what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to work for a few hours where I chased a mouse around the office for a few hours. Then took DW to the knee dr for her post op appt. Then went for lunch at a microbrewery. Came home to a house with no heat. I tried to get the furnace going, but no go. Repairman is coming at 7:00 am. Good thing is the temp is only dipping down to 22 tonight.

Just returned home from a getaway weekend to upstate NY. We stayed at a nice old inn at Ballston Spa. It was a package deal with a couples mineral bath and massage (my first). The young wife really liked the massage, but for me it was a big case of meh. Not unpleasant, but not as good as I had been led to believe it would be; I didn't really feel anymore relaxed than normal.

The weather was exceptional this weekend. Yesterday, after the massage, we drove into Saratoga Springs and ate lunch al fresco on the porch of the Van Dam hotel. It was amazing to see how upscale Broadway has become since I lived across the street 30 years ago (when I was in Navy nuclear power training in Ballston Spa).

This morning, we toured the battlefield at Saratoga and then drove over to Bennington, where we ate lunch before driving home. It was a pleasant surprise to be wandering about in a T-shirt in mid November.

First snowflakes this morning. I'm ready so all is well. Still have a short sleaved shirt on. Was even outside without a coat for two minutes. lol

Attachments

• winter.jpg
    winter.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 9
Just got back from the Mainland and my body is still on Central time. But it's reeeeally quiet around here at 2 AM.

I've spent the day catching up on the financial paperwork, paying bills, and opening the mail. (My father and my daughter get 4x the mail at this address that my spouse and I do.) I have some blog maintenance to catch up on (reformatting 140+ links that didn't quite make the transition) and lots of writing to do. I learned at least as much on this USAA trip as I did on the last one.

Tomorrow we'll start getting back into the yardwork and home maintenance and exercise routine... although probably not all on the same day.

Just returned home from a getaway weekend to upstate NY. We stayed at a nice old inn at Ballston Spa. It was a package deal with a couples mineral bath and massage (my first). The young wife really liked the massage, but for me it was a big case of meh. Not unpleasant, but not as good as I had been led to believe it would be; I didn't really feel anymore relaxed than normal.
It was amazing to see how upscale Broadway has become since I lived across the street 30 years ago (when I was in Navy nuclear power training in Ballston Spa).
Gee, last time we were at Ballston Spa I don't remember having the time to go out for a mineral bath and a massage. If they'd had those on the prototype site in 1983 then those 12-hour shifts would have been a lot more enjoyable!

I'm impressed that you managed to have a good time there. I'd be having flashbacks with a side order of chills.

I made 2 lbs of homemade gyro meat 2 days ago, and have it sitting in the frig in a FoodSaver sealed bag to "cure". We did a small taste test the day I cooked it. It was absolutely fabulous. :D

I have graduated to eating real food, i.e. had 1 slice of pizza but still no steak. :(
I still have some residual soreness in my jaw.

I goofed off all day today while Mr B studied for a test. He has another test tomorrow night, and a takehome exam due by Sunday. Poor guy.
I am cheering him on to hang in there in this 3rd and final semester. His GPA from 2 previous semsters is 3.98. He wants to maintain that level, but it may not happen this semester. And I thought I was the high achiever Type A personality in the house. He makes me look like a real slacker. :LOL:

I processed some dried parsley, reorganized and consolidated my spice cupboard, and made homemade chili for him to devour when he gets home after school. :D

I met a friend at IHOP for coffee and breakfast. I ordered the banana and strawberry with whipped cream pancakes. DEEEEEEEE-licious :D

We talked nonstop for 3 hours. He w*rked for the railroads (Erie Lackawanna, Conrail, CSX) as a Senior Engineer, on call 24/7 in all weather conditions and situations.
The history of Erie Lackawanna is given here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Lackawanna_Railway
CSX is described here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_Transportation

An excellent article about railway transportation in the US is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transportation_in_the_United_States

What an interesting collection of stories he had. I gained a new understanding of what these railroad w*rkers go through to maintain safety and optimal train traffic flow. Astounding!
He retired 3 years ago and is still trying to fully relax. I advised him to make a mud pie on a rainy day just for the hell of it. :LOL:

Tonight I am home surfing while listening to the Soundscapes digital cable music channel. Mr B just left to take test #2 of 3 scheduled for this week.

Last edited:
We've installed 188 of our 200 soffit vent covers. The last 12 will require cutting down the vent covers and cleaning out the holes into which they'll be inserted. I can tell that when this house was built, two different guys with two different hole saws were drilling the original vent holes. Possibly with two different degrees of sobriety, too.

The good news is that there are no new bird nests, no wasps, and no bees.

We pruned the macadamia nut tree way back and did an hour of "vigorous weeding". Another week's green waste quota met. Today's handy yardwork tip: don't plant macadamia trees near buildings or sprinkler pipes...

We got our $5 state income tax refund check today, too. At first I was looking forward to the day when the state figures out how to do an ACH deposit, but then I decided that I'd rather just avoid paying any more state income taxes.

Went for golf with a friend who retired a year ago. She is now actively trading shares and tells me she makes enough earnings to cover her monthly expenses and has not made any withdrawals from her retirement funds. Good for her. I feel such a slob comparatively as my investments are all longer term as opposed to day trading. The weather was very kind to us and just perfect for golfing today.

The weather was exceptional this weekend. Yesterday, after the massage, we drove into Saratoga Springs and ate lunch al fresco on the porch of the Van Dam hotel. It was amazing to see how upscale Broadway has become since I lived across the street 30 years ago (when I was in Navy nuclear power training in Ballston Spa).

This morning, we toured the battlefield at Saratoga and then drove over to Bennington, where we ate lunch before driving home. It was a pleasant surprise to be wandering about in a T-shirt in mid November.

Love Saratoga Springs!!!
Can't remember the address, but in 1966-67, when I was a district manager for 24 stores in upstate ny, vermont and northern ma, my office was on Broadway. The location was inside a second story castle-like round turret that hung over the sidewalk. It had windows on all sides, and was probably about 12 feet in diameter. Was living in Greenfield Ma at the time, so was at the office just once or twice a week... on the road the rest of the time. Always wondered if the office was still there.

Saratoga Springs was a lot less commercial then, I think. We eventually moved to Elnora, which became Clifton Park while we were there. Our free time was always spent in places like the harness track, the springs, the pool, the battlefield and later at SPAC, where we went for the grand opening. DW brought our four boys to the pool two or three times a week.

Saratoga was the gateway to my beloved Adirondaks where, with my scout troop, we climbed, canoed, camped and explored almost every weekend and a full week in the summers between 1970 and 1979.
(Chain of Lakes Old Forge to Tupper)

Oh yeah... and always, always when we went the actual springs... drank the medicinal waters, and brought home a bottle. Favorites were Hathorn Spring #3 and the Hayes Well Spring....

Sheesh... doesn't take much to trigger the memories. (Oh... and BTW, always managed to return home by way of the Skidmore Campus, for the view).
;)

Except for working like a dog, I enjoyed living in Saratoga Springs. I was there during the racing season and watched the parade up Broadway from our fire escape/balcony. The young wife-to-be came up to visit me and we went to the horse track and then saw Eugene Ormondy conduct the Philadelphia Orchestra at SPAC (I believe it was one of the last times he conducted). And of course, I always appreciated the Skid Kids.

I [-]temporarily lost my mind and[/-] went shopping today. I had a bunch of little things to get at the dollar store.
I spent about an hour at the Dollar Tree, mostly wandering the aisles and people watching. I had never been to this particular store before. It was an eye opener. :blink:
I needed new mocassin slippers because Mr B discovered that [-]hijacked[/-] my 2 year old pair [-]since they[/-] fit him perfectly. They are mens' mocassins that I bought on sale. I have [-]waterskis for feet[/-] 9.5 womens' size feet.
I guess I should have hidden them in my closet instead of leaving them in the bathroom. :facepalm: He tried them on while half awake during a night-time kidney break.
I was using the 2 year old mocassins as nice comfy house slippers. Now he is wearing them as going out and about shoes. :nonono:
I bought my new mocassins at Marshalls. They have a nice fuzzy inside and a strip of fuzzy material across the tops. I think the new ones will be safe, because his Legion buddies would horse-laugh him out of the post if he walked in wearing these beauties. :LOL:

Attachments

• newmoccasins.jpg
    newmoccasins.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I ..... needed new mocassin slippers because Mr B discovered that [-]hijacked[/-] my 2 year old pair [-]since they[/-] fit him perfectly. I guess I should have hidden them in my closet. :facepalm:....

You could have spray painted them pink --- that probably would have dissuaded him from hijacking them.

This is goofy... Last year my 50 year old LLBean Mocassin slippers finally gave up the ghost. I don't have a foot fetish, but I really, really liked those soft soled comfy friends.

Seems like no one sells the plain leather soled indian style mocassin any longer... at least not at the price I paid back then... (maybe $7.00). Am too darned frugal to spend $50 to $120 for new ones like this:
img_1248726_0_873011c18417ef2e4fe97ac2b2ae6988.jpg

Wonder if I can peel the rubber sole off of the Walmart ones?:dance:

Last edited:
Just when I thought it was safe to assume this Thanksgiving would be a nice carefree one (the last two have sucked), DH was told his EKG came back abnormal from his physical yesterday.

The doc didn't seem too concerned, (easy for him to say) but wants DH to see a cardiologist after the holiday.

Good times...:dead:

Just when I thought it was safe to assume this Thanksgiving would be a nice carefree one (the last two have sucked), DH was told his EKG came back abnormal from his physical yesterday.

The doc didn't seem too concerned, (easy for him to say) but wants DH to see a cardiologist after the holiday.

Keep the faith. I had a similar situation a few years ago and it turned out to be a faulty EKG. Even if it is true it could be something minor, treatable or both.

imoldernu said:
This is goofy... Last year my 50 year old LLBean Mocassin slippers finally gave up the ghost. I don't have a foot fetish, but I really, really liked those soft soled comfy friends.

Seems like no one sells the plain leather soled indian style mocassin any longer... at least not at the price I paid back then... (maybe $7.00). Am too darned frugal to spend $50 to $120 for new ones like this:

Wonder if I can peel the rubber sole off of the Walmart ones?:dance:

I believe L. L. Bean will honor its guarantee and replace your slippers. Call the customer service folks and see what they say.

Keep the faith. I had a similar situation a few years ago and it turned out to be a faulty EKG. Even if it is true it could be something minor, treatable or both.

I had the same thing happen . I then had a stress test & passed .

I believe L. L. Bean will honor its guarantee and replace your slippers. Call the customer service folks and see what they say.

Hmm... Good thinking... They probably wouldn't need the sales slip, but I have a feeling that the alterations to the original product would make me ineligible...
About 5 layers of duct tape on the sole. Oh well, so much for Buy American.
:LOL:

I had the same thing happen . I then had a stress test & passed .

Similar experiences here for both myself and DW, both referred to cardiologist and both given the all clear.

It is worrying, but the chances are good that the Doc is just being cautious.

After 14 years of wear and tear, I started the project of repainting the interior woodwork. I'd like to shoot whoever came up with the idea of crown molding...

After putting up with a drill/driver that couldn't keep a bit in place, decided to change the chuck today. A new chuck with a racheting action did the trick big time. I'm a happy camper now.

Attachments

• drill with chuck.jpg
    drill with chuck.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 4
After 14 years of wear and tear, I started the project of repainting the interior woodwork. I'd like to shoot whoever came up with the idea of crown molding...

That's hard even for a professional painter. After mine finished my crown molding a couple of years ago, he looked really beat. This despite the fact that he had been a pro boxer in his youth and is very fit. When he was finishing up I pointed out that with the newly white crown molding, the nail holes showed up. So, he had to go back and fill them and touch up. Luckily he has a very mellow personality. :D

Thanks y'all for the positive remarks about rotten EKGs. :)

I read one (only one) article about abnormal EKGs. It stated a large variety of reasons for why this could happen.

Meanwhile, DH got his blood work results this a.m. His bad cholesterol is low, the good cholesterol is high, and his liver, kidney and thyroid are just fine. His blood pressure was normal yesterday as well.

He said he was pleased about the blood work results...now if only he could keep his heart from exploding....

:LOL:

Yep, he and I can get pretty twisted at times. Got to hang on to as much humor as possible don't ya know.

I went to see the latest James Bond 007 movie, Skyfall, in a real theatre today. I went to the 12 PM showing. It was almost like being at a private showing with only 20 or so people in the theatre.
The movie was fabulous. Daniel Craig is the next best thing to Sean Connery :smitten: if that is at all possible.
Both surely make my motor hummmmm. :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom