Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #8781
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did my two favorite hikes this weekend. Yesterday I hiked about 16 miles along the Eagle Creek trail in the Columbia River Gorge, it's about 1/2 hour from downtown Portland. The hike has a lot of waterfalls and is an easy grade to hike. It is an amazing hike.

Today I hiked about ten miles in the Silver Falls State Park which is about 1.5 hours SE of Portland. There is a stretch in the hike that has 10 incredible waterfalls; the trail goes behind three of the falls. The last couple of miles is through old growth forest.

The temp. was in the mid 60's and the smell of Fall was in the air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060350.jpg (876.9 KB, 6 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #8782
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I sang at a funeral today. It was for a man in my church whom I have known for many years. As I listened to the tributes by friends and family, it struck me how little we all truly know about each other. I think I should ask more questions.
I'm going to a Biker funeral on Tuesday. There will be over two hundred harley's there, because Rick was a past Director of the Local HOG group. RIP Rick...my little buddy!

Today I watched the Packers win...which was a good thing, because the QB,(Aaron Rodgers), is from a local town near Shasta Lake CA...Chico. I also re-mounted the closet doors in the bedroom, (new paint on the doors)...Plus, I made soup...with the last of the zucchini from our garden.

Earlier today, I cleaned the Pool...
SANY0173.jpg

Trex
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #8783
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Test drove a 6,000 pound behemoth last night. Today I brewed a batch of Scottish light ale, chased kids and dogs until I went nuts, fought with DW, and then took the kids to my in-laws for dinner with their cousins.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #8784
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
fought with DW,
Did you get out of intensive care yet?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #8785
Give me a forum ...

Today is goof-off day. Mr B caught a cold and developed severe chest congestion over the past 2 days. We were up half the night dealing with his extreme coughing spells. After a hefty dose of cough syrup and 2 Mucinex, he managed to get some sleep and dutifully went off to class today. Tough guy indeed!

I have some homemade chicken and rice soup all ready for him when he returns. The tough part is getting him to rest.

No cold symptoms for me...so far so good.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #8786
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Did you get out of intensive care yet?
No, but the bottom of one of the frying pans fell off due to my tender ministrations.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #8787
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today is goof-off day. Mr B caught a cold and developed severe chest congestion over the past 2 days. We were up half the night dealing with his extreme coughing spells. After a hefty dose of cough syrup and 2 Mucinex, he managed to get some sleep and dutifully went off to class today. Tough guy indeed!

I have some homemade chicken and rice soup all ready for him when he returns. The tough part is getting him to rest.

No cold symptoms for me...so far so good.
I made a big batch of chicken and rice soup yesterday. I have some kind of crud too.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #8788
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I made a big batch of chicken and rice soup yesterday. I have some kind of crud too.
This particular bug went from sore throat Sat night to full blown severe chest congestion in 24 hours. I'm surprised I don't have the symptoms yet, but I know it is inevitable. I have a bit of a sinus headache, but that's it.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #8789

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This particular bug went from sore throat Sat night to full blown severe chest congestion in 24 hours. I'm surprised I don't have the symptoms yet, but I know it is inevitable. I have a bit of a sinus headache, but that's it.

Hope you feel better soon.
we had a bug like that come through in Aug/Sept. It lingered in me for 3+ weeks. For the kids it was a regular cold. Hope it is not what I had.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #8790
Moderator Emeritus

Flu shots! $25 each at a pharmacy with a five-minute wait.

We also bought wall sconces for the familyroom. Having three Houston lighting companies with showrooms is a lot easier than doing it over the Internet, because everyone seems to think that their light has to have some weird custom bulb or fitting.

We had a choice of paying $150 shipping for five sconces (@ $67) or of packing them back to Hawaii in our well-padded luggage. Wish us luck...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #8791

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Test drove a 6,000 pound behemoth last night. Today I brewed a batch of Scottish light ale, chased kids and dogs until I went nuts, fought with DW, and then took the kids to my in-laws for dinner with their cousins.
I'm brewing a Scottish ale in a couple of weeks (three floyds Robert the Bruce clone). Was your fight with DW related to your brewing escapades?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #8792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We had a choice of paying $150 shipping for five sconces (@ $67) or of packing them back to Hawaii in our well-padded luggage. Wish us luck...
With da kine shipping prices the occasional mainland vacay with some extra luggage room could be almost money making.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #8793
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm brewing a Scottish ale in a couple of weeks (three floyds Robert the Bruce clone). Was your fight with DW related to your brewing escapades?
No, related to me being overscheduled and having a never declining to do list, even while I am trying to brew.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #8794
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
With da kine shipping prices the occasional mainland vacay with some extra luggage room could be almost money making.
Big-time. AirFareWatchDog.com is your friend. It's even more profitable when you're lugging things home to Hawaii from Bangkok.

The best advantage of Houston's lighting stores is that the population is big enough to support these huge warehouses of displays. We wouldn't have been able to find this sconce through an Internet search, and it still took us over two hours to physically survey the choices. Honolulu just doesn't have the customer critical mass to support that kind of inventory.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #8795
Give me a forum ...

Went to doc yesterday and got my annual physical with flu shot. I was there when the doors opened(walk in clinic) and was the 3rd one to sign in. But still took 2 hours to get out of there. It was all covered under BCBS's wellness benefit and cost nothing. Other than a finger twinge up the a$$.

Going to be another beautiful day so headed to the golf course.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #8796

Went out sailing off Oceanside yesterday, nice day, very calm, light air, and saw a large group of Pacific white-sided dolphin working a big school of some kind of fish. Lots of birds getting in on the action. A fair amount of seals around too. All in all, a pleasant day on the water.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #8797
Recycles dryer sheets

W*rked.

It is awful to relate, but I am starting to take every new project personally. Physically I'm here, mentally I'm in the RV. Sigh.....
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Went to doc yesterday and got my annual physical with flu shot. I was there when the doors opened(walk in clinic) and was the 3rd one to sign in. But still took 2 hours to get out of there. It was all covered under BCBS's wellness benefit and cost nothing. Other than a finger twinge up the a$$.

Going to be another beautiful day so headed to the golf course.
Hit 'em long and straight!

Don't let that finger wag make your waggle wiggle.

Remember, "Be the ball....na, na, na, na, na, na, na."
Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #8799

Busy the last few days. Sunday was going with DW to a kid's birthday party at a "bouncy place" that has huge inflatable slides and such for her nephew's kids to play on. The photos I took turned out great. Burned DVD's to send to respective grandparents.

Monday and Tuesday were photography classes in the AM and work in the PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #8800
Moderator Emeritus

Eight hours flying from Houston to Oahu.

The good news is that we didn't have to go through SFO or LAX.

The not-so-good news is that we had the same flight crew as last week. Their performance was unforgettable, and I'm pretty sure they remembered me too...

Five of six sconces survived the trip. Luckily we only needed five and the sixth one was my $67 suitcase insurance against the store's $150 shipping fees.

The contractors busted out a huge volume of work while we were gone, and we can see that this is all going to end well! Maybe we should just go find a Napili Bay condo and wait for them to call us when they're finished.

Closed Thread