Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #641
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Refinanced my mortgage at 4.87% today!
Congratulations! That should help.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #642

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Ronstar - be sure to insist on physical therapy - even if you think your ankle feels pretty good when you get the cast off. A few years ago I had a broken elbow and a sprained ankle. The ankle seemed fine, especially compared to the elbow (for which I did have physical therapy). But there's a little residual ankle stiffness that I feel now and then and I wish I'd taken them up on the offer for PT for the foot.
I'm sure physical therapy is in the doctor's plans. The doctor owns a physical therapy center in the same building as his orthopedic practice. I agree that I need it - I had pt when I broke my wrist a few yeasr ago and it helped a lot.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #643
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It was sunny and snowing for a while. No sticky to pavement. Temp 26 F. The weather blather bloviators are promising up to 8" overnight.

Took my suburban for annual inspection. $34.64 Mechanic says: how do you keep it so clean and rust free underneath? I said, never drive it in salt.

Then off for coffee and BS at the greasy spoon. Now kick back, play on the web, then rest up for dinner.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #644
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Walked downtown and had oysters on the shell at Jack's in the Public Market.

Met a friend and visited the Edward Hopper exhibit at S.A.M. Very small exhibit, but I have always liked his paintings and never saw them until this exhibit came to town.

Stopped by McD's for a "Recession Steak" and senior coffee, then home on the bus.

Ha
Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #645

Exercised my butt off today. Im tired and sore. However, I did just finish a tasty plate of bacon and eggs. Also, threw in a wheat bagel and a glass of milk for health..
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #646
Give me a forum ...

I did this and then this.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #647
Give me a forum ...

I went through withdrawal while the site was doing its Database Error act.
I enjoyed the sunshine vs *#&@ about the snow
A full moon appeared before sunset, opposite the shining sun - a rare treat.
I learned all about circumcisions here.
I cooked some homemade Oriental Beef Pepper Steak in the crockpot.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #648
Give me a forum ...

I went to water aerobics and then out to lunch with my workout friends . It was fun but probably a negative calorie event especially since everybody decided to toast the New Year . I then went home with all intentions of listing on ebay but I did the crossword and napped . Retirement is great !
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #649

Since it snowed overnight last night, and my Mom doesn't like to drive in snow anymore, I drove her to the Doc's office so we could both get our prescriptions renewed. They took care of the prescription renewals, but also wanted her to make an appointment for a check up sometime soon. So she agreed, then the nurse said "What the heck, if you have time, I'll get the Doc to see you now." So we stuck around...she saw the Doc, had a blood sample drawn, and got an overall "You're doing excellent" from Doc! Then I took her out for a late breakfast.

I hit the coffee shop a couple of times today just to shoot the bull with everyone. About 5 o'clock I went to pick up our prescription refills, and took Mom to Subway for supper. Other than that...did nada!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #650
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
W
Stopped by McD's for a "Recession Steak" and senior coffee, then home on the bus.

Ha
Hey, good one. I'll have to use that line sometime. Played golf yesterday and what a beautiful day it was. Played pretty good too. Came home, took a nap and later farted around on the internet. Went back to the club for a shrimp poboy and a few brews. Today....suppose to rain. Better take the dog for a walk before it does. Later.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #651

I've got a big pot of chili going today that I started at about 9:30 this morning. For the last few hours I've been tweaking the seasonings off and on. And we have a couple of bread bowls and some grated cheese ready, so on what is (by local standards) a rather cool afternoon, there's something ready to warm the innards.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've got a big pot of chili going today that I started at about 9:30 this morning. For the last few hours I've been tweaking the seasonings off and on. And we have a couple of bread bowls and some grated cheese ready, so on what is (by local standards) a rather cool afternoon, there's something ready to warm the innards.
With beans I assume.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #653

Ate breakfast, then went out and shoveled the 1/2" of snow that had fallen overnight. Came in, and it started snowing again. When it quit, I went out to shovel the 1/2" of snow that had fallen...again! About half way through, it started snowing a lot, so I quit and came in and watched TV and read. When the sun came out about 3pm, I went out and shoveled the additional 3/4" of snow.

Came in after that and watched some of the Monk marathon on USA Network. Started getting hungry, so I drove down to Lin Garden (my favorite local Chinese joint), and picked up some Hunan Shrimp, Pork Fried Rice, Crab Rangoon, and an Egg Roll...Yum!

Getting ready to go have a tall glass of milk and some Ghirardelli brownies we baked last night!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
With beans I assume.
Nope. That would be a sure way to get me kicked out of Texas.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #655
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
With beans I assume.
A real man doesn't put legumes in chili.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #656
Give me a forum ...

we cleared 5 inches of snow that arrived overnight.
i started and ran my midlife crisis car (2005 Mustang convertible) in the driveway . no snow or salt will ever touch my baby.
we installed the new upright freezer and transferred food over.
i took down and put away xmas decorations (i know, i know...)
i made leftover meatloaf and mashed with mushroom gravy. sometimes ya just gotta have some comfort food in the wintertime.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #657
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Roasted the last of the turkey quarters.

Tomorrow: turkey soup.

Noticed I can tell the size of the lurking hawk by noting the size of the critters that don't show at the feeders.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i took down and put away xmas decorations (i know, i know...)
I brought the boxes in from the garage, and one of these days we'll get around to taking the decorations down and putting them away....maybe do some tomorrow (between coffee runs of course), and finish up Tuesday (or not).

I went to the grocery store tonight after my coffee run (actually 1/2 decaf & 1/2 hot cocoa), and picked up a couple of packages of rib 'tiplets'....they're the cut-offs of the ribs that would normally go in the garbage....they have quite a bit of meat left on them, but it's just small pieces. Besides, they're cheap.....$1 a pound....got about 2.5 lbs.

In the morning I'll toss 'em all in the crockpot, along with 2 bottles of "Sweet Baby Ray's" BBQ sauce, and let 'em cook all day......1st 1/2 hour on 'high', then about 6-7 hours on 'low', then back on 'high' again for the last 1/2 hour. We'll also have sweet potato fries baked on a cookie sheet, and a big ol' mixed greens salad. YUM!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I brought the boxes in from the garage, and one of these days we'll get around to taking the decorations down and putting them away....maybe do some tomorrow (between coffee runs of course), and finish up Tuesday (or not).
We? Thought you live alone. An SO you are not telling us about here?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #660

I wasted a day watching the Giants lose + playing computer games. There are days I wish I were still living close to work so that I'd have a distraction-free zone to work and work out on weekends.