what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lower back has been seizing up for the past few days. Even walking to the grocery store is a challenge. Darn!

My lower back has been seizing up for the past few days. Even walking to the grocery store is a challenge. Darn!
My computer has been doing the same thing. Have you tried rebooting?

Kidding aside, back problems can be absolutely miserable. Hope things get better soon.

Helped (a little) DW clean house, replaced two toilet seats, bought the wrong type popup sprinkler to replace a busted one, so heading back to the store to exchange and then on to the gym.

Also had a little time to play my ukulele.... :dance:

Multiple rounds of snow shoveling interspersed with multiple conference calls.

Also thinking up a list of baby-making music to post in the Valentine's Day thread.

I feel the pain FIREd. Just getting over major rib pain in my back. Don't want to go through that again! Hope it goes away for ya soon.

I spent the day in the kitchen with Alton Brown & Martha Stewarh .I made Alton Brown's peanut butter fudge for my SO for Valentines Day . Sinfully rich ! I then decided to use up some leftovers & make Martha Stewart's Turkey Tettrazini .It was a little labor intensive but it smells great .

DW made a chocolate cake for us. It won't last long.

Cleared snow. And then cleared some more. Did my driveway and 3 of the neighbors. Now it's snowing again. DW helped.

Made a sandwich for late lunch and then took a two-hour nap.

Attachments

• clearing_snow-1.jpg
    clearing_snow-1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 15
  • clearing_snow-2.jpg
    clearing_snow-2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
  • clearing_snow-4.jpg
    clearing_snow-4.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 17
  • clearing_snow-7.jpg
    clearing_snow-7.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 18

Sorry to hear this! Better take it easy for a while and maybe have food delivered for a few days until it feels better. IIRC in SF you can get grocery store delivery, but if not I am sure restaurants would deliver.

Seems to happen to most of us now and then, often for no logical reason.

I just tried on a pair of smaller jeans...and they fit! ...and they don't cut my circulation off! :D

I hope I'm not the only one with several pairs of jeans in different sizes. :blush:

I just tried on a pair of smaller jeans...and they fit! ...and they don't cut my circulation off! :D

I hope I'm not the only one with several pairs of jeans in different sizes. :blush:

Nope, you are not the only one. I have 2 different sizes and unfortunately I am in the bigger size. This winter has me craving the comfort foods. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Hope the above people that are having problems, heal quickly.

I have been spending the last several days working on my 70-vintage Pioneer and Sansui speakers. Spurred on by another thread on audio equipment, I have been working on checking out these speakers, and to bring them back to life.

I hauled the Pioneer speakers from the living room they have been sitting for the last 20 years, and were last used as subwoofers because the high was lacking. Found out that the tweeters had been blown. Finding a replacement is not easy, considering that it has to be mounted in the same place, and has electrical characteristics to match.

Then, I found out that one of the monster Sansui pair (weighting 60 lbs each) had both of its tweeters blown. Again, finding replacement is tough, but I have located some old tweeters on eBay that people were parting out from old speakers.

Anyway, I have now a nice set up to sweep the speakers to check their response and distortion using a microphone and a PC. I had to do it outside, with the speakers on stand to check their free-air response. There's still ground reflection. This stuff can get complicated if you get picky. In the end, it may not matter much as all bets are off when the speakers get placed indoors, and then the human ear is really not that discerning to a few dBs.

When I receive the replacement drivers, will have to spend a day or two to tweak them after installation. It's a nice leisure activity that does not cost all that much.

Hope you will feel better soon. I have not had back pain, but know that it can be debilitating.

I hauled the Pioneer speakers from the living room they have been sitting for the last 20 years, and were last used as subwoofers because the high was lacking. Found out that the tweeters had been blown. Finding a replacement is not easy, considering that it has to be mounted in the same place, and has electrical characteristics to match. ...

Try these guys:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/retrofits

I replaced woofers in some old speakers (foam surround turned to dust). IIRC, I actually spent time with a tech on the phone (this was quite a few years ago). He collected all the pertinent info (dim, port sizes, etc), and he said he could come close, but they might be a bit more boomy then the originals.

I'd say he was right, but they were close enough for the casual use I was going to use them for. After a few hours, your ears kind of adjust.

At any rate, at least back then they seemed to put in a good amount of effort to match you up. My speakers were an odd beast, so a more popular one like yours might be an easier match for them, they may have it in a database.

You might even consider just leaving the old tweeters in place, and adding a small tweeter enclosure on top of the old speaker. You don't need a mechanical match then.

-ERD50

Thanks for the link, but I see nothing about the tweeters that I am after.

The original tweeters are small horn-type (see photo). Pioneer Web site shows that they went for $37 back when they were still available. There's no horn tweeter available now that is back-mounted and with only a 2" mouthpiece. After a couple of days of searching, I found a Vifa dome tweeter that will fit in the opening. Instead of the 6.7-ohm impedance, the new one is 4-ohm. What will make this work is that the new tweeter is highly efficient at 96dB (standard measure), and I have headroom to pad it to match the old impedance as well as loudness. This is part of the fun.

PS. By the way, I open up a tweeter to inspect the voice coil. I think that modern tweeters can handle a lot more power than these 40-yr old original tweeters.

Last edited:
Hope you will feel better soon. I have not had back pain, but know that it can be debilitating.

I am already feeling better, thanks. My back muscles are still tense but at least the spasms have stopped. It looks like the hot pad is doing some good.

Yesterday I had lunch with a friend from my old job. When my old boss saw me, she shut her door rather than speak to me! No matter, I left smiling!

Been back from Florida for a week. Was feeling lonely and bored, so I went for a short walk in the snow and not too cold. I can do this! Will walk tomorrow if not too cold/windy.

This morning I watched the live broadcast of the olympic men's figure skating final on NBCSN (I'm a fs fan from way back) -- the morning live broadcast is far better than the primetime broadcast, imho.

DH & I then went grocery shopping and had Valentine's Day lunch at our fave Thai restaurant.

We're going to spend the evening watching the new season of House of Cards; dunno how many episodes we'll get thru tonight. Our record so far is four HoC episodes in one sitting -- which says a lot for the quality of that series, I usually don't watch much teevee.

Watched Olympics, hiked two miles thru snow with DW at park. Went grocery shopping made chopped salad for dinner. I,m now online and DW is making banana bread with walnuts and chocolate chips. Life is good.

Church, laundry and talking with lots of family and friends. I found out that I am going to have a new grandchild the end of August and I am so excited!

Snowed in today. So tired of the snow and cold. So I stayed in and I enjoyed myself a lot of this board and worked on other computer stuff, even paid a lot of bills on line. Hey--maybe this snow business is not so bad after all.

Started cleaning up the RV in preparation for our first short trip in a couple of weeks. Also began planning our annual 'escape the heat' trip to the mountains in Aug/Sept. The state park we want to visit in CO takes reservations 6 months in advance and the sites don't last for more than a few hours once the reservation window opens. I don't want to stay up til 1 AM so I'll have to get up early to have a chance at getting a good spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom