what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a federal employee home for the 2nd day on furlough, not getting paid. I sat around all day watching tv, eating, surfing and doing nothing meaningful. Tomorrow....think I'll get a flu shot, a haircut, maybe catch a movie.

I'm a federal employee home for the 2nd day on furlough, not getting paid. I sat around all day watching tv, eating, surfing and doing nothing meaningful. Tomorrow....think I'll get a flu shot, a haircut, maybe catch a movie.
Think of it as training for retirement. :LOL:

I certainly hope that you and all the federal employees going through this will receive back pay when the situation is resolved. :(

Finished the garden trellis - just in time to store it for the winter

img_1363525_0_0a1344333c0f72e0c21d70650b48f250.jpg

We attended our first Rumba lesson tonight. My DD (24 yrs old) and her DH (26 yrs old) signed up this afternoon and were very insistent that we needed to do it with them. DD said she heard us saying we were going to take dance lessons for years and never did. I told her that I am trying to let my hair go grey and that I gained weight and I did not feel like trying to do sexy dance moves. She would not take no as an answer. I am so glad that she was insistent, as we had fun and I am now looking forward to the next class. If I had stayed home, I would have either watched TV or been in front of the computer, so at least I exercised a little. Hopefully, it will get me back to exercising more and laying off the junk food.

DH and I helped our daughter finish painting her house. If it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, we'll hang gutter and install some trim. These two old folks are beat.

Subbed for a 6th grade Science teacher today. Taught (and re-learned) about the layers of the atmosphere. Had a great time. Many of the kids know me from other of their classes for which I have subbed. They are happy to see me which is a good thing!

The teacher is a peach because she is organized and her kids are well-disciplined. She sent me the lesson several days ago so I could be familiar with the material. The threat of a referral if the sub turned in their name didn't hurt either! She is on some sort of committee so I will be supporting her all year long.

Still working along on the back porch/deck cleaning, almost done with that. I only work on it for an hour or two in the early AM before the sunlight heats things up and the stuff dries before it has a chance to work. After that is the weather sealing, clean and replace the screens and I'll be done.

At the rate I'm going this will take about a week but being retired I'm not in a rush.

DH and i just returned for a two day trip to Eureka Springs. A Corvette Weekend was beginning and Corvettes were everywhere.

We visited Quigley Castle. Fascinating story of a woman who wanted to build a house completely out of rocks, limestone, shells, etc. and lumber she and her husband had collected. Her husband wanted to wait to build, until glass was not being rationed so they could put in windows. One day, while her husband was at work, she and her children moved all their belongings into the chicken coop and tore down their house. When her husband came home, that part was finished. The next day he and some relatives started on the new house. They used fabric to cover the window frames in the new house for two years - until glass was available.

The inside plants on three sides of the house grow to the the top and are the original ones planted by Mrs. Quigley.

17695-albums155-picture1096.jpg

We were given tickets to attend today's college football game in our town. This is a photo of their football field. Perhaps you can figure out the school's "colors". Having lived in this town over 30 years, we have only attended one football game there. :)yawn:). I am hoping for decent people watching.

17695-albums166-picture1098.jpg

DW and I spend a 3 day weekend camping in our small trailer. I'm the more enthusiastic camper, but I was amused by her observation that camping in the state parks is kind of like temporarily moving into a trailer park - a pickup with a couple of old cars jammed onto every site, loose, barking dogs, and card playing, beer drinkin' good ole boys whooping it up late into the night.

Maybe I need to pick the camp grounds more carefully. :blush:

DW and I spend a 3 day weekend camping in our small trailer. [... snip ...]

Maybe I need to pick the camp grounds more carefully. :blush:

Could you go camping on weekdays? That's what DH & I do. BIG difference, esp now that school's back in session. We'll sometimes have a campground nearly all to ourselves. :dance:

We plan to go camp the middle of this week at Big Basin, a beautiful state park in the hills above Santa Cruz. Hopefully there won't be an influx of campers turned away from the national parks, but I kind of doubt it, the national parks in CA are pretty far away from the SF bay & Santa Cruz areas -- most of the campgrounds around here are in state or county parklands.

Very quiet day... cool, damp... lit the gas fireplace for the first time, so fall is officially here.
Caught up... on everything, so drifted over to Mr. Money Mustache and read about circles of concern and circles of control, and have decided to review and redo my 'philosophy of life'.
DW recognized before I did, that managing the waking hours to best advantage comes from setting up those little compartments of time, into the can-do's and the can't-do's... the real key to Happy.
Ergo... not to worry about the bumper to bumper "kiss" in the parking lot and the 2 inch scratch that cost $732.31 to repair. Insurance Co. paid... no increase to our rates, and all's right with the world.

Watched the rain this morning. Went skating - for the 6th time now out of 10 skating events, I had the perfect ice all to myself. Spoiled rotten.

My favorite lake's water level was lowered almost 20 feet. At one end a road crossses the lake via an old bridge. Well, the bridge is being demolished to make way for a new one, the lake was lowered to allow for abutment work. Thus kayaking is finished for the season, can't get to the water, lots of mud flats an trashy water.

Parked the kayak for the winter on wall brackets in the garage. Boohoo, one favorite pass time is over until next spring.

Could you go camping on weekdays? That's what DH & I do. BIG difference, esp now that school's back in session. We'll sometimes have a campground nearly all to ourselves. :dance:

We plan to go camp the middle of this week at Big Basin, a beautiful state park in the hills above Santa Cruz. Hopefully there won't be an influx of campers turned away from the national parks, but I kind of doubt it, the national parks in CA are pretty far away from the SF bay & Santa Cruz areas -- most of the campgrounds around here are in state or county parklands.
Many years ago I spent a summer as a park ranger at a state park close to my home. It struck me as strange the number of people that would park their trailer and then never leave it for the entire weekend. Sunday night they would pack up and leave the park. It was usually so crowded that they might as well have been parked in the middle of a city.

It is a spectacularly beautiful day in New Orleans, sunny, blue skies, and 75. :D October is our best month.

After a week of sitting and doing nothing (after my fall last Monday), I finally felt steady enough to want to go to the gym today. The doctor doesn't want me to drive yet, but didn't say anything about the gym.

I didn't do much there. All the machines were moved around which was perfect for me, because I could spend some time just strolling slowly around looking to see where everything is now. I talked to my friends. Then I did a very light workout on the seated elliptical (at level 1!) for 8 minutes. I didn't want to do anything strenuous yet, but I think that was about my speed in my present state.

Then we went to a favorite mom'n'pop Italian restaurant and split a grilled chicken sandwich on hot, fresh French bread. Mmmm. Life is good and I am glad that I am starting to recover a little more from that blow on the head when I fell.

blew the leaves off the back deck and patio....encountered a wasp nest that I've gassed a couple of times this summer already. Poked around it and more stragglers came out. They were none to happy! Guess I'll have to gas them again after sundown!

Another hot day in San Francisco del Sol. I am stewing in my 85°F apartment (little to no wind to cool things down). I made some iced tea this afternoon and walked along the bay to try and stay cool.

Just came across an old note that I had left on our community website, 15 years ago July 1998, and had completely forgotten. Strange to see how little has changed... A little nostalgia about what I did on 'that' day....:blush:

Attachments

• Went Out... Did Nothing.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Many years ago I spent a summer as a park ranger at a state park close to my home. It struck me as strange the number of people that would park their trailer and then never leave it for the entire weekend. Sunday night they would pack up and leave the park. It was usually so crowded that they might as well have been parked in the middle of a city.
I see a lot of this, too. My favorite of course, are those that start a generator, go inside and never come out. Enjoy your campfire and view of the stars. :mad:

Add me to the list to say so sorry about your 'adventure' and pleased you will be going to see your doc. :flowers:

In the meantime, if anyone stares at you because of your boo boos, look 'em in the eye and say....'you should see the other chick'.

smiley-sport010.gif

Why did I read that as "boob boobs"? :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom