing bike.

Jenny's already seen pictures, but I think I'll clean it up to showroom quality and put it under the tree with a bow.

Hmmm... And since engineering is the discipline, art, and profession of applying such knowledge to the design and construction of structures, systems, and processes, then ideally I should be able to have a second career in Philosophical Engineering, or going back to basics, Religious Engineering. Professional Theological Engineer (PTE) credentials, perhaps, ordained in The Church of All Worlds. Nah. I'd probably wind up stoned to death by some troglodytes.

Fortunately, after FIRE, I grok that there are infinite possibilities...

My 6 year old Dell desktop has been giving me problems over the past few days. I had to replace both the keyboard and monitor a few months ago and now it looks like my power supply is giving out. Rather than repair, today I ordered a "new" (OK, refurbished) Lenovo desktop (sans monitor). The refurb unit was half the price of a new one.

(Yes, I did consider a laptop but prefer a desktop for everyday use.)

I plan to take the lazy route when it comes to transferring all my info - stick the hard drive from my old computer into the new one as the secondary drive...

My 6 year old Dell desktop has been giving me problems over the past few days. I had to replace both the keyboard and monitor a few months ago and now it looks like my power supply is giving out. Rather than repair, today I ordered a "new" (OK, refurbished) Lenovo desktop (sans monitor). The refurb unit was half the price of a new one.

(Yes, I did consider a laptop but prefer a desktop for everyday use.)

I plan to take the lazy route when it comes to transferring all my info - stick the hard drive from my old computer into the new one as the secondary drive...
Good! I hope you like your new computer as much as I am enjoying my new laptop. :D

ideally I should be able to have a second career in Philosophical Engineering, or going back to basics, Religious Engineering. Professional Theological Engineer (PTE) credentials, perhaps, ordained in The Church of All Worlds. Nah. I'd probably wind up stoned to death by some troglodytes.

I love it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Last edited:
That must be right, because going into that final exam she sure was doing a lot of praying...

Orgo (is that what they call Organic Chemistry?) is what nearly did DD in at your DD's school. She felt a lot of sympathy when she read about Dean Ornish, who went on to graduate from UT:

After he entered Rice University in 1971 as a National Merit Scholar and a biochemistry major, ..., in the fall of his sophomore year, Ornish had a crisis of confidence and suffered a severe bout of depression. In a highly competitive academic atmosphere, he found himself consumed by feelings of worthlessness and despair. "I felt I couldn't keep up," he says. "The more I worried, the harder it was to study, and the harder it was to study, the more I worried. I couldn't sleep, and that made me crazy. Finally, I was sitting in organic chemistry and I thought, 'Of course, I'll just kill myself.' "

Orgo (is that what they call Organic Chemistry?) is what nearly did DD in at your DD's school. She felt a lot of sympathy when she read about Dean Ornish, who went on to graduate from UT:
That's right-- the sophomore choices are orgo, biochem, or a third semester of physics (waves & optics). 30 years ago I didn't care for organic one little bit and was darn glad to get a pair of 79.5% Bs. She's decided she's not going to press her luck there. She knows all about the physics of the Tacoma Narrows bridge so she's not sure she wants another helping of that subject. She's hoping that biochem translates directly into something related to civil engineering. Coral reefs? Soil analysis?

She's been talking a blue streak since she spotted us in baggage claim six hours ago. I'm exhausted but she's a very happy teen. Luckily the surf forecast is 3-5 feet so tomorrow's dawn patrol will be more paddling than talk story.

The grades are starting to roll in... "A"s in Intro to Civ Eng and Naval Science, which she said were pretty slow-pitch softballs. Much to her surprise she pulled out a "B" in Calculus but she's not going to ask any questions. She should have physics & chemistry grades by next week, and if she pulls a pair of "C"s then she should stay above the 2.50 cutoff for NROTC's mandatory study hours. But she's having plenty of fun without doing GPA guesstimation so I'm not going to bring it up.

She did taekwondo tonight for the first time in four months and her forms still looked better than mine...

She's hoping that biochem translates directly into something related to civil engineering. Coral reefs? Soil analysis?

There is a huge demand now for LEED certification, since sustainable and environmentally friendly designs are now on the front burner. I would think that biochem would help out there.

Storm water detention and drainage design must now incorporate means for maintaining water cleanliness. I would think biochem would be a great fit.

Woke up. :LOL:

Watching the Weather Channel to see what a potential storm may be doing as far as impacting our travel plans to MA next week. If a Nor'easter develops, it may turn out we go east for New Years' instead. Santa will understand. :D

My holiday decorating is all done after a brief interruption for the new picture window installation. I went for a very simplistic scheme this year.

Attachments

• downsized_1217000954.jpg
    downsized_1217000954.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1
  • downsized_1217000955.jpg
    downsized_1217000955.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1
  • downsized_1217000956.jpg
    downsized_1217000956.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3
Nice decorations.

Packing today for flight to Cozumel in the morning. Not even January and I've already had my fill of cold, gray, windy and icy. Sunny and 70's here we come!

Happy Holidays everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom