what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, ended up replacing a hard drive in my DTVPal OTA DVR. Now the DVR records 4 times as much as before :D. The other day, bought and set up a DVD recorder so I can archive recorded shows worth keeping from DVR to DVD.

Cleaning and cooking is SO much more fun when done as a volunteer and with a social group!

Oh, and free thank you beers? I almost missed that. Sign me up! ;-)
Deal! Friday is table bussing day, so come on up in spirit. :cool:

Many people attend these clubs just to get out and party. I can't stand to sit still very long, so it is a good way to burn up some restless energy.

I FINALLY applied the second coat of paint in my living room corner. The metal baseboard heater covers are spray painted and drying out in the front yard in nice bright sunshine. The next segment will be painting around the picture window, very little wall to cover but lots of painstaking detail, and constant up and down on the stepstool.

I've been waiting for the gardening items to go on sale at end of season. I liked the price, so I ordered a neat little miniature greenhouse unit and 3 grow lights today.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VB6KXU

I will be growing spinach and green onions indoors, and perhaps some sweet Cubanelle peppers. My oregano and basil is still alive, so it will come indoors also. Who says I can't garden in the winter? ;)

Last edited:
Trying to catch up on some paperwork since I've been out of town for a couple of weeks. Hopefully I can catch up on my sleep the next couple of days.

I went to MO to be with my parents as momma had to be put in the hospital. Fortunately after just three days they were able to release her back in the nursing home. I stayed with daddy and gave him a break by visiting momma at the nursing home and feeding her. I also cleaned his house and decluttered a couple of rooms.

For now the best we can do is ensure momma is comfortable.

It's been a challenging year to say the least.

However, I'm still able to smile.... I took a pic of this photograph that hangs on the wall at my parent's house. It's my favorite photo of my momma (taken in 1958). ...and yes, she's holding me. :)

Attachments

• DSC02658.jpg
    DSC02658.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 6
Yesterday we went to my SO's granddaughter's birthday party . Twenty squealing little girls . My present "An easy bake oven " got rave reviews from the little girls and their Moms.
Great choice. My granddaughter has one of these too, and loves it.

Trying to catch up on some paperwork since I've been out of town for a couple of weeks. Hopefully I can catch up on my sleep the next couple of days.

I went to MO to be with my parents as momma had to be put in the hospital. Fortunately after just three days they were able to release her back in the nursing home. I stayed with daddy and gave him a break by visiting momma at the nursing home and feeding her. I also cleaned his house and decluttered a couple of rooms.

For now the best we can do is ensure momma is comfortable.

It's been a challenging year to say the least.

However, I'm still able to smile.... I took a pic of this photograph that hangs on the wall at my parent's house. It's my favorite photo of my momma (taken in 1958). ...and yes, she's holding me. :)

Awwwh, how sweet! So sorry to hear about your challenging past couple of weeks (and of course year!). I'm sure your momma was comforted by your presence. Love from family is the best medicine!!!

I've completely rearranged the office allocations, ticked off several dozen people, eliminated a position, acted as a mediator between 2 warring co-workers, and re-vamped our Stores department and in-house security systems.

Then I had sushi.

Chaos....panic....disorder. My work here is done.

Nui

Busy couple of days. Yesterday went to my cousins and we played construction worker. Then last night went to an all you can eat roast beef dinner followed by a turkey raffle. Thanksgiving is this weekend in Canada. This morning ran another cousins daughter to school and then went to early farmers market. Drove to London (about an hour and a half) for the retirement luncheon of a good friend. He turned 55 last august. Couple of stops on the way home and chilling till about 8 when I go pick up my cousins daughter from dance. (At 16 she is the instructor for the younger classes) Add in solving a couple of computer problems and I have had a productive couple of retired days.

Farmers Market
Laundry
Still trying to figure out smart phone (is smarter than I am).

Went for a two-hour motorcycle ride while doing some errands, then took the camera bag to a local park. Tried to capture serenity in a photo.

Attachments

• Creek-water_10-05_5000.jpg
    Creek-water_10-05_5000.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 7
We had our first hard frost last night. I am starting to tackle the winter prep checklist - I called to schedule the annual cleaning and checkout of furnace and hot water heater flushout, called my snowplowing guy, starting to put away garden hoses and outdoor items, etc etc. Leaves are just starting to drop off my maple and oak trees, so I chop the dried maple leaves up as needed with the lawn tractor. I'm going to use my self propel mower with the bagger attachment to "vacuum up" the oak leaves. So much easier than raking. :D

I love your photo, Walt! In my mind I'm sitting there on one of the rocks enjoying the sounds of the river.

Today was two hours at the gym: Latin fusion dance, followed by yoga-pilates.

Tonight there is a lecture by the author who won the Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction for The Emperor of Maladies (about cancer). Dave Ramsey is signing books nearby too, but I'll skip that.

The move went smoothly and the phone company was on time to install the phone/internet/cable TV package. Now I just have to unpack a whole LOT of boxes.

Did you have to go to a doctor first?

Yes, I did. My doctor's office put my name on a waiting list. I had to wait about a month before they called me. I did see my doctor and asked about the vaccine, but only because I was at a regularly scheduled appointment when I asked. You probably could just call you doctor's office and ask for the vaccine without a real doctor's appointment. A nurse will probably give you the shot without even seeing the doctor after they get you down for wanting the shot. Well...maybe that's not quite right...a doc would need to write the order for the shot...hmmm Call and see what they say?

Last edited:
I got my regular flu shot yesterday, and boy is my arm sore.

The person at the pharmacy said that "everyone in her family had the flu," which is total baloney, since there have been no outbreaks of flu yet.

Around here, they use the word "flu" to mean "very sick."

Last edited:
Did you have to go to a doctor first?

Here in Michigan you can get one at a drug store without a prescription. In order for my health insurance to pay for it, I'd have to be 65 yo and have a doc administer the shot.

I got my regular flu shot yesterday, and boy is my arm sore.

The person at the pharmacy said that "everyone in her family had the flu," which is total baloney, since there have been no outbreaks of flu yet.

Around here, they use the word "flu" to mean "very sick."

Maybe they had the "whiskey flu"...

Mr B is taking a midterm exam online, so we must vewy vewy quiet today. Ssssshhhhh :cool:

Just killing time today until I go to do table bussing at the dinner club. Mr B and another member have been recruited to sell raffle tickets to the dinner crowd. They sold over $200 last week just by approaching tables.

I weighed myself this morning and was very pleased to see the numbers 179. :dance:

I am planning a garlic, pumpkin and Indian corn hunting expedition on Sunday with a new "activity partner" friend. The Mustang is way overdue for a spin. We've had a lot of rain lately. Rain is a real mood killer for a convertible ride. :(

I was at the doctor on Monday and got both the flu and pneumonia vaccines. One in each arm. Didn't hurt at the time but 4 days later I'm still sore, like I got punched or ran into something.

Our insurance covers the shingles vaccine at 100% for age 50 and over if given at a doctor's office so I asked about getting that one, too. My doctor told me that they don't have the proper refrigerated storage at their office, it has to be kept colder than normal refrigeration, but that I could pick it up at a pharmacy and bring it in. That sounds a little odd to me. Our insurance won't pay for it if given at a pharmacy, it would have to go through our prescription plan and we have a $550 deductible and then 35% copay on prescriptions. The doctor said she'd ask her administrator how to handle this. I'm not in a hurry for the shingles vaccine but I do want to move ahead on it so I'll see what they come up with.

I'm in Ohio where I think you need a prescription for the shingles vaccine. Many pharmacies advertise that they have it available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom