Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #10261
Administrator

I took four long and delightful hot showers, washed my hair, and ran the dishwasher and washing machine.... and all day I have had such a big smile on my face, that I thought it might just split in half. Didn't run out of hot water, either.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #10262
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I knew I was getting close on the rear brake pads (it's been at least 4 years). The service guy said I was at minimum and recommended replacement. At least there was a special going on. Yeah right! Rotors still in good shape.
Alternators are pricey, but at least brake pads are cheap. I did the rears on my wife's Murano a few years ago at 65K for $22, and the fronts cost me a whopping $25. Now at 99K, the original rotors are still fine, and the pads I put on still have lots of life left in them. Gotta love Nissans.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #10263
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I took four long hot showers...
Thank you!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #10264
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today I got a new hot water heater installed
Why do you need to heat your hot water?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #10265
Moderator Emeritus

Just came back from the dentist for some crown work. Gotta go back in 2 weeks to have the permanent crown put in. Yuck.

I will be spending the rest of the day shopping. We have to furnish our new apartment and I have to find a new coffee table, a bunch of lamps, some new bedding, and a new slipcover for the sofa. DW's getting some pocket money for the relocation, and I am going to blow it!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #10266
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Why do you need to heat your hot water?
Good point! It should be called a cold water heater, not a hot water heater.

Whatever it is, I am sure enjoying having one that works, at last.

Oh, and oldphd, you're welcome! I smell like a rose now, thankyouverymuch. Before my water heater was (finally) replaced, I was taking daily cold water showers - - but they weren't very comfortable or long (even in the summer heat).

It was almost as bad as roughing it. I know lots of people love camping way out where a stream is their only water source, but I am such a city girl. I love having hot and cold running water and other functional amenities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #10267
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dropped my sister off at her interview. She is a graphic artist who lives in Seattle and she has been unemployed for a couple of years. She has been doing freelance work and barely squeaking by with help from my mom.

While visiting us in the Tampa Bay area (mom's treat), sis decided to submit a couple of job applications. Turns out one of the companies is where a close friend works in HR! My friend was happy to make some calls and get sis' resume moved to the top of the stack and let the hiring manager know sis will be in town for another week (we extended her trip on friend's advice).

Out to Macy's to get an interview suit which happened to be on sale! Sis had already gotten a haircut, her teeth cleaned, and an eye exam with new contacts since those activities are much less expensive here than in Seattle.

The first interview is a 2-hour software skills test. Sis is very talented and has been a pro since she was 16 but the job openings have been few and far between. We are keeping our fingers crossed!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #10268

Just learned that my son's ex-wife was charged with child endangerment and my two grandsons were removed from her house.

My son is on his way over to their other grandma's (where child protective services took them) to pick them up.

This is one of those times that I wish we didn't live on the other side of the country, cause he's going to need help in the coming weeks.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #10269
Give me a forum ...

I dewaxed and cleaned up my surfboard in prep for it's trip to the doctor's. It has some owies that need to be fixed.

Looks nice, huh? If I ever stop surfing, I want to mount it on the wall in the living room. That will be years away, and it will take me that long to convince Lena to let me do it.

SurfboardUnwaxed.jpg
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #10270
Give me a forum ...

Last night, we celebrated Mr B's freedom from studying (schooooool's out for SUMMER). He took 2 exams Wednesday after putting 2 straight days in of constant studying. I went to Sacket's Harbor (Lake Ontario) for 2 days to get out from underfoot and give him complete P&Q in the house.

Today we are watching TV, well at least I am. Mr B is stretched out in the recliner watching the inside of his eyelids.

I received my dwarf peach and plum trees, so I will get them into pots today. I scored four white 5 gallon buckets with handles for $3.29 each at the local hardware store. Much cheaper than buying planting pots anywhere else, and made of much sturdier material.

I dug up 5 blackberry plants (runners gone astray) for a lady friend who makes killer homemade fruit pies. I saw blackberry plants in pots at Lowe's the other day, and was astounded at the $9.99 price tag. I think I can negotiate a free blackberry pie out of this deal.
However, she gave me half a dozen each of dahlia and canna roots last week, so maybe not.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #10271

Spent several hours going through boxes of books that haven't been unpacked yet (need to buy large bookcase) looking for a very nice fossil I found many years ago. My cousin's grandson wants to be a paleontologist and his birthday is tomorrow so he's getting the fossil for a present. Now I'm going to spend awhile checking my eyelids for light leaks.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #10272
Give me a forum ...

Today I am setting up my drummer with Lena's knitting buddy. She'll come by during rehearsal. I hope it goes well. There are great dangers in setting up friends, but I think it may be worth it.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #10273
Dryer sheet aficionado

For the first time in a year, I took a day off from w*rk (without pay ). Treated DW and myself out to a movie last night, today the replacement for our broken refrigerator was delivered and DW went to a Dr's appointment. Other than that I slept all day. I really needed this day of rest. Now I'm only 4 hrs away from having to go to w*rk .

ER cant come soon enough for me..........
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #10274

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Just came back from the dentist for some crown work. Gotta go back in 2 weeks to have the permanent crown put in. Yuck.
I'm having the same thing done next month. Not fun, but it's only the second one in my life and I'm glad I didn't live in an era when dentistry consisted of a pint of Jack Daniel's and a pair of pliers.

Long day yesterday. It started when FIL called and said "I have a little leak in the basement". That usually means the water is ankle-deep and rising so the first reaction here is "Oh *%#$".

It turned out to be not quite that bad but he did have a cracked porcelain toilet tank that was leaking and apparently had been, more slowly, for quite some time. Like years.

Oh well, we were gonna do that bathroom over soon anyway.... So after pulling out the toilet and sink, part of the the floor is rotted and has to be replaced.

DW's brother lives nearby and he's a far better carpenter than I will ever be so he's going to do that part.

The good news is that for the first time FIL apparently realizes that he simply can't live there by himself any longer. So after we get this bathroom done we can put the house up for sale and get him to a continuous-care facility. He's almost to the point where he's going to need assisted living.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #10275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The good news is that for the first time FIL apparently realizes that he simply can't live there by himself any longer. So after we get this bathroom done we can put the house up for sale and get him to a continuous-care facility. He's almost to the point where he's going to need assisted living.
That's huge!
Very glad you got that issue resolved. Now you have some work ahead of you to find a good place for him, but making that transition mentally is the big thing.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #10276
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's huge!
+1

That is a major step. Much better for him and the family for him to come to the decision before a crisis forces it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #10277
Administrator

Quote:
That's huge!
Very glad you got that issue resolved. Now you have some work ahead of you to find a good place for him, but making that transition mentally is the big thing.
+2 That is great to hear, Walt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Spent several hours going through boxes of books that haven't been unpacked yet (need to buy large bookcase)
Believe me, I can relate to this. I finally came to the conclusion that I didn't want to buy enough bookcases to store the 85 boxes of books that I had accumulated by the year 2000. Not only that, but my books had become an albatross and with so many, I couldn't find what I wanted when I wanted it anyway. I still love books but I have now reduced my book collection to about a dozen boxes full, and they fit nicely in two bookcases. From now on, I'll stick to Kindle books as much as I can.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #10278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Just learned that my son's ex-wife was charged with child endangerment and my two grandsons were removed from her house.

My son is on his way over to their other grandma's (where child protective services took them) to pick them up.

This is one of those times that I wish we didn't live on the other side of the country, cause he's going to need help in the coming weeks.
So sorry to hear this. I am glad that your grandson's are now safe. That is the problem with one's children living on the other side of the country. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #10279
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My dishwasher machine died.
I shall mourn.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #10280

Catching up here after visiting my mom in PA this week.

Walt34 - Thanks for the link to Blurb. Haven't run across them before and I'd like to try some more sophisticated photo books than the Kodak/Shutterfly/Snapfish variety.

Today was the first of two days of the remodeled homes tour in our neighborhood - ours is one of the 12 homes on this year's tour. We live in a neighborhood of 1970s-early'80s houses. With many of the original owners moving or passing on, the homes are being updated and remodeled (sometimes quite dramatically). We bought this house in late '09 and moved in 5 months later when the remodel was about 80% complete. We're now about 95% complete so I figured it was time to say "yes" when they asked us to join the tour. They sell tickets for crowd control and security and it sold out at 500 tickets. We had 168 people today in 4 hours and I expect more than that tomorrow. It was great fun telling everyone about the remodel and especially demonstrating my induction cooktop. But I am beat after 4 hours on my feet talking. Reminds me of the days working the exhibit booth at a big conference. But much more fun.

DH is out picking up take-out gourmet tacos for dinner. Yum. I'm having a glass of wine.

Closed Thread