Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #9921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Not sure if this will be funny to you, but last night at a gig, we were getting ready to play, and someone in the audience (dark area), said "Hi, Al -- you called?" I thought he was talking to me, and started responding but he was on a cell phone.

I was recording the gig, so I have it:

CellPhoneCall.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
Classic! My real name is a very common one, so this sort of thing happens fairly often to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #9922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was going to go shopping for new furniture today, but it's raining. Don't want to be out in that mess on a Saturday.

Found a chart showing cat's years in human years. Our cat is 20 years old...in human years she's 96. Tootsie doesn't play as much as she did as a kitten, but she still spins like a top during play time.

She gets whatever she wants...such a pampered kitty. I think she deserves it.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #9923

We had a good time yesterday despite the two-hour drive each way. Spent some time with DW's grandnieces at their grandparent's place in PA.

The playhouse was $10 at a yard sale. The seller said "his kids had a good time with it, they've outgrown it, pass it on". A good outlook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA visit-106March 10, 2012.jpg (116.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #9924

This morning we got up about 7:00 and went for breakfast before heading out of Nashville to continue our trek home from Florida. When got back into southern Illinois, we took a short side trip to an old coal mining town where my great-aunt and great-uncle lived out there final happy years.

I hadn't been there in about 40 years, just a couple years prior to there passing away. I just wanted to look around town and check out their old home and the surrounding neighborhood.

They would be very pleased with the way the new owners have not only taken care of their old home, but also by the beautiful improvement that have been made!

The small downtown area had deteriorated a little, but there are many viable businesses still operating! Both of the depots for the two railroads that run through town have been torn down. And where the old miner's hospital used to be, there is now a new subdivision. Oh, and they still have a very nice Dairy Queen restaurant!!!! I always loved going there as a kid!

I took a few pix for my scrapbook, and then we headed back over to the Interstate to continue on to our hotel for our last night on the road!

It's been a very nice day, with a lot of great memories of days gone by!!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #9925

Quote:
Not sure if this will be funny to you, but last night at a gig, we were getting ready to play, and someone in the audience (dark area), said "Hi, Al -- you called?" I thought he was talking to me, and started responding but he was on a cell phone.

I can't count how many times I have responded to someone, with a blue tooth ear thingy talking on their hidden phone.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #9926
Recycles dryer sheets

Posting interest and dividends for income tax and prior year comparison.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #9927
Recycles dryer sheets

"Summerized" the snow-blower, put it away, and declared winter is officially over. Then watched the Spartans and Buckeyes in the Big 10 Tourny...go Green!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #9928

Replaced my sprinkler controller box myself! Last time (in our last house) paid for someone to do it and it cost me $275.

Today it cost me $59.95 for the device and about 15 minutes of my time. It was incredibly rewarding as I tested each zone and they all worked perfectly!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #9929
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I can't count how many times I have responded to someone, with a blue tooth ear thingy talking on their hidden phone.
Funny! I've done that numerous times when people walk by, talking to the air and saying things like "HI, How are ya!", or "Wanna meet for lunch?" and I look at 'em and say "I'm fine, how are you?", or "Sure, it's your turn to buy, right?"

I don't do that if they look to be big enough to be a Chicago Bears linebacker, nor small enough to want to carry a gun for protection.

-ERD50
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #9930
Moderator Emeritus

We've been holed up in our house all weekend, in mortal peril from hailstones and tornadoes.

Well, maybe not in peril. But certainly a little paranoid.

I've been writing website copy for a friend. 10 beautiful products to be described in excruciating SEO keyword detail. Halfway done with the first and about a quarter of the way into the second. 20 minutes a day. The first one is hopefully the hardest, after that they should go more quickly.

Working up a second writing project. A blogger friend is starting a "call to action" about Roth IRAs. If you're a personal-finance blogger then you're invited to post on the subject in just two more weeks: Let’s Start a Movement (Roth IRA Style)
I plan to post about the process of starting a Roth IRA for your kid. Ironically it was almost seven years ago when Bob Clyatt faxed me an article on the same subject, and shortly after that we started one for our daughter.
If you're not planning to blog about it yourself then let me know what you'd like to see in my post.

Our college daughter reports that she shot herself down in flames on her engineering statics test. Classic case of test anxiety, which she's exceedingly familiar with, but still struggles to overcome. As a parent and a guy, I always have trouble figuring out when she's just venting, whether she's letting me know that she's about to drop out of college to become a shift worker at a Taco Bell, or whether she's asking me to tutor her through the problem-solving process (again). Luckily she's too stubborn & persistent to know when to stop beating her head against a brick wall. (I think she gets that from her mother.) I've told her that nuclear power school will seem pretty straightforward after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
You're just hoping that the earpiece is connected to a phone. But there's really no way to tell whether the phone is even turned on, is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Replaced my sprinkler controller box myself! Last time (in our last house) paid for someone to do it and it cost me $275.
You're giving me a bad case of "Dang, I could SO do that job." Now I'm going to have to go surfing until that feeling dies off...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #9931

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim747 View Post
"Summerized" the snow-blower, put it away, and declared winter is officially over.
I didn't have to do that this year. Not enough snow to even use it!

So it will just stay in hibernation until next year.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #9932

After a nice relaxing breakfast this morning at our hotel, I drove the last 270 miles home from our vacation. Good weather, very light traffic, and satellite radio made for an enjoyable ride!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #9933
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking at alternatives to the ripoff I've been enduring with money held in TREXX.
The 3 yr T-note was auctioned today with a high yield of 0.456%.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #9934
Give me a forum ...

Went for a short snowmobile ride this morning. Riding was good overall but thin in some places and some icy corners in the softwoods. May be the last ride for the season as we expect temps in the 50-60s over the next few days and trails are already closed in the lower elevations. I put the sleds on the trailer so I don't have to run them over the lawn if the snow does melt.

Worked on stripping the finish off a couple doors to a cabinet that I am refinishing that will go in the powder room. Hopefully I can progress that tomorrow.

Also took a nice nap in the afternoon - trying to get over a minor cold.

Naps are definitely underrated.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #9935
Moderator Emeritus

Monthly Costco run, with my handy dandy credit card rebate check in hand. Heh... The rebate covered the shopping run and I got... significant... change back. :-)

Ground through TurboTax with all my forms and data in hand. Eccch. Especially when it pops up an essay question like "Explain where the 2010 Foreign Tax Credit Carryover came from." I dunno... From somewhere inside this infernal software, I assume.

While I owe taxes this year, the first time since 2008 that I've had to pay federal taxes, the change from Costco should cover it. Yah, effective tax rate of well under one percent. Good grief. I'm one of The Little People. Leona Helmsley probably won't speak to me now, even if I use the good Ouija board...
Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #9936
Moderator Emeritus

W2R has scared the heck out of me with her relentless stock-market cheerleading (Wh... Wh.... Wh(eee!)... Party like it's 1929) so I sold it all.

Well, not quite.

Actually I just rebalanced by selling a little Berkshire Hathaway to buy an international ETF (EFV). Both were at the opposite ends of our asset-allocation bands. I don't think this tweak is going to cause either Whitney Tilson or Doug Kass to go nuts. I suspect I'll be selling more Berkshire Hathaway after the May annual meeting, when the analysts realize how much cash the company is spewing. I'll just keep selling call options to the hedgers until the share price forces the rebalance.

I also sold my Dad's final individual stock from his portfolio. It was the last tranche of his shares of Hanover Insurance which he received when they demutualized in 1996. I sold them for asset-allocation considerations, not fundamental valuation, because I've finished his 2011 tax returns and have a better tax handle on how much to liquidate this year. His long-term cap gains are measured in decades, not years, and he doesn't have any more losers to offset the gainers. He doesn't need any single-stock risk in his portfolio, and I'm also whittling down the expensive mutual funds like Fidelity OTC (FOCPX).

A year ago he was 85/15 equities/bonds. I'm moving him to about 25/25/50 stock/bonds/cash. He'll be there in about another year unless W2R goes from "Wh...whe..." to "Yee-haw!" and inspires me to move faster.

I'm also enjoying the heck out of doing our tax returns. Today I learned that TreasuryDirect has an online 1099-INT for the sale of education I bonds held electronically. What I didn't know (until it was almost too late!) was that sales of paper education EE bonds converted to electronic EE bonds are recorded on a separate 1099-INT that's hidden in a different section of the TreasuryDirect account. If you never converted paper bonds to electronic ones then you probably never see this issue. If you have 1099s mailed in hardcopy to you then you probably never see this issue. But it took me a long time to notice that the first online 1099-INT I found seemed to be all I bonds and no EE bonds. I would've caught it before I filed. Sure.

Now TurboTax is trying to persuade me to not exempt the education bond interest until after I do the college tax credits. If I max out the credits and have any expenses left over then I can go back and exempt the education bond interest. Simple, no?

Both our daughter and me will be really happy when college is finished and she's off the payroll!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #9937
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
W2R has scared the heck out of me with her relentless stock-market cheerleading (Wh... Wh.... Wh(eee!)... Party like it's 1929) so I sold it all.

Well, not quite.
Good! (whew!) All you're supposed to do is and think about rebalancing to take some profits at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Actually I just rebalanced
Like that.

Quote:
A year ago he was 85/15 equities/bonds. I'm moving to about 25/25/50 stock/bonds/cash. I'll be there in about another year unless W2R goes from "Wh...whe..." to "Yee-haw!" and inspires me to move faster.
I'll try to reform

Quote:
I'm also enjoying the heck out of doing our tax returns.
My sympathies! I did mine early this year since I wasn't expecting to pay, but we just picked up TurboTax for Frank tonight. I'm so glad to be done with it for another year.

BTW, I saw footage on national news of the tornados which hit Lanikai beach a few days ago (which were among those you mentioned in a prior post). Wow! What an unusual event. I grew up less than a mile down the beach, and don't recall any tornados during that time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #9938
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
BTW, I saw footage on national news of the tornados which hit Lanikai beach a few days ago (which were among those you mentioned in a prior post). Wow! What an unusual event. I grew up less than a mile down the beach, and don't recall any tornados during that time.
We've had two episodes of significant hail over there, and the tornado did some no-foolin' damage.

National Weather Service says there is no recorded history of any hail in Hawaii before this (let alone twice) and no substantiated tornado reports before this either.

You can tell that we Hawaii residents have no experience with tornadoes when someone's first thought is "Hey, wot dat! Eh, brah, hol' ma beer while I get one video camera!!"

It's driving our daughter nuts. Somehow she feels as if she should be here to share the excitement. But then she missed Hawaii's last hurricane landfall by 50 days, so she probably finds this more thrilling than scary.

I don't think it's going to make Lanikai real estate more affordable, but it's sure going to make the Secret Service nervous next Christmas!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #9939
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You can tell that we Hawaii residents have no experience with tornadoes when someone's first thought is "Hey, wot dat! Eh, brah, hol' ma beer while I get one video camera!!"
Hilarious! And exactly true too, I would suspect.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #9940
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus
Went to a new Mexican restaurant with DW...watched harp videos on YouTube. Yes. It's true.
Search for Edmar Castaneda. Awesome Venezuelan harp player.