Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #5241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
Posts: 1,769
W2R---I have been thinking about calling the Salvation Army and scheduling a pick up. I have 2 heavy older TVs (working order) that I want to replace with a big plasma model mounted on the wall of the den so I can watch it from the kitchen (I know, I know but it is two out, and only one in). I also seem to have gone chair crazy the last few years. I have been picking up one of a kind antique wooden chairs cheap but it has gotten ridiculous so out most of them will go. The same thing with a lot of pottery and crockery that is never used...out to a new good home. Must call tomorrow!
__________________

__________________
WhoDaresWins is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #5242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
W2R---I have been thinking about calling the Salvation Army and scheduling a pick up. I have 2 heavy older TVs (working order) ...
Better check with them first about taking your old CRT TVs. Many charities won't accept them...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #5243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,439
So, one can only give away LCD TVs now? Do they have to be of the 1080p type too?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #5244
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, one can only give away LCD TVs now?
Nah - they'll take DLP and plasma sets too...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #5245
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,439
Great to know that, so that in the future when I buy something for myself, I will just buy two in order to have one extra to donate.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #5246
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
W2R---I have been thinking about calling the Salvation Army and scheduling a pick up. I have 2 heavy older TVs (working order) that I want to replace with a big plasma model mounted on the wall of the den so I can watch it from the kitchen (I know, I know but it is two out, and only one in). I also seem to have gone chair crazy the last few years. I have been picking up one of a kind antique wooden chairs cheap but it has gotten ridiculous so out most of them will go. The same thing with a lot of pottery and crockery that is never used...out to a new good home. Must call tomorrow!
REW is right, although I did see a lot of old CRT TV's at the Salvation Army store. I would imagine that they get more than they need, though. I bought my plasma TV a couple of years ago from a store that delivers and also removes your old CRT TV for you (it was worth it, since i had one of those 200# 33-inch Sonys). I still have a non-functional 18" CRT TV in the bedroom, and Frank has two huge CRT TV's, so we will find out where to dispose of them and take care of that pretty soon.

It still sounds like you are ready to donate a lot of stuff, though!

Tomorrow they will take my 8' lazyboy sofa, coffee table, end table, china cabinet, dining table with leaf, and six dining chairs. I still have my easy chair and other tables, including the kitchenette table, and these will go in a second S.A. pick-up later on.

Then I'll have the dining room re-carpeted, and then after the last S.A. pick-up I can move the rest of my stuff in the dining room and re-carpet the rest of the house. Or at least, that is the plan.

The plan also had the landscaping team showing up today, which they didn't, and the electrician returning a message asking for an estimate (he didn't). The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley, and all that.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #5247
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Tomorrow they will take my 8' lazyboy sofa, coffee table, end table, china cabinet, dining table with leaf, and six dining chairs. I still have my easy chair and other tables, including the kitchenette table, and these will go in a second S.A. pick-up later on.

Then I'll have the dining room re-carpeted, and then after the last S.A. pick-up I can move the rest of my stuff in the dining room and re-carpet the rest of the house. Or at least, that is the plan.
It looks like you plan to show your house empty, as you already said you will be buying new furniture at your new place. So, how are you going to live? In an RV?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #5248
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It looks like you plan to show your house empty, as you already said you will be buying new furniture at your new place. So, how are you going to live? In an RV?
We'll rent a furnished apartment, most likely, until we are ready to move into a house or houses. Well, depending on how much furniture we end up moving ourselves via rental truck. Hopefully it will not be much because we are not getting any younger. We can re-assess at some point.

No RV, though. We talked about that again today and we are both of the opinion that we would be better off without buying an RV, at least right now.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #5249
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,439
Hmm... Seems to me that instead of selling an empty house, it would be easier to cull the furniture, keep the better pieces and advertise free furniture to the new owner. Wouldn't that work?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #5250
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Too late, NW-Bound - - the problem has been mulled over for years, the decisions have been made, the Gantt chart has been created and we are on a roll. After all the years of thought we have put into this, and the discussions on the board (and between ourselves) about it already, we have reached the point at which we have to draw the line.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #5251
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
Posts: 1,769
W2R and REWahoo---Thanks for the heads up on my CRT TVs. I will most definitely inquire with the SA on whether they would want the behemoths. I was planning to write a check by way of donation, too. I know the national store you are referring to that will remove a TV if you purchase and get delivery from them. My dilemma is the husband of a friend is a TV salesman, and I feel obliged to buy from him. If the SA won't take them, I will pay a disposal service and just deliver the rest of the stuff to the thrift store in person.
__________________
WhoDaresWins is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #5252
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
W2R and REWahoo---Thanks for the heads up on my CRT TVs. I will most definitely inquire with the SA on whether they would want the behemoths. I was planning to write a check by way of donation, too. I know the national store you are referring to that will remove a TV if you purchase and get delivery from them. My dilemma is the husband of a friend is a TV salesman, and I feel obliged to buy from him. If the SA won't take them, I will pay a disposal service and just deliver the rest of the stuff to the thrift store in person.
I think our Parish (=County) is able to handle CRT's at a special facility at the dump. We'll ask about it, and if they will accept CRT's then we plan to take our TVs there ourselves and dispose of them. If not, then "back to the drawing board" as they say!

Maybe your friend's husband would have an idea of how to get rid of your CRT TV's. They might even take care of it for you "on the QT", if you bought a TV there.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #5253
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We'll rent a furnished apartment, most likely, until we are ready to move into a house or houses. Well, depending on how much furniture we end up moving ourselves via rental truck. Hopefully it will not be much because we are not getting any younger. We can re-assess at some point.

No RV, though. We talked about that again today and we are both of the opinion that we would be better off without buying an RV, at least right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Too late, NW-Bound - - the problem has been mulled over for years, the decisions have been made, the Gantt chart has been created and we are on a roll. After all the years of thought we have put into this, and the discussions on the board (and between ourselves) about it already, we have reached the point at which we have to draw the line.
Just teasing about the RV.

So, you do keep some furniture to move with you. I thought you will get rid of everything, hence wonder why some pieces cannot be left as gift to the new owner, and for you to use while the house is on the market.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #5254
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Better check with them first about taking your old CRT TVs. Many charities won't accept them...
Last time we tried to donate a working CRT TV the charity wanted $20 from us to accept it!
__________________
DoingHomework is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #5255
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought you will get rid of everything, hence wonder why some pieces cannot be left as gift to the new owner, and for you to use while the house is on the market.
Just wait and see!! All is in progress and soon will be revealed. You will find out as it happens.

I know, it is KILLING you that you aren't in charge of our move. Sorry 'bout that! (not really!)
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #5256
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I know, it is KILLING you that you aren't in charge of our move.
Just curious, that's all. And trying to make a conversation. I guess I am not doing that well.

Particularly after the posts about SA only wanting flat screen TVs for donation now, I thought that, gee, perhaps nobody nowadays wants anything used anymore. When we bought our 1st house many years ago after we just got married, did not even have a sofa to sit on, and had no money to buy one. The house we bought was new, but if it were pre-owned and the seller wanted to give us some furniture, heck, we would love it.

So, I wonder if people nowadays would be offended if offered some used furniture, despite how bad the economy is as we heard on the media.

PS. I just gave away my son's junk car to his friend. He was a college student, and grateful to have a ride.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #5257
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, I wonder if people nowadays would be offended if offered some used furniture, despite how bad the economy is as we heard on the media.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the people and the used furniture and other considerations

Every seller makes their own best decision based on everything they can possibly know

Speaking of which, did YOU know that this is a thread about "What did you do today"? I posted one post on that about 20 posts ago and it seems to have sprouted legs.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #5258
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, I wonder if people nowadays would be offended if offered some used furniture, despite how bad the economy is as we heard on the media.
Can't imagine why anyone would be offended. I'll take anything I can get for free. If I can't use it i'll sell it or re-gift it. I only purchased 1 piece of living room furniture in my life. It was a $100 futon and I still own it 12 years later(on it's 2nd mattress which was givin to me free). The only other furniture I have is a 20-30 year old chair that my grandma gave me and a lawn chair that my parents gave me. I doubt i'll ever buy a new piece of furniture.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #5259
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingHomework View Post
Last time we tried to donate a working CRT TV the charity wanted $20 from us to accept it!
Now, they may say "Just give us the $20, and you keep the TV".

I have 5 TVs in this house, only two are flat-screen HDTV. When I want to get rid of the old TVs, at least where I live, the city will collect them twice a year if we leave them by the curb. No extra fees yet.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #5260
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
What I have done so far today: The Salvation Army truck has already come and gone, and they took the furniture I specified in the quote below. It's wonderful to be rid of it, and my house seems so much more spacious. Now, I can choose a carpet and schedule some carpetlayers to start with the recarpeting project! I wonder if the landscaping people will show up today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Tomorrow they will take my 8' lazyboy sofa, coffee table, end table, china cabinet, dining table with leaf, and six dining chairs.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did 2008-09 Results Help You Now? Idnar7 FIRE and Money 42 10-27-2015 10:10 AM
California Munis Closed End Funds tanked today, why? Disappointed FIRE and Money 10 01-20-2008 07:15 PM
Did you retire or Did you quit GTM Life after FIRE 19 03-09-2006 02:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.