what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took some prints of the cat photos over to my friend's house and then we went up to Frederick airport to work on his Pitts for a short while. He finally got the special-order propeller he ordered two years ago and can return the one he borrowed to fly in the meanwhile.

An unusual feature of this homebuilt is the inverted hour meter. It's connected via a mercury switch so it only records time during negative-g flight. It's the only airplane anyone has ever seen that has this.

Oh, and Metlife has their advertising blimp visiting the airport.

Attachments

• Frederick_airport-1.jpg
    Frederick_airport-1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 4
  • Frederick_airport-3.jpg
    Frederick_airport-3.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Frederick_airport-2.jpg
    Frederick_airport-2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 6
I just returned from spending ten days on a lake in Pa. with my SO, my daughter and my two grandchildren . It was fun but after a week with a five and one year old I am exhausted. That combined with dragging luggage through huge airports has me heading to my recliner for some R&R.

An unusual feature of this homebuilt is the inverted hour meter. It's connected via a mercury switch so it only records time during negative-g flight. It's the only airplane anyone has ever seen that has this.

Is the inverted hour meter more for the novelty impact or is it an indication of some kind of airframe wear or checkpoint? Impressive prop!

Lately, DH and I have been running around in circles.
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif

If there is a drawback to retirement, it would be having time to think about lifestyle changes. We are considering moving to another state. ...or doing some renovations on our house, or increasing our travel budget.... Thinking outside the box is wearing me out.

I think we've been watching too much HGTV.

Perhaps I should just take out my trusty pistol and shoot the tv.

I think we've been watching too much HGTV.
Agree, HGTV is training in being dissatisfied. A lot of mostly young couples with absurd "needs". Anyone shopping around here with these needs would look a long time, or need a large amount of money, or likely both.

Forget it, take up Monopoly instead.

Ha

Remembered to log on to say hello :greetings10:

It's been raining cats and dogs and goldfish here...my area is fine but to the east of me is completely flooded (Mohawk Valley) and in a declared state of emergency. I went to bilge my power boat a few days ago and found 4 inches of water in the hold. :(
No damage except it was groddy and slimy down there. :sick:
A NYS police helicopter was circling over the lake, trying to find a missing boater. He went fishing Tuesday, then an intense storm cell hit, and he was reported missing that night when his empty pontoon boat washed ashore. I have not heard any more news since, but it is very sobering to watch the LE water rescue personnel setting floating markers and sending a diver down into 35-50 feet of water in search of...well you know.

Shudder...

Mr B and I have been hanging out inside in the air conditioning. Too bleedin' hot out there! We are destined to have a rainy 4th of July, so we decided to treat ourselves to clams and king crab legs instead of cooking outside. I checked the sale flyer for this week. Nice deals ! :D

Last edited:
Just watched the Confederation Cup final. What a great match! Brazil dominated, and the Spanish must feel like they were hit with a sledgehammer.

Is the inverted hour meter more for the novelty impact or is it an indication of some kind of airframe wear or checkpoint? Impressive prop!

It's a novelty item. Understand that building an airplane is a years-long project and a lot of time is spent dreaming of the result, in this case aerobatics. And the builder's personality has been known on occasion to be, shall we say, "half a bubble off center".

Okay, sometimes he's downright quirky.:LOL:

wow been a while since i posted here but today i didn't do anything... why? because I can... still traveling in an RV all over this land and have been doing so since i retired march 2011... in Michigan now...

Celebrated Canada Day with friends: a barbecue, a most entertaining concert and some awesome fireworks seen from a great vantage point. Lots of fun!

Again, as I read your posts I am green with envy. I am 5 months away from posting lovely comments about my free days! But today I have my monthly meeting with my boss and I am now at the bs bucket overflowing and getting all over my shoes with her!

So I salute you and long to be among your brethren.

Yesterday and this morning I read the second novel that Frank has written during the 3+ years since we retired. He doesn't want to publish them, or even allow anyone other than me to read them. At least, not yet.

His books are the first two in a detective series set in New Orleans, and they are by far the most riveting and best detective stories I have ever read. So, it is pretty cool that he is letting me read them.

This one is over 250 pages long. I don't know where he gets all of this from! Fascinating stuff.

I always intended to write a book during retirement, but haven't even started. Meanwhile he wrote two. :D Guess some of us never know how retirement will shape up for us, until we are retired.

We are having a heat wave in San Francisco so I went Ocean Beach. Very nice two hours of warmth and sunshine. That's about as good as it gets at the beach in SF.

Thanks to being ER'd I went from 10am - 2pm to dodged the traffic due to the transit strike.

Foster puppy continues to wear us out. Had some friends over so it was nice for someone else to occupy him for a while and good chance for him to meet new people.

img_1335541_0_6884000870973c0133808d190a9ccaa0.jpg

Foster puppy continues to wear us out. Had some friends over so it was nice for someone else to occupy him for a while and good chance for him to meet new people.

Aaahhh! :smitten:

I commend you for all the hard work and energy you are giving to ensure this beautiful little guy has a wonderful start in life!

That puppy is so darn cute! If I didn't already have two dogs and two cats I would scoop him up!

Drove back from a week of visiting family. Spent the first half with my relatives in Illinois and the second half with DH family in Indy. Great time, but glad to be home.

I stopped by the grocer to pick up a few things to put on the grill tomorrow. All kinds of fresh fruit there, I couldn't resist, so I picked up the ingredients for some sangria. After lunch I cleaned, cut and prepped everything, it will macerate tonight and we will have our first summer sangria tomorrow.

While killing time in a Barnes & Noble as DW shopped for 'important stuff' at a nearby Hancock Fabrics, I ran across their display of Nook tablets. I had forgotten the announcement in May that B&N had opened the Nook to Google Play, turning it from what was primarily an e-reader into a 'real' android tablet. I was impressed by the Nook HD+ 9 inch tablet, especialy with the $149 price tag.

I have been lusting after an android tablet for some time but too cheap to spring for a well-known brand and leery of the no-name bargain variety. After returning home and doing a little research to confirm I could download the Kindle e-reader app and read all my Kindle books on the Nook, I was sold - order placed. My trusty first generation Kindle hand-me-down has served me well, but it is time to put it out to pasture.

If it has anywhere near the functionality of an android tablet it is an amazing price for online access.

Saturday night was our 40th High School reunion. Our graduating class (we were in high school together) had almost 1000 students so we usually get a pretty good turnout for these things. It was a very nice event held at a lovely country club with about 250-300 including some spouses or significant others.

Nice to see old friends and classmates. I was proud to tell friends that DH is retired for 3 years. Many asked him "what do you do all day?" He talked about his bicycling, gardening and his reduced stress life.

The noise level in the dining room was painful, with a band playing and people trying to talk. I thought it was just me, but when we looked for a quieter area to carry on conversations I found a lot of other people doing the same thing.

Most people looked pretty good for 58. I enjoyed hearing about friends who have new grandchildren and how everyone's lives have progressed. We also checked up on how everyone's parents are managing. There was a nice display table showing the names and pictures of 47 classmates who have died. Some of these I had known about, some were more recent.

Fun time and I look forward to the next one in 10 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom