what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on vacation. Slept late, got up and puttered, read email, checked the Forum. Went for a walk in the snow. Then out to lunch with friends (yum) followed by some fun shopping, including bath bombs from Lush Home - LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics. Planning an early night after a fizzy bath in the jacuzzi......that's the life!

Last edited:
We got up early and drove to Syracuse for a very important appointment for Mr B. He qualifies for and has been formally accepted into the VA VR&E program. :clap:
He has a Bachelors' degree, awarded 21 years ago. He was hoping to get funding for a Masters' degree, but it probably won't happen. It seems to be a fundamental limitation of the program. :(
He wants to take some more college credits, perhaps go after an Associate's degree or another Bachelor degree, to update his skills.

I give him a lot of credit to want to go back to school at the tender age of 59. :cool:

I had so much formal schooling since the age of 6 that the LAST thing I would want to do is crack the books again. :nonono:

We got up early and drove to Syracuse for a very important appointment for Mr B. He qualifies for and has been formally accepted into the VA VR&E program. :clap:
:nonono:

Nice of you to go with him! Yes, that is a VERY important appointment! The VA does not look kindly on missed appointments! Congrats to him! What does he want to do when he grows up?

Nice of you to go with him! Yes, that is a VERY important appointment! The VA does not look kindly on missed appointments! Congrats to him! What does he want to do when he grows up?
Neither of us had ever been to this particular office location, so we thought it would be best to go as pilot (me) and navigator (him). I am very directionally challenged. I can follow written or spoken directions better than looking at a map. :duh:
He has been a senior accountant in govt for 20+ years, and either wants to refresh in that area for PT consulting in the private sector, or....teach at the college level (needs a Masters).
Or...who knows.
The VR&E counselor told him he was not used to having veterans' with his education and experience walking in the door, so he would have to do a customized case for Mr B.
Good stuff! :D

I'm on vacation. Slept late, got up and puttered, read email, checked the Forum. Went for a walk in the snow. Then out to lunch with friends (yum) followed by some fun shopping, including bath bombs from Lush Home - LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics. Planning an early night after a fizzy bath in the jacuzzi......that's the life!
Be careful...this kinda stuff could become addicting. :cool:

Enjoy your hard earned time off. :flowers:

Is99 says he/she" Piddled on the forum."

Round my house that means the dogs peed on the floor.

Early AM Dr. appointment (routine stuff) then hit the ATM for cash, fueled DW's car for her hair appointment later.

Checked the tire pressures on the motorcycle. It's 31 degrees F outside. Sigh.

I just finished 3 hours of battle with: Soap Scum -- in our fiberglass shower.

I tried many solutions from the Intergoogle, but there were only two things that worked well: razor blade (9/10) and Shout Laundry Stain Remover (7/10). Everything else failed miserably:

Vinegar 3/10
Vinegar and baking soda 2/10
Totally Awesome 2/10
WD-40 2/10
Ammonia 2/10

I didn't try dryer sheets (not a joke).

Hopefully I didn't add scratches that will make it worse. Scraping with the razor at a low angle removes it from flat areas just like shoveling snow. You can also using it like a paintbrush for some curved areas.

6a00d83451c9bc69e2013486448f2b970c-800wi

Now to prevention: I'll coat the whole thing with RainX. I've read that synthetic soaps (all liquid soaps) don't cause buildup, but we stocked up on Lever 2000 when it was on sale at Costco, and have a multi-year supply.

I tried many solutions from the Intergoogle, but there were only two things that worked well: razor blade (9/10) and Shout Laundry Stain Remover (7/10). Everything else failed miserably:

Vinegar 3/10
Totally Awesome 2/10
WD-40 2/10
Ammonia 2/10

Hopefully I didn't add scratches that will make it worse. Scraping with the razor at a low angle removes it from flat areas just like shoveling snow. You can also using it like a paintbrush for some curved areas.

Now to prevention: I'll coat the whole thing with RainX. I've read that synthetic soaps (all liquid soaps) don't cause buildup, but we stocked up on Lever 2000 when it was on sale at Costco, and have a multi-year supply.

Do you use the stain remover full strength or is it diluted ? I need to attack mine .

Vinegar 3/10
Totally Awesome 2/10
WD-40 2/10
Ammonia 2/10

I use a scotchbrite no-scratch pad with a bathroom cleaner product (I think it's clorox brand). That usually does the trick quite well. If not, I add in some Softscrub for really tough spots.

Same here, I use one of the scouring pad thingies along with Soft Scrub and that takes it off pretty quickly.

Our shower enclosure is glass. The razor blade is the only method I even bother with. Fiberglass? I don't know if I'd go that way.

We had some wonderful news today...Mr B passed his cardiac stress test and ultrasound with flying colors. No blockages, no valve issues, all is well. What a relief! :clap::clap::clap:
Medical family history is a huge factor against him. So I guess I get to keep him around for a while. :D

Sitting here watching "How It's Made" about toothbrushes. Pretty neat stuff. :LOL:

I'm glad 'yo' man is doin' well freebird. :flowers:

Went out to lunch with a married couple today (she used to be one of DH's employees). They can be annoying at times but are pretty decent folks. DH and I got there first, selected a booth and had our drinks ordered. Lo and behold when they came in, the first thing they asked was if we all could sit at a table. We obliged.

One of these days I'm gonna get cranky and say, 'no'.

...oh and btw, where's my 8th green square on my profile page? :rant:

See..I'm already gettin' cranky. :LOL:

We have a fiberglass whirlpool tub with a shower diverter and a shower curtain.

We use a whole-house water conditioner, Zest soap, and a squeegie wipedown after each shower. I throw the shower curtain in the wash a couple times a year and also spray down the tub/enclosure with Tilex... but it's really only a 15-minute job. I'll have to try the Rain-X next time.

No matter how big a glassed-in shower enclosure may be, it still feels too much like a submarine shower to me. The best shower-only bathroom I've ever seen was a 12'x8' travertine-tiled room designed for [-]orgies[/-] a wheelchair.

The best shower-only bathroom I've ever seen was a 12'x8' travertine-tiled room designed for [-]orgies[/-] a wheelchair.

The shower of my dreams! Someday I'd love to have a big shower like that, with multiple streams of water, lots of light, a seat, perhaps piped in music, and all the bells and whistles. I'd never leave. :LOL: At the very least I'd need a bigger hot water heater!

Today I gave blood: unit #172.

Wore a bra for the first time since 12 Dec.

Watched a LOT of snow fall today.

I was going to take down the little christmas tree, but we decided the lights are so cheerful on the ever present glooomy cloudy days, it will remain right where it is. :D

The Jets and Patriots Tshirts I ordered as a surprise arrived today. Big game to watch tomorrow afternoon. Pats are heavily favored. We shall see...:whistle:

Today I had my first piano lesson in 22 years. All last week I regretted setting it up, since I value having nothing scheduled, I was worried that it would interfere with the jazz things I'm working on, and, I guess, 'cause I'm a little shy.

But the lesson was great, and I think I will be able to learn a lot from the teacher. Although she's not a jazz teacher, she feels that she can improve my technique and therefore my facility on the keys, and also help my abysmal sight-reading.

The lessons will be $60 per 1 hour lesson, which includes her driving to my house. They'll either be once a month or every other week. She's been teaching for 35 years and knows her stuff.

What a good way to spend some money, huh?

Went with son-in-law to Pep Boys for some new wiper blades for his 2003 Corolla. Went to the movies with the wifey to see Green Hornet.

After the movies, stepped across the street to Fuddruckers for a burger, hit the grocery store on the way home for some Rocky Road ice cream...then on to the house to relax from a grueling day.

Tonight, I'm putting a for sale ad on Craigslist for a guitar I want to sell. If/when it sells, the money will go into my Roth IRA.

Today I had my first piano lesson in 22 years. All last week I regretted setting it up, since I value having nothing scheduled, I was worried that it would interfere with the jazz things I'm working on, and, I guess, 'cause I'm a little shy.

But the lesson was great, and I think I will be able to learn a lot from the teacher. Although she's not a jazz teacher, she feels that she can improve my technique and therefore my facility on the keys, and also help my abysmal sight-reading.

The lessons will be $60 per 1 hour lesson, which includes her driving to my house. They'll either be once a month or every other week. She's been teaching for 35 years and knows her stuff.

What a good way to spend some money, huh?

Al, I can't think of a better way for you to spend your money! You are such a good musician already, and I know the lessons won't be wasted on you. You'll enjoy learning even more from her, too. :D

Took a first aid and CPR class required for leading Sierra Club hikes.

Summary: Call 911. If they aren't breathing, pump their chest. Anticipate their probable death. :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom