Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #5361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a good real estate agent, who sold me the house. So, I plan to ask him to sell it for me. The Gantt chart says it will be a few weeks.
If the carpet is in pretty decent shape, hold off replacing. The buyer may want to pick out their own color, kind. In that case, you can negotiate a carpet "allowance," meaning a reduction in the price to cover part of the cost of replacing.

Just a thought.

-- Rita

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #5362
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
If the carpet is in pretty decent shape, hold off replacing. The buyer may want to pick out their own color, kind. In that case, you can negotiate a carpet "allowance," meaning a reduction in the price to cover part of the cost of replacing.

Just a thought.

-- Rita
Good idea. I thought of this as well and I plan to get a pre-listing evaluation from my realtor to see what he thinks about carpet and paint. The housing market here is so bad! And so is my carpet.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #5363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I know some people are courageous and utterly nonchalant about teetering over staggering, perilous heights. As for me, I would never even venture out onto your patio, much less repair a fence out there! Were I in your position, I would now call a high-rise fence painter instead of taking any further risks. But then, I admit that I am a chicken. Cluck cluck.)
Hey life is about living on the edge! Now that the sun has returned, here are a couple of shoots of the braces for the fence. When it gets warmer, I will paint them to match:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2831.JPG (60.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2832.jpg (439.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2830.jpg (196.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #5364
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
As much as I dislike painting, it sure beats w*rk.
Just remember, a bad day at home is better than a good day at w*rk.

I can't think of any home project I do that doesn't beat a day at w*rk.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #5365
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post

Not even washing dishes.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #5366
Recycles dryer sheets

As part of my goal to do a better job at ESR I have been trying to play more and post more.

So here goes. DW gave me the last two days to play at the lake house. The first day I rode the Sea Doo for a long ride and then took a nap in the hammock. I spent the afternoon fishing for bait for the next days fishing (Brim or Bluegill as the northerners call them). Yesterday I took the bait and a fishing buddy and I proceed to catch rockfish (striped bass). Not my best day by far but several over 10lbs which for that lake is not bad.

I managed to do a few items for DW today and spent the rest of the day on the framing for a new bathroom and walk-in closet we are putting in. DW has a ladies trip coming up which will give me the opportunity to pay her back for the time.

It was nice to spend a little time away from the kids but I am looking forward to their getting home soon.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #5367
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Hey life is about living on the edge! Now that the sun has returned, here are a couple of shoots of the braces for the fence. When it gets warmer, I will paint them to match:
OMG, I would pay NOT to have those views!!! It is definitely a long, long way down from there.

Take care, kcowan!! We'd miss you if you tripped and fell.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #5368
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post

That is so true. I think that if my realtor tells me to paint the living room and den, I will hire painters, though. Paying for painters is better than painting, which is better than work.

OK, after completing the bathroom painting project and having the gas line fixed, I had lunch with Frank and we made another Goodwill run. This time it was with Frank's stuff, but tomorrow we will take another load or two of my stuff.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #5369
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So far today I've taken a shower, then took a bit of a bath...with my investments that is... I always update my spreadsheet the last day of each month. Perhaps I should have waited until the end of today as the market is up...
I always update mine on the last day of the month, too. Just got home from work today and thinking of crunching the numbers after the run-up...just for a pick-me-up, LOL.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #5370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep - especially for anyone on the sidewalk below, eh?
Thought I'd stumbled into the "standing v. sitting" thread... Does it have to be voluntary?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #5371
Recycles dryer sheets

I adopted a dog today. Another 1st year of retirement item crossed off my list, now that I have the camper van and can take her with. She's a 5 month old smooth collie. I hope she doesn't get much bigger. My cats approved of her and took an instant liking to her. They had the veto power. Yesterday, I learned both of my cats have the beginnings of chronic renal failure. Tomorrow, the new dog goes to the vet.

I predict there will lots of dog training in my future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2202 new dog 5 months.JPG (168.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #5372
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
IYesterday, I learned both of my cats have the beginnings of chronic renal failure.
This may not be as bad as it sounds - some cats can live many years with early chronic renal failure if it's managed well. I had a cat who lived with it for a number of years, and lived to be 20 years old (and ultimately died of something else). It never progressed past mild.

Did your vet talk to you about managing their diet and/or giving subcutaneous fluids if necessary? I learned to give the sub-q fluids and it isn't really too bad.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #5373
Administrator

What a sweet dog, Tesaje! I don't know much about renal failure in cats, but I wish the best for them, and for you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #5374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I adopted a dog today. Another 1st year of retirement item crossed off my list, now that I have the camper van and can take her with. She's a 5 month old smooth collie. I hope she doesn't get much bigger. My cats approved of her and took an instant liking to her. They had the veto power. Yesterday, I learned both of my cats have the beginnings of chronic renal failure. Tomorrow, the new dog goes to the vet.

I predict there will lots of dog training in my future.
Nice adoption! I took my mutt to the vet today for routine stuff. I don't see how people afford multiple pets. Just the routine visits and meds adds up pretty quick.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #5375

Went for a morning motorcycle ride, met with a fellow retiree who is now looking for a job and was interested in working part time where I do. By the time we left the restaurant the temp was 94 F or so and too hot to go riding anywhere else so went home.

DW came back home from two days babysitting her nephew's four-year old and nine-month old. <Sigh>. I gotta get that girl into a basic photography class. She took a few pictures but "stabs" at the shutter button and half her photos are always blurry. I've tried to teach her but I think it is one of those emotional things with women that she thinks I'm being critical instead of helpful and she tenses up, which of course makes it worse. So perhaps someone more distant would be better. Women are soooo complicated!

Looking forward to an air show on Sunday.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #5376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Women are soooo complicated!
No we're not...well I suppose some could see us that way. Others don't. Then again I suppose all men could see us that way from time to time, but some of them would be wrong.

Are you listening to me? I'm just trying to communicate with you.

Oh never mind.

Would you like a cookie?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #5377
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Women are soooo complicated!
No, they are not........they just act that way at times........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #5378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
No we're not...well I suppose some could see us that way. Others don't. Then again I suppose all men could see us that way from time to time, but some of them would be wrong.

Are you listening to me? I'm just trying to communicate with you.

Oh never mind.

Would you like a cookie?
This is way too complicated.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #5379
Give me a forum ...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #5380
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Going for a bike ride around the seawall this afternoon with a buddy (while DW goes to lunch with her friends). Painted the fence yesterday (19 stories up). Will post some pics if I remember the camera.