Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #10681

Well, I just reduced by one my list of things I want to do in retirement. Went to see Carlos Santana last night. Fantastic show, they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes without a break.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #10682
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, I just reduced by one my list of things I want to do in retirement. Went to see Carlos Santana last night. Fantastic show, they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes without a break.
What fun! I saw them in San Francisco at the Fillmore West sometime around 1969 or 1970, and they played even longer without a break then. Of course, I had a lot more energy 40+ years ago, too!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #10683
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played 9 holes with some friends. Had a nice lunch on the deck at the club. Came home, did a few chores, had a beer and took a nap. Think I'll wash the car now.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #10684
Give me a forum ...

I did a lot of little things today...trimmed yellowed leaves off my tomatoes, harvested some delicious carrots and exactly 5 filet beans, transplanted the next round of pepper plants to bigger containers, made homemade lemon gelato (wow!!!), got stung twice in my hands by little bees that had made a nest in the dirt of my front windowbox, emptied an entire can of hornet spray into the windowbox , watched Mr B grill some Armenian shish-ka-bob (all lamb) that we had marinated for 3 days and ate for dinner, then listened to Soundscapes on the digital cable music channel, wrote a run-on sentence in this post , and am getting ready to watch Red Tails.
No wonder I'm tired.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #10685
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Continuing to declutter in preparation for moving back to Texas. Good news is that two houses on my street have sold in the last month in less than a week so we should be ok with getting the house sold when the time comes even though we're in Nevada.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #10686
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to farmers market and grocery; don't have to leave house again until next week (unless I run out of bird food).
Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #10687
Recycles dryer sheets

Went for a 5 mile run in Central Park, had breakfast and caught up on my favorite blogs, cleaned my apartment and did laundry, went to a Broadway show matinee, took a quick phone call regarding some potential volunteer work, made a great pasta and chicken dinner, watched some TV.

I totally blew off planning my next long weekend out of town, will have to fit it in tomorrow somehow.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #10688
Moderator Emeritus

Busy week so far.

Talked with a friend over the weekend and planned some changes to the blog.

The publisher called to delay the royalty check for a couple weeks. They're having computer problems and he has a family emergency (it's a small firm). The good news is that they have to use a computer to track the sales...

Cleaned up our lanai today. I put the rental property's "spare" microwave oven back up in our attic for the next material problem. I fired up our new Toro two-stroke weedwhacker and had a great time in the back yard. I finally put up the surfboard rack over our back lanai door, so once again I have ample storage room for all our boards. In fact I could probably buy a used 9'6" or 10'6" and put it on the back lanai rack too. Hmm.

Our daughter checked in Monday night-- she's finished her midshipman submarine training. We just picked her up at the airport a few hours ago and she talked non-stop for over two hours. I'm beginning to think she had a good experience.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #10689
Moderator Emeritus

Walked around downtown and did some shopping. Bought some clothes. With coupons and a gift card that I received for opening a new credit card, I got a bunch of good quality stuff for $12. Stuff to keep warm mostly (we walked to the Golden Gate Bridge last week end and we froze our behinds). Had lunch at a neighborhood cafe. Then went to the library to pick up a few books I had on hold.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #10690

Last night went to a taping of the radio program "Wait Wait .. Don't Tell Me". I was unfamiliar with the show, my brother and his wife got the tickets. Absolutely hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable.

Driving into the city at 4:30PM, it took about 2 hours and 5 minutes. Returning home around 10:00 it took 24 minutes. I do not miss rush hour.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #10691

Quote:
Last night went to a taping of the radio program "Wait Wait .. Don't Tell Me". I was unfamiliar with the show, my brother and his wife got the tickets. Absolutely hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable.
Great show - we generally don't catch it live at 10am on Saturday when our NPR station plays it, so we listen to the podcast during dinner one night during the week. Saw it live a few years back and found it hard to believe that a radio show was even better live and in person. But it was.

DH and I had a big day out - went downtown to wait in line for lunch at the hottest barbecue joint in TX, Franklin Barbecue. We got in line at 10 and ate at noon. They closed the line at 11:45 as they had sold out of meat (they take orders while you are in line). Fabulous crusty brisket, tasty moist ribs (a little more fatty than my preferred St. Louis cut, but delicious). They also make all their sauces - the espresso is their signature, but they also had a sweet tomato and a North Carolina-type vinegar sauce. It was worth the wait, although we might wait until winter for our next trip.

Then we went to a fascinating exhibit on the King James Bible, followed by gelato at a place we had been meaning to try for awhile.

Got home just in time for a major thunderstorm - our 4th this week .
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #10692
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last night went to a taping of the radio program "Wait Wait .. Don't Tell Me". I was unfamiliar with the show, my brother and his wife got the tickets. Absolutely hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable. ....
Great show but I admit I like Car Talk better. I would love to see the live show someday.

Today I fixed my Mom's railing in the morning and sorted out some problems with my boat in the afternoon. A nice grilled salmon/vegetable dinner with DW and a nice boat ride around the lake. Beautiful day. I'm getting used to this retirement thing.

The loons are noisy tonight for some reason.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #10693

The weather was forecast to be rainy all day so I didn't even start anything outside. Played around with the macro camera lens, two remote flashes with color filters on one, and water drops at the kitchen sink.

The red background is a black plastic case holding a 1/2 inch drill lit by a flash with a red gel on it. Amazon sent a spam message announcement of a new tabletop photography book. I'll probably buy it next order.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #10694
Administrator

Wow!!! Your photography is just getting better and better, by leaps and bounds, Walt. Those photos look really cool.

Yesterday we went to the gym, then went out to lunch. A former co-worker spotted me there, and we talked for a while - - that was really fun because I hadn't seen him since the day I retired. He told me all the latest that was going on with my (former) agency. Plus, F. got to see someone that I had worked with.

After lunch we ran a couple of errands. During rush hour we happened to be in my neighborhood. We ducked into my house and watched TV together for a while, waiting for the traffic to abate. Another great day of retirement as far as I'm concerned.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #10695
Give me a forum ...

Nice photos Walt.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #10696
Moderator Emeritus

Walt, have you taken photos of fireworks that capture the sparks shooting out? Your work is really amazing, to be able to capture the splash of a single drop of water.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #10697
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Walt, at least what you "do" all day (other than work) is kinda neat. Have you tried taking a photo of a bullet going through an apple?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #10698
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Walt, at least what you "do" all day (other than work) is kinda neat. Have you tried taking a photo of a bullet going through an apple?
And ruin a good computer!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #10699
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
And ruin a good computer!
I wouldn't expect him to use a good one, silly...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #10700
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Love that show! I plan my Saturday around listening to it. It's kind of incredible the celebrity guests that come on.

So far today I've finished the crossword, made (and ate) gluten-free waffles, done 15 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical, 25 minutes of weight lifting and, once I quit sweating, I'll go mow the front and back lawn. Then it should be time for Wait, Wait!