Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #1021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beautiful chest! You are so talented.

Welcome to WV, Dave. I am in Morgantown.

Today my brother called and we talked for 1 1/2 hours. Solved all the problems of the world.

Went to 4 different places looking for a Ginger Wasabi sauce that my DH loves. I think that it came in a gift basket at Christmas and I had already been to 3 other stores looking for it. I finally found it at The Forks of Cheat Lake Winery. Even though I have lived in Morgantown since 1986, I had never been there before, so I had to buy a bottle of their wine along with the 2 jars of Ginger Wasabi sauce. Came home and my sister called and we were on the phone for at least an hour. I had not talked to her since Friday and that is a very long time for us not to talk. I had thrown a turkey breast in the crockpot earlier and fixed some mashed potatoes and a veggie, so we had a very nice meal. After dinner, I came into the computer room and shut the door and my DH was in the family room downstairs. All of a sudden, all h*ll broke loose! We have 5 cats and I could hear running and crashing. I went running out and my DH came running up the stairs. One of the cats had went halfway through the bag handle and was running to try to get the bag off of him. It scared all of the cats. Our oldest and largest male cat gets scared so easily and puffs up and starts making this weird noise and then tries to attack our smallest female cat every time he gets scared. I had to rescue her and put her behind closed doors and then my DH lifted the couch, to get the cat who still had the bag on him, so that we could cut the wine bag off of him. I then went back to the small cat, Tia, who was scared to death, and realized that she was limping badly. At first, we thought that her leg was broken, but she started putting a little bit of weight on it, so I am hoping that it is sprained. I put her in the spare bedroom for the night, along with food, water and a litter box. I will see how she is doing in the morning and decide if I should take her to the vet.

My DD called and told me that her DH received his orders today for the Sea School (Navy) that he put in for and has to report to TX no later than 7/8 and I believe that he will be there for 3 months. He might have to go to another training for 3 additional months after that, so my DD and my dear grandbaby will be moving back home with us while he is gone. DD asked me if I would watch the grandbaby while she drove out with him and then she would fly back. DGB will be 1 the beginning of July. The bad news is we don't have any idea where he will be stationed after his training. He is currently stationed in Bethesda MD and we get to see them every couple of weeks. Daughter is my baby and grandbaby is the only grandbaby, so if he is stationed across country, it looks like I will have a lot of flying in my future and I am definitely not looking forward to the flying part.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #1022
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty day here today. First sunny day we have had in awhile. Golf course was very wet so cart path only. Took the mutt on a 2+ mile walk this afternoon. Boy the pollen is out. The golf course looked hazy from all the pollen falling from the pine trees. Amazing my sinuses were not going ape shat.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #1023

Took care of my grandson today. What a little joy he is, three months old and already talking! Gooo, gooo, ga, ga. Likes watching basketball and oprah on TV.

Also, went for a hike with doggie, interspersed with some sprints. I'm on a new exercise/diet program. Noticed a few pitying looks from the young folks at the chubby old lady trying to run. Oh well. Someday they'll be old too, if they're lucky.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #1024
Give me a forum ...

Ooooooo...I have real big plans today.
Wednesday used to be "Hump Day" while w*rking, i.e. mid-point to TGIF. Now it is Execursion Day.

Need to pick up eye cream order from Avon lady. Cream is of the anti-wrinkle variety. Oops, I said the other "W" word !
Chinese buffet day with friends.
Go to WallyWorld as a favor to dh2b to exchange a composite cable for a component cable. Somebody grabbed the wrong package without reading carefully. The charge will be very steep for this favor.
Get my hair cut if I feel like it.
Return to home base and sink into my recliner due to sheer exhaustion.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #1025
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went downtown where the Mennonite lady sets up her truck to sell food from her family farm.

Bought a steak, chicken wings, bratwurst, eggs, and chicken hearts and gizzards.

Tomorrow: gizzards for breakfast.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #1026
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Tomorrow: gizzards for breakfast.
Squeeze 'em first & let us know what they tell you...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #1027

70 + degrees today. Cut up the rest of my uprooted maple into stove size pieces. Stacked the wood in the woodshed. Planted five forsythia bushes (5' to 6'tall) bought a at Lowe's. It was good to be in the sun all day.
Time for some frosty mug of cheer.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #1028

Hiked along the beach for a couple of hours.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #1029
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday, my new sawmill with all the options was delivered so I played, whoops, worked all afternoon cutting up some cherry and poplar- way better than my manual mill, this one has hydraulics to lift, level, clamp, and turn the log. Your job is to remember what all the knobs and levers do and make sure you don't cut in to the metal supports and clamps- definitely the end of a blade if you do that. The guy who delivered it offered to drive the blade in to a support to make the first nick and get it over with- guess that's like the first door ding on a new car. I declined the offer and will do it myself. I'm already ahead of the last mill as I cut in to the support on the very first log on my first mill- I pointed out the mark to the guy who bought that mill from me when we put it on his truck this morning.

Big disappointment, rain here today so didn't go to the farm where the mill is- left it there because the job I have will take quite a while at the pace I work and no reason to trailer it back and forth although the neighbors here were wanting to check it out.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #1030
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Your job is to remember what all the knobs and levers do and make sure you don't cut in to the metal supports and clamps- definitely the end of a blade if you do that. The guy who delivered it offered to drive the blade in to a support to make the first nick and get it over with- guess that's like the first door ding on a new car. I declined the offer and will do it myself. I'm already ahead of the last mill as I cut in to the support on the very first log on my first mill- I pointed out the mark to the guy who bought that mill from me when we put it on his truck this morning.
Dave- sounds like an exciting purchase. What does a blade cost?

Ha
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #1031
Give me a forum ...

I went outside in brilliant sunshine and beautiful spring weather.
I saw the tippy tops of crocus and tulips emerging in my front garden. I spread out some rather large mouse nests (made from lawn clippings) that were under the snow. No meeses spotted TG.
dh2b is having a crazy time at w*rk lately, trying to cover 2 w*rkloads by himself , so it will be "let him chill out" night tonight. the TLC meter will be cranked up.
I must have something tattooed on my forehead that I am not aware of. I got a call today from a former cow*rker asking me if I was bored and was I interested in "making a lot of money". And just yesterday I had another guy ask me if I wanted to get in on some real estate deals. Huh?
NO and NO.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #1032
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Dave- sounds like an exciting purchase. What does a blade cost?

Ha
About $20 and depending how bad you hit it, it might not be ruined but will be able to be resharpened. When I cut for customers cutting their logs, I charge for the blade if I hit metal in the log, it's my cost if I hit a support. I have been on jobs where I hit metal two or three times- nails holding up old deer stands seems to be the most common thing for me to hit. Sometimes, you can see a black mark in the end of the log that is a metal stain if it's near enough to where it was cut and a metal detector can pick up some metal a couple of inches deep. I used to use a detector on all jobs but stopped because people felt it was a guarantee that there wasn't anything in the log and would be upset if we hit something, now I just let folks take their chances unless it's someone I've known or cut for before.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #1033

Went for a 3.5 mile walk. Did some weights. Went wine tasting. Spent probably too much on wine. Getting ready to grill some chicken and toss back a few glasses
Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #1034
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Squeeze 'em first & let us know what they tell you...
The gizzards tell me the DOW will go up and down.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #1035

Listened to at least 25 different versions of "don't worry, be happy"

Smiled all day.

YouTube is great.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #1036
Give me a forum ...

Mowed lot's of weeds today. Went to the dermatologist for a follow up visit this afternoon. A month ago he removed a squamous cell off my temple. Today he froze the area with a gas gun that felt like a blow torch. Suppose to blister up and peel off. Go back in 6 weeks to see how it heals. He said he might prescribe a cream that also kills the area. So should be good and dead in that area by time he's through.

Tonight made some wheat pancakes. Washing clothes at the moment. Exciting day.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #1037
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Lucky you. I plan to do the same in approximately 109 days (until my retirement day).
We have a foursome going over for the Monday practice round at Augusta.
Will plan a nice course in Augusta on Sunday and Capstone near Tuscaloosa on Tuesday returning.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #1038
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
We have a foursome going over for the Monday practice round at Augusta.
Will plan a nice course in Augusta on Sunday and Capstone near Tuscaloosa on Tuesday returning.
I made the trip last year. We played a course in north AL near Anniston. Silver Lakes which is a Robert Trent Jones course. Have a good trip.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #1039
Give me a forum ...

I've been seeing a bunch of sawmill ads in the banner recently.

Lingerie, lingerie, lingerie, lingerie, thongs, bras, 4 inch heels. All together now!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #1040
Give me a forum ...

Crocus and tulips progress report : 1.5 inches growth in 24 hours.

oh, the little things in life that make me smile.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring2009 009.jpg (762.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Spring2009 010.jpg (545.2 KB, 1 views)