what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, the first full day of winter, we looked out our kitchen window to see our hawthorn tree covered with robins--maybe 20?--who were fighting over the handful of remaining berries. Rarely see migrating robins, and never in December.

Even weirder was about ten minutes later when we looked out again and saw a hawk sitting on the fencepost. By then the robins had moved on, and after a minute or so he took flight. We have never ever seen a hawk in our yard or even in our neighborhood. He must have been stalking the robins?

Both sightings were awesome experiences for DH and me.

Yesterday, the first full day of winter, we looked out our kitchen window to see our hawthorn tree covered with robins--maybe 20?--who were fighting over the handful of remaining berries. Rarely see migrating robins, and never in December.

Even weirder was about ten minutes later when we looked out again and saw a hawk sitting on the fencepost. By then the robins had moved on, and after a minute or so he took flight. We have never ever seen a hawk in our yard or even in our neighborhood. He must have been stalking the robins?

Both sightings were awesome experiences for DH and me.

My neighbor's tree had a flock of robins a few weeks ago too. Plus, I have a hawk that seems to be killing my chickadees. The hawk showed up in my yard three days in a row, killing two birds. The birds I was feeding seem to have disappeared.

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 4
We arrived safe and sound in MA. We had a little bit of snow going through the Berkshire Mts but nothing to scream about. There was all sorts of frozen waterfalls along the way on the sheer rock faces along the highway. Some were blue, some were light brown in tint. Fabulous ! :D

We have a busy day today visiting relatives and have several places to be later on.

Santa arrives right after midnight. :clap:
I better take a nap so I don't miss the clatter of hooves on the rooftop. :LOL:

Merry Christmas everyone! :flowers:

PS I'll log on here and there over the next week, so if you PM me, it may take a day or so until I read it.

The birds I was feeding seem to have disappeared.

Actually, you are feeding the hawk also (and cats probably). That's how nature works.

At least, that's how I think of it when a hawk visits our feeders or see a satisfied looking cat with stray feathers all about. (I am, however, uncomfortable with the way cats play with their food before getting down to business.)

I don't mind the hawk feeding, but the cats bug me. They rarely eat the birds they kill. Outdoor cats are a pet peeve of mine.

Actually, you are feeding the hawk also (and cats probably). That's how nature works.

At least, that's how I think of it when a hawk visits our feeders or see a satisfied looking cat with stray feathers all about. (I am, however, uncomfortable with the way cats play with their food before getting down to business.)

So true...nature can be so cruel to witness tho. I'm just glad I saw the aftermath of the hawk's dinner.

The hawk was a very proud looking bird, sitting on my fence. I have to admit I was pretty excited to see him. Watching out for my dog tho.

There is no such thing as an outdoor cat where I live. Between the rattlesnakes, great horned owls, golden eagles, coyote, bobcats, mountain lions, all 3 of our cats are indoors only.

This morning I cleaned lots and lots of penstemon seeds for the garden and natural area around the house.

What an absolutely mindless j*b, but I was outside in the sun, and was watching the birdies.

Yesterday we were hit with the left overs of the CA storm. Rain most off the AM. I lit a fire and we had brunch in our Chiricahua room.

The Gypsy Carpenters » Chiricahua Room Progress

Today we are back to our normal boring, sunny and warm weather.

Made Cherry Pineapple cheesecake, also cream cheese taco dip. Fed Dog, cat, wild birds, stray cat, (probably a mistake) and chickens. Told rooster if he attacked me again he was Christmas Dinner. Going visiting this evening.

Sliced a 12 pound pork roast into manageable pieces.

DH rewarded my endeavors by making a frozen coffee drink for me. After blending, he decided the drink needed more ice. The ice was added...problem is, he forgot to put the top back on the blender. :LOL:

What a mess......after cleaning up, he had to take a shower. :ROFLMAO:

I saw many patients in 10 days. Many children too, and many of them without shoes, who are malnourished, and abandoned to all sorts of trades.

Take care everyone.

I admire you for doing these missions . Besides your time I know they are expensive to do .

For Christmas Gary bought a stocking and sparkled glue a pet name he has for me on it . Then he filled it with chocolate and great costume jewelry ( My two favorite things ) . You gotta love a guy that would do that for you !

Bougainvillea pruning. It's really nice having a starving college student willing to work for $10/hour. We haven't had her labor available ever since she found out that she can get $11.25/hour from the Kumon center, but they're closed for the holiday break.

Now that she's signed herself up for a PenFed account, she linked her NFCU checking account to it and got ready to transfer money for CDs. PenFed immediately slapped a $50/day (that's only fifty dollars per day) limit on ACH transfers. I guess that's in effect until someone reviews the website activity next week and decides to trust that account for more money per day. Anyway it's a good thing that the PenFed thread (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/funding-those-penfed-5-cds-53839.html#post1016083) mentioned using the NFCU account as a funding source for the CDs instead of doing ACHs, or we would've quashed all motivation of a newbie investor. So now she's set up her CDs/emergency fund and we can cross another item off the "now that you're 18 years old" list.

I thought the 2010 credit-card laws would make it difficult for college students to obtain a card of her own. However American Express mailed her a "blue cash" offer today. Along with PenFed and NFCU I guess she'll be able to tap plenty of credit-card choices.

I spent some quality time today loading up the blog with next week's posts. I also figured out how to tweak Wordpress for a "contact us" form and an HTML-formatted template for new posts. There are many one-time tasks involved in setting up a blog, but the acts of learning about them and then implementing them seem to suck up dozens of hours.

Tonight is our traditional [-]Friday[/-] Christmas eve meal of pizza, beer, and frozen yogurt. Neighbors have been dropping by with celebratory offerings of manapua, chocolate, and cookies. Tomorrow we'll celebrate the holiday with the traditional lawn-mowing and gardenia-trimming events, also for $10/hour...

In case anyone is wondering why I'm reading (and posting at) this site late on Xmas eve after DW has gone to bed, I'm "babysitting" DD's dog until she comes home from meeting her friend's new baby. Stupid puppy wandered where she "isn't allowed". When DD returns she will keep the dd (dumb dog) in her room.

No, it's an aluminum-based alloy. That's important here near the ocean since everything rusts.

At 22 pounds, it's 2.25 pounds lighter than my bike. I might switch to it after Jenny goes back home, but my short test ride showed me that it feels all the little bumps in the pavement. IOW, it has a harsh ride, as you'd expect in a racing bike.

Jenny's already seen pictures, but I think I'll clean it up to showroom quality and put it under the tree with a bow.
That is really nice of you Al. Jenny will be thrilled. Aluminum bikes usually are very stiff.

Tonight I went to a really nice hot pot party. Different from how it sounds. Several pots of hot oil on a table, with plates of raw steak and chicken and tuna cubes, big raw shrimp, and small scallops. Also some green peppers, jalepeños, cauliflower, etc. Everyone has a plate and a long fork, and skewers the food he wants and sticks it in the pot for a little. It is really good, and it makes it easy to circulate around and meet people and do stuff other than drink and sit.

Mostly young couples, and lots of wild Indian kids, which I really enjoyed too. Very nice Christmas Eve.

I'm home again now and getting ready for bed.

Ha

For Christmas Gary bought a stocking and sparkled glue a pet name he has for me on it . Then he filled it with chocolate and great costume jewelry ( My two favorite things ) . You gotta love a guy that would do that for you !

That is SO sweet! He's a keeper! :)

Slept in after a nice gift opening session that lasted until 1 AM. My presents were a denim skirt, a necklace and bracelet made of braided tri-color gold, and a solid gold flat (serpentine?) longer necklace from Mr Boston. The man has excellent taste, oh and BTW he picks out nice jewelry too. :LOL:

Today is Christmas dinner with relatives. No driving, just going next door.

I wish I could express how wonderful it is to spend a drama-free holiday. So refreshing! Let's just say I could light up NYC with my smiles. :D

A possible Nor'easter could be coming up the coast. Check your Weather Channel forecasts carefully. This could be a real doozy for the Eastern seaboard.

I stand ready with snow boots, warm gloves, and snowman building skills that need to be resurfaced. :cool:

It's official...my 2nd Nor'easter experience is a'coming.
The first one was the blizzard of '67. At the age of nine, I saw more snow just north of NYC than I ever thought existed. :blink:

So here we go again...do not travel unless absolutely necessary. :nonono:

Had a nice Christmas dinner tonight...then the excitement started.

My dog ate a good portion of a 6 oz chocolate orange. We induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, then took her to the emergency vet. Just got home from vet and things appear to be under control now, after her charcoal treatment and two perscription drugs for her to take. We weren't the only ones at the emergency vets. The couple that was leaving, as we went in, also had a dog that ate chocolate.:(

...do not travel unless absolutely necessary. :nonono:
Yeah, right...

Just returned from dropping off DW at the bus station. She's going into the city (e.g. NY) for the day to see a show with Donnie/Marie, and nothing is going to keep her from seeing it.

Earlier this year, she was with her friend in Vegas and had tickets to the same show. However, when she went, it was cancelled for the night (no reason given).

This time a simple blizzard is not going to stand in her way. She took an extra change of clothes and her credit cards to sneak into a hotel if they cancel the return bus, which is probable. Even though we're west of the city (about 75 miles) and expect less snow, I'm sure it will be slow going.

Oh well - I say nothing :whistle: ...

My dog ate a good portion of a 6 oz chocolate orange. We induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, then took her to the emergency vet. Just got home from vet and things appear to be under control now, after her charcoal treatment and two perscription drugs for her to take. We weren't the only ones at the emergency vets. The couple that was leaving, as we went in, also had a dog that ate chocolate.:(
I hope your pup is okay. The chocolate oranges are a holiday tradition here, along with a collection of other chocolate goodies. When we got up yesterday morning I made sure to remind everyone to keep their chocolate out of Yorkie range. I had visions of her running off with a chocolate orange and devouring it before we discovered the theft. It's amazing what a little 4 pound creature can grab and run with - a full-length bratwurst (smeared with mustard) hit the floor once and before anyone could react she grabbed it and had made it disappear before anyone could grab her.

I hope your pup is okay. The chocolate oranges are a holiday tradition here, along with a collection of other chocolate goodies. When we got up yesterday morning I made sure to remind everyone to keep their chocolate out of Yorkie range. I had visions of her running off with a chocolate orange and devouring it before we discovered the theft. It's amazing what a little 4 pound creature can grab and run with - a full-length bratwurst (smeared with mustard) hit the floor once and before anyone could react she grabbed it and had made it disappear before anyone could grab her.

My pup seems fine this morning. She's a Silkie so she weighs in at 11 pounds but that's still small for a doggie chocoholic. Maddie is a thief too. She will break and enter anyone purse that is unguarded - that's how she got her chocolate fix last night.

The fat content in the chocolate orange was 16% so the vet was also concerned with the possibility of developing pancreatitis - so watch out for those falling bratwursts.

Mr Boston and I went to the grocery store to pick up necessary blizzard survival items...

Matches
Long burning safety candle
2 medium size sterno cans
Yogurt
Cookies
Lemon filled donuts
Frozen precooked meatballs and spaghetti
Frozen supersize pretzels
Cabernet sauvignon 1.75 L size :D
Milk
Beef and carrots for Yankee pot roast (already have the taters)

The red wine is for necessary liquid nutrients and good cheer. :whistle:

UPDATE: Mr Boston's cousin informs me that she has a reserve of Kahlua on hand. :)

If you are chuckling at our food and beverage choices, we may lose power here due to high winds and/or heavy wet snow. The pot roast is being cooked today. The high carb food is in case we are unable to cook on the electric stove where we are staying. The sternos are for keeping hands warm or heating water for zero-power coffee (use a clean funnel, 1 coffee filter, ground coffee, a tall insulated beverage container to catch the coffee).

Both of us were too full from enormous holiday [-]dinner[/-] pigout to feel hungry for breakfast - had a piece of toast. I am now starting to feel like lunch would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom