what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I got up to walk with the dog to corner market for cream, it was closed. Read the New York Times, sans cream, ugh. Wrote in my journal about my first month of retirement, did my taxes (yeah, a small but welcome refund), read, made a great chicken from a recipe in the NYT, went to the library (my former job), to pick up more books and chat with my old work friends.

Today waiting for my first Safeway home delivery, including a huge amount of cream so I won't have to face my morning coffee without. Tomorrow meeting a retired friend for lunch at a brewing company that is only open for events. Tomorrow is Food Truck Friday - fried chicken, waffles and beer!

I like this retirement thing!

Went by boat to a restaurant; took our own fish that was cooked there by the staff; called "hook and cook" on the menu.

Went by boat to a restaurant; took our own fish that was cooked there by the staff; called "hook and cook" on the menu.

What fun! I have never noticed that on a menu before, and it's a great idea.

Did some spring cleaning (despite it being about 5 degrees and 4 inches of snow outside) by gathering several boxes for donating to Goodwill.

I tried my good suit on to see if it still fits.

DW has been asked to fill in for her boss at a dressy dinner-auction event for charity and I am the +1. I already dread it. I hate getting all dressed up. I hate socializing with strangers (especially the kind of strangers who attend those events). And I hate the sales pressure at those auctions.:yuk:

I tried my good suit on to see if it still fits.

DW has been asked to fill in for her boss at a dressy dinner-auction event for charity and I am the +1. I already dread it. I hate getting all dressed up. I hate socializing with strangers (especially the kind of strangers who attend those events). And I hate the sales pressure at those auctions.:yuk:

A case of the flu coming on?

Attachments

• sick_guy.JPG
    sick_guy.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 6
Early workout at the gym (early for me now that I'm FIRE'd!), to the trailer dealership to pick up our annual-serviced travel trailer, now off the REI to pickup equipment for an upcoming backpacking trip, then an annual report from our Financial Advisor on how they did (we already know they beat our other team, and our own results by about 2%), then to meet friends from free wine tasting and a nearby wine store, then to Happy Hour for margaritas and inexpensive Friday night eats.

Went out and did some target shooting this morning. I'm learning that I need to use my left eye while shooting right handed. My right eye is weaker. The parts for the washer came in, so I fixed it as mentioned on the repair thread.

Went to my dentist in Progresso, Mexico this morning. Had a dental cleaning Tuesday, he showed me a cracked tooth I have , probably from grinding my teeth. He fixed my cracked tooth, and made me a "retainer" to wear while I'm sleeping. Looks a little like a fitted mouthpiece I wore playing football. Cost? $170 Today. The deep cleaning was $70.

We stopped at a highly rated BBQ on the way home. It was underwhelming.

What I did yesterday, met another retired friend for lunch. My first meet with a retired friend for lunch event! We met at a real brewery for their food truck Friday, had some of their beers and ate chicken and waffles and lounged on couches and chatted. And no rush to get back to work. Delightful!

Went to the movie matinee at the big mall theater. I was shocked and pleased to find that the tickets were only $5.00 each.

We saw Monuments Men, about the group of museum curators and artists who were inducted into the Army near the end of WWII to locate, recover and protect the massive amounts of art that had been methodically looted by the Nazis from the conquered nations of Europe. It was not a "great" movie, but it was interesting and entertaining.

Last edited:
Took my step daughter to the Pitt vs Virginia Tech basketball game. Good quality time together and a Pitt W in double OT.

After having neighbor charge my battery...went on a grocery/cat food/bird food run.

Watched the snow fall. Went out for a walk around the neighborhood around noon. The ice pellets are coming down now with freezing rain predicted later. It's a good weekend to stay inside.

Drove from warm weather to cold weather after a month camping in Florida. Sitting in the truck camper watching Olympics. Home tomorrow to get taxes together, arrange annual withdrawal (depending), then decide where to next.

Pulled my dual 24 inch HD monitors off of the wall (the ones in my home office that were connected to the megacorp laptop until a couple of weeks ago). Bought a graphics adapter on eBay so I can do extended desktop from my personal machine.

After dinner took a steam bath (I put in a Mr Steam a few years ago, but rarely used it...I plan to change that)

Did a 12 mile conditioning hike wearing half-filled backpacks, as we continue to build up endurance for some 'real' upcoming backpack trips, naps, dinner at home, then to a piano concerto at the university up the road.

I love early retirement! Energy AND money . . . doesn't get much better than that.

Made a quad batch of this hot sauce recipe: Salsa De Chiles De Arbol: Red Hot! Recipe - Mexican.Food.com - 297752

I did it pretty much per the recipe, except I roasted the chiles before blending and added one habanero pepper that had been sitting on the shelf in the fridge for a while. The habanero had kinda dehydrated over time, so I rehydrated it (and cooked it) by putting it in some boiling water before using.

This made one pint and a couple of extra tablespoons. It is hotter than hot. My lips are still burning. This pint will probably last a while.

Oh, BTW: I didn't wear no stinkin' gloves, and I left the seeds in. We'll see what happens handling the contacts later.

Last edited:
Youngest kitty woke me at 6:30am for food.
It rained all morning. Cycled to market in afternoon for groceries and for lunch out.

Spent rest of afternoon napping with kitties on top of me. They are like little heaters that run on cat food.

Heaven :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom