Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #10401
Administrator

After a visit to Cox Cable yesterday, my monthly bill will be decreased by $26.

I dropped HBO/Showtime because, after having these channels for an entire year, I hadn't watched even half of one movie on either one. I always thought it would be great, but I found out that movie channels are not my cup of tea.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #10402
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
DW and I went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. A film about people moving abroad to retire. They all have different reasons but most can't afford to stay where they are. It is a Hollywood view of retirement but still very enjoyable, and a welcome change from the summer action adventure genre.
We saw this movie last week and have to say we loved it. It was nice to see a movie which was an original rather than a remake like every other movie seems to be at the moment. Made us want to go to India asap.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #10403

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
After a visit to Cox Cable yesterday, my monthly bill will be decreased by $26.

I dropped HBO/Showtime because, after having these channels for an entire year, I hadn't watched even half of one movie on either one. I always thought it would be great, but I found out that movie channels are not my cup of tea.
W2R, I remember you saying that you couldn't sit still long enough to watch a movie. Too antsy! Me too.

We joined our country club the other day (the social portion) and last night we went to the pool, enjoyed a swim and listened to the band playing on the deck. Really enjoyed ourselves.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #10404
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
W2R, I remember you saying that you couldn't sit still long enough to watch a movie. Too antsy! Me too.
Yes, you are right and you have a good memory. I don't know why I signed up for them to begin with except that they were free for the first year. From the experience I definitely confirmed that I don't like the premium movie channels. I can also banish the idea of Netflix from my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
We joined our country club the other day (the social portion) and last night we went to the pool, enjoyed a swim and listened to the band playing on the deck. Really enjoyed ourselves.
Great! Glad to hear you are having fun there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #10405
Moderator Emeritus

Today is the 30th anniversary of my college emancipation graduation. I haven't really paid much attention to it because I tend to get the date of my graduation mixed up with the date of my spouse's graduation, and it's not an event that I care to commemorate. But all of my classmates are metaphorically high-fiving each other on Facebook.

I'm just glad that that the statute of limitations has run out.

Nightmares tonight.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #10406
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a lemon, a lime and a fifth of Don Julio. Then I listened to these, and I feel like it was a very nice Saturday morning. I've posted a few of these before but never hurts to repost:

Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #10407
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Today is the 30th anniversary of my college emancipation graduation. I haven't really paid much attention to it because I tend to get the date of my graduation mixed up with the date of my spouse's graduation, and it's not an event that I care to commemorate. But all of my classmates are metaphorically high-fiving each other on Facebook.

I'm just glad that that the statute of limitations has run out.

Nightmares tonight.
40th for me. I was invited. Won't be going.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #10408
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching "Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides" on a Netflix DVD. Fabulous movie!

Since he is not a Johnny Depp fan , Mr B spent half the day putting together the schedule of events/speakers for a huge Memorial Day ceremony tomorrow. My 2 camera batteries are fully charged and I am ready to play photographer.

He is bringing home Chinese takeout - shrimp egg foo yung for me and spareribs for him, with pork frid rice to split between us. Yum yum
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #10409
Full time employment: Posting here.

Made a big pot of lima beans - vegetarian with tomatoes, onions, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder. I'm going to make some cole slaw to go with - plus cornbread. Then I weeded the flower/herb garden. I noticed a bush with lots of dead branches in the wealth area (according to Feng Shui) of our yard, so I clipped it back.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #10410
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
40th for me. I was invited. Won't be going.
This is the anniversary date, and the reunion is in September.

However USNA does it for nearly all of the alumni on the same weekend, so we all end up jammed onto the small Annapolis peninsula with no parking and overpriced... everything. To voluntarily devote an entire weekend to a place that I spent four years desperately trying to escape.

A few years back I volunteered for several hours to help USNA '50 hold their reunion in Waikiki. That was very popular, and it was interesting to see our future hanging out there 32 years in front of us. However I also saw how hard the local '50 alumni worked to put it together, too, so I'm not sure that I'd want to attend a local reunion either.

Facebook has pretty well cured me of reunion curiosity.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #10411
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm watching "Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides" on a Netflix DVD. Fabulous movie!

Since he is not a Johnny Depp fan , Mr B spent half the day putting together the schedule of events/speakers for a huge Memorial Day ceremony tomorrow. My 2 camera batteries are fully charged and I am ready to play photographer.

He is bringing home Chinese takeout - shrimp egg foo yung for me and spareribs for him, with pork frid rice to split between us. Yum yum
DW dragged me to Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp last week. DW no longer gets to pick the movies we go to Wait for the DVD and even then it might be too much unless you get free DVDs.

OTOH, DS and I went to see Battleship last night. Typical summer blockbuster - mindless but entertaining and Brooklyn Decker was very easy on the eyes.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #10412
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW dragged me to Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp last week. DW no longer gets to pick the movies we go to Wait for the DVD and even then it might be too much unless you get free DVDs.....
+1

We went to see this because of the very funny commercials and hey, it's Johnny Depp. It could have been hilarious. But wasn't.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #10413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
+1

We went to see this because of the very funny commercials and hey, it's Johnny Depp. It could have been hilarious. But wasn't.
+1
Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #10414

Hoisted the Flag.

Went for a walk as usual. During the walk I remembered that on the 25th I had been retired 5 years. Big smile.

Enjoying the really quiet neighborhood. today. Seems all are following their herding instincts and went to where there are lots of other people. Ie, vacation, holiday or beach spots.

It really is good to be retired.

No need to join the herds for a three day weekends, lines for everything.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #10415
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading this thread has caused me to realize that sometime in the past few days was the 40th anniversary of my high school graduation...freedom day! That would make it 36 years since college undergrad graduation. High school was a miserable time in my life and best forgotten, but the college years were good.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #10416
Give me a forum ...

Surfing in Oregon. I had my photographer with me, and for once the waves were close to the beach. The waves were small, but I got a lot of good rides.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #10417
Moderator Emeritus

Memorial Day dawn patrol!

The beach looked like tent city. I arrived at 6 AM and there were already a dozen groups camped out for the long day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1662.JPG (381.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1671.JPG (468.2 KB, 10 views)

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #10418
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Memorial Day dawn patrol!

The beach looked like tent city. I arrived at 6 AM and there were already a dozen groups camped out for the long day.
Great photos -- you had a camera with you out on the board?? And that's a new board, or someone else took the photo.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #10419
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Great photos -- you had a camera with you out on the board?? And that's a new board, or someone else took the photo.
I have a Canon PowerShot D10 "waterproof" camera. It comes with a detachable wrist lanyard. I loop the lanyard to the tie on my jams and shoot low to the water, then keep the camera in my pocket. Or I detach the lanyard for some shots and keep muttering "Don't drop the camera, don't drop the camera" while I try to simultaneously shoot and not get hammered by the next wave.

For at least the last five years, I've been paddling out to this dawn patrol scene and thinking "Dang, I have to take a photo of that." I finally did. Since our college daughter's coming home next week, I posted it on Facebook to torment motivate her for the surfing she's going to be doing. She'll recognize how the tufted trees line up at the base of the right-hand hill-- that's one of the bearing lines where we sit to catch the best waves. She knows exactly where that photo was taken, and she can imagine the waves coming in from the right.

I've had this 10'0" Trident epoxy longboard for just over a year. $400 used. The previous owner dropped it off the top of his truck and had a puncture professionally repaired, but otherwise it's in good shape. It's over 15 pounds and my arms are barely long enough to carry it, but it's great in small surf. It turns like... well, like a tanker, but I can still horse it around if I push hard. I'm "this close" to cheater fives on it.

It's also the perfect teaching board. For a beginner it's like launching a barn door, but they can sail it like the QE2.

I like that I can get the board into almost any wave, and unfortunately I'm beginning to prefer the slower pace at which it makes things happen. I still have the 9'0" Rapoza but I feel more comfortable with it in 4'-6' waves and I have trouble catching anything with it in less than 3. My daughter's 7'9" feels like a bouncy potato chip in comparison, but of course that's what I'd have to use when the waves get over eight feet.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #10420
Give me a forum ...

Put the jet ski in the water for the first time this year. The impeller has some dings in it killing the low end so I couldn't pop up on a slalom ski but the top end was still pretty good - 50 to 53 vs 60 normally.