what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did the Potomac Eagle ride several years ago and it was fun and the scenery was beautiful.

Spent the weekend riding a bike around Napa Valley. My knees are killing me tonight, but that was great way to move between wineries.

Spent the weekend riding a bike around Napa Valley. My knees are killing me tonight, but that was great way to move between wineries.

I remember visiting the Napa Valley wineries via horseback with a friend of mine way back in the 70's. The horses knew the way home:dance:

antmary said:
I remember visiting the Napa Valley wineries via horseback with a friend of mine way back in the 70's. The horses knew the way home:dance:

They also usually know exactly how far / long they can go before it's time to turn back in order to make quitting time.

Just an idea for you. In the last community we live in there was a technical education center adjacent to the local high school that had an automotive trades program that would fix vehicles for the cost of parts + $1 for labor. The problem was that they took forever but if you don't need the vehicle it might be an option. I recall having a new head gasket installed in one of my cars that way.
Thanks! :flowers:
The local BOCES used to do this, but due to liability issues, no longer does so.

I have written it off as a money sink. The parts are just too expensive. My mechanic buddy does not charge me a lot for labor, but even he said it would be expensive to repair it in terms of labor hours. More than I want to keep putting into it, on top of other repairs over the past few years. I prefer to put the cost to repair the Jeep into a newer used vehicle with better gas mileage ratings.

I've had quite a few people stop to look at it, but no serious bites yet. If nothing else, it will go to the junkyard or a metal reclaiming station for cash.

Hurricane Sandy extended my weekend into Monday. Slept in late, watch the howling wind, and slept again.

Mr B and I just got done playing Lumber Jack & Jill. I have a very tall row of natural cedar trees along both sides of my front yard. On 1 side, the tops are just touching the power and cable/telephone wires coming from the street to the house. One of the tops was tangled in the cable wire. My area may have high winds again if Sandy rolls back eastward.

I got out my tree saw and together we cut down 3 of the vertical limbs that were close to the wires. We used the tree saw portion to sever the limbs far down the tru, i.e. ee were nowhere near the wires with the saw.

Yes...I had safety glasses on. Mr B had a plastic squeegie with a long wooden handle to rescue me just in case I had a problem with the wires. I was taught that little trick when I managed a lab.

Mission accomplished! :D

I've been monitoring the Weather Channel and netw*rk news for 3 days.

I proudly salute the emergency personnel of the National Guard, FEMA, state, county, and township officials and staff, all levels of law enforcement, DoD service members who are domestically deployed 24/7, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the local community groups, and the ordinary citizens of the stricken areas who are pulling together to try to restore the most basic services.

Who did I forget?

The next time I see someone complain about public w*rkers...:bat:

We are home and safe..they are not. Any questions ?

Last edited:
Most mornings, the first thing that I do when I get up is put on a pot of coffee. This morning DH woke before I did, so I woke up to the smell of coffee brewing. That got me to thinking about the mildly scolding admonition "wake up and smell the coffee!". Really what could be more inviting than waking to the aroma of fresh brewed coffee.

So, this morning I woke up and smelled the coffee and drank a couple of cups while I leisurely read the newspaper. ;-)

oops...I copied and pasted what I thought was a free image. Here's one of my own. :D

I'm debating getting dressed up and going trick or treating to friends' houses. The forecast is rain and wind, which is the pits when in costume.

I will dispatch Mr B to go buy "day after" candy tomorrow. Gotta stimulate the economy!

Attachments

• Copy of P9300006.jpg
    Copy of P9300006.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
TCM Classic Horror movies on TCM tonight

This is the last night of the October Wednesday horror flicks.

Tonight's lineup includes Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Body Snatchers, The Wolf Man, Island of Lost Souls, etc.

I have my DVR set to record all of them.

Mwah ha haaaaaaaaaaa >:D

I'm watching Addams Family Values on ABC right now. Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester is too funny. Raul Julia is a good Gomez, but nowhere near as good as John Astin.

Last edited:
Breakfast at a kinda hippy/cool place. We ate big with 3 cups of coffee each. We decided to enjoy a leisurely breakfast out because we had a big day cleaning and packing ahead. DH makes fun of me for wanting the house clean for potential burglars.

Tomorrow we take off for two week road trip to visit family in ME and MA. It's been a long time comin' and i am so ready.

Very few trick-or-treaters tonight and there is way too much chocolate candy left.

We spent an hour hammering little aluminum soffit vent covers into the soffit vent holes on our second story.

The vent holes are exactly 2" in diameter. Unfortunately the vent covers are also exactly 2" in diameter. We ended up having to slice them at the top & bottom and then compress them a little before pounding them in with a rubber mallet.

$1.50/each. 200 soffit vent holes. A flock of very determined Java sparrows. I think we'll eventually win.

I'm watching Addams Family Values on ABC right now. Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester is too funny. Raul Julia is a good Gomez, but nowhere near as good as John Astin.

"Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's MY job" Morticia

Breakfast at a kinda hippy/cool place.

Did you have "hash" browns?

Nice! Did you make the metal and rubber parts too? I'll bet they won't let you take it aboard a plane.

NW-Bound said:
Nice! Did you make the metal and rubber parts too? I'll bet they won't let you take it aboard a plane.

No - i bought the rubber and metal parts as an assembly with a threaded section on top. I turned the walnut on my lathe and tapped a threaded hole for the metal piece to screw into. You're right - probably not something I could take on a flight.

We are finally finished with parenting a teenager.

She turned 20 years old yesterday... did you notice how all of America celebrated our happiness?

Counting this post, I have made 11 posts today! Yet, I made these posts in the rest periods between real home work.

I managed to finish a new planting bed that I started a few days ago. Tucked into a corner of the backyard and built with cinder blocks and mortar for the edges, it gives us another 20 sq.ft. to grow some herbs. It is always nice to have fresh basil for cooking. We already have chives, but I will look into other herbs too.

Then, I just made some stuffed bell peppers to make use of some items I found in the fridge: some bell peppers, and for the filling, chopped tomato and onion, a cup or two of leftover rice, and some ground pork sausage. Add to that filling a pinch of oregano, black pepper, and garlic, and man, the smell from the oven is making me hungry, particularly as I am sipping a glass of white merlot without any food.

PS. Updated to show the peppers that were just consumed.
img_1245310_0_e9b0a9b2cddbdf61c0d355502abc8630.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know where the day went. The only thing of note I did today was to walk to the hardware store to buy a single screw to repair a drawer pull.

Grocery store run, then prepped the lawn equipment for winter, drained all fuel, changed oil on the four-strokes, put the snow thrower front-and-center in the shed (hoping I don't have to use it).

Went down to the local historical bridge to take some photos on the debris stacked up by Sandy. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sandy-63516-11.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom