Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #5541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Bought much stuff at farmers' market.
Went to nearby local "Pub and Eatery" and bought a reuben sandwich; hadn't had one in years.

On the last cruise we went on they had a deli that made corned beef sandwiches & Hot Pastrami sandwiches . I was in heaven.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #5542
Recycles dryer sheets

Took another lovely walk on the Canal today with a friend & 3 dogs. At the river, my dog found a big rotting fish. Eewww! I had keep pulling her away from it but she is much more responsive to me this week. She had a good time in the river & playing. Then I took a little nap. Then I drove down to the VIP (volunteer in park) appreciation dinner. They did a really nice job, the food was great & I got a nice calendar, certificate & a 1 year pin.

I was wondering how the park could do this for us since we could never spend gov funds on food when I was in. Turns out a private Canal trust pays for it. Yep, same rules for them.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #5543
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol. Took out my kid's 7'9" epoxy board in 6-8 foot surf. I was thrashed and trashed but I'm getting the hang of it. It's annoying to learn through repeated near-drownings firsthand how many bad habits you can pick up on a longer board. Hers floats like a potato chip and turns on a dime whether or not I happen to be standing on it at the moment. I'm going back out tomorrow (as soon as I stop taking the ibupofen) to un-learn a few more bad habits.

I find myself starting to have thoughts like "Gosh, I wouldn't mind getting an epoxy 9'0" and "Hmmm, maybe I should buy a couple used 10'0"s off Craigslist for our next batch of houseguests." Storage is an issue.

Now that our empty-nester food & utilities costs have dropped, we're starting to upgrade our lifestyle a bit. A couple months ago I ditched two ancient laptops for a new 14" ThinkPad. Spouse just returned from travel to inform me that it's "her" ThinkPad now (unless it happens to stop working) so yesterday I bought another 14" of that model. On impulse I decided to buy a new Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse to replace our eight-year-old battery hogs, and it looks like I'll be adding another wireless mouse to spouse's laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Won't be long before the cats are flaked out around the Jotul.
That feline looks like it's just suffered a debilitating spinal injury. Are you really supposed to be able to bend bend them like that or do they keep trying to snap back to their original configuration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Staying away from meats that have nitrates in them now.
When I dine out at local restaurants I can have yummy fresh ocean fish or other authentic Hawaiian cuisine, but I'm frequently tempted by Reubens which must have been shipped across a half-dozen time zones and stored for weeks in a freezer. I'm pretty sure our local chefs have never seen a NYC or Pittsburgh Reuben. But I console myself with the knowledge that the benefits of the sauerkraut must neutralize all the nitrates and most of the calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm utterly and completely exhausted, with all the physical exertion involved with getting the house ready to list.
Have you been using felt-footed furniture glides to help you pull & push the furniture around the wide-open areas?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #5544
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Bought much stuff at farmers' market.
Went to nearby local "Pub and Eatery" and bought a reuben sandwich; hadn't had one in years.
Mmmm, rueben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
I had completely forgotten about the reuben. They were good but pastrami on rye with cabbage borscht was my favorite. Staying away from meats that have nitrates in them now.
One could always corn their own beef (get your mind out of the gutter people...)

Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Quote:
I'm utterly and completely exhausted, with all the physical exertion involved with getting the house ready to list.

Today we moved the very large, antique solid oak dining table that I was using for a desk, out of my study. This is the heaviest oak dining table I have ever seen in my entire life. It weighs a TON (not literally, but it might as well). Not only was this table extremely heavy (did I mention it is heavy? ), it essentially filled my small study and had to be maneuvered on end through both tight spaces and three doorways to get it out into the main living space. At one point I was seriously thinking of getting out my saw and making kindling out of it just to end the pain, but finally it was in place in the dining room.

The heavy solid oak dining table was a wonderful, wonderful desk for me for many years but after I use it for staging my house, it is not going to go north with me.

Then, we made a Good Will run and went to Home Depot to buy what we need for the next few days. After returning home, I got to move some of my other furniture into my study, re-connect my computer and network once it was on the smaller desk, and roll up and remove the rug.
If/when I move again, anything The Salvation Army won't take stays with the house...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #5545
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If/when I move again, anything The Salvation Army won't take stays with the house...
That is what I am thinking too, especially since this is an interstate move. I will try to sell most of the remaining furniture to the buyers, if they want it. If not then the Salvation Army can have it.

By the way, the Salvation Army has taken the worst of my furniture and refused nothing. They were very grateful and the sentiment is mutual.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #5546
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Have you been using felt-footed furniture glides to help you pull & push the furniture around the wide-open areas?
Good idea, and just in time! No, I had forgotten about them, and thank you for the reminder. Now that I have that table out of my study, and some of the junkier furniture removed, there actually are some wide-open areas, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #5547

DW is happy. After months of procrastination we took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. A book case, 35" TV, a new but slow & noisy inkjet printer (came free with the new computer), 19" CRT computer monitor, clothes, etc. are no longer cluttering up the place.

Installed a dedicated electrical outlet for the laser printer. It draws about 9 amps on startup and that was too much for the same circuit the computer is on and set the UPS off repeatedly every time the heater came on. DW no longer grumps at me for running a 12 gauge orange extension cord to the kitchen when printing.

Delivered a six-foot wooden dinosaur to SIL for niece's upcoming bridal shower (it's a long story....).

But I'm willing to wager few have a stranger dining room centerpiece than that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laurie visit 012.jpg (124.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Laurie visit 011.jpg (177.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #5548
Administrator

Walt, I am glad to hear that GoodWill took your TV. I have an old 19" CRT TV that I want to donate but wasn't sure if they would take it.

And yes, that is a very unusual and spectacular centerpiece!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #5549
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Walt, I am glad to hear that GoodWill took your TV. I have an old 19" CRT TV that I want to donate but wasn't sure if they would take it.
Looks like you are in luck. The NO Goodwill website doesn't list TV's as a "we don't want" item. Wish our local Goodwill would take my old sets...

Quote:
What Items NOT to Donate
Air Conditioners
Automobile or truck parts, oil, gasoline, etc.
Carpeting
Car Seats
Clothes hangers
Computers (Older than 4 years)
Cosmetics
Firearms of any kind
Food, beverages
Furnaces, wall heaters
Furniture in need of repair or reupholstering
Gas powered equipment
Grills
Hazardous materials
Hospital beds
Lawn mowers
Magazines
Major appliances
Mattresses/box springs
Mildewed/soiled/wet clothing
Newspapers
Non-working electrical equipment
Swing sets
Toys

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #5550
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And yes, that is a very unusual and spectacular centerpiece!
We just gave our "working" old CRT TV to Salvation Army. Our son had been using it and the audio was a problem I think. But they also have a place to take electronics that are at the recycle stage. So if your TV isn't that great I think they have an alternative way to get rid of it.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #5551
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...(snip)...
Delivered a six-foot wooden dinosaur to SIL for niece's upcoming bridal shower (it's a long story....).

But I'm willing to wager few have a stranger dining room centerpiece than that one.
Nice piece of work Walt. I'm wondering what the future bride is suppose to be thinking about this one ?
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #5552
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like you are in luck. The NO Goodwill website doesn't list TV's as a "we don't want" item. Wish our local Goodwill would take my old sets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
We just gave our "working" old CRT TV to Salvation Army. Our son had been using it and the audio was a problem I think. But they also have a place to take electronics that are at the recycle stage. So if your TV isn't that great I think they have an alternative way to get rid of it.
Thanks REWahoo, Walt34, and lsbcal! We just got back from dropping off my old TV at Goodwill and they took it. Good! The last time I turned it on it was functioning, but that was probably around 2004. With small flatscreen TV's being so inexpensive these days, I didn't see any sense in moving this one north.

It's a nice feeling to be rid of it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #5553
Give me a forum ...

I was downtown earlier and the place is overrun with guys wearing red tee shirts and ball caps. First I thought, hey you tourists are supposed to go home by labor day, but turns out Nebraska is in town for a football game with our so-so but hopeful Huskies.

Ha
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #5554
Moderator Emeritus

Huskies vs. Huskers.

Sorry, it doesn't take much to amuse me...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I have to build one of those!

Instead I'm building beer crates and shelving units to organize my growing stockpile of home-brewed beer.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #5556
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry Ha...Go Huskers! Downtown here on game day is bright red all over. It's quite a sight.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #5557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... and choosing the military charities to receive the royalties.
The official Dilbert website with Scott Adams' color comic strips, animation, mashups and more!

dilbert 17 Sep 2010.JPG
Old 09-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #5558
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still cleaning the coffee off my monitor after reading this week's "Dilbert" strips...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #5559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Hi Freebird, I have a wood storage question. I'm on the California coast so we just get rain, no snow. I'm looking at your wood shed and wondering if when you get rain does the wood get too wet? In the past we stored the wood in our garage but I've heard that's not such a smart idea. So now I'm planning on going to a tarp and just bring in a little wood at a time but have heard that a wood shed is a nice way to go. Hence the question about wet wood in the rain, especially the driving rain one gets in storms around here.

P.S. Nice wood pile you have there!
Thanks!

Storing wood in the garage is a sure-fire recipe for carpenter ants or termites to take up residence.

The short answer...in 2 words or less...AIR CIRCULATION. Do not stack the wood too tightly. Air spaces are your best friend in a wood pile.
And do NOT cover your wood pile with a tarp. You would be creating the perfect moist environment for critters of all types.

My wood shed is situated so it gets sunlight at ALL times. It is also protected from excess rain by having the roof overhang out far enough to prevent too much rain from falling on the wood. It has real tar paper and shingles on the sloped roof. It also has a back overhang to keep water from dripping down and rotting the closed back.
You can't see it in the picture, but the east side of my house is approx 30 feet from the shed. Any driving rain or snow tends to be blown right over the woodshed by our prevailing westerly winds.
Once the wood dries out COMPLETELY, and I mean COMPLETELY, I transfer approx half a face cord to my unheated screened porch so that it is right outside my door. I inspect every single piece for critters (narrow tracks or pinholes).

Until the snow gets too deep, I continue to pull wood from outside. Then I use the supply in my porch.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #5560
Give me a forum ...

I had an early AM visit from my fave Bostonian.
Then I mowed the back forty.

I bought some beautiful crisp Cortland apples on my recent jaunt to Ithaca NY. The annual apple pie made completely from scratch is imminent. I may make "pot pie" size pies this year. I have several small foil tins hanging around.

Last years' creation to get your collective salivary glands going...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ApplePie09.jpg (462.1 KB, 0 views)