what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the day setting up a dome for my telescope and other astronomy equipment on the deck. Planning to build a more permanent building for the dome next spring but decided to set up on the deck for this winter, here are some pictures.

img_1113482_0_a642f788769c71b99423efd6d38bfbbb.jpg

img_1113482_1_8d90207c55fd687470b3c4bcb450c0db.jpg

img_1113482_2_4f19c009504d6e521b20be1df5c704bf.jpg

img_1113482_3_1b3c260e28dfe90201960e0a4de8ca7f.jpg

That dome is incredible! Keep us up to date on your telescoping missions.

And to think that I thought I was having a productive day building an Ipad stand and cleaning the gutters.

I went grape hunting...come out come out wherever you are. :cool:

What were 3 cute little grapevines in 2009...all produced this bounty in 2011. :dance:

We will eat most of them, and of course give some [-]they're all mine MINE[/-] away, but I may have to learn how to make grape jelly. Or perhaps get into winemaking. :flowers:

Attachments

• GrapevinesFall09.jpg
    GrapevinesFall09.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Grapevine2009.jpg
    Grapevine2009.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • grapesgalore.jpg
    grapesgalore.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
They have beer in Utah?

Often not, to my surprise. Today we now are in the more sinful Elko, Nevada. Did a high-elevation bike ride and hike in Lamoille Canyon, and I'm beat,

hike.jpg

but clean

bathing.jpg

I just updated the blog, though I'm still 4-5 days behind.

Utah Car/Bike Trip

I'm suspecting that if this is high elevations in Nevada, that water is cold enough that very little would be visible, be it water snake or trouser snake.

Getting ready for winter, we have plenty of free firewood on the property so decided to put a woodstove in the basement. Test fire this morning. Will burn a couple of small fires like this in order to get the paint burning smell out before we have to close the house up. The stove is in the basement but close to a central staircase that will conduct heat upstairs. We also look forward to nice, warm, floors on the first floor. Need to get busy gathering up some more wood!

img_1113812_0_794c06e79dcd4410375f079671b2206c.jpg

You can see that we haven't finished this area of the basement- I put up an 8' stud wall with an electric outlet for the stove blower so I wouldn't have to remove the stove completely later. All the clearances are set for the finished walls. Hopefully, we'll finish the room this winter.

Ordering a new Pacific Energy Summit model with EBT some time next week. Its a big 3.1 cu ft firebox. Can't have delivery until Late October, Hope we can still get wood then. Also need to order insulated chimney pipe for the flue that goes up the center of the house.

This is more: What did I do the last 3 weeks? Each of the last six years I've had an annual reunion with several of the guys I met in college in 1974. This year the meetup was in Chicago. I am the first of us to ER and since I had the time I decided to drive there from the San Francisco Bay Area. I haven't done a road trip is a dozen years and haven't done a solo drive like this in 35 years. I took a northern route through Glacier National Park. I took a more southerly route back through the Black Hills and Yellowstone. It was a long (6000 miles) but rewarding trip. Gave me some ideas for a road trip for when my wife ER's in a couple of years.

From an old Wolfman Jack recording: "I rocked so hard on that last song, my engineer asked if I had hydraulic lifts on the seat of my pants. He's crazy man; I ain't wearing any pants..."

Comcast internet problem solving.

Network was dog slow to non-existent.
Tried the usual reset modem, router, pc etc.. The connectivity was so bad a speedtest would not complete. Stopped alltogether halfway through.

So called comcast cust. svce. Several times. The lesson for today was that customer service depends on customer willing to complete a customer satisfaction survey.

The first call I declined the survey. The rep was so-so, no solution to the slow network problem.

The second call about 20 minutes later, signed up for the survey. The rep was most helpful, we tried all the same exercises as before. But magically "without the rep doing anything to the modem" the network speed went from near zero to 18 Mbps download and 2.3 Mbps upload. Their claimed service level is 15 Mbps download and 2.0 Mbps upload speeds.

Go figure.

Painting. Nearly five hours of it. Overhead with extension poles on stepladders.

Last week we primed the plywood sheets for both the familyroom & lanai before the contractors cut the grooves into them. (Imitation planked ceiling to match our livingroom.) We were going to prime the grooves and paint the sheets their final color before they went up into the ceiling.

But two weeks ago we had primed the ceiling beams & rafters and watched them get pretty scuffed up as they were hauled up and put in place. We knew we'd have to do the ladder work to paint the framing connectors & hurricane straps anyway. While we were debating the issue it started raining, so we decided that we'd run out of time. The contractors put up most of the ceiling on Friday and have just a few sheets left to finish both roof peaks.

So today was lots of ladder work. It turns out that an eight-foot stepladder actually does let you reach a 14-foot ceiling.

We're hoping to catch up tomorrow, and we'll also paint those last few sheets their final color.

Next week we're taking the photovoltaic array off the kitchen/livingroom roof for the contractors to add the insulation & reflective foil that's also going on the familyroom/lanai roofs. When that's finished, I'm going to put in new racks for the panels. The end result will be over 900 sq ft of south-facing roof. It can either hold our 3300 watts of used PV panels (that have paid for themselves) or 10-15 kilowatts of modern panels. At that capacity it might be worth the money to contract with HECO as a wholesale producer (paying a feed-in tariff) than to continue as a net-metering customer. I have more research and spreadsheet work to do before we make that choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom