what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hosted the Roto-Roooter man for 4 1/2 hours. What a crappy day. Although we're back up and flushing for the moment, I will need a new sewer line in the very near future.

I recall a few years ago when I had to call Roto-Rooter on a Sunday afternoon. Nice man showed up and gave me an estimate---like I'm going to negotiate?

Pretty day today. Teed off at 11:00 with the temp at 53 and by time we got through, it was 60 degrees. No complaints for a winter day. But, rain tomorrow. I sure hope this will be a mild winter. ;)

Since I left work on the 17th, this has been my first day home alone. Everyone finally returned to their jobs. We are having some beautiful mild weather in the SF Bay Area so I visited a regional park I had never been to and hiked for a couple of hours. A little muddy but passable. This is the time of year the CA hills are green from the rain.

Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve | East Bay Regional Park District

Attachments

• Sibley-1.jpg
    Sibley-1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 5
Since I left work on the 17th, this has been my first day home alone. Everyone finally returned to their jobs. We are having some beautiful mild weather in the SF Bay Area so I visited a regional park I had never been to and hiked for a couple of hours. A little muddy but passable. This is the time of year the CA hills are green from the rain.

Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve | East Bay Regional Park District

Looks great Marty. I like to stand on top of Vollmer Peak in the nearby Tilden Regional Park and look out over the bay area. I haven't been to Sibley - will have to try it.

Forgot what day it was - again - and missed garbage pickup - again...
Mmm, hmmm... I went to the grocery store this afternoon and thought, 'Wow, not too many people here. I'll have to shop on Mondays from now on'.

:blink:

Forgot what day it was - again - and missed garbage pickup - again...
A HA! I beat you to it! I dragged my garbage and recyclables to the curb today. Garbage day is tomorrow. :cool:
It's supposed to snow like h*ll tomorrow and I didn't feel like dealing with it in the AM.

I also took my little winter rat car (92 Accord) to the car wash and got the wipers replaced at the auto parts store. Free installation. :LOL: I replenished my Kleenex supply, bought 2 pair of $7 summer weight leggings, and treated myself to a pint of shrimp fried rice. All this while Mr Boston went to the VA for a medical checkup. I think I got the better deal today. :D

Tried to take out the motorcycle and the battery was dead. I guess that's what happens when it sits idle for a month+. Tried jump starting it. Didn't work. Plus I found that pushing a 500 lb bike as fast as you can is pretty exhausting. As a last resort I looked at the manual and found out how to remove the battery. Bought a trickle charger and hooked it up. I'll see what happens tomorrow . . .

Today's the day to get the X-Mas tree ready for the wood chipper. Plan is to have it on the curb ready for pickup tomorrow; if I hurry, it'll be there for the five o'clock dog walkers. :whistle:

Mmm, hmmm... I went to the grocery store this afternoon and thought, 'Wow, not too many people here. I'll have to shop on Mondays from now on'.

:blink:

Oh good, it's not just me. I try to remember what the newspaper was like - Wednesday has the grocery ads, Thursday the weekend preview section.... - like that. My SO is not so thrilled at my constantly saying "it's Thursday, isn't it?" Or whatever.

I'm still on totally lazy mode. Hey it's been 6 months and a lot of craziness happened so it's just now that I'm relaxing. AND I DESERVE IT. The clutter will go away eventually.

So today I said: I'm going to go through that damn closet. What have I actually done? Helped SO draft a letter to a bank that's being a total pain. Two loads of laundry. Defrosted a steak for dinner (put frozen steak on counter, put in fridge when thawed...). A lot of email. Talked to my broker for an hour. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So today I said: I'm going to go through that damn closet. What have I actually done? Helped SO draft a letter to a bank that's being a total pain. Two loads of laundry. Defrosted a steak for dinner (put frozen steak on counter, put in fridge when thawed...). A lot of email. Talked to my broker for an hour. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Before I was retired I envisioned myself tackling all the closets and just getting this house into shape . Three years later and it still a work in progress .

Before I was retired I envisioned myself tackling all the closets and just getting this house into shape . Three years later and it still a work in progress .
Keep on going, Moe. Do a little bit at a time to keep it from feeling like a chore.

Almost 4 years later and I am down to the last 1.5 rooms. One of the rooms is a very small bedroom which served as the "junk room" for things I couldn't immediately decide on. Everything is neatly sorted into small postal boxes.
This little room, when emptied, will exclusively be my indoor plant and mushroom growing room.
The one half remaining of the second room is still a w*rk in progress. It is being converted to strictly an office/computer/sewing room for Mr Boston and I. He plans to do income taxes as a side business for close friends and family. I get mine done for free. :LOL:

All closets have been sorted through. I will be going through 1 of them again, very soon. I already have a place to send the donated items. :greetings10:

9AM conference call.
A couple hours of research for..
The 11:30 conference call. That went so well that when I finished speaking for close to an hour the fools on the other end could not decide what to do next because they were still thinking about the material.
Lunch.
Two afternoon firedrills of no real importance, but they had to be done NOW.

Cannot wait to get home to the family and hound dogs.

Keep on going, Moe. Do a little bit at a time to keep it from feeling like a chore.

Almost 4 years later and I am down to the last 1.5 rooms. One of the rooms is a very small bedroom which served as the "junk room" for things I couldn't immediately decide on. Everything is neatly sorted into small postal boxes.
This little room, when emptied, will exclusively be my indoor plant and mushroom growing room.
The one half remaining of the second room is still a w*rk in progress. It is being converted to strictly an office/computer/sewing room for Mr Boston and I. He plans to do income taxes as a side business for close friends and family. I get mine done for free. :LOL:

All closets have been sorted through. I will be going through 1 of them again, very soon. I already have a place to send the donated items. :greetings10:

This is encouraging! If it took you 4 years... why am I sweating 6 months? :whistle:

The worst is that I have no place to put stuff that needs putting away - because that room also needs going through, and on, and on... The domino effect. I figured if I got the closet sorted out I might have some more storage. The "art room" where I plan to go back to being an artist, has become the junk room, full of all the stuff you tuck away for the moment... and it becomes years.

Anyhow I'm not actually a hoarder, just haven't had the time or energy to do this, in about 5 years. It got ugly. I just threw out a foot deep pile of magazines and catalogs. One small step for womankind... :D

. :greetings10:

I have been . My chore for this month & probably next is to go through all the closets and toss . I have two huge boxes of Christmas decor to go to goodwill .

I´ll try to reach the 1.000 post mark. I´m sorry for all of you-I´m really determined to make it:D!!

I´ll try to reach the 1.000 post mark. I´m sorry for all of you-I´m really determined to make it:D!!
We look forward to much more Galician wit and wisdom.

Yesterday helped DW achieve one of her New Year's resolutions:

Get the old desk and an inherited curio cabinet out of the basement and off to Goodwill. (Sure is nice to have a pickup truck sometimes.)

We also went through a bunch of old paperwork, photos, and decided where to focus attention on throwing out more old computer cables, software, (anyone want a copy of Quicken '99?) diskettes, and that sort of thing. We also found a bunch of certificates I had from work for teaching computer forensics. I'm torn about throwing them away, it was all bleeding edge at the time and a huge part of life for a decade, but all of that stuff is long since obsolete and no one else would care about it.

Took my black currents out of the freezer yesterday and turned them into black current jam. Black current jam on toast with oatmeal this morning for breakfast. mmmmm I now have a stew simmering. Time to do a few things outside.

Blew about 3" of global warming off the driveway. Played with my toy helicopter, be off ice skating in while.

Played golf yesterday and plan to play again today. My 4th round this week. Not bad for winter time. BUT, snow and ice forecast for Sunday and most of next week the high.....35. Frig. :nonono:

Off to the gym this morning. I am still a little sore from Wednesday's workout, but I think some stretching and then starting with a little leisurely time on the rowing machines will help me to work all of that out.

Dawg, you are doing great to get in so many rounds of golf this time of year.

Down here it will be a lot warmer than where you are, but we still have 90% chance of thunderstorms predicted for Sunday, and below freezing temperatures predicted again Tuesday night. The variegated shell ginger plant in my yard gets brown leaves in cold weather, so I'll probably cover it that night.

This is encouraging! If it took you 4 years... why am I sweating 6 months? :whistle:

The worst is that I have no place to put stuff that needs putting away - because that room also needs going through, and on, and on... The domino effect. I figured if I got the closet sorted out I might have some more storage. The "art room" where I plan to go back to being an artist, has become the junk room, full of all the stuff you tuck away for the moment... and it becomes years.

Anyhow I'm not actually a hoarder, just haven't had the time or energy to do this, in about 5 years. It got ugly. I just threw out a foot deep pile of magazines and catalogs. One small step for womankind... :D

This site may give you some ideas.
Organizers

I can w*rk away at this organizing thing WHEN I am in the mood to do so. I was caught in a cycle of organizing and moving stuff from side to side within a room. Then I decided I could lessen the frustration level by designating 1 room for putting the first round of sorted-through things in. Instead of just randomly piling unsorted things "somewhere else", I winnowed things down to the bare minimum in the larger room and moved things to keep to the smaller room. I donated or gave away all unwanted items.
I used small and medium postal boxes* to hold similar things (extra office supplies, clothes that need mending, sewing supplies, etc).
Now I can go into the smaller room, pick up one box at a time, and go through it for the LAST time.
My plan is to eventually purchase an open bookcase and lots of low profile rectangular clear plastic bins or a shelf/pull out bin type organizer unit and be done with it all.
My process may seem redundant but it w*rks for me. :D I want to empty the larger room as much as possible so I can paint it.

* I ordered a lot of Ruby Red glassware on eBay and kept the boxes.

Hosted the Roto-Roooter man for 4 1/2 hours. What a crappy day. Although we're back up and flushing for the moment, I will need a new sewer line in the very near future.
Count your blessings. I bet he has a lot more crappy days than you do.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom