what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made plane reservations for DS and two grandsons (6 and 4) to come visit in July. We haven't seen them in almost 18 months so looking forward to visiting.

Also made reservations for all of us at Disneyland during their visit...this will be quite the adventure since I'm not crazy about crowds :)

Worked in my yard, it was 62 degrees. That's the first time above 60 since middle of October.

Hmmm - moved into my "new" office (yes - @ w*rk), now heading home to change for volleyball!!! I am in a new-to-me league, and this is week 2 - had a blast last week - and looking forward to tonight!! Wooohooo!!!

Dawg I just saw your post, I am very sorry that your Mom fell. I hope she will recover well and have many more good years with you. I second the others who said that you are a great son; you really are.

Ha

Made plane reservations for DS and two grandsons (6 and 4) to come visit in July. We haven't seen them in almost 18 months so looking forward to visiting.

Also made reservations for all of us at Disneyland during their visit...this will be quite the adventure since I'm not crazy about crowds :)

But think how great it will be seeing Disney from your grand children's eyes !

Spent all morning on the phone with banks talking about exchange rates - not a whole lot of fun.

Spent the afternoon eating out with a friend. We both had the chow mein - much more fun :)

Rode 81.7 miles on my bike (yay me) then soaked in hot bath. Training for a 100 mile ride on May 1. I'm beat.

So, Al, in reading the Bike Forums, I thought I might try to ride my age this year. Having never ridden more than about 20mi, it's quite a leap. So far, though, the usual Texas spring winds have limited my riding. Yes, I'm a wuss in the face of 20-30 mph winds...

So, Al, in reading the Bike Forums, I thought I might try to ride my age this year. Having never ridden more than about 20mi, it's quite a leap. So far, though, the usual Texas spring winds have limited my riding. Yes, I'm a wuss in the face of 20-30 mph winds...

Go for it! Build up gradually and you should have no trouble. IIRC you are 56 now, and will be 57 sometime in mid-August ;). Headwinds are tough though.

1. I mind winds less if I can ride home with a tailwind, so I plan my rides based on the wind forecast. You don't get all the energy back (because you spend more time in the headwind) but it feels like putting money in the bank, then being forces to withdraw it.

2. If winds will increase in the afternoon, you can ride upwind before they get strong.

3. You can plan your route based on shelter. I ride on the freeway when the wind is with me, and on the smaller hilly foresty road when it's against me.

4. Lena doesn't believe in drafting, so I tuck in behind her when it gets windy.

Go for it! Build up gradually and you should have no trouble. IIRC you are 56 now, and will be 57 sometime in mid-August ;). Headwinds are tough though.

1. I mind winds less if I can ride home with a tailwind, so I plan my rides based on the wind forecast. You don't get all the energy back (because you spend more time in the headwind) but it feels like putting money in the bank, then being forces to withdraw it.

2. If winds will increase in the afternoon, you can ride upwind before they get strong.

3. You can plan your route based on shelter. I ride on the freeway when the wind is with me, and on the smaller hilly foresty road when it's against me.

4. Lena doesn't believe in drafting, so I tuck in behind her when it gets windy.

The winds will throttle back in the summer.

As for the route, I can do it all on MPTs.

Dawg I just saw your post, I am very sorry that your Mom fell. I hope she will recover well and have many more good years with you. I second the others who said that you are a great son; you really are.

Ha

Thanks. Her recovery started off pretty good but seems to have gone backwards the last 1.5 days. Not eating anything much and can barely hear her voice. They tested to see if she was low on blood, but it came back pretty close to normal. So not sure what is going on. Obviously at 93, this is tough on her body and pain killers will make her weak. Hopefully she will perk up some tomorrow. I toured a couple of nursing homes today as she will need one for rehab. They didn't look all that depressing either, so that is a good thing.

Oh well, time for a few z's. Need to get back to hospital early so I don't miss the doctor on his rounds.

my first post on this topic as a retiree... went fishing yesterday... ; )

Attachments

• Bass 6 pack WEB.jpg
    Bass 6 pack WEB.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 142
I'm back.

So not sure what is going on. Obviously at 93, this is tough on her body and pain killers will make her weak. Hopefully she will perk up some tomorrow.
I toured a couple of nursing homes today as she will need one for rehab. They didn't look all that depressing either, so that is a good thing.
Dawg, my sympathies.

When my father was in the hospital last month, the difference between "on painkillers" and "painkiller free" was night & day. His last day on Dilaudid I thought he'd never walk unaided again. By the second day off Dilaudid he was roaming freely and itching to "go home".

If you haven't already done this, I'd strongly recommend hiring a geriatric care provider to help you with the process. They know how to accelerate the process with the hospital's discharge coordinator and they can immediately help you sort through the nursing-home options. I paid one roughly $100/hour but it would have taken us weeks to achieve worse results.

Babysat the kitchen renovations.

Counter tops in, done. Trimwork mostly done. Cork floor install starts tomorrow, with the added stink of glue and first finish coat. Think I'll sleep in my trailer tomorrow night. DW seems immune to such unpleasant stuff, I'm super allergic to most chemicals.

I visited 2 area restaurants and asked if they would display (sell) my oil paintings. Both said YES! This could be the start of something green!

Not much on TV and we can't go outside on a rainy dreary day. :(

Mr B and I divided up and re-wrapped 6 lbs of cold cuts, 3 lbs of cheese and 2 lbs of slab BACON :D that we bought from the Mennonite store the other day. The prices there are almost half of what we would pay anywhere else. The quality of the meats is fabulous. We normally buy half the amount, but with gas prices where they are...this haul will last us at least 3 weeks if not longer.

I found half of a rotisserie chicken and a 1/4 rack of Dinosaur BBQ short ribs in the freezer. They are cooking nice and slow in the oven with a good slathering of Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce over them to moisten them up. Mmmm...mmmm...mmmmmmmmm

I visited 2 area restaurants and asked if they would display (sell) my oil paintings. Both said YES! This could be the start of something green!
Our branch library is always displaying the art from local painting classes. I'm impressed.

I'm back.

Dawg, my sympathies.

When my father was in the hospital last month, the difference between "on painkillers" and "painkiller free" was night & day. His last day on Dilaudid I thought he'd never walk unaided again. By the second day off Dilaudid he was roaming freely and itching to "go home".

If you haven't already done this, I'd strongly recommend hiring a geriatric care provider to help you with the process. They know how to accelerate the process with the hospital's discharge coordinator and they can immediately help you sort through the nursing-home options. I paid one roughly $100/hour but it would have taken us weeks to achieve worse results.

The surgeon gave me 2 good recommendations so I went with one of those. This guy was the most caring doc I have ever met and I felt good with his suggestions. Got her in one today and talked to the rehab people. They seem to think they can do some good for her. She did perk up some today and I think it was because she didn't take as many pain killers.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had several cups of decaf coffee (extra milk and sugar :D) for breakfast.

It was a sunny day, so I went outside and got some yard w*rk done :dance: while Mr B went to the Syracuse VA for a dental appt. I intentionaly did not eat so my calorie burn would be optimized without consumed food adding to the daily equation. I raked up some flattended oak leaves and cedar hedge droppings, put my driftwood collection back into the tulip garden, cleared away some dead mum stalks, dislodged and swept up the packed down sand from the end of the driveway. It felt great to get some exercise. :clap: My back, legs and hands are complaining a little bit, but I'll survive.
Then I sat on the front steps and had a nice cold Mike's Hard Limeade and watched the traffic go by. ;)
When he returned around 2 PM, we realized we were both starving.
I made 2 dinner plates of super nachos with taco meat, cheddar cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Mr B added sliced jalapenos to his plate. Not this kid. :nonono:

Weather permitting, I will be right back out there tomorrow doing some more low to medium impact yard chores, such as picking up dead tree branches or trimming the grass away from my flower garden borders or cutting back my blackberry bushes before they grow leaves.

I admired all the violets (blue & white) on my lawn.
I love the violets.
Here they are considered a weed & hired help have tried to kill them.

Same for clover.

Received the confirmation of delivery for my state tax return and was amused to discover the name of the person who signed for it - "Peter Dosh". Fellow Brits and others familiar with British vernacular will appreciate how fitting his name is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom