what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my sunroom painted. Yippee! :D

Now I'm in a twist about what pictures I should hang on the wall..if any. :p

I don't think I'm a big 'pictures hangin' on the wall' kind o' gal.

If you don't wanna see pictures on your wall, and neither does your DH, then maybe there isn't any need to hang any. :) Some people prefer simplicity in their decorating and that seems reasonable to me.

(though I AM a big 'pictures hangin' on the wall' kind o' gal, but only because I like them up there)

If you don't wanna see pictures on your wall, and neither does your DH, then maybe there isn't any need to hang any. :) Some people prefer simplicity in their decorating and that seems reasonable to me.

(though I AM a big 'pictures hangin' on the wall' kind o' gal, but only because I like them up there)
I think we have two pictures hanging on the walls in most of the rooms in our house. Our living room has a mirror...but no pictures.

I've seen lovely displays of art on my friend's walls..but I just can't seem to put anything together that we would both like. If it was up to him, we'd have pics of motorcycles and airplanes on the walls. :blink:

Just back from northern Virginia. We closed on our house there this afternoon, no problems, met the buyer and they are thrilled, they have purchased their dream home and told us about a lot of their plans. House was on the market about 6 weeks and feel like we got a fair price.

We're back to one house and NO mortgage. Surrounded by boxes of stuff to find a place for. Moving from over 5,000 square feet and 5 1/2 baths to to 2,200 square feet and 2 baths, anyone need a few plungers? Now we really feel like we're retired.

Congratulations! I grew up about 30 miles NW of Romney (just across the Potomac in MD). First time I've ever seen Romney mentioned anywhere in cyberspace :)

Spouse and I visited the USS ARIZONA Memorial with one of my high school classmates and her family. It's the first time I've met her spouse & kids. Her daughter is a spittin' image of Mom's high school yearbook photo. They live in the same ZIP code we grew up in, their kids go to the same high school we [-]vandalized[/-] attended, and they have some of the same teachers we [-]exasperated[/-] had 33+ years ago.

It's the first time I've seen the Memorial's movie since it was digitized & remastered. Very impressive. They've also upgraded the audio headset tour from 1980s Ernest Borgnine to 2010 Jamie Lee Curtis.

Both of the small boats were conned by E-5 coxs'ns. One of them had two Navy Achievement Medals on his ribbon bar. The other had four, although he looked old enough to be making E-5 for the second or third time. It's definitely a different Navy...

OK, it was yesterday but I woke up at about 7:30 and feel back a sleep until 8:30. Got up, took care of the garden and watched some recorded TV to clear room for the Firefly marathon on Monday. Went out and cleaned the pool then ate lunch. The wife and I then went skinny dipping since the kids are off with grandma. After that we, well none of your business! Then we went out to the porch and relaxed while I had a beer and smoked a cigar. About 6 pm we grilled some rib-eyes and whipped up some salad and garlic bread. After dinner we took a little ride to a ghost town about 20 miles away. We got a flat tire, but changed it and made it home OK. Then we spent about 2 hours stargazing with the telescope and went to bed about midnight.

Epic day. While I love our kids, made me realize what retirement would be like if they were out of the nest. It would be grand. In due time.

It was free fishing day in California, so I fished for a few hours. No bites, which surprised me since everything seemed right, but it was nice weather and very picturesque.

FreeFishingDay1.jpgFreeFishingDay2.jpg

Just heard from my taekwondo sparring buddy who's at the nationals in San Jose. He took 2nd. (The gold medalist is competing in the worlds tomorrow.) He seems surprised to do as well as he did, but I think it's a result of the high-quality training.

I worked on my Dad's finances & files for an hour or so, making sure that everything's caught up. The long-term care insurance claim seems ready for approval, we've just about moved everything out of his apartment, and this should be the last month of rent/utilities. Now we're waiting on the lawyer and the courts for guardianship/conservatorship.

Today I'm selling the last of the EE bonds in our daughter's college fund for her sophomore room/board. We purchased them between 1992-1996. Hard to believe it's coming to an end. I bonds are next, and then we'll start chewing through the CDs.

After dinner it'll be another hour of weeding. I think I've already removed several hundred feet of bitter melon vines, but at least now spouse can get to the grass with the weedwhacker.

Went out and cleaned the pool then ate lunch. The wife and I then went skinny dipping since the kids are off with grandma. After that we, well none of your business!
... and then you cleaned the pool again!

DW & I went to the movies to see Larry Crowne, Tom Hank's latest movie. I think it just got to the local theaters yesterday. Afterwards, we stopped by one of our favorite Mexican restaurants & grabbed some chips & margaritas, drove around & looked at some neighborhoods we're considering for retirement, and then slid into Dairy Queen where I scored a small strawberry sundae w/pecans. Back to the casa to watch tv & feel fat.

It was a great day. Got up at 8 am, recycled the last of the packing material. It was such a beautiful morning I went out for a walk by the lake and enjoyed watching people less LBYM than myself enjoy expensive watersports. :LOL: Made friends with some locals.

After lunch (grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, kale salad) I unpacked a wooden filing cabinet for assembly. Unfortunately some key screws are missing and I need 56 of them, so I will follow up on that tomorrow. :(

Picked up friends, drove to a small city about 50 Km south of here where we visited a microbrewery, had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant on the lake, and enjoyed an awesome performance by Cirque du Soleil. After an invigorating walk we drove home. I'll sleep well tonight!

Found the missing screws and assembled the filing cabinet. Here it is!

Last edited:
Yesterday we installed some vinyl sheet flooring and a toilet in our basement bath- were going to install a vanity we purchased but when we opened the box, the granite top was cracked in three places.

While cooking dinner last night, we had a visitor checking out the new place. Turns out there were actually two of them. DW was able to walk within about 10 feet of them while they were snacking in the high grass beside the driveway. I finally spooked them back in to the trees when I tried to get closer for a better picture. No sign of the mother but sure she was out there somewhere.

img_1085683_0_eed97974662f1047cbdc84b47520770d.jpg

Just finished our fifth night of after-dinner weeding. Each night has only been an hour but it's been the hardest kind of hand-weeding. We've already filled three of our four green waste recycling cans and that pickup isn't for another 11 days. We're approaching the halfway point of the weeding but it's all California grass and haole koa trees from here. We really need a tough and shade-tolerant grass (zoysia?) to take over under the mango trees.

Another gorgeous sunset, and the skies are clouding up nicely. Hopefully we'll have a good hard rain tonight to keep down the fireworks scofflaws. It's Hawaii's first pyrotechnic holiday since the new no-fireworks law was passed, and it'll be interesting to see how enforcement works out.

I went to a party and met a lot of nice young people. I shared grilling duties with a young guy from U.A.E who went to university over here but has returned home to work for AIG in Dubai.

Very interesting guy, and overall a fun way to spend the afternoon. Right now I am watching frieworks out my window.

Ha

First full day at w*rk. Went very well. Below is the park and beach behind the hospital. Had a delightful walk in the neighbourhood. On the way home, went winetasting and picked up some good Gamay Noir for $9.50 at the winery. It's just terrible what I have to put up with. ;)

Last edited:
Had a nice fourth, watched fireworks on TV after taking a short local trip to a car show. Very heavy rain in the late afternoon, sure it ruined a lot of cook outs that would have been going on.

Baby deers are still here, third day. No sign of the mother so may be abandoned or orphans. We've seen a lot of evidence to see they've been laying in the grass near the house and we see them most every time we go outside now- they head in to the woods but obviously aren't going far.

I've been enjoying watching the tour de france. I record from the Internet in the morning for free, then watch later. If you say it's boring, I can't disagree, but it's great scenery and interesting to a cyclist.

I've been enjoying watching the tour de france. I record from the Internet in the morning for free, then watch later. If you say it's boring, I can't disagree.

I saw the tour finale in Paris a few years ago - and THAT was a snoozefest as well. But, to each their own. Only things worse (at least to me) are soccer and baseball. Oh yeah, and golf.

davemartin88 said:
Baby deers are still here, third day. No sign of the mother so may be abandoned or orphans. We've seen a lot of evidence to see they've been laying in the grass near the house and we see them most every time we go outside now- they head in to the woods but obviously aren't going far.

The mothers will leave the fawns near a house for protection, go about their day, and come back for them later. Baby deer do not have a scent that predators can hone in on, so they are generally safe around your house. I've had them curled up next to my deck for a couple of days at a time, but I don't think I've had them 3 straight days like you have.

You'll have to be selective with your landscaping with deer around the house. At our place, they eat almost any type of flower as well as several types of bushes.

I planted a "greengold" avocado tree in our front yard. (Already have an avocado tree that doesn't bear much fruit, and kaffir lime, breadfruit, coconut.)

The deer are still here, they seem to be settling in after nearly a week. We thought they were gone yesterday and as we walked the dogs (we're on 61 acres so have a long! driveway) we were watching for them in their usual spot. DW turned around and one was laying in the grass at the edge of the drive about 10 feet away watching us. We may be as much entertainment for them as they are for us when we're out with the three dogs. One of the dogs saw them and got pretty yippy and agitated so the deer ran off, we thought that might be the end of them but they were back by the workshop last night grazing.

Ronstar, we know the drill on the plants, between the deer and rabbits at our old place, hard to keep much vegetation and seeing plenty of both here. We've had mixed success on plants that deer supposedly don't like, think it depends a lot on the general environment. During last years drought, they ate everything.

This year at the new house, not an issue as we just have weeds on top of hard shale fill- hope to start some landscaping in the fall or spring and will try to go with native plants that don't need a lot of care and if the deer get some of it, oh well. Interesting about the scent for the babies, I think the main predator in this area is hunters in the fall for deer season.

The mothers will leave the fawns near a house for protection, go about their day, and come back for them later. Baby deer do not have a scent that predators can hone in on, so they are generally safe around your house. I've had them curled up next to my deck for a couple of days at a time, but I don't think I've had them 3 straight days like you have.

You'll have to be selective with your landscaping with deer around the house. At our place, they eat almost any type of flower as well as several types of bushes.

Those fawns look very tender. JK.

Just got back from a short trip to MA and NH to visit Mr B's family. We went to a family BBQ, and hopped over to Gloucester for a visit to the Fisherman's Memorial and a whole lobster at a waterfront restaurant. I finally got to see the ocean! :dance: It was blazing hot so we didn't walk around too much in town, for his 82 yo Mom's benefit.
Nice to travel but good to be home. :)

Laundry is done, suitcases are unpacked, and I just finished watering my container garden. Every tomato plant is loaded with blossoms and 3 green tomatoes have formed. :D
The Bushmaster cucumbers are taking over the free world, climbing up the cotton twine I hung from the faux bamboo support. I counted 5 two inch cukes, with dozens of blossoms forming yet more cukes. :blink:
I harvested some spinach (just in time before it bolted) from a window box container. I made a baby shrimp and roasted red pepper over spinach salad for lunch. Yummy! I planted another round of seeds in case the trimmed back spinach plants don't regrow leaves for me.

Skated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom