what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to take the cat for a walk. It's going to be a loooooooong process. Bought her a camo kitty holster and a retractable leash. Maybe in a year from now we'll be strolling through the complex! For now, she's doing a good impression of a potted plant.

LOL, my attempts at this in the past have been met with kitty "gator roll" impressions. Uggh!

I asked my optometrist to stick a needle in my eyeball.

On Wednesday I finished pruning our mango tree and hauling it up to our back lanai for further mulching. I wear safety glasses when I'm using a cutting tool, but somewhere during the afternoon a chip of mango wood about [-]three feet wide[/-] a quarter of a millimeter in diameter managed to sneak under my right eyelid. Instead of obligingly sliding down the surface of my eyeball to be washed out, it went edge-on and dug into my eye.

The pain was like having a grain of sand stuck under your eyelid (with mango sap!), but I couldn't find it. Imagine a presbyopian with a magnifying glass in one hand, a flashlight in the other, and a flushing nozzle in the third hand. It actually hurt more with my eye closed than open, and I kept trying to flush it out with contact lens solution and the kitchen-sink spray nozzle. No joy.

The first available appointment was Friday morning. Sleeping was uncomfortable and the eye kept leaking tears to flush it out. However the pain had died down by Thursday afternoon and I was beginning to think it'd work its way out. I still couldn't see it but the pain had gone from seven out of ten to about four.

The optometrist says that when something gets stuck under the eyelid, not in the surface of the eye, then blinking drags the object back & forth across the eyeball in zigzag "debris tracks". Those objects are pretty easy to chase down, although the blinking & dragging usually flushes them out first. But when it's stuck in the surface of they eye, optometrists go hunting with fluorescent dyes and bright lights. He finally stuck a swab onto my upper lid, "everted" the lid to get a look underneath it at the upper half of the eyeball, and then uttered the spine-chilling word that nobody wants to hear from a medical professional:

"Hmmm".

Removal was actually anti-climatic. A few drops of anesthetic (on the eyeball), a probe that looked like something out of a Freddy Kreuger movie, a very strange feeling of it being laid across the surface of the eye, and then a small tug.

The pain stopped immediately, and I could blink again without wincing. You couldn't even see the wood chip without a magnifying lens. He said that without medical attention our bodies would eventually break it down or encyst it and absorb it "in another week or two"(!). He said the real worry is metal shards that attract bacteria & rust, but organic material would usually resolve itself.

Last night's sleep was pretty sweet...

OMG Nords, this sounds horrific! I wouldn't have been able to stand it, would have gone right to the ER...which probably would not have resulted in the best doc looking at it...uggghhh. I once sprayed hairspray directly into my eye (it had clogged up and came out an an unexpected angle). That hurt soooooo bad...my college roommate had to walk me like a blind person to the student infirmary where they proceeded to hold open my eyelid and run saline nonstop over my eyeball. OMG, a terrible memory!

So glad it is all better now!

I once put swimmers ear drops(alcohol) in my eye instead of eyeball drops.

I ventured out to the local ACE hardware and spent ~$90 on critter (non cat) food.

I asked my optometrist to stick a needle in my eyeball...
He said the real worry is metal shards that attract bacteria & rust, but organic material would usually resolve itself.

Wow, this is just like coming across a new word after just learning it:

Redduck says:
I Googled "Liquid Sodium" and this kind of jumped out at me:. "Researchers concluded that the liquid sodium released during the accident, could have melted steel doors..."

So, now you know that liquid sodium does the trick if you should get metal shards (or a steel door) in your eye. I'm sure REWahoo would be glad to sell you some of his extra liquid sodium if you explained to him what you needed it for.

please note: I am not an MD, I'm just a guy with some great ideas.

Good thing you had safety glasses on - it could have been worse. I've shared your eye gouging experience. I had a speck of metal removed the same way. The eye doctor said to DW "Come here and see this" as he removed the debris with the needle. She fainted and we had to wait for her to fully recover before we could go home.

Anyway, now I wear goggles that form a tighter fit around my eyes.

Owiee, that hurt just reading about it.

I did once manage to get a bit of metal shaving from a key-making machine in my eye. Pretty much the same experience.

Had a very nice relaxing day today! Crawled out of bed about 9 o'clock and went for a leisurely breakfast. Then this afternoon, we went to the Daytona Symphony Orchestra's Winter Concert! Great music and a wonderful conductor!!!

After the concert we went to Ruby Tuesday for a nice dinner! We came back to our hotel and changed clothes, then headed to the Peabody Auditorium for the Johnny Mathis concert!!! Even though Johnny's 76, he still has a great voice and vocal range!!! It's the best concert that we've been to in years!!!!

After the concert we headed over to Krispy Kreme and snag a dozen doughnuts. Hauled 'em back to our hotel room, poured a couple of glasses of ice cold milk, and indulged ourselves as a capper to a fantastic day!!!! :)

What fun, Goonie! I heard Johnny Mathis on TV a few months ago, and he is as wonderful as ever. What an amazing voice, and he only gets better with age.

The closest business to my home is a Krispy Kreme. I have been there once in the past 7 years or so (and they got my order wrong!). Oh well. Serves me right since I shouldn't eat them. The aroma of baking donuts is pleasant when I drive by, though.

Got my furnace switched over from oil to natural gas.

Mailed in my tax returns.

Smiled with glee when IBM went over $200 a share today. :D

Patiently waiting for it to split....:angel:

Weather got cold again, 20 F overnight. Yuk.

Found out DW's favorite sister will probably relocate within 30 minutes of where we are. If they do DW will be doing cartwheels.

This is a bummer for me though, because SIL's hubby wanted to move to NC and I was hoping that's what they'd do. Why? Because that would be a good excuse for us to move to a warmer climate, and then I could leave the snow thrower behind.

Oh well, the best made plans....

Mr B and I are enjoying his mid-semester break. We can actually converse for more than 10 minutes at a time. :LOL:

There is more sunshine here lately, but temps are hanging in the 20s. Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to get up to the 50s. :dance: Maybe I should get started on my summer tan. :D

I am trying to figure out a [-]no sledgehammer[/-] gentle way to give feedback to the officers and the group of other volunteers who use inefficient methods to handle customer service where I do my weekly volunteer table bussing. I am up against a "we always do it this way" mentality. I can see the failure points as far as time utilization is concerned.
The problem is customers are kept waiting for their checks to be cashed out after they are done eating and having coffee, which keeps them stuck there and a table occupied longer than it needs to be. I have had a lot of complaints from the customers kept waiting for the cashout.
I am not authorized to handle check cashout, and am usually too busy removing dishes to do it anyway.
Right now, each waitress has to stop taking orders and delivering food to cash out a check. The cashier is [-]agonizingly[/-] very slow and gets flustered easily when several waitresses are trying to cash out at once.
My solution is to have 1 person (instead of each individual waitress) dedicated to picking up the checks, going to the register, and returning change to the table.
The problem with this solution is the waitresses have to trust that person not to take their tips. The competition between the waitresses is cut-throat.

Hmmmmm...maybe I will just keep bussing tables and let them figure it out. :cool:

Last edited:
......... the officers and the group of other volunteers who use inefficient methods dedicated to picking up the checks, going to the register, and returning change to the table. .......

Spoken like a true engineer.....

Just finished installing 300 feet of drip irrigation for 70+ plants (2 zones). The landscaping company wanted $1,000 to do it. I spent $196 on material, and 4 hours of my time. That puts my hourly wage at $200. I had no idea I was worth that much.

Woke up and noticed that the ceiling fan was stopped - initial thought was darn I haven't even had that fan a year and it is broken already - but it wasn't that - the power was out.

Went to my first town meeting and attended the lunch after the meeting.

Power came back on a couple hours after I got home so all is well now.

Also went for a walk with DW.

Voted.
Sent off a package.
Went to grocery store.

DW and I tried to keep Ohio relevant in Super Tuesday by voting.

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother when at least 2/3 of the ballot had only single names (no opponents). Still, I always walk out with a good feeling, knowing that I did what a citizen is supposed to do.

But oh, the appallingly low quality of some of the candidates!

braumeister said:
DW and I tried to keep Ohio relevant in Super Tuesday by voting.

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother when at least 2/3 of the ballot had only single names (no opponents). Still, I always walk out with a good feeling, knowing that I did what a citizen is supposed to do.

But oh, the appallingly low quality of some of the candidates!

I'm also in Ohio so I voted today, too. I don't want to be associated with a political party so I had this large paper ballot with one school levy renewal issue and the rest was blank.

I'll always vote, but the way they run these primaries is very strange. I'm hopeful that our school issue passes.

You missed this sentence...;)

I can see the failure points as far as time utilization is concerned.

I know they will think [-]if they don't already[/-] I am from another planet if I say anything. :LOL:

I did not miss that sentence. I could see your mind working on the value stream map.......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom