what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a crew of a dozen folks swept through the house, and replaced 17 windows and a sliding door in 5 1/2 hours. The results actually look really good.

Busy day! Besides looking good, the new windows and door are surely very energy efficient and more soundproof than the old ones, so overall this sounds like a very nice improvement.

Busy day! Besides looking good, the new windows and door are surely very energy efficient and more soundproof than the old ones, so overall this sounds like a very nice improvement.

More soundproof and sounds like a very nice improvement?

I guess so. :)

Sweet looking bench, too pretty to actually build something on :). Nice job, you look to be quite the "Family Handyman"

Yeah, I have that reputation. Sometimes it's a curse! :D Good luck with the rotator cuff work...I had that done years ago and now it only hurts when cold weather is coming.

That is a really nice workbench, aja8888!

Thanks Chris!:)

DH & I took a kayaking course today, put on by the Regional Park District for people 50 & over. It was the first time either of us have been in a kayak, and we had a great time!

Kayaks (in very good condition), paddles, and life jackets -- excuse me, PFDs -- were provided, and the price of the course was very reasonable, imo. We could have had a 2-person kayak, but we opted for individual kayaks.

There were about a dozen participants, all kayaking newbies. Three park staffers taught us, and I think they did a great job. We really lucked out on the weather, a couple of nasty rainstorms passed thru the area over the past week, but it was glorious out today.

It was a great way to become familiarized with kayaking & get our feet wet, literally. :LOL: We're now looking into places where we can go & rent them. We may have found a new pastime, oh boy! :)

what did you do today?

Someone mentioned Work!? Thought this was life AFTER FIRE lol.

Just kidding

Visited DWs two cousins sisters), one who is in Hospice at home. She is MRDD, and doesn't realize she is dying. A blessing, I suppose. She has been sick a lot during her later life. It's her healthy sister who needs the support, now and after.

Had new gutters installed Monday. Got to watch them work today...

Yeah, I have that reputation. Sometimes it's a curse! :D Good luck with the rotator cuff work...I had that done years ago and now it only hurts when cold weather is coming.

Thanks Chris!:)

Yeah, I won't be building anything for awhile. Don't think I'll be sleeping much either :(

Yesterday we had spiny lobster tails on the grill. A first for us, we've never bought or cooked lobster 'til last night. They were on sale so we bought a bunch. We had them with boniato and mango salsa. Yum.

Now that we have new windows, DW wants new window coverings. So... I worked up a design, hit the local big box hardware store for rods and holdbacks, and picked up a bunch of fabric.

Off the shelf curtains won't cut it. We have stacked windows topping out at 125" from the floor. I wanted to see a single vertical drop of fabric from the window top to the floor, so that means rolling my own. :blink: It looks like I've got about 3 days of sewing total to do this job. Yeah, I'm slow, but at least everything is coming out nice and even so far. :whistle:

Stuff to do when retired...

Our second propane water heater was rusted out and leaking (I replaced the other one last year). Ack, that's two water heaters in one year- one for each half of the house, each 50 gallon. And just my wife and I live here. Anyway, this one is in the attic. Access from a closet through a 30" square hole in the ceiling. Oh yeah, and it's a 12' ceiling. Was able to remove it with the help of a wench (the rope and pulley type, not the female type). And I did it by myself. Now just need to get the new one up there and hook it up.

I see the wisdom in downsizing, but my skills mechanical skills are better than my persuasion skills.

Went to the farmers market this morning where we bought a big loaf of delicious rosemary bread. Talked to family on the phone for a couple of hours. Went out for dinner to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant for a bowl of pho. Looking forward to some ice cream while watching The Hobbit, part 2.

Left early this morning for a 10-mile hike in Muir Woods. It has been a warm sunny day so far, and the redwoods and waterfalls provided much needed freshness. Now enjoying a glass of cider while waiting for the new season of Game of Throne to start. For dinner, it will be steaks and asparagus from the farmers market.

Left early this morning for a 10-mile hike in Muir Woods. It has been a warm sunny day so far, and the redwoods and waterfalls provided much needed freshness. Now enjoying a glass of cider while waiting for the new season of Game of Throne to start. For dinner, it will be steaks and asparagus from the farmers market.

Nice.

Enjoying the weather outdoors. Cleaning up around the house. Took the dogs for their evening walk in Cook Forest. I have Cosmos bookmarked for this evening.

Sang a solo during Communion this morning. Spent the afternoon preparing for our upcoming trip to Venice.

Spent the entire day (9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) in Outdoor Training for Girl Scouts, so Thing Two's Daisy troop can do outdoor camping and cooking. Pitched tents, started fires, tied knots, lashed stuff, cooked food over open fire and -- my favorite -- baked a pan of cornbread in an "oven" made from a cardboard box lined in aluminum foil, using charcoal as a heat source. Not kidding. Totally worked.

Just felt a small earthquake a few minutes ago. Went looking on Google to find out about it and went to earthquaketrack.com and found out it was a 3.5 magnitude at the exact time I felt it. Also somewhat surprised how much quake activity is in my local area. Maybe that big one that gets talked about is really coming!

Pruned my basil bush and made pesto. I made pesto for the first time last year, and couldn't believe how simple it is to make, and how much better it tastes when made fresh. Dinner tonight was therefore fresh pasta with basil pesto, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts., plus a salad and some toasted garlic bread. So darn good!

This is the recipe I used: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/basil-pesto-recipe2.html

What state/city are you in where the Muir Woods are? The hike sounds like fun.

Put new batteries in the scale and figured out how to empty new vacuum cleaner and started a batch of bokashi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom