what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to get over the jetlag from our rush trip to Australia. My mother died two weeks ago less than a month after her diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. She was only 69 so for all those who say only 1 more year, remember you are living your future now.
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother.

I hope with time and fond memories your heart will heal.

Trying to get over the jetlag from our rush trip to Australia. My mother died two weeks ago less than a month after her diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. She was only 69 so for all those who say only 1 more year, remember you are living your future now.
How did I miss that post?
I am so sorry for your loss. No BandAids to offer, but try to think of some good times with her :flowers: to offset the sorrow. She is still in your heart.
I completely understand what you mean by "you are living your future now". I do exactly that. :)

So sorry to hear about your mother !

Retail scavenger hunt: 5W-30 motor oil, a can of R-134 refrigerant, assorted heat-shrink tubing (happily the Radio Shack 20-something clerk actually recognized the vocabulary), and a Proteck FCS 4.5x4.312 black starboard thruster for my daughter's surf board. And a carful of library books.

Pretty soon it'll be time for a nap, and then taekwondo after dinner. 17 days until the black-belt test.

I'm going to have to go "all the way" to Haleiwa XCel to try on a 3mm neoprene short-sleeve rash guard. Maybe I'll wait until they go on sale after the winter surf is finished...

Today I went for my first bike ride with my new GPS unit. I got it used for $100 (Garmin Edge 205). It's very neat, you just put it on your bike -- no need for extra wires or sensors, and go. It shows speed, distance, and many other stats. But the best is that at the end of the ride you can very easily upload the data, and it shows maps, elevation, speed profiles, etc.

You can even see where I took a little spin around a parking lot. This technology is mind-blowing.

Attachments

• ShakeDownCruiseAerial.jpg
    ShakeDownCruiseAerial.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 13
  • ElevationShakedownCruise.jpg
    ElevationShakedownCruise.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ShakeDownParkingLot.jpg
    ShakeDownParkingLot.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 5
Today I went for my first bike ride with my new GPS unit. I got it used for $100 (Garmin Edge 205). It's very neat, you just put it on your bike -- no need for extra wires or sensors, and go. It shows speed, distance, and many other stats. But the best is that at the end of the ride you can very easily upload the data, and it shows maps, elevation, speed profiles, etc.

You can even see where I took a little spin around a parking lot. This technology is mind-blowing.

Do you use MapSource? I find it to be quite interesting -- it uses the data captured by our Nüvis... or developing routing etc. for import into the GPS unit.

No, I used Garmin Connect. It worked flawlessly. I could share the page for a trip, but that would give away my home address.

So sorry to hear about your mother, DangerMouse. Rest and try to get over the jet lag. We are indeed living our future.

Wow, that's neat, I can't wait to try it. The rarer the better for me, so this solves the safety issue.

Here's another trick:

The Finger Test to Check the Doneness of Meat | Simply Recipes

There is not safety issue with the inside of non injected whole muscle.
All the pathogens are on the outside of the meat.
Get the outside temperature to 160 degrees F and there are no safety issues unless recontaminated by raw juices in an unwashed plate or otherwise.

I went downtown to shop for a pair of dress pants and a new sweater. Found both, really nice and inexpensive at a Macy's sale.

Then I called my DIL and she and son met me after work for a great happy hour at a new place- I had some pickled herring and 20 nice oysters and two glasses of Washington Brut sparkling wine. Superb! I thoroughly enjoy spending time with my son and DIL, they are both nice and very interesting. She told me a good Norwegian Widow story. She now works downtown in commercial lending, but before she worked at a branch in a Scandinavian neighborhood- at least the old people are Scandinavian. Her bank functioned as a kind of one stop neighborhood service center. This old lady was relying on dividends from some stock holdings in Norway, and they stopped coming. She had some letters from the bank, but they were in Norwegian and she couldn't understand them. She brought them to DIL, and DIL translated them and helped her resolve the snafu. DIL said that she missed this part of her work, and these old fashioned people now that she was working in a purely commercial environment. Son pooh-poohed this sentiment, but I see it as beautiful.

