Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #901
Moderator Emeritus

Drove 440 miles today. Listened to scary stuff on public radio. Tomorrow the iPod.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I wonder if the sunblock I'm using is making my eyes water?
Probably. In my case, sunblock or any type of skin cream + heat = extreme tearing. I take care to leave a free zone around my eyes and wear wraparound sunglasses.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #903
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
An abhorrence of paperwork combined with a tendency to drop such into a pile to look at 'later'.

Party of the reason for the housekeeper is to browbeat/nag me into doing stuff (and assisting).
I see we have something in common!!! I HATE paperwork.....
Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #904
Confused about dryer sheets

watered my cactus (doesn't happen everyday), sent a check to vanguard (ditto) and after 3 years finally registered with ER.org

I'm ready to hit the hay....
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #905
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Probably. In my case, sunblock or any type of skin cream + heat = extreme tearing. I take care to leave a free zone around my eyes and wear wraparound sunglasses.
I don't have to worry about sunblock today. Snow on the ground this morning. Won't last long, suppose to get up to 47.

Edit: Maybe I will need sunblock today. 50 minutes later, the sun is out and the snow gone.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #906
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Snow on the ground this morning.
Still snowing over this way -- only the second snow that I can remember in my almost 14 years here! The pup seemed to enjoy the snow on our walk this morning. Of course, he could care less if it is pouring rain either so we go rain or shine at around 6:30 every morning.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #907
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Played 18 holes.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #908
Give me a forum ...

I was in the mood for comfort food - homemade macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for lunch. I rationalized that by remembering I didn't go to my usual chinese buffet lunch this week.
Helped dh2b with his taxes.
Read some fun articles at MSN.com about celebrities' plastic surgery, NYS soda taxes aka "fat tax", wedding planning, all sorts of fluff.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Drove 440 miles today. Listened to scary stuff on public radio. Tomorrow the iPod.
Where are you headed, Martha? I love to hear the stories of RVers since I want to do some part time RVing with DW when we finally FIRE...if we can ever FIRE.

R
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #910
gone traveling

Yesterday took the dogs for several daily walks along the beach. Went into the park and watched a large group of girls dancing to a group of percussionists doing a tribal type thing. After a short time both dogs are on their backs squirming to the beat.!

Walked down to the Waikiki Shell later and listened to the Jimmy Buffet concert. Tonite taking the dogs and snacks down and will listen to the Steve Miller Band.

This morning was awaken by gunshots!! Looked out the window to see blue flashing motorcycle lights being chased by a large group of women! 10K race. There's something always going on in Waikiki.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #911
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Where are you headed, Martha? I love to hear the stories of RVers since I want to do some part time RVing with DW when we finally FIRE...if we can ever FIRE.

R
Headed to Mission Texas for some birding. Today, I drove another 400 plus miles and am sitting in a state park in Oklahoma.

It is nice to be on the road and watching the snow disappear.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #912
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday my daughter and I passed the first part of our taekwondo black belt test-- in just over six hours. Despite two water bottles and a food break I still managed to lose three pounds. Today I'm not as sore as I expected to be, perhaps because I started yesterday afternoon with 800 mg of ibuprofen and chugged another 1200 over the next eight hours around the test. But I don't have any endurance and when I sit down I'm not much interested in getting back up...

The second/final part is next Sunday, and that's pretty much just a public demonstration with the belts awarded afterward. Videos, pictures, and high-fives to follow.

Elapsed training time: five years
Tuition, clinics, camps, tournaments, uniforms, travel expenses: $11,500.87 for two
Orthopedic knee braces: $1697.50
Black belts & father-daughter photos: priceless!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Headed to Mission Texas for some birding. Today, I drove another 400 plus miles and am sitting in a state park in Oklahoma.

It is nice to be on the road and watching the snow disappear.
Thanks, sounds like a load of fun!

So what did I do today? Sat at (am sitting at) the PC at work, having lunch, and dreaming of FIRE. Same ol', same ol'...

R
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yesterday my daughter and I passed the first part of our taekwondo black belt test--

The second/final part is next Sunday, and that's pretty much just a public demonstration with the belts awarded afterward. Videos, pictures, and high-fives to follow.
Congratulations Nords. And to your daughter.
The "real test" as you noted is done. Looks like well deserved.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #915
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday my daughter and I passed the first part of our taekwondo black belt test-- in just over six hours.

Tuition, clinics, camps, tournaments, uniforms, travel expenses: $11,500.87 for two

Congratulations , Please post a picture !
Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #916
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday my daughter and I passed the first part of our taekwondo black belt test-- in just over six hours. Despite two water bottles and a food break I still managed to lose three pounds. Today I'm not as sore as I expected to be, perhaps because I started yesterday afternoon with 800 mg of ibuprofen and chugged another 1200 over the next eight hours around the test. But I don't have any endurance and when I sit down I'm not much interested in getting back up...

Sweet!!! My son is testing for his brown in 3 months, I think he is ready. He has been in tae kwon do for 4 years, but he has trouble regularly going when his sports are in session (basketball, baseball, football). Usually he has 5 weeks or so between sports, when he crams as many karate classes as he can in. He practices some at home, but has NO interest in tournaments, even though his forms are solid and he has wicked kicks.......

If he gets his black belt by 12, I'm good with it. He'll probably make it by 11..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #917

Congrats to you and your daughter, Nords. The memories will definitely be priceless!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #918
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stepped into the shower after exercising at the gym. I was vigorously shaking a new bottle of shampoo when the bottle slipped from my fingers and hit the family jewels. You could hear my scream in the next county. We live in a dangerous world.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #919
Give me a forum ...

Boy what a beautiful day today. Mid 60's and plenty of sun. Played golf and won money!! Will wear shorts tomorrow on the course as temps will be in the 70's. Stocks are up.......just a great day to be alive.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #920
Give me a forum ...

Worked at the court, went to Target and bought some "paint" for my lips. Came home, checked the forum, took a nap and dreamed about Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs guy). Woke up, Mike wasn't here so I got out of bed and now I'm trying to figure out what to do the rest of the day.