Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #7861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
... Quite a surprise for my MIL (84 years old) to have a visitor on such short notice but I think she was pleased.
I'll bet she was pleased. My 82 y.o. MIL loves when we (or any relative) pops in. And my grandmother used to love it when I stopped in. Funny thing was that she always had a roast or fried chicken ready to cook whenever I stopped in.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #7862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a list of things to do outside today, but it is 85F and very humid outside. I am experiencing almost continuous hot flashes these days.
My little AC unit has the living room at a nice comfy 76F.

Hmmm...what shall I do ?

The last thing I want to do in this heat is fill my sprayer and coat my boat cover with water repellent.

I'll save that task for later this evening or first thing tomorrow AM when it is cooler.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #7863
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I had a list of things to do outside today, but it is 85F and very humid outside.
85? .....it's 103 here.

Finally put the finishing touches (paint) on one wall of my sun room. The rate I'm going I might be finished by Thanksgiving....
Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #7864
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
85? .....it's 103 here.

Finally put the finishing touches (paint) on one wall of my sun room. The rate I'm going I might be finished by Thanksgiving....
85F + hot flashes = 103F

It's the new math.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #7865
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
85? .....it's 103 here.

103 and it's not even July?? Good luck to you people down there.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #7866
Administrator

Our temperatures in New Orleans aren't as hot as bbbamI's right now, but still we have had record heat for each of the past three days. It feels quite oppressive out there!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #7867
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to Goodwill Store to drop off electronics devices (tape players, CD player, PhotoCD player). I then checked out their stores and I was surprised what they are selling and how low the prices are.

I bought a new shaver, a TI-83+ Silver Edition calculator and a universal learning remote control for $2.99 each.

While shopping, I saw them put the items that I donated on the shelves and they were priced at $1.99 to $4.99.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #7868
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Packed for our trip and DH and I bought new hiking shoes and socks. I guess I should pack some band-aids since we will be breaking them in on our trip. Booked us a rental car for our trip. We are renting it in Las Vegas and dropping it off in San Diego. I am already not looking forward to flying to Las Vegas. I hope that our plane does not get delayed. Just remembered that I need to check-in to Continental. Better do that now.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #7869

Got back from our 12 day trip to Alaska late Tuesday night. Have been recovering (so tired!) ever since, LOL. It was absolutely fantastic. We did a northbound cruise for 7 nights, then went to Denali for a few days.

Highlights of the trip were seeing humpback whales up close, Mendenhall Glacier, a pod of orcas including momma and baby, glacier calving, SEVEN bears in Denali (including a momma with 2 cubs playing and rolling down the hill, just a few feet from our bus), and lots of moose with their calves.

Fantastic trip!

Also enjoying the container garden I started a few months ago. We have been harvesting cucumbers, tomatoes, and green beans. Our thai basil has been going wild, and I recently found a great recipe for asian basil pesto - having some tonight - YUMMY!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alaska! 194.jpg (626.8 KB, 21 views)

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
Old 06-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #7870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
103 and it's not even July?? Good luck to you people down there.
Thanks...we need it.

It's been windy as well. Gusts up to 30 mph with 100+ degrees temp is brutal. Like a friend of mine said, 'It's like being assaulted with a huge hair dryer.'
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #7871
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back simple girl! I'm tickled y'all had such a wonderful time!

Hmmmmm.....looks like y'all have a parka built for two....
Old 06-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #7872
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Friend was here last weekend.
Today did weeding and planting.
Had a kitten hanging around for a while, but she's been gone for a while.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #7873
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I bought a new shaver, a TI-83+ Silver Edition calculator and a universal learning remote control for $2.99 each.
Is that TI-83 the same model of calculator that every high school student in America ends up buying for their math classes? The numbers sound familiar but I don't know if it's precisely the right model.

Well, maybe it is: hawaii all for sale / wanted classifieds "TI-83" - craigslist

I'm seeing prices in the $40-$90 range. You might have yourself a little bit of calculator arbitrage going there...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #7874
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is that TI-83 the same model of calculator that every high school student in America ends up buying for their math classes? The numbers sound familiar but I don't know if it's precisely the right model.

Well, maybe it is: hawaii all for sale / wanted classifieds "TI-83" - craigslist

I'm seeing prices in the $40-$90 range. You might have yourself a little bit of calculator arbitrage going there...

It is exactly the same as this:
TI-83 Plus Graphing Calc

Just put in fresh batteries and it works.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #7875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Al - it looks like you may have planked in a patch of poison ivy. I think I see 3 leaved plants in your pic.
As an expert (ie. highly allergic) in poison ivy, fyi that is not poison ivy. Those are three lobed single leaves, as opposed to a truly three leaved plant. Here's poison ivy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poison-ivy.jpg (25.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #7876
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Got back from our 12 day trip to Alaska late Tuesday night. Have been recovering (so tired!) ever since, LOL. It was absolutely fantastic. We did a northbound cruise for 7 nights, then went to Denali for a few days.

Fantastic trip!

Glad you had a great trip ! We were also exhausted for a week after the trip but so worth it .
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #7877

Today:

Movies with DW (Green Lantern)
Mexican Food at favorite restaurant (beef fajitas)
Went for a short drive, and drove thru the auto car wash
Strawberry shake at Sonic
Home
Watched Black Swan on DVD
Going to bed in approx. 30 mins.
The End!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 06-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #7878
Give me a forum ...

It has been a good day.

Had my hair cut and coloured for the first time in my new home: I took a friend's recommendation and went to a salon/beauty shop at a little town on the lake only 10 minutes away:

District of Peachland - Welcome.

Not only is the setting beautiful but I hit it off right away with my new stylist...a guy. Usually I prefer to have my hair cut by a woman as they tend to listen more closely to what I ask for, but this stylist got it exactly right and was very personable. And he is not gay!

I spent the afternoon continuing the unpacking and organizing odyssey: today's focus was on selecting what goes in the storage locker and putting it there. Apart from the big pile of flattened cardboard boxes in the living room, things are looking more civilized by the day! I called the moving company to arrange pickup of the boxes early next week. I discovered that I have enough personal and family photographs to fill two 4 cu. ft. boxes! And none of them are from the past 5 years, when I have taken literally thousands of digital pictures. But they are all worth keeping and reminiscing over when time permits.

Having skipped lunch, I stopped at 6 pm, made a healthy salad, and sat out on the balcony enjoying the relatively cool evening for the past 2 hours. I finished "The Game" by Jack London, on my Kindle ($0) and I recommend it highly.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #7879
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Not only is the setting beautiful but I hit it off right away with my new stylist...a guy. Usually I prefer to have my hair cut by a woman as they tend to listen more closely to what I ask for, but this stylist got it exactly right and was very personable. And he is not gay!
I used to go to a hairdresser in New Jersey who was gay . I would say I want a perm & he would say no . I would say I want this color and he would say I don't think so . He was a hoot and thinking about it my hair looked the best when he was cutting & coloring it .
Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #7880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

You guys looking so hot you be melting that glacier!

Just sold Lena's old bike for $270 -- I have really good luck with craigslist. Perhaps the key is putting big beautiful pictures (not the small attached type) with nice ad copy. Anyway, the guy who bought it is really nice, and really psyched about the bike.