Oysters are cheaper at a good happy hour than they are if I buy them and bring them home to schuck, at least since my outlet for cheap, good oysters closed for a earthquake retrofit to the building.

Ha

Sounds like a lovely day, Ha.

Yeah, it's hard to beat some good oysters on the half shell!

We took a tour today . We started at Sarasota city park . Great view of the bay and a quaint tiki hut called O'leary"s . We then went to a Beachfront restaurant on Anna Marie Island . It was a perfect day today . High 70 's slightly cloudy . The kind of day that makes you happy to be living in Florida .

Drove down around the Salton Sea - I love those things of man that are crumbling back into nature! A couple pictures:

Attachments

• Salton Sea 012.jpg
    Salton Sea 012.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Salton Sea 010.jpg
    Salton Sea 010.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Salton Sea 003.jpg
    Salton Sea 003.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Salton Sea 007.jpg
    Salton Sea 007.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 9
Dawn patrol was lovely, although I started a bit early and thought I'd freeze to death (*snivel, whine*) before the sun began warming things up. But I might have to do another dawn patrol on Saturday.

Last week I thought I'd want to swap my neoprene tank top for a short-sleeve neoprene rash guard. Now I'm thinking long-sleeve neoprene rash guard...

Grocery shopping, lunch, a nap, and an afternoon full of paperwork.

Shoveled snow off the driveway yet again. We've already had double our normal annual snowfall amount and we're not even out of January yet! This is getting old in a hurry!

Thanks for your condolences on the passing of my mother. I did not really have any relationship with her. Most of the sadness connected with her passing is related to the fact that she never lived, she was a very negative person and yet she chose to make choices which made her life worse.

Her passing has made me look more closely at myself and my actions as I do not want to be like she was.

Still feeling jetlagged and am still in my pjs at 11.00 a.m. but hopefully next week I can actually accomplish something.

Today was a heck of a feel good day.
I did some rebate and bill paying paperw*rk today.

I finally found a home for a perfectly good wooden toboggan (1960s vintage) that has been in my outbuilding for way too long. One of the Legion bartenders has 4 grandkids and very fond memories of herself and siblings using a toboggan as kids. She came to pick it up today. She asked me if I wanted anything (money) for it, so I told her a few free beers would be fine as payment. :LOL:
Mr Boston helped fold and staple 750 Legion newsletters while he was at coffee with the dudes.
He came home just as I got a last minute call from one of the volunteers at the local Food Bank, asking if I could fill in for an unexpected shortage of volunteers. I hustled up the road and got a good 2 hour w*rkout emptying food items from boxes for the other volunteers to pick and fill a 12 item order.
My reward was a big welcome back from the crew :greetings10: and a bag of extra fresh oranges. I think I will get back into helping them out, as it is only a once a month time commitment. Who knows...I may even start ordering for myself again.
12 food items (of which 2 are fresh produce items) for $15.50 is hard to pass up.

Days like this are just fabulous, doing something constructive for the community. :D

DH and some members of his biker’s association are having their picture made at the Veteran’s Memorial today. The bikers are taking a memory book through the United States to honor a fallen soldier. The book will be filled with photos and signatures that will be given to the parents of this young man.

I’ve been asked to sketch a portrait of this soldier, and it will be given to his parents at a later date. I am honored to have been asked to do this and I will do my best. It will take me a while to complete his portrait as I know tears will fill my eyes with each stroke of my pen.

His life ended at the tender age of 25.

Is this something you could share with the forum when you're done? I think many of us would like to see it.
Thank you.

Post it anyway:)
Today I sketched the young man I talked about in my post. So here you go Avalon and Vicente.... It didn't photograph too well, but I think it came across good enough to post. Thanks for asking....:)

Attachments

• DSC02278.jpg
    DSC02278.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 16
Came out just fine. Very nicely done as it looks like you have some talent. I'm doing well if I draw recognizable stick people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom