Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #6341
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just spent half an hour playing with the chinchilla while my daughter cleaned her cage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #6342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

High of 79F (26C) and low of 52F (11C) with clear sky here. We went for a walk of 3 miles through the neighborhood, past the town home that my daughter has made an offer on. Then, we went home to have lunch with canned sardine.

The weather here is most perfect this time of year. Before people from "up north" and the Midwest start to throw stones, let me hurry to add that this is the payback for our scorching 120F summers. Heh heh heh... It's my turn to gloat.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #6343
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Growing bacteria...making yogurt
Old 12-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #6344
Give me a forum ...

Plowed snow. We are finally getting in Michigan what nailed Minneapolis and Wisconsin yesterday. I have a small Kubota with 4WD and a front end leader and back blade. I cleaned up the road and did a couple of neighbors' driveways. Now they know who I think is naughty or nice.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #6345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Plowed snow. We are finally getting in Michigan what nailed Minneapolis and Wisconsin yesterday. I have a small Kubota with 4WD and a front end leader and back blade. I cleaned up the road and did a couple of neighbors' driveways. Now they know who I think is naughty or nice.
'Tis the season to be jolly...fa la la la LA la la la la

Don't send that snow my way.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #6346
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Celebrated the young wife's 50th birthday:
This made me think of another post made by you not long ago. I hope you don't mind me reviving it. It's very thoughtful and inspiring.

Some Random Thoughts on Turning 50
Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #6347
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went through 3 airports and drove home through the snow.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #6348
Give me a forum ...

I am indulging myself in a childhood Christmas classic on CBC (Canadian TV) channel CKWS.
A great story about how different is not always wrong.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 AM   #6349
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
'Tis the season to be jolly...fa la la la LA la la la la

Don't send that snow my way.

Just wait.....
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #6350
Give me a forum ...

The last couple of days too cold to do much outdoors. Good news, it's warming up. But with warmer weather, some rain moves in as well. Oh well, looks like I'm catching a good old fashion cold so probably won't be in the mood for golf anyway.

Some good news today. I purchased an AIG bond 2.5 years ago, just a few months before the financial meltdown. Dumb I know, but it was rated A- at the time and I thought what can go wrong on a short term bond like this. Heh heh, well I found out and the value of the bond dropped to 30% of face value at one point. A drop in value = an increase in med's. But a happy ending, received all my dividends and paid off in full today. The proceeds of which is headed to Penfed to put on the 5% cd special they ran a couple of months ago.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #6351
Recycles dryer sheets

Two sets of 2 on 1 tennis (I was the single guy - took on a twosome).

18 holes of golf.

Three loads of laundry/vacuumed.

I love Florida weather.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #6352
Give me a forum ...

Up all night tending to sick patients

Got a few hours sleep during the workday

Made an appearance at the office holiday party

Now ready to hit the sack! ZZZZZZZZ
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #6353
Moderator Emeritus

I gave away money for year 2010.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #6354
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
The last couple of days too cold to do much outdoors. Good news, it's warming up. But with warmer weather, some rain moves in as well. Oh well, looks like I'm catching a good old fashion cold so probably won't be in the mood for golf anyway.

Some good news today. I purchased an AIG bond 2.5 years ago, just a few months before the financial meltdown. Dumb I know, but it was rated A- at the time and I thought what can go wrong on a short term bond like this. Heh heh, well I found out and the value of the bond dropped to 30% of face value at one point. A drop in value = an increase in med's. But a happy ending, received all my dividends and paid off in full today. The proceeds of which is headed to Penfed to put on the 5% cd special they ran a couple of months ago.
What great news! What a relief it must be knowing that your AIG bond bought right before the meltdown, paid off in full. Whew! Now let's hope that Penfed stays solvent....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #6355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What great news! What a relief it must be knowing that your AIG bond bought right before the meltdown, paid off in full. Whew! Now let's hope that Penfed stays solvent....
At least we have federal insurance on this one. Although the AIG bailout turned out to be close to the same thing.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #6356
Moderator Emeritus

For some reason I woke up at 3AM. It's now~10AM. I'm seriously considering going back to bed.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #6357
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
For some reason I woke up at 3AM. It's now~10AM. I'm seriously considering going back to bed.
When I find myself in a similar situation I take a practice nap to see if returning to bed is really necessary.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #6358
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to 5 inches of fresh snow. My plowing guy came by at 10 AM and cleared the driveway.
Syracuse airport (Hancock) is reporting 69 inches of snow, year to date. I am surrounded by places that are reporting snowfall in feet.
I am surfing while Mr Boston watches TV. I have the house to myself tonight while he goes to a Legion meeting. Sounds like a great opportunity to play some opera or The Great Voices of Christmas music CDs.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #6359
Moderator Emeritus

We're picking up our prodigal daughter in about four hours. She thinks she's survived Chemistry 101*, although in three weeks she'll have to return to face Chemistry 102. She has admitted that it'd be OK with her if I paid next semester's room/board bill. NROTC already paid next semester's tuition, so they must not be too unhappy with her!

I get to drive the Prius to the airport this afternoon, and then that'll probably be the last time I get to touch the steering wheel for three weeks. Heck, it might be the last time I see it during daylight.

Spouse found herself actually cleaning up the house for our daughter's return. Oh the irony.

Next I'm making spaghetti sauce for tonight's dinner. It'll be the first time that spouse or I have actually cooked a meal (other than a frozen dinner or a pizza) since our daughter left for college in August.

*[We have a family story that puts more pressure on her chemistry experience. I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry. I met spouse when she was failing freshman chemistry and I was assigned as her tutor. Spouse pulled out a "B" but of course she's been payin' it back now for over 30 years. Clearly our daughter has inherited the wrong set of chemistry genes, but as far as we can tell she's determined to survive the subject without a tutor...]

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #6360
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

*[We have a family story that puts more pressure on her chemistry experience. I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry. I met spouse when she was failing freshman chemistry and I was assigned as her tutor. Spouse pulled out a "B" but of course she's been payin' it back now for over 30 years. Clearly our daughter has inherited the wrong set of chemistry genes, but as far as we can tell she's determined to survive the subject without a tutor...]
I actually met my spouse the semester I have Calc and she let it slip she had a degree in math and was working on a PhD in stats. I knew I had stats the following semester. Things always work out

Tomcat98