what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW has the same thing!!!! Never (or so it seems) closes cabinet doors, never putting the cap in the toothpaste tube (and wondering why it gets dried out), never tightening caps on jars, etc. I think you are onto something with the notion of "closing disorder".

My exDH was like that and always blamed me (his mother always did all that stuff).

Holy cow, where did the weekend go.

Oh, that's right, we put our daughter on the plane back to college on Friday night, and we've been enjoying our empty-nester lifestyle again! Lots of things to catch up on. E-mail too.

Good news about "The Military Guide", too. I need to make some phone calls to confirm some details, but I'll probably have the post up on Wednesday.

I also went to the bank to inventory my safe deposit box. I recently realized that I could not remember what was in it. This time, I prepared a written inventory. I would recommend the exercise.
If it's so forgettable, does it make you wonder why you keep it safe in the deposit box?

As a guy who's spent some time trying to figure out if Dad still has a safe deposit box, I highly endorse filing an inventory copy somewhere that someday your conservator or executor can find...

Just another uneventful day of retirement..... :D

Slept very late, and the spent a happy and busy afternoon with F. We had lunch, then took a long pleasure drive through some really obscure streets where I got temporarily lost over and over, chatting all the while and enjoying the delightful weather, then hung out at his house for a while (more happy chatting and fun), and stopped by the gas station and grocery store together.

Came home, did laundry, and browsed a bazillion Kindle books at my library. Finally chose one that looks intriguing and downloaded it.

Afterwards I spent over an hour deciding that it would be such fun to knit another afghan, selected the yarn from at least 34509876 different types, textures, and colors available (picked a beautiful one!), and also knitting needles, figured out how many skeins I would need, was ready to buy, when I realized that realistically I will NEVER have the time to start a knitting project right now! Life is so full. Actually, that is a good thing. I'll put it on the back burner for now, and maybe do it some time later.

Here it is, 12:35 in the morning, and I still haven't played my video game or started that Kindle book. Time flies when you're having fun.

You do realize that people that work do what you did in your post, typically(?). I watch you-tube to do things that I wanted to do today but didn't (left intentionally obique, although I must say, sadly there is no sexual undercurrent). Unfortunately my good friend broke his nose surfing, so maybe he won't be back quite as quick as you, but maybe he will since you are old... I'm just wondering if this board really applies to me at all. It has taken a while - and I enjoy Ha's comments, since there is some observation and not just bland self-congratulation...
Not sure who your post is in response to, but it certainly comes across as rude...

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Wow, sorry that I disappointed you, Sambuca. :eek: Before I retired, my daily life was much different because I had to work. YMMV

Last edited:
You do realize that people that work do what you did in your post, typically(?). I watch you-tube to do things that I wanted to do today but didn't (left intentionally obique, although I must say, sadly there is no sexual undercurrent). Unfortunately my good friend broke his nose surfing, so maybe he won't be back quite as quick as you, but maybe he will since you are old... I'm just wondering if this board really applies to me at all. It has taken a while - and I enjoy Ha's comments, since there is some observation and not just bland self-congratulation...
With an attitude like that, you are definitely not a good fit for this forum.

I can't figure what in the world this means. Coherency lost.

Unfortunately my good friend broke his nose surfing, so maybe he won't be back quite as quick as you, but maybe he will ...
Hopefully next time he'll be surfing with a longboard instead of his nose...

I had a bunch of random errands to run, and since this is Monday, I figured I'd do them while the stores were empty. Now, some of us live in areas where we appear to be skipping winter and moving straight into spring. I know I do. My spring bulbs are all coming up already.

Anywho, I rolled the convertible out of the garage today, for my errand driving. Top down, in January. Wheee!

I figure that this will upset the weather deities, and bring us our much needed rain and snow, or at least upset some of our crankier working visitors. Ah, empty streets and no crowds in the stores! Excellent errand running conditions... :)

On my bike ride I discovered that some lazy person had thrown his tree on the side of the road. He didn't even remove the stand. Since our stand broke this year, I removed it, dismantled it and stuffed the parts in different pockets and my pants. If I'd crashed, the docs would wonder how I'd impaled myself on a Christmas tree stand.

On my bike ride I discovered that some lazy person had thrown his tree on the side of the road. He didn't even remove the stand. Since our stand broke this year, I removed it, dismantled it and stuffed the parts in different pockets and my pants. If I'd crashed, the docs would wonder how I'd impaled myself on a Christmas tree stand.
It's surprising what people throw away. There are a lot of apartment buildings in my general area and, usually near the end of each month, a few people are moving in a hurry, with the inevitable pile of things they don't need left out on the sidewalk. I got a nice bed frame, CD rack and desk for my SO this way. They were all free and all in good condition.

A biology student (presumably) had also left a quite sizable collection of frogs in sealed plastic bags out on the sidewalk. I passed on those.

Attended the second of six AARP tax review classes which are required to volunteer with them during tax season (starts Feb 1). This weekend I completed the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced tests and passed them so now I'm qualified to volunteer. The classes are still required to practice doing returns and get familiar with the software.

Deposited a royalty check and drafted the cover letters for the donations to two military charities.

More details tomorrow, both on the forum and on the blog. But let's just say that Amazon.com hugely underestimates the book sales that they track on their Author Central site.

At least three of my old XOs will spew beverages on their monitors when they read about it, thinking:
"He can write!? How come that never happened when he worked for me?!?"
"People actually pay to read what he wrote?!?!"

Sunday night I won an auction and will be getting my Woody Woodpecker talking hand puppet by the end of this week. :dance:

Woody is in Gary, Indiana today.

Attachments

• woody.JPG
    woody.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 5
Why am I embarrassed to ask how you will use it?

Woody Woodpecker -- is that code?

Sunday night I won an auction and will be getting my Woody Woodpecker talking hand puppet by the end of this week. :dance:

Woody is in Gary, Indiana today.
So that's exactly like the one your mom gave you as a small child as I recall? Very cool. Lots of sweet memories. :flowers:

Well...I must confess in true bbbamI fashion 'Woody' would normally be a slow pitch.....;)

So that's exactly like the one your mom gave you as a small child as I recall? Very cool. Lots of sweet memories. :flowers:
Yes...you're right darlin'. :-* Sweet memories of days gone by....

I had five young hunks in my backyard today. Unfortunately they left their shirts on but with such nice weather they were down to t-shirts.:blush: Having my flower border reduced in size since I'm not getting any younger.

Made the decision to [-]cut the cord[/-] break the dish and cancel our satellite TV subscription. DW and I looked at what we watched and realized we could get most, but not all of it via over the air antenna (already in place) or streaming over the net. I calculated we'd have to upgrade the internet service to be able to stream what we wanted, but we could pay for the added internet cost three times over from our no satellite savings.

When I called to cancel - and insisted to Directv that this customer of 13+ years was really, actually, sincerely cancelling, they found a "select" package containing the channels we wanted with a price $12.50/mo less than we are currently paying. When I said no thanks, please cancel my account, I was offered a $10/mo discount In addition to a $10/mo discount I'm already getting. The net of all the discounts and the new select results in a total savings of $24/mo when you figure in tax (currently paying a total of $63/mo).

No contract, no commitment, so I said I'd give it a try. First time they try to raise prices on me, I'm gone. And this time I really mean it... :)

Last edited:
Went downhill skiing with DW. Conditions were good albeit limited trails open. Felt much better today than a few weeks ago as conditions were better.

Stopped and bought a couple smart power strips on the way home for the upstairs TV/DVR/DVD, etc and downstairs TV/DVD/Wii, etc. Have been analyzing various loads using a kill-a-watt type meter and am trying to reduce the power bill.

net of all the discounts and the new select results in a total savings of $24/mo when you figure in tax (currently paying a total of $63/mo).

No contract, no commitment, so I said I'd give it a try. First time they try to raise prices on me, I'm gone. And this time I really mean it... :)

Great deal, REWahoo! :dance: That's a huge savings and will pile up, month after month.

As for me, I had another one of those uneventful but delightful days of retirement, though I'm sure excruciatingly boring to some. I'm apparently as old as Methuselah so I will spare everyone the dreadful details.... ;)

Anyway, lots of fun and I'm getting rid of my cold (oh, darn, another one of those things that working people do too! When will I ever learn).

Last edited:
Made the decision to [-]cut the cord[/-] break the dish and cancel our satellite TV subscription. DW and I looked at what we watched and realized we could get most, but not all of it via over the air antenna (already in place) or streaming over the net. I calculated we'd have to upgrade the internet service to be able to stream what we wanted, but we could pay for the added internet cost three times over from our no satellite savings.

When I called to cancel - and insisted to Directv that this customer of 13+ years was really, actually, sincerely cancelling, they found a "select" package containing the channels we wanted with a price $12.50/mo less than we are currently paying. When I said no thanks, please cancel my account, I was offered a $10/mo discount In addition to a $10/mo discount I'm already getting. The net of all the discounts and the new select results in a total savings of $24/mo when you figure in tax (currently paying a total of $63/mo).

ReWahoo, I had the same experience when I tried to cancel Sirius XM radio last spring. When I said I wanted to cancel, they transferred me to someone who's job was to prevent me from canceling at all cost. The bottom line was that I renewed again for another year but at 1/2 the cost that I had been billed for. Can you believe that? I will call to cancel again this spring because I really do want to cancel but if they cut my bill in half again, I'll just renew. If not, then adios XM radio.
So for those of you who have XM, don't renew when you get your bill. Call to cancel and you just might be pleased that you did.

I had five young hunks in my backyard today. Unfortunately they left their shirts on but with such nice weather they were down to t-shirts.:blush: Having my flower border reduced in size since I'm not getting any younger.
Well now...:cool:

What were we talking about? :blink:

oh...flower border...yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom