what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a good one, and party on! Not sure when my "day" will come, but hopefully by the time I reach "the big 5-0" it will be visible in the horizon. :)

Thanks Ziggy. There will be no partying tonight...prolly will be in bed and asleep by 8pm. We're training for a 100-mile bike race so each morning starts at 5am for a long ride or some work in the gym...

...now this weekend is another story. Have dinner reservations, show tickets to Jersey Boys and a brand new slinky dress; although my version of slinky and the average Vegas female's version of slinky is VERY different. :ROFLMAO:

Bought my annual supply of roasted Hatch (New Mexico) chiles. They go in the freezer and come out all year long - much tastier than the canned variety.

Sent out a consulting proposal for a 6-month gig (one day a week). Not sure they have the budget to go through with it...we'll see.

Exchanged the empty propane tank so I can grill the salmon I bought for dinner.

Mailed DD's birthday card - she's now old enough so I got her something adult and silly which was a lot of fun. Got first e-mail from DS who is studying in Hong Kong for the fall semester.

Battled (?) DH over where to put the printer - he wants it out of his space and so was putting it in the guest room. I do NOT want it in the guest room, so now I have 2 weeks to buy office furniture for the living room (no point in having a formal living room, might as well put the space to good use).

And now it's after 5 :)

Fixed my dishwasher. It was making the most godawful groaning noise and I thought the main pump filter was plugged, but no joy there. Turned out that the water inlet screen was plugged with tiny rust particles. The water only enters for a set amount of time and it wasn't getting enough water to keep the pump from cavitating, which was the source of the groaning noise.

I'm earnin' my keep.

The smoke was so thick this morning from the bog fire (now 2300 acres, in Bayou Sauvage over in eastern New Orleans), that my eyes stung and it was hard to breath. It was so thick and brown that it was hard to see much further than across the street. So, after lunch we drove from our homes in a western suburb of New Orleans, to Baton Rouge (about 50 miles west) just to get away from it.

Meanwhile, the mayor got together with the governor and a state of emergency was declared. The EPA said the levels of smoke were dangerous for all people, not just the young/old/sick. The National Guard was called in and started dumping water on it by air, but only 500 gallons at a time so it won't extinguish the fire. It is hoped to lessen the smoke.

Guess the wind shifted because it is less, now. My eyes still sting. If it gets that bad again, I think we will go on a spontaneous road trip for a few days.

I saw the NO smoke situation on tonight's national news. Nasty.

My eyes feel like they have cinders in them, and I think the smoke is starting to make me feel sick. (Sniff sniff!! poor me! :LOL:) If things aren't better tomorrow, we might go on a spur-of-the-moment road trip. Luckily nothing is burning but Bayou Sauvage, so no buildings have burned.

It was about as heavy as in the photo of it below (from a news website), or a little heavier - - we couldn't tell if there were even clouds in the sky until we got to Gonzales, Louisiana (almost to Baton Rouge). Turns out there were beautiful blue skies and sunshine once we got out of the plume.

Attachments

• 8-30+sheraton+2.jpg
    8-30+sheraton+2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It was about as heavy as in the photo of it below (from a news website), or a little heavier - - we couldn't tell if there were even clouds in the sky until we got to Gonzales, Louisiana (almost to Baton Rouge). Turns out there were beautiful blue skies and sunshine once we got out of the plume.

My goodness, that looks like Beijing!

My goodness, that looks like Beijing!

Wow, sounds like Beijing is a potential ER location that some of us might prefer to cross off our lists for good!

I lived in Southern California for six years, and the smog there was just annoying. This was a lot worse, to me anyway, and harder to breathe.

I just talked to F. on the phone again, and we confirmed with each other that if it is as bad tomorrow as today, we'll leave town just to play it safe. If it is lighter, like it was on Sunday and Monday, we'll stay. We aren't sure we can completely trust our local officials to tell us to leave when we should so that responsibility is ours.

Tonight the evening wind shift has taken the plume away from our location, though it is expected back in the morning. He went outside just now and said he could see the stars! I'm not as brave. :LOL:

Last edited:
We celebrated Mr B's 60th birthday today. He was saying things about feeling old all week, so I thought I would get him out and about, away from the books, and have some fun. We went to Applebee's and used a Buy 1 Entree - Get 1 Free birthday coupon for 2 steak with parmesan shrimp topping meals. Yummy!
Then I took him shopping for new sneakers and jeans at a local sports store. I told him to ignore prices (my treat) and get a good pair of footwear instead of the usual bargain junk from the store that begins with the letter W.
He settled on a nice pair of black Nikes with really good sole tread, and a pair of Levi's jeans. He was smiling after the shopping expedition. :D
He has class tonight, so I am killing time surfing and listening to music. I baked him some brownies, which he will see on the stovetop when he gets home. I'll freeze the batch so we don't eat them all up in a week. :blush:
I know this food is not exactly the healthiest fare, but it is his birthday after all. Back to behaving tomorrow...;)

We celebrated Mr B's 60th birthday today. He was saying things about feeling old all week, so I thought I would get him out and about, away from the books, and have some fun. We went to Applebee's and used a Buy 1 Entree - Get 1 Free birthday coupon for 2 steak with parmesan shrimp topping meals. Yummy!

Did you ask the waiter for the senior citizen's discount?

www.heyitsfree.com

lists a lot of birthday freebies, I'm going to have to plan my upcoming day.

The weather has been spectacular recently, sunny and cool. Yesterday we drove somewhere and read and knitted (respectively) outside:

BeachReading.jpg

62 in the living room this morning, so we'll have the first fire of the season.

Well, I was going to go for a motorcycle ride after mowing the lawn, but since it's pouring rain I'm not doing either.

So I'm here, reading articles about photography and Photoshop, and desperately trying to ignore the 42 oz. bag of peanut M&M's on the kitchen counter. (I couldn't help it. The bag jumped off the shelf and into the grocery cart by itself.)

Attachments

• M&Ms_09-01-11_4497.jpg
    M&Ms_09-01-11_4497.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
Went to the first ballgame I've attended in years. Watched the Phillies beat the Reds, and was VERY impressed with the Phillies. A great team, and I'll be very surprised if they don't end the season at the top of the league.

Great seat, but can't really take sitting in the hot sun like I used to.

It rained today, and the smoke is gone! No more air quality alerts and I can breathe. A lot of rain and flooding is predicted for the weekend, and the first 3"-5" will extinguish the fire. :D

Hope this rain gets to Texas and other drought striken states, too.

Helped DH complete some plumbing work today....mostly by staying out of his way, not asking questions and keeping my mouth shut. (only took me 34 years to learn that...)

So after....:rant:.....
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-angry032.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-angry016.gif
...was all over, I congratulated him on a job well done.

:D

Last edited:
Helped DH complete some plumbing work today....mostly by staying out of his way, not asking questions and keeping my mouth shut. (only took me 34 years to learn that...)

So after....:rant:.....
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-angry032.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-angry016.gif
...was all over, I congratulated him on a job well done.

:D

How often do you have to empty the bucket under the sink, now?....:LOL:

My son and I powerwashed the front and sides of the house, tomorrow I will do the back and the patio.

I put the 2nd coat of paint on the walls in 1 corner of my living room. Tomorrow I will remove the plastic sheeting from the fireplace, move it over, move some furniture, and do the next corner. I didn't want to disrupt the entire room, so doing small sections at a time w*rks well. I am meticulously taping off all wood trim and windows as I go. That blue painter's tape is fabulous stuff, worth every penny.

Mr B and I went shopping for food supplies we were low on. We got canned tomatoes, paste, pasta, feta cheese, tortellini. Then we hit the Amish store for cold cuts and cheese for the next month (all divvied up and in the deep freezer), and then...he hit the Wonder Bread outlet store. I stayed outside in the car.

He went crazy in that store, getting all sorts of baked goodies to munch on while he studies. Argh! :nonono: He's acting like a typical college student, spending long hours at the books and eating junk food. Martians!

Did three oil changes Wednesday and went over my 98 explorer prior to winter (needs tires and a new body) had some impromptu visitors in the afternoon. Good time. Thursday canned a bushel of tomatoes and in the afternoon worked on my TV antenna array. Picked up 28 digital stations and did some combining experiments. Still not happy with that. Wish I could find a multiple input preamp.

Jenny went skydiving (tethered to someone else) and highly recommends it:

Skydiving.jpg

Anyone else done this?

DW is a 4th grade teacher. Today I helped her get her classroom all set up for the coming year. Lots of piddly little jobs to be done at the last minute. If I'd only know as a kid how much work went in to my education.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom