what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a visit to Cox Cable yesterday, my monthly bill will be decreased by $26. :dance:

I dropped HBO/Showtime because, after having these channels for an entire year, I hadn't watched even half of one movie on either one. I always thought it would be great, but I found out that movie channels are not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
DW and I went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. A film about people moving abroad to retire. They all have different reasons but most can't afford to stay where they are. It is a Hollywood view of retirement but still very enjoyable, and a welcome change from the summer action adventure genre.

We saw this movie last week and have to say we loved it. It was nice to see a movie which was an original rather than a remake like every other movie seems to be at the moment. Made us want to go to India asap.

After a visit to Cox Cable yesterday, my monthly bill will be decreased by $26. :dance:

I dropped HBO/Showtime because, after having these channels for an entire year, I hadn't watched even half of one movie on either one. I always thought it would be great, but I found out that movie channels are not my cup of tea.

W2R, I remember you saying that you couldn't sit still long enough to watch a movie. Too antsy! Me too.

We joined our country club the other day (the social portion) and last night we went to the pool, enjoyed a swim and listened to the band playing on the deck. Really enjoyed ourselves.

W2R, I remember you saying that you couldn't sit still long enough to watch a movie. Too antsy! Me too.

Yes, you are right and you have a good memory. I don't know why I signed up for them to begin with except that they were free for the first year. From the experience I definitely confirmed that I don't like the premium movie channels. I can also banish the idea of Netflix from my mind. :D

JOHNNIE36 said:
We joined our country club the other day (the social portion) and last night we went to the pool, enjoyed a swim and listened to the band playing on the deck. Really enjoyed ourselves.
Great! Glad to hear you are having fun there. :)

Today is the 30th anniversary of my college [-]emancipation[/-] graduation. I haven't really paid much attention to it because I tend to get the date of my graduation mixed up with the date of my spouse's graduation, and it's not an event that I care to commemorate. But all of my classmates are metaphorically high-fiving each other on Facebook.

I'm just glad that that the statute of limitations has run out.

Nightmares tonight.

Today is the 30th anniversary of my college [-]emancipation[/-] graduation. I haven't really paid much attention to it because I tend to get the date of my graduation mixed up with the date of my spouse's graduation, and it's not an event that I care to commemorate. But all of my classmates are metaphorically high-fiving each other on Facebook.

I'm just glad that that the statute of limitations has run out.

Nightmares tonight.

40th for me. I was invited. Won't be going.

I'm watching "Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides" on a Netflix DVD. Fabulous movie!

Since he is not a Johnny Depp fan :rolleyes: , Mr B spent half the day putting together the schedule of events/speakers for a huge Memorial Day ceremony tomorrow. My 2 camera batteries are fully charged and I am ready to play photographer.

He is bringing home Chinese takeout - shrimp egg foo yung for me and spareribs for him, with pork frid rice to split between us. Yum yum :D

Made a big pot of lima beans - vegetarian with tomatoes, onions, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder. I'm going to make some cole slaw to go with - plus cornbread. Then I weeded the flower/herb garden. I noticed a bush with lots of dead branches in the wealth area (according to Feng Shui) of our yard, so I clipped it back.

40th for me. I was invited. Won't be going.
This is the anniversary date, and the reunion is in September.

However USNA does it for nearly all of the alumni on the same weekend, so we all end up jammed onto the small Annapolis peninsula with no parking and overpriced... everything. To voluntarily devote an entire weekend to a place that I spent four years desperately trying to escape.

A few years back I volunteered for several hours to help USNA '50 hold their reunion in Waikiki. That was very popular, and it was interesting to see our future hanging out there 32 years in front of us. However I also saw how hard the local '50 alumni worked to put it together, too, so I'm not sure that I'd want to attend a local reunion either.

Facebook has pretty well cured me of reunion curiosity.

I'm watching "Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides" on a Netflix DVD. Fabulous movie!

Since he is not a Johnny Depp fan :rolleyes: , Mr B spent half the day putting together the schedule of events/speakers for a huge Memorial Day ceremony tomorrow. My 2 camera batteries are fully charged and I am ready to play photographer.

He is bringing home Chinese takeout - shrimp egg foo yung for me and spareribs for him, with pork frid rice to split between us. Yum yum :D

DW dragged me to Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp last week. DW no longer gets to pick the movies we go to :( Wait for the DVD and even then it might be too much unless you get free DVDs.

OTOH, DS and I went to see Battleship last night. Typical summer blockbuster - mindless but entertaining and Brooklyn Decker was very easy on the eyes. :)

DW dragged me to Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp last week. DW no longer gets to pick the movies we go to :( Wait for the DVD and even then it might be too much unless you get free DVDs.....

+1

We went to see this because of the very funny commercials and hey, it's Johnny Depp. It could have been hilarious. But wasn't.

Hoisted the Flag.

Went for a walk as usual. During the walk I remembered that on the 25th I had been retired 5 years. Big smile.

Enjoying the really quiet neighborhood. today. Seems all are following their herding instincts and went to where there are lots of other people. Ie, vacation, holiday or beach spots.

It really is good to be retired.

No need to join the herds for a three day weekends, lines for everything.

Reading this thread has caused me to realize that sometime in the past few days was the 40th anniversary of my high school graduation...freedom day! That would make it 36 years since college undergrad graduation. High school was a miserable time in my life and best forgotten, but the college years were good.

Surfing in Oregon. I had my photographer with me, and for once the waves were close to the beach. The waves were small, but I got a lot of good rides.

img_1198855_0_cce6fdff8aec7d850da11f348a94054f.jpg

img_1198855_1_9e218747459d2c75a0e8e3cf1161df70.jpg

Memorial Day dawn patrol!

The beach looked like tent city. I arrived at 6 AM and there were already a dozen groups camped out for the long day.

Attachments

• IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 10
Memorial Day dawn patrol!

The beach looked like tent city. I arrived at 6 AM and there were already a dozen groups camped out for the long day.

Great photos -- you had a camera with you out on the board?? And that's a new board, or someone else took the photo.

Great photos -- you had a camera with you out on the board?? And that's a new board, or someone else took the photo.
I have a Canon PowerShot D10 "waterproof" camera. It comes with a detachable wrist lanyard. I loop the lanyard to the tie on my jams and shoot low to the water, then keep the camera in my pocket. Or I detach the lanyard for some shots and keep muttering "Don't drop the camera, don't drop the camera" while I try to simultaneously shoot and not get hammered by the next wave.

For at least the last five years, I've been paddling out to this dawn patrol scene and thinking "Dang, I have to take a photo of that." I finally did. Since our college daughter's coming home next week, I posted it on Facebook to [-]torment[/-] motivate her for the surfing she's going to be doing. She'll recognize how the tufted trees line up at the base of the right-hand hill-- that's one of the bearing lines where we sit to catch the best waves. She knows exactly where that photo was taken, and she can imagine the waves coming in from the right.

I've had this 10'0" Trident epoxy longboard for just over a year. $400 used. The previous owner dropped it off the top of his truck and had a puncture professionally repaired, but otherwise it's in good shape. It's over 15 pounds and my arms are barely long enough to carry it, but it's great in small surf. It turns like... well, like a tanker, but I can still horse it around if I push hard. I'm "this close" to cheater fives on it.

It's also the perfect teaching board. For a beginner it's like launching a barn door, but they can sail it like the QE2.

I like that I can get the board into almost any wave, and unfortunately I'm beginning to prefer the slower pace at which it makes things happen. I still have the 9'0" Rapoza but I feel more comfortable with it in 4'-6' waves and I have trouble catching anything with it in less than 3. My daughter's 7'9" feels like a bouncy potato chip in comparison, but of course that's what I'd have to use when the waves get over eight feet.

Last edited:
Put the jet ski in the water for the first time this year. The impeller has some dings in it killing the low end so I couldn't pop up on a slalom ski but the top end was still pretty good - 50 to 53 vs 60 normally.

Had a farewell lunch for our neighbors, who sold their house (on the market for three years), purchased an RV and will depart next Monday to live full time 'on the road'.

I thought watching them sell, donate or trash almost everything in their house was interesting. DW thought it was a tragedy. :)

Last edited:
When we sold our home in Virginia to move to Nevis we gave away 1/3 of our stuff to friends and relatives, 1/3 to charities, and brought the rest with us to furnish a much smaller home here.

For me, it was absolutely liberating to get rid of all that stuff we'd accumulated over the decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom