what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made an omelet for breakfast, read the newspaper, went out on the motorcycle to pick up a prescription and since the weather was nice that took about an hour and half meandering around, ate a salad for lunch and took a two-hour afternoon nap. Putted around the house, watched an hour-long online video about portrait retouching, sat on the back porch with a glass of wine. Or maybe it was two.

Nice day.

Two hours of figure skating on perfect ice, and no one else on it. Pure luxury. Then a cup fo Java.

Got home swapped into grungies, swept the chimney. Ready for the winter, will light off stove next cold day. Scheduled for later next week by NWS.

Completed a 6 week (1 afternoon per) course on caring for caretakers.

Woke up early, had free breakfast at hotel, accompanied friend to colonoscopy. Afterward took hotel shuttle to great restaurant (Cafe Don Jose), had much food and drink, Dry Sack for dessert.

Went to an antique truck show in Winchester, VA. It is amazing what lengths guys will go to restore a truck. The green '56 Ford pickup is the one used in the Symbicort commercial and looks like it was delivered yesterday.

And I bought a ticket for the restored tractor. Don't have a clue as to what I would actually do with it if I win it. Plow up the back yard and plant soybeans?

Attachments

• 2013_Winchester_truck_show-1.jpg
    2013_Winchester_truck_show-1.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2013_Winchester_truck_show-3.jpg
    2013_Winchester_truck_show-3.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013_Winchester_truck_show-4.jpg
    2013_Winchester_truck_show-4.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 3
Retirement physical

Eye doc for checkup in advance of retirement date of 12/31.. All is well , but prob 3-5 years away from cataract surgery..

Went to an antique truck show in Winchester, VA. It is amazing what lengths guys will go to restore a truck. The green '56 Ford pickup is the one used in the Symbicort commercial and looks like it was delivered yesterday.

Nice truck. When I was in high school, my dad had a '55 - black with red interior. I would love to have one of my own.

watched asphalt milling and paving of our street. fascinating to watch this huge beast do its thing. the machine looked something like this picture I downloaded from wikipedia.
RX-700.jpg

Turned on the furnace for the first time this fall. Temp. in the house was down to 58 degrees which is a bit cold for me.

Went with DW to see Blue Jasmine, Woody Allen's latest.

Ooh, my dad went with mom to see that. He was not a fan.
Your folks? All of a sudden I feel so much older...:LOL:

Yes, probably not the best option for moviegoers unless they are committed Allen fans.

Last edited:
Your folks? All of a sudden I feel so much older...:LOL:

Yes, probably not the best option for moviegoers unless they are committed Allen fans.

Mom is. Not Dad, though.
Well, you aren't quite as old, maybe... But at least you probably don't have an AOL address, like a friend of mine who insists I'm the only person who mocks him for it. I told him other people are just more polite!

Mom is. Not Dad, though.
Well, you aren't quite as old, maybe... But at least you probably don't have an AOL address, like a friend of mine who insists I'm the only person who mocks him for it. I told him other people are just more polite!
Well, not a fan explains why he didn't care for the film. We are, but not hardcore. Glad we went, but wouldn't go again.

And regarding that other thing, AOL? Never have, never would. I was a Prodigy user for a short time waaaaaay back in the day. In fact, that's where I found my first user groups (editorial note for the yutes - the user group was the stone age predecessor of the social network). One advantage of spending long periods of time outside the US and moving around so much was never getting stuck on legacy systems. 'til now, at least. :)

Upgraded to iO7 on the iPad and iPhone. I usually wait until a new OS is more stable, not sure why I didn't this time around. Should have, my setting are all messed up, no matter what I do I can't stay logged into any site. Good thing I haven't upgraded DW's phone yet...

Yesterday we had our one-car garage dismantled in anticipation of replacing it with a new two-car garage. DW had a garage sale back in June - literally. In addition to the typical garage sale items she put a sign on the garage "Free garage" and a local contractor who came to the garage sale that day inquired about it. We told him we couldn't proceed until we got our variance for the permit, which we ultimately did.

He and three other guys showed up about 1 pm with two big pickups and flat-bed trailers. They originally thought they could take the roof in 3-4 foot sections but it was too heavy to handle on ladders so they popped the plywood off the roof and took off the trusses and then took each of the four walls. They drove away about 4:30 pm.

It is a win-win in that he plans to reconstruct the building for a much bigger sugarshack than what he has now and I saved ~$800 (or more) that it would have cost me to have it torn down and hauled away. Plus, we are glad that somone is getting some more use out of it rather than it going into the landfill. There were some shingles and small boards to clean up after they left but only one trash barrel so it was much better than I anticipated.

Upgraded to iO7 on the iPad and iPhone. I usually wait until a new OS is more stable, not sure why I didn't this time around. Should have, my setting are all messed up, no matter what I do I can't stay logged into any site. Good thing I haven't upgraded DW's phone yet...

Well, you're just going to have to put me on "ignore" again. :)

Back from 4 days at the lake. Perfect weather. Finished with the fixin' up for this season, so spent the time biking and canoeing. Amazing place... 43 miles of road, 17 miles of trail, and 6000 campsites. Almost no one there this week. 185 sites on my lake, and only 3 occupied. .
The hummers are busy fueling up for the trip to Texas.. Counted 8 (if you can count hummers in flight) fighting for my feeders. Geese are beginning to arrive. My 3 residents, are so used to me being around, they don't move until I chase them. They fiercely defend my 110 ft of waterfront from the coming flocks.. usually about 5000 geese. Flocks of starlings have been sweeping through.
No internet, no neighbors. Have been watching the dredging project on the lake. About 1 mile of 12" pipe... 60 yards of "bottom" per hour. The guys that are doing the Dredge, just came back from deepening a ship canal in the Bahamas.

Well, you're just going to have to put me on "ignore" again. :)
Dang. How could you tell? :LOL:

Got some of the settings fixed. One thing about computers, SW, updates and such. You can never say you you're bored and have nothing to do.

Dang. How could you tell? :LOL: Got some of the settings fixed. One thing about computers, SW, updates and such. You can never say you you're bored and have nothing to do.

Man, that's true. This new iPod is so tall it's unbalanced. It keeps falling out of my hand! Couple that with iOS7 and there's a problem :(

I upgraded to iOS7.2 today, which includes bug fixes for iOS7.0. No problems on iPad (me) or iPod Touch (DW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom