what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the doctors office for an annual checkup, and wound up getting the Physical from Heck. Seems my BPH is losing its benign status, as verified by poking and prodding, ultrasound, a determination of 'significant retention', verified rather directly (yeowch), exciting new prescriptions, and soon a visit with the nice folks in urology to discuss... Options...

I did manage to avoid spending the weekend with a Foley catheter and thigh bag, so that's a big plus. The doc thought I had set some sort of record for retention, but was reassured by Urology that I was nowhere close. The record at that facility is something like 6 liters. Now that's bladder elasticity!

One nice side effect of the new med. "May cause significant hair growth.". ;-)

Sorry to hear of these health issues, M Paquette. I hope the outcome is as favorable as possible.

And yes, a 6 liter bladder capacity would be amazing. :)

W2R said:
Sorry to hear of these health issues, M Paquette. I hope the outcome is as favorable as possible.

I'm not worried about it. The whole thing had to be the strangest experience I've ever had for a routine checkup. That 15 minute exam went on for about 2 hours. As for the outcome, well, I've been expecting something like that for years. I was just surprised at how much work they were going through to verify my lay opinion. They did finally put me on the generic med I had asked about a few years back, which might be corrective rather than just provide symptomatic relief. Now I'll just wait and see what happens next.

Maybe, but it kinda depends on where..

It's a new look for me...
sasquatch.jpg

Just finished my first bike race. 60 miles in Fallon NV, although I will readily admit my ride looked nothing like a race!

Beautiful day + Fallon is where Top Gun fliers train. They were doing maneuvers this morning and it was fascinating to watch...almost forgot to watch the road a couple of times!

Khan said:
Turned on heating system.

I put on a cotton sweater and a scarf. It's almost time to turn on the heat. 46 degrees outside and 67 inside.

Turned on heating system.

Grandaughter complained that it is cold (it is 63 inside). So I turned the heating on with the warning that I am not going to switch back to cooling when we get the Indian Summer.

I put on a cotton sweater and a scarf. It's almost time to turn on the heat. 46 degrees outside and 67 inside.

42F outside 53F inside at 8AM

Last edited:
99% of our lanai ceiling is now a lovely shade of sky blue. Some of you (unmarried) engineers may be wondering "Why the heck did you put in a ceiling in the first place?" I'd speculate that particular question would never even be considered by a married engineer whose spouse is in charge of decor decisions like paint color.

Tomorrow we'll start on the spots we missed today, and then catch up on the places we missed on the familyroom ceiling.

We had 167 judges this year, another new high, and we evaluated about 4,000 beers, another new high.
Tomorrow I'll start for home, a relaxing two day drive.
"New high" indeed! I hope you guys had spit cups or you'll need all day today to sober up for tomorrow's drive...

I went to the doctors office for an annual checkup, and wound up getting the Physical from Heck. Seems my BPH is losing its benign status, as verified by poking and prodding, ultrasound, a determination of 'significant retention', verified rather directly (yeowch), exciting new prescriptions, and soon a visit with the nice folks in urology to discuss... Options...
I did manage to avoid spending the weekend with a Foley catheter and thigh bag, so that's a big plus. The doc thought I had set some sort of record for retention, but was reassured by Urology that I was nowhere close. The record at that facility is something like 6 liters. Now that's bladder elasticity!
One nice side effect of the new med. "May cause significant hair growth.". ;-)
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Although you probably suffered through similar retention issues on many midwatches. Especially if your engineroom's drain funnels went directly to the bilges instead of to their own retention tanks.

Is there any possibility that this is service-connected, or only age-related? Just asking.

REWahoo already asked the "Where?" question, so I'll just ask "What color?"

Nords said:
Is there any possibility that this is service-connected, or only age-related? Just asking.

REWahoo already asked the "Where?" question, so I'll just ask "What color?"

Oh, it's caused by low level exposure to ionizing radiation and Otto fuel fumes, with the symptoms only appearing decades later, after swallowing too much seawater.

Not really. It is just part of getting older. My grandfather, and my dad went through this. It's not unexpected.

Oh, it's caused by low level exposure to ionizing radiation and Otto fuel fumes, with the symptoms only appearing decades later, after swallowing too much seawater.
Not really. It is just part of getting older. My grandfather, and my dad went through this. It's not unexpected.
Well, whew. I thought it was from something unusual.

Now that most of Schofield's 25th ID is back home, I've been planning to drop by Tripler's VA clinic to get some things on record. I don't think I'll have to add this to the list...

Ran a local 5k race - placed 3rd in my age group. 1 second behind 2nd and 10 seconds behind first. Those two sneaked up and passed me in the last few hundred feet.

Last day in Denver and last day of Great American Beer Festival. I've been here for nearly a week (judging started Tuesday). We had 167 judges this year, another new high, and we evaluated about 4,000 beers, another new high.

This was the best GABF week I can remember, because the weather has been so delightful.

Tomorrow I'll start for home, a relaxing two day drive.

This is definitely on my bucket list. I want to combine it with a hike of Pikes Peak. Looks like I better do the hike first, GABF second.

Yesterday was pouring rain all day. Strangely, I was just as happy to be at "work" reading a book since if I was home I'd have been doing the same thing. Might as well get paid for it. Also read a excerpt from Confessions of a Wedding Photographer Exposed: Confessions of a Wedding ... - Claire Lewis - Google Books and will order the book if the library doesn't have it.

We are slowing getting geared up for a trip to NY state next week for a wedding. This is apparently going to be one of those "no expense spared" shindigs and if past experience is a guide that does not bode well for the marriage. Hope I'm mistaken. But the bride is Bridezilla. Or maybe it's just the parents.

In any event it promises to be a fun time for all with many memories. Whether anyone will want to remember remains to be seen.

I bet that was good!

Yesterday I rode north and met a good friend who is finishing up a bike tour down the coast, and we rode together. My bike weighs 22 pounds, his loaded bike weighs 90 pounds. When I lifted it, it was so heavy I thought it was stuck on something. We both did about 55 miles.

We got caught in a downburst, and I missed a rainbow money shot by about three seconds.

RideWithGaryDryLagoonHill.jpgRideWithGaryInRain.jpg

Wow, what a busy few days I've had. Today is definitely chill out at home day.

I did Friday night table bussing for 4 hours as usual, then Saturday all day/evening kitchen duty assisting a German lady making a traditional Oktoberfest meal for 80+. I learned how to make apple streudel from scratch by watching, and put together the German potato salad all by myself under her direction. I managed to take a break to eat, then it was right back to kitchen duty.
A crew of 5 did cleanup duty. I took the easy j*b :LOL: and washed the large pots and pans by hand. Everyone else filled/emptied the dish sanitizer, wiped countertops and stove, hand dried dishes, utensils and silverware, and stored them back in the cabinets and drawers. I suggested that they purchase a small tabletop fan or two to take over the manual drying process. The idea was well received. :D

I was very worn out on Sunday. I relaxed for half the day, then mowed the back forty in advance of rain showers.

I am feeling more fit and trim with a much higher energy level from these very physical volunteer duties. I am getting excellent group social contact while Mr B studies.
The free "thank you" beers and meals are nice too. :cool:

Last edited:
I am feeling more fit and trim with a much higher energy level from these very physical volunteer duties. I am getting excellent group social contact while Mr B studies.
The free "thank you" beers and meals are nice too. :cool:

Cleaning and cooking is SO much more fun when done as a volunteer and with a social group!

Oh, and free thank you beers? I almost missed that. Sign me up! ;-)

Yesterday we went to my SO's granddaughter's birthday party . Twenty squealing little girls . My present "An easy bake oven " got rave reviews from the little girls and their Moms.

Dawn patrol: 8-10 feet at the very end of the south shore season. I will be back for more [-]as soon as my muscles recover[/-] on Thursday.

Today our renovation contractors were adding insulation & reflective foil panels on top of the livingroom roof to get ready for putting a new roof on top of that. The process started by nailing furring strips (on top of the old shingles) through the ceiling rafters. Unfortunately they didn't realize that one of the livingroom's ceiling rafters is warped, and they missed it. They air-gunned five nails through the ceiling before they realized the nails were going in too easy... and then it started to rain.

Our nine windows and the 8'x8' lanai sliding glass door arrived from Home Depot today-- about a month early. Unfortunately the frame did not accompany the lanai door. But there's plenty of other work for everyone while we straighten out that invoice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom