what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many that here that check out the transfer station it frequently looks like a desert watering hole.

There are so many that here that check out the transfer station it frequently looks like a desert watering hole.

We're not allowed to take anything from the dump around here. I've never understood why. Freecycling is one of the purest forms of recycling there is. Even the guys that work there supposedly can't take anything. I'm sure some things accidently fall into their truck beds from time to time, though.

We're not allowed to take anything from the dump around here. I've never understood why. Freecycling is one of the purest forms of recycling there is. Even the guys that work there supposedly can't take anything. I'm sure some things accidently fall into their truck beds from time to time, though.

We're not allowed to do that, either! I'm beginning to feel like we are missing something, here. :)

We're not allowed to do that, either! I'm beginning to feel like we are missing something, here. :)

Again not to rub it in, but you are definitely missing something (at least IMO) if you don't have an exchange (sometimes called `take it or leave it' or, in wealthy towns like mine, just `The Mall') area at your local dump. Some towns in this area just don't bother, and a couple had those areas but did away with them. It does take some time and effort for the transfer station workers to monitor and manage a place for items with some value still left in them - ostensibly nothing broken nor merely trash - for recycling.

To me, if you have to haul your own trash to the dump, you might as well have some fun while doing it by scrounging through other people's garbage to see if you can find something useful. I've found tons of things - especially toys for the grands - over the years. One time I found a complete, unused (still in the package) set of side window visors for my Maxima. And I have more slot cars sets than I, my kids and grandkids, and their kids down the road will EVER be able to use.

I agree. Landfills are where I used to find my girlie magazines when I was a lad. What do the kids do these days? Oh yeah, the internet.

I have spent a very frustrating 4 hours trying to set up my new wireless multifunction printer (Brother MFC-9320W). It just won't talk to my computer. I have turned off all the firewalls. I have reinstalled the software and put in the IP address of my router, and rearranged my equipment to bring the router as close as possible to the printer, but nothing seems to work. Unfortunately all the help lines are now closed as they are focused on Eastern time. I'm sure there is a simple fix but it will have to wait till tomorrow. Bummer!

My wireless Brother printer had to be connected to the router by USB cable while the installation was going on. After install was complete the USB connection was removed. It was a small note in the instructions and could be easily missed.

My wireless Brother printer had to be connected to the router by USB cable while the installation was going on. After install was complete the USB connection was removed. It was a small note in the instructions and could be easily missed.

Thanks Nodak. I did that, and no, it was not at all obvious in the manual! But no joy. I've had enough for this evening and will sleep on it and get technical help in the morning.

Nords said:
Google's Streetview vehicle passed in front of the place while we were working. I wonder how long it takes for them to process the imagery and get it up on the Maps website.

I saw the Google car twice in one day in 2008. I kept checking for our area to show up and it was about 5 months later that it was updated.

I'm there, parked in my car, at my crossing guard corner. The 2nd place where I saw it was not included.

I have spent a very frustrating 4 hours trying to set up my new wireless multifunction printer (Brother MFC-9320W). It just won't talk to my computer. I have turned off all the firewalls. I have reinstalled the software and put in the IP address of my router, and rearranged my equipment to bring the router as close as possible to the printer, but nothing seems to work. Unfortunately all the help lines are now closed as they are focused on Eastern time. I'm sure there is a simple fix but it will have to wait till tomorrow. Bummer!

No service from Brother today as they are based in Quebec and it's a statutory holiday there (St. Jean Baptiste Day). The lack of a printer/scanner/fax is really impacting on my ability to get things done, so I bit the bullet and called the local franchise of Geeks on the Way. Very pleasant and knowledgeable guy arrived within 90 minutes, and it took him almost 2 hours to set everything up. It turns out that my (LBYM, i.e. old), laptop is so old that the drivers were written before they had wireless networks. And anyhow, setting up this device is way more complicated than the manual suggests. There is no way that I could have solved all the issues myself and no way that a remote phone call would have solved this. It's up and running now and the money was well spent. At least it's a legitimate business expense. :)

No service from Brother today as they are based in Quebec and it's a statutory holiday there (St. Jean Baptiste Day). The lack of a printer/scanner/fax is really impacting on my ability to get things done, so I bit the bullet and called the local franchise of Geeks on the Way. Very pleasant and knowledgeable guy arrived within 90 minutes, and it took him almost 2 hours to set everything up. It turns out that my (LBYM, i.e. old), laptop is so old that the drivers were written before they had wireless networks. And anyhow, setting up this device is way more complicated than the manual suggests. There is no way that I could have solved all the issues myself and no way that a remote phone call would have solved this. It's up and running now and the money was well spent. At least it's a legitimate business expense. :)

I'm so glad you managed to resolve the problem! I have a Brother wireless laser printer that I bought in 2005, and I had trouble setting up the wireless too. I wasn't feeling patient enough to put much effort into it and didn't get anywhere in my attempts to set it up. So, instead of using the wireless connection I just walk over there with the laptop and plug in the USB cable to my laptop when I want to print. I don't print very often so that seems to work for me. But if I needed it for business as you do, I'd have been tearing my hair out. :)

I was readying my boat in the driveway for launch once it stops raining and thundering, and did my usual pre-launch check of the blower and horn and a quick key to start position check. Nothing. The shop where I have it winterized and store it had fully charged the battery just a few weeks ago. It started up just fine then. Hmmmmm...:confused:
So I took it back to the shop today. They did a diagnostic with a current meter to see what was drainihg the battery, and they discovered that the AUTO bilge switch was stuck in the ON position. That was disabled, leaving me manual control of the bilge from the driver's console. They again tried to charge the battery, and it would not hold a charge. The battery is 6 years old.
So I authorized a new marine battery purchase and installation. I will hear from them tomorrow.
Launch is scheduled for Sunday, the first rain free day in the forecast. :D

Yesterday was catching up on "taking stuff to recycle" day. We filled half the pickup truck with old books, instructional materials, an old keyboard, UPS unit, and I suppose it's safe to throw out my DOS 5.0 manual. DW has been wanting this done for about five years so she's happy.

Oh boy, a new toy!

Nikon D7000 DSLR. This is one a professional photographer might carry as a backup, and has more bells & whistles than I knew a camera could have. It is going to take a month or more to figure out how best to use these capabilities.

Right off the bat I notice that finally, a digital camera with no shutter lag, which is that half-second or so between the time the shutter button is pressed and the shutter opens. And it can crank out 6 frames per second, terrific for fast-moving subjects like sports, little kids, racing, air shows and the like so you can get "the shot" that is over in less than half a second.

Even with just the kit lens I'm impressed with the color and clarity.

Slept in late this morning as DH and I had a late supper last night. Yesterday was our 34th wedding anniversary. Scallops, asparagus with spinach ravioli, wine and chocolate cake with strawberries were consumed.

Mmmm...there's leftover chocolate cake in the refrigerator calling my name....

Congratulations, bbbami! We'll be hitting 32 years in a couple of months. It's amazing you can be married to someone for so long that it feels like it's always been that way, and at the same time feel like you can't possibly be old enough to be married that long. Nice celebration too! And here I don't know people in North Texas even knew about scallops.

I got up early to give Mr B a nice H&K sendoff to his Boys' State event.
I am in full goof-off mode, listening to the digital cable 1970s music channel, napping off and on in the recliner and watching it rain (again :().
My boat is all ready for launch tomorrow, complete with a brand new battery and the defective AUTO bilge switch disabled. I know I am going to go into shock when I fill the gas tank on land before launch. Then I get to pay the repair bill. :facepalm:
I have a friend lined up to help me. I can back up the trailer and do all other pre-launch things, but it will be useful to have someone holding the lines to keep the boat from floating away when I hit the brake to propel it completely off the drive-on trailer. :LOL:

Congratulations, bbbami! We'll be hitting 32 years in a couple of months.
Thank you and congrats on your upcoming anniversary. :flowers:
It's amazing you can be married to someone for so long that it feels like it's always been that way, and at the same time feel like you can't possibly be old enough to be married that long.
Ain't that the truth.

....from time to time I think about the fact if we had children, we could have a grandchild old enough to be a teenager. :blink:
Nice celebration too! And here I don't know people in North Texas even knew about scallops.
Well, we saw this thing called 'scallops' on the menu. We figgered life was short, so why not have somethin' new and exotic....:angel:......:LOL:

Congratulations, BbbamI and your DH! Happy Anniversary, and many more. :)

Yesterday I ordered a desk for my home office. That room is only 9'x9', with numerous doors and windows, and is already stuffed with furniture.

So, something has to give. I just moved my 6' barrister's bookcase and all the books in it from the home office to my guest bedroom. Just the books completely filled 5 of those large plastic containers/boxes. Luckily, the bookcase is modular so I could move each shelf (with its glass door) separately. Unluckily, each module is surprisingly bulky and heavy.

Still, I am glad I have been working out because that made it a lot easier than it otherwise might have been. I am also glad that I got rid of 90% of my books last fall, in anticipation of the move-that-never-happened.

Once I have cooled off a bit I'll reassemble it, put the books in it, and then start thinking of moving other pieces around in my home office, or possibly out of it, to make room for the new desk. I have a tentative design laid out on graph paper so everything will FIT - - with a whole inch or two of leeway. ;) Still, whether or not it feels crowded is something that graph paper just won't tell me so I might have to juggle the furniture about a little bit.

Last edited:
Slept in late this morning as DH and I had a late supper last night. Yesterday was our 34th wedding anniversary. Scallops, asparagus with spinach ravioli, wine and chocolate cake with strawberries were consumed.

Mmmm...there's leftover chocolate cake in the refrigerator calling my name....

You may be bewitched, bothered and bewildered......but you've got staying power! Many congratulations to you and DH! And to Harley and DW too! :flowers:

I got up early to give Mr B a nice H&K sendoff to his Boys' State event.

I'm still trying to figure out this `H&K sendoff.' Pretty sure the `H' has something to do with the hands though. And is Boys State in NY (I think that's where you are) still at Morrisville College? I went there the summer of 67 - between my junior and senior years in High School.

Oh yeah, we'll be hitting our 39th anniversary in 2 more months.

Yesterday I ordered a desk for my home office.

I might have to juggle the furniture around a little bit.

Sounds just what I am doing these days! I have a bookcase in my living room but I am thinking of moving it to one of the bedrooms. I have a small office/den in my new place, and before buying anything I measured it every which way, several times. I bought the mirror image of this desk on sale

http://www.slf-co.com/home_office_collections/kendall.html

and am very happy with it. The chair is on order. Since I now have my printer and all my electronics set up I am ready to organize my desk as soon as the laundry is done (the laundry is off the den). I splurged and bought myself a new bamboo sheet set. This is my first big laundry day in my new place, and I made a horrifying discovery: I have no dryer sheets! :2funny:

I'm still trying to figure out this `H&K sendoff.' Pretty sure the `H' has something to do with the hands though. And is Boys State in NY (I think that's where you are) still at Morrisville College? I went there the summer of 67 - between my junior and senior years in High School.

Oh yeah, we'll be hitting our 39th anniversary in 2 more months.

H&K = Hug and Kiss :D

Yes, still held at Morrisville College. Over 1000 young men, in the top 15% of their class scholastically, from all over the state are attending. Mr B signed up as an Assistant Counselor, not a full-fledged Counselor, to see if it is something he will want to continue to do. He told me that wakeup call for everyone is at 4 AM, with active duty Marines managing the flock of boys before they attend classes.

I can't WAIT to hear the stories. :LOL:

http://www.boysandgirlsstate.org/boys.html

Congrats bbbami. Our 34th anniversary is next month, hard to believe it's been that long.

I'm just taking a break from unpacking boxes and setting up beds, tv's, etc. in the new house. We finished unloading the Uhaul truck this morning, just have a few odds and ends left at the Virginia house. Will make a couple of trips over the next couple of days to clear it out and clean up- closing is supposed to be on Thursday so keeping our fingers crossed.

BTW, the new owner of the house has asked us to meet them there one day this week to show them how a number of things work, pool controls, home theater, and a couple of other general questions- does anyone see an issue with doing this before closing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom