Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #6761
Moderator Emeritus

I learned that of the 1 million known species of insects some 400,000 are beetles.

I also learned that I can't pronounce Whataburger.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #6762
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mostly wasted time. Tried for the first time scanning photos. This is the first attempt. Obviously need more practice and skill.

Anyhoo, here is Captain ls99 in 1984 or so.
Me1984boat.jpg

Old 01-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #6763
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today...Part II

I had a calendar reminder set to revisit my cell phone plan. Mr B has his own cell contract, expiring on May 31st. My contract expires Jan 30, 2011. Please note that fact.
We foolishly assumed (of the *SS of U and ME variety) that he faced a termination fee if we added him to my contract. WRONG!
I initially called the provider to reduce my own individual plan cost. Then I posed the question of what would happen if I added him to my account today, the day before my contract expired. Snicker....
Then I handed the phone to him. He ran circles around the rep.
Net result? I reduced my individual cell plan to less minutes, reduced my text/message limit, and then added him as line number 2 by converting to a family plan, same minutes (now shared) plus text for just me. He does not text at all. His usual habit is 5 minutes or less on the cell.
Net savings? The $49 per month fee for his separate bare bones account disappeared, with no termination fee. I reduced my monthly fee by $25, and then incurred an additional $10 for the 2nd line (his same number) with no frills by simply assuming the liability for his cell.
My calculator tells me we jointly saved -(49+25) + 10 = $64 per month today.

Never try to outsmart an accountant and an engineer in the same room on speakerphone.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #6764
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

Eh? What A Burr Grr.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #6765
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

Is that a bug or something off a fast food menu ?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #6766

Showed an apartment to a prospective tenant this morning. Complete waste of time as she revealed that she is a smoker and it's a non-smoking unit.

SO came over. We ate cheese, drank wine and watched the new episode of QI on the BBC iPlayer. For anyone who likes general knowledge panel games, I recommend this one highly. Stephen Fry is the host and does a fantastic job.

I think we're about to have some more cheese and wine.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #6767
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Mostly wasted time. Tried for the first time scanning photos. This is the first attempt. Obviously need more practice and skill.

Anyhoo, here is Captain ls99 in 1984 or so.
Attachment 11097
From your past posts, I expect you to have dark hair, along with other features. Did I misread or misunderstand something?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #6768

I spent the afternoon at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - BBQ Cookoff & Concert where my son-in-law's bbq team was one of more than 260 teams entered in the charity cookoff. He just called to inform us his team placed second in ribs and ninth in brisket. Oh, and the team that won first place in beans used his seasoning as their secret ingredient!

He was more than a little excited...

Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #6769

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
From your past posts, I expect you to have dark hair, along with other features. Did I misread or misunderstand something?
A few generations and some Sicilian, Slovak mix later the features are more central European. I still like to put on surveys: Hun. Messes them up pretty good.

Make a great Mutt.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #6770
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I spent the afternoon at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - BBQ Cookoff & Concert where my son-in-law's bbq team was one of more than 260 teams entered in the charity cookoff. He just called to inform us his team placed second in ribs and ninth in brisket. Oh, and the team that won first place in beans used his seasoning as their secret ingredient!

He was more than a little excited...
260 teams making tasty BBQ? Sounds like a great place to be a spectator!

Congratulations to your son.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #6771
Give me a forum ...

Lena ran in an organized 5.75 mile race despite having a bad cold, and came in second out of 29 in her age group!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #6772
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromboneal View Post
lena ran in an organized 5.75 mile race despite having a bad cold, and came in second out of 29 in her age group!
Thumbs Up.gif
Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #6773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Is that a bug or something off a fast food menu ?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #6774

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
260 teams making tasty BBQ? Sounds like a great place to be a spectator!
When the weather is nice as it was yesterday, it is indeed. Here is a map of the contest area (Sea World parking lot) showing all the team locations: http://www.sarodeo.com/client/media/...011allsite.pdf

The lot is half a mile wide and there were teams lining both sides of the walkways for a total of three miles. Most were giving out free samples - they don't sell any of their "products".

A real carnivore's paradise...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #6775

I'd eat way too much in the way of ribs and pulled pork. May have to add to my bucket list.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #6776

Too cold to go out (high of -10F) so spent the day doing laundry and working on repairing an old console radio.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #6777
Moderator Emeritus

We were awakened at 4 AM by the unholy racket of a gecko falling off the ceiling into a wastebasket that had a plastic-bag liner. I'm glad it was too dark to see how big he was but he practically kicked over the wastebasket as he was getting out. He sounded like Godzilla wading through the center of town.

Our 10-year-old bunny is doing fine on his diuretic (no more cardiac coughing) but he's apparently decided to get cracking on his bucket list. Over the last couple weeks when I go out onto the back lanai to make a cup of early-morning coffee, he follows me out. He's not very subtle about it, either-- nose pressed against the screen, scrambling around my ankles when I open the door, and glancing backward to see if he's in trouble as he scampers across the patio. So I spend 10-15 minutes barefoot in the freezing-cold (well, sub-70s) temperatures trying to keep him close to the lanai and watching him explore a new environment and sample all the yummy greenery. I'm eventually able to persuade him to return back indoors, but on the next cup of coffee the cycle restarts anew. I can only imagine what's going to happen if a neighborhood cat patrols by as our bunny is exploring out there.

Had a wonderful afternoon at the home show. Every photovoltaic contractor in town seemed to show up, and the PV technology is following Moore's law quite nicely in both power ratings and in pricing. We saw several nice pergolas for when we decide to set up more shade along the south side of the house. We'd planned to roof that pergola with PV panels (to have extra generation capacity for a used electric vehicle that we'll buy in the next five years or so) but it might be cheaper to just replace our existing panels with new panels that generate 3x power in the same surface area. They're almost at that point.

We found a contractor who's willing to take a look at a minor concrete lanai problem in our rental home, and another contractor who's willing to help us think through the options for our home's familyroom rehab. The home show was much more crowded than 2008-2010, so the local economy seems to be on the mend.

Everyone seemed to be wearing their Pro Bowl jerseys today...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #6778
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Ran some errands (along with everyone else in town) (ice forecast for Tuesday).
Started getting financial stuff rounded up for taxes.
Am considering maxing out HSA for '10.
Might be getting major refund with all deductible donations this year.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #6779

Showed an apartment to a prospective tenant yesterday. Turned out to be a bust as she is a smoker and it's a non-smoking unit. Aaah well.

Today - big chunks of Sicilian jack cheese, bottles of Sierra Nevada Autumn Brown Ale, and new episodes of QI and Top Gear on the BBC iPlayer to watch with the SO.

Life is good today!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #6780

This week I started to plan the construction of a small free clinic in Guatemala. It will be operational later this year (hopefully).

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Closed Thread