Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #7901
Recycles dryer sheets
Avalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It 's amazing how these little creatures can wrap you around their fingers .
Isn't that the truth? I'm already so wrapped I'm being called the official spoiler.
Have a safe trip and enjoy your grandson.
__________________

__________________

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #7902
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 578
Started removing the wallpaper in the bathroom before we paint it.
Not done yet - probably another 2 days. They should outlaw wallpapers and save trees.
__________________

KingB is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #7903
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Started removing the wallpaper in the bathroom before we paint it.
Not done yet - probably another 2 days. They should outlaw wallpapers and save trees.
If you haven't tried a steamer, it is worth it. You can rent them cheaply at Home Depot.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #7904
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,718
Late this afternoon, I attended the funeral of a good friend's Dad. He had heart trouble and was in the hospital trying to get a little stronger before having surgery, but didn't make it. During his ordeal, the man's wife(my friend's mom) had chest pains and had a triple bypass. She got a pass to leave the hospital to attend the funeral and looked fine there, but was obviously upset. Just got a call that as soon as they took her back to the hospital tonight, she died.

Man, I feel sorry for the family. Lose both parents within a couple of days of each other. What a day.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #7905
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 40,177
Oh Dawg. I am so very sorry. That's more than one family should ever have to bear. Your friend really needs a comforting friend like you right now.
__________________
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
W2R is online now  
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #7906
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Late this afternoon, I attended the funeral of a good friend's Dad. He had heart trouble and was in the hospital trying to get a little stronger before having surgery, but didn't make it. During his ordeal, the man's wife(my friend's mom) had chest pains and had a triple bypass. She got a pass to leave the hospital to attend the funeral and looked fine there, but was obviously upset. Just got a call that as soon as they took her back to the hospital tonight, she died.

Man, I feel sorry for the family. Lose both parents within a couple of days of each other. What a day.
What a sad day, Dawg .

I hope your own mother continues to feel better.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #7907
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fireup2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Isn't that the truth? I'm already so wrapped I'm being called the official spoiler.
Have a safe trip and enjoy your grandson.
My parents used to call Mom's parents "The Spoilers" - I would eagerly run out to meet them when they drove up the driveway at 10 am on Tuesday mornings squealing, "The Spoilers are here! The Spoilers are here!" Took me years to put two and two together - I just thought that was there name! LOL
__________________
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #7908
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,407
Just got back from a two-day anniversary trip to Southern Oregon (Brookings). Wonderful hike yesterday -- perhaps I'll do a thread with more photos. Here's a preview:

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #7909
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 43,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just got back from a two-day anniversary trip...
I didn't realize you and Lena were newlyweds...
__________________
Numbers is hard

Although rare, it is possible to read something on this forum you don't agree with and simply move on with your life

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #7910
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just got back from a two-day anniversary trip to Southern Oregon (Brookings). Wonderful hike yesterday -- perhaps I'll do a thread with more photos. Here's a preview:

Very nice.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #7911
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I didn't realize you and Lena were newlyweds...
Once, on the phone, I meant to tell my friend that Lena was three months pregnant. By mistake I said "Three minutes pregnant." He said "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #7912
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 40,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Once, on the phone, I meant to tell my friend that Lena was three months pregnant. By mistake I said "Three minutes pregnant." He said "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."
ROFL! I am laughing so hard I had to wipe the tears out of my eyes.
__________________
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
W2R is online now  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #7913
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Once, on the phone, I meant to tell my friend that Lena was three months pregnant. By mistake I said "Three minutes pregnant." He said "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."
Why Al, you were very confident in the abilities of your sperm, weren't you?
Meadbh is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #7914
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I bought a great used 4 drawer file cabinet on sale for $69, on sale at a furniture rental place. They even loaded it into the back of the Murano for us.
Not to make you jealous (after all, you DID get a good buy) but our town dump - oops, transfer station - has an exchange area where 2 and 4 drawer file cabinets are frequently available for the taking. I've gotten several there over the years. If you see one with a few scratches or dents that you don't like, you just wait until a better one comes along.

And, oh yeah, my wife's DD is a Murano - an 04 SE with 91K miles - that we LOVE. Hope you're having the same great experiences with your Mo that we are having with ours, W2!
nafddur1 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #7915
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 40,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Not to make you jealous (after all, you DID get a good buy) but our town dump - oops, transfer station - has an exchange area where 2 and 4 drawer file cabinets are frequently available for the taking. I've gotten several there over the years. If you see one with a few scratches or dents that you don't like, you just wait until a better one comes along.
Ooooh, but I AM jealous! What a fantastic place to scavenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1
And, oh yeah, my wife's DD is a Murano - an 04 SE with 91K miles - that we LOVE. Hope you're having the same great experiences with your Mo that we are having with ours, W2!
The Murano is Frank's, and he loves it. It's a 2003 SL and he has put close to 200,000 miles on it. He hit a pair of deer almost head-on with it a few years ago and found out that the Murano is really solid - - didn't need as much repair as one might expect and it was still drivable until it could be repaired. I love the air conditioning in it - - it's very effective. And, I love the style of it and the luxuries. Despite being a 2003, it still seems new and pretty.
__________________
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
W2R is online now  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #7916
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
And the Olympic gold medal for freestyle swimming goes to...



I watched it rain off and on, all day today.
I caught up on laundry folding and helped Mr B scrounge up office supplies from what was on hand in the house. Basic supplies are needed for his upcoming Boys' State assistant counselor adventure. I am already planning projects for my week to make sure I don't get bored or lonely. I have a list of indoor/outdoor things that need to be done, none of which are urgent. La de daaaaaa...FIRE life is good.
The Legion and VFW guys said to come down and hang out with them as usual. One guy even joked he was looking forward to having me all to himself, speaking loudly on purpose so Mr B could hear him.

Off we go to a fundrasier burger/hot dog cookout. Thank God for covered pavilions.
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #7917
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The Murano is Frank's, and he loves it. It's a 2003 SL and he has put close to 200,000 miles on it. He hit a pair of deer almost head-on with it a few years ago and found out that the Murano is really solid - - didn't need as much repair as one might expect and it was still drivable until it could be repaired.
Wow, I'm really impressed. I'm a regular on Nissan Murano.org, and you're the first one I've heard of going 200K so far. And I have heard other stories confirming the safety of those cars. It sounds like you really take care of yours. I DO have 218K on my 95 Maxima (bought new 9/94), however.

Oh, and to not jack this thread, I clay barred our Murano today (actually, a few weeks ago)! That really helps keep any car looking new.

As for our dump, I've found some amazing things there - like 2 different sets of Boston Acoustics speakers that, after some woofer refoaming, work fantastic, and lots of sort-of high end (like Nikko and Technics) tape decks, receivers and tuners. My grandkids are still using the Razor off road bike and pocket rocket (road bike) I got at the dump. Each one worked perfectly and only needed a little cleaning to look like new.
nafddur1 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #7918
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,636
Day #2 of 2 at the tenants. I went mucking in the mud with the reciprocating saw and managed to remove the last of the ixora roots without accidentally removing any sprinkler piping. Spouse even put a new coat of Extend anti-rust paint on the freshly-exposed window bars.

Now the tenant can clean out the patch of soil and replant it with hapu'u & raphis.

Google's Streetview vehicle passed in front of the place while we were working. I wonder how long it takes for them to process the imagery and get it up on the Maps website.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #7919
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 40,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Wow, I'm really impressed. I'm a regular on Nissan Murano.org, and you're the first one I've heard of going 200K so far. And I have heard other stories confirming the safety of those cars. It sounds like you really take care of yours. I DO have 218K on my 95 Maxima (bought new 9/94), however.

Oh, and to not jack this thread, I clay barred our Murano today (actually, a few weeks ago)! That really helps keep any car looking new.

As for our dump, I've found some amazing things there - like 2 different sets of Boston Acoustics speakers that, after some woofer refoaming, work fantastic, and lots of sort-of high end (like Nikko and Technics) tape decks, receivers and tuners. My grandkids are still using the Razor off road bike and pocket rocket (road bike) I got at the dump. Each one worked perfectly and only needed a little cleaning to look like new.
He still takes it to the dealer for maintenance very conscientiously, and has them check it over now and then, but considering the mileage on it he hasn't had many other repairs. He is hoping to drive it another 50,000-100,000 miles at least. He hasn't really waxed it or done much, but the finish still looks pretty nice and we still get waves from other Murano owners.

In the unlikely event that I ever get to Duxbury, I'll consider the dump to be Tourist Attraction #1, for me.
__________________
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
W2R is online now  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #7920
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 43,371
I picked up my new truck (2,800 miles on the odometer) from dealer service department today after having a part replaced due to a second a 'check engine' light. The first problem involved replacing the ignition interlock and this time they replaced the catalytic converter. Ten miles after leaving the service bay, the light came on again. I took it back and they cleared the code, test drove it, checked the connections on the work they'd done but couldn't reproduce the problem (temp sensor in the exhaust system). I drove it home without incident. Nothing so far that has affected how the truck runs, but the recurring trips to the dealer have become a real PITA.

I've lost count of the different cars I've owned over the years and have been fortunate to have never owned a lemon. Sure hope the law of averages hasn't finally caught up with me...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

Although rare, it is possible to read something on this forum you don't agree with and simply move on with your life

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did 2008-09 Results Help You Now? Idnar7 FIRE and Money 42 10-27-2015 09:10 AM
California Munis Closed End Funds tanked today, why? Disappointed FIRE and Money 10 01-20-2008 06:15 PM
Did you retire or Did you quit GTM Life after FIRE 19 03-09-2006 01:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.