what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon Nords, this post is useless without pictures:D

goahippie.jpg

Today I got a new hot water heater installed, at a 50% discount for everything including labor.

My plumber had sent out his jack-of-all-trades four times in the past 18 days, to try to fix my old one, which was only 4 years old, but it fought back. My showers for the past 18 days have almost invariably been completely cold. This was rapidly becoming unacceptable.

So, this morning I called with the time tested, "I'm a long time customer of yours who has always been happy with your work, but right now I feel like I fell through the cracks and isn't there some way to get hot water in my house" line. He gave me the "I can't afford to replace it for free, so let's split it down the middle".

Works for me... and at last I will have hot water, just as though I lived in civilization or something. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Today I got a new hot water heater installed, at a 50% discount for everything including labor.

My plumber had sent out his jack-of-all-trades four times in the past 18 days, to try to fix my old one, which was only 4 years old, but it fought back. My showers for the past 18 days have almost invariably been completely cold. This was rapidly becoming inacceptable.

So, this morning I called with the time tested, "I'm a long time customer of yours who has always been happy with your work, but right now I feel like I fell through the cracks and isn't there some way to get hot water in my house" line. He gave me the "I can't afford to replace it for free, so let's split it down the middle".

Works for me... and at last I will have hot water, just as though I lived in civilization or something. :rolleyes:

Well at least it didn't happen during the winter; nice discount!

Still preparing for the move. I have just finished piling up all the surplus furniture in the garage (waiting to be picked up by a local charity) and I have to make one more trip to Goodwill to get rid of the small junk. The house has a weird minimalist look with all the empty shelves and cabinets.

Re-installed an electronic countdown to retirement calendar on my office computer.

I downloaded one when I first joined this forum, but being six years out at the time, the number of days left was depressing so I removed it.

In a flash, two years have passed and I'm down to four years, four months and zero days. Plus we've hit a financial milestone recently, so I decided it was time to put the calendar back into operation.

I sometimes have to share my screen in a meeting, so I'll be curious to see if anyone notices it and asks what "Exit stage left" means.

Filed personal income tax return. Today is the deadline in Canada. Thanks to proactive tax planning with the help of my accountant, my overall tax rate for 2011 was 12%. :dance:

I took this nice new saw blade that I got for 50 cents at a rummage sale, and converted it into a red-neck pole saw.

PoleSaw.jpg

Then I cut a bunch of branches that were shading the wood pile and causing other problems.

I took four long and delightful hot showers, washed my hair, and ran the dishwasher and washing machine.... and all day I have had such a big smile on my face, that I thought it might just split in half. :D Didn't run out of hot water, either.

I knew I was getting close on the rear brake pads (it's been at least 4 years). The service guy said I was at minimum and recommended replacement. At least there was a special going on. Yeah right! Rotors still in good shape.

Alternators are pricey, but at least brake pads are cheap. I did the rears on my wife's Murano a few years ago at 65K for $22, and the fronts cost me a whopping $25. Now at 99K, the original rotors are still fine, and the pads I put on still have lots of life left in them. Gotta love Nissans.

Just came back from the dentist for some crown work. Gotta go back in 2 weeks to have the permanent crown put in. Yuck.

I will be spending the rest of the day shopping. We have to furnish our new apartment and I have to find a new coffee table, a bunch of lamps, some new bedding, and a new slipcover for the sofa. DW's getting some pocket money for the relocation, and I am going to blow it!:)

Why do you need to heat your hot water?
:hide:

Good point! :LOL: It should be called a cold water heater, not a hot water heater. :)

Whatever it is, I am sure enjoying having one that works, at last.

Oh, and oldphd, you're welcome! :D I smell like a rose now, thankyouverymuch. :ROFLMAO: Before my water heater was (finally) replaced, I was taking daily cold water showers - - but they weren't very comfortable or long (even in the summer heat).

It was almost as bad as roughing it. I know lots of people love camping way out where a stream is their only water source, but I am such a city girl. I love having hot and cold running water and other functional amenities.

I dropped my sister off at her interview. She is a graphic artist who lives in Seattle and she has been unemployed for a couple of years. She has been doing freelance work and barely squeaking by with help from my mom.

While visiting us in the Tampa Bay area (mom's treat), sis decided to submit a couple of job applications. Turns out one of the companies is where a close friend works in HR! My friend was happy to make some calls and get sis' resume moved to the top of the stack and let the hiring manager know sis will be in town for another week (we extended her trip on friend's advice).

Out to Macy's to get an interview suit which happened to be on sale! Sis had already gotten a haircut, her teeth cleaned, and an eye exam with new contacts since those activities are much less expensive here than in Seattle.

The first interview is a 2-hour software skills test. Sis is very talented and has been a pro since she was 16 but the job openings have been few and far between. We are keeping our fingers crossed!

Just learned that my son's ex-wife was charged with child endangerment and my two grandsons were removed from her house.

My son is on his way over to their other grandma's (where child protective services took them) to pick them up.

This is one of those times that I wish we didn't live on the other side of the country, cause he's going to need help in the coming weeks.

I dewaxed and cleaned up my surfboard in prep for it's trip to the doctor's. It has some owies that need to be fixed.

Looks nice, huh? If I ever stop surfing, I want to mount it on the wall in the living room. That will be years away, and it will take me that long to convince Lena to let me do it.

SurfboardUnwaxed.jpg

Last night, we celebrated Mr B's freedom from studying (schooooool's out for SUMMER). He took 2 exams Wednesday after putting 2 straight days in of constant studying. I went to Sacket's Harbor (Lake Ontario) for 2 days to get out from underfoot and give him complete P&Q in the house.

Today we are watching TV, well at least I am. :LOL: Mr B is stretched out in the recliner watching the inside of his eyelids.

I received my dwarf peach and plum trees, so I will get them into pots today. I scored four white 5 gallon buckets with handles for $3.29 each at the local hardware store. Much cheaper than buying planting pots anywhere else, and made of much sturdier material.

I dug up 5 blackberry plants (runners gone astray) for a lady friend who makes killer homemade fruit pies. I saw blackberry plants in pots at Lowe's the other day, and was astounded at the $9.99 price tag. I think I can negotiate a free blackberry pie out of this deal. :D
However, she gave me half a dozen each of dahlia and canna roots last week, so maybe not. ;)

Last edited:
Spent several hours going through boxes of books that haven't been unpacked yet (need to buy large bookcase) looking for a very nice fossil I found many years ago. My cousin's grandson wants to be a paleontologist and his birthday is tomorrow so he's getting the fossil for a present. Now I'm going to spend awhile checking my eyelids for light leaks.

Last edited:
Today I am setting up my drummer with Lena's knitting buddy. She'll come by during rehearsal. I hope it goes well. There are great dangers in setting up friends, but I think it may be worth it.

For the first time in a year, I took a day off from w*rk (without pay :mad:). Treated DW and myself out to a movie last night, today the replacement for our broken refrigerator was delivered and DW went to a Dr's appointment. Other than that I slept all day. I really needed this day of rest. Now I'm only 4 hrs away from having to go to w*rk :mad:.

ER cant come soon enough for me..........

Just came back from the dentist for some crown work. Gotta go back in 2 weeks to have the permanent crown put in. Yuck.

I'm having the same thing done next month. Not fun, but it's only the second one in my life and I'm glad I didn't live in an era when dentistry consisted of a pint of Jack Daniel's and a pair of pliers.

Long day yesterday. It started when FIL called and said "I have a little leak in the basement". That usually means the water is ankle-deep and rising so the first reaction here is "Oh *%#$".

It turned out to be not quite that bad but he did have a cracked porcelain toilet tank that was leaking and apparently had been, more slowly, for quite some time. Like years.

Oh well, we were gonna do that bathroom over soon anyway.... So after pulling out the toilet and sink, part of the the floor is rotted and has to be replaced.

DW's brother lives nearby and he's a far better carpenter than I will ever be so he's going to do that part.

The good news is that for the first time FIL apparently realizes that he simply can't live there by himself any longer. So after we get this bathroom done we can put the house up for sale and get him to a continuous-care facility. He's almost to the point where he's going to need assisted living.

The good news is that for the first time FIL apparently realizes that he simply can't live there by himself any longer. So after we get this bathroom done we can put the house up for sale and get him to a continuous-care facility. He's almost to the point where he's going to need assisted living.

That's huge!
Very glad you got that issue resolved. Now you have some work ahead of you to find a good place for him, but making that transition mentally is the big thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom