Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #11041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coors Lite or blackberry brandy...haha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #11042

Yesterday I was the photographer at a wedding, strictly a low-budget affair. The hard-core LBYM types would have loved it.

Small chapel, perhaps 40 people, reception at a VFW hall. I shot over 600 photos that I now have to go through, edit, adjust exposure, contrast, highlights, etc. and winnow down to 100-150. Next time I'll be a little more judicious about pressing the shutter button. I'll spend way more time processing the photos than I did at the wedding.

And I almost missed the cutting of the cake. Yikes! But I did get all the other shots they wanted so I think they'll be pleased. I'm happy with the way it's going so far.

My wedding present to the happy couple is the CD with the processed photos on it.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #11043
Give me a forum ...

I'm headed out for the last boat ride of the season. The lake I keep it on is now 7 feet below spring level and getting lower as they continue to use the lake to feed the NYS Barge Canal. The boat launch at the state park has a shallow water entrance, so it has to be pulled on Wednesday. My Jeep is not reliable, so I am having the boat storage guy do the trailer/vehicle thing with me at the helm on the water. Piece of cake.
Mr B has to study, so I called a buddy to join me. I am perfectly capable of boating solo, but it is not always the smartest idea to go alone.
It is a gorgeous day with a high of 68F predicted, and just a few clouds in the sky.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #11044
Give me a forum ...

Let some chocolate melt in my mouth while I watched a chick flick.

Since DH is gone for a few days, I've got a case of the lazys. No projects for me during his absence....just chocolate, chick flicks and naps.

Feels so good.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #11045
Give me a forum ...

I am getting to do something most older retirees would like to try . I am currently staying in my Mother's independent living apartment .It is a little strange having a curfew but otherwise it's fine .Gary & I were on a cruise through New England & Canada when I got a call that my Mother (96 years old ) had fallen and broke her shoulder and had a large subdural hematoma . I took a bus from Port Authority to Pennsylvania to assist my Mother while she is in the hospital . She is doing amazingly well so hopefully my stint at the Independent /assisted living place will be over in a week or two .
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #11046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am getting to do something most older retirees would like to try . I am currently staying in my Mother's independent living apartment .It is a little strange having a curfew but otherwise it's fine .Gary & I were on a cruise through New England & Canada when I got a call that my Mother (96 years old ) had fallen and broke her shoulder and had a large subdural hematoma . I took a bus from Port Authority to Pennsylvania to assist my Mother while she is in the hospital . She is doing amazingly well so hopefully my stint at the Independent /assisted living place will be over in a week or two .
An unfortunate reason but an important experience. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after the week or two. Good luck with your Mum.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #11047
Moderator Emeritus

I felt terrible all weekend and didn't sleep at all last night so I am going to the doctor this afternoon. I am laying in bed in the meantime. What a way to start the week!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #11048
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
96...wow. Bless her for being so tough with such an injury!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #11049
Give me a forum ...

I spent most of today doing laundry and playing with my plants while Mr B studied and prepared for a Legion meeting presentation tonight.
I'm tempted to join him for a cold one after the meeting, but I have to be up at o'dark thirty for an 8:45 dentist appointment to FINALLY get this tooth fixed.
I cut down the spent plants and trimmed off faded leaves for the compost. I am allowing the dirt to dry out so I can put it back in the original bag it came in. I have too many containers to store them with dirt in them inside the enclosed porch.
Night-time temps are getting down to the 40s. A few maple trees are turning colors already.
My porch looks like a forest with all the still blossoming and bearing plants moved inside. I have an Earthbox full of tomatoes that will continue to form and ripen into the fall months.
All of my paintbox geraniums are just blooming. They will provide indoor cheer over the winter. I cut back a miniature sunflower plant so it will grow new leaves and rebloom in the next month or so.
It's been very interesting cooking myself food that does not require a lot of vigorous chewing. Today's special was chicken breast chopped in small pieces, cooked in cream of mushroom soup, and put over rice. I made some split green pea soup for tomorrow so I can eat without chewing the inside of my cheek until the Novacaine wears off.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #11050
Give me a forum ...

I drove from Richmond BC to 108 Mile House BC, a distance of 488 Km. I had driven approximately 2/3 of this route previously so it was nice to see some new and interesting scenery. Lots of mountains - I'm glad it's not January! Gas consumption was 8.4 L/100 Km. New car was very comfortable. The only maddening thing was my GPS (Garmin) which got totally confused re: my starting point and had me going round in circles in Richmond/Vancouver for 20 minutes until I turned it off and headed the way that seemed to make sense! Perhaps it was proximity to the airport that got its knickers in a twist. Once I was outside that area it worked just fine. Weather was glorious, cloudless sky, 26 degrees C.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #11051
Give me a forum ...

I had a full day today...

I took the boat out for one last spin. I had the entire lake to myself. I pushed the throttle to the max on calm water and achieved 42 mph. Woooooooooo
It was pulled it from the lake with the assistance of the boatyard mechanic in his truck. My Jeep is not trustworthy for towing anymore.

After all that excitement, I went to chinese buffet with former co-w*rkers. I was pleased to be able to chew normally when I ate. The dentist gave me 2 tubes of Vella (fluoride varnish for treating dental hypersensitivity) on Tuesday to calm down the chronic pain and see if the nerve recovers. If the pain returns, I am probably looking at a root canal. So far so good without a Vella treatment since last night.

I stopped for eggs and bought some surprise ice cream for Mr B. He is up to his eyeballs with 3 courses and feeling the mental pinch. Ice cream always cheers him up.

We are going to visit his Mom for her 85th birthday next week IF he can get his assignments done. I have a feeling I will be doing most of the driving on that trip. I prefer that to worrying if he is getting road weary at 65 mph on the NYS Thruway.

Oh...and I changed my avatar.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #11052
Full time employment: Posting here.

In the car alllll day (DH and i switching off driving responsibilities) from Cape San Blas, FL to home in central AR.

There. is. no. place. like. home.

Our dog was so happy to see us and vice versa.

In a few days i plan to post a trip report on The Villages, where we spent 3 1/2 days. We do not think it is for us, but what an unbelievable thing they have going on. DH and i don't quite know what to think about it all.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #11053

Quote:
I am getting to do something most older retirees would like to try . I am currently staying in my Mother's independent living apartment .
Yes, do write about that when you're back home. More than one person is interested in that.

We spent the morning with SIL at the office of an eldercare attorney going over paperwork for new power of attorney for FIL, health care directive, and will.

Went out for a nice lunch with SIL, then back here for a while, she wanted to see the wedding photos I'd taken and talk with DW for a bit.

Now I'm debating whether to mow the grass or go for a motorcycle ride. The streets are calling me so the grass can wait.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Tri-State Antique Truck Show Winchester, VA, a short distance away. Will post pictures.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #11054
Moderator Emeritus

I've been off the board for a couple weeks.

I had a great time at FINCON12 in Denver, met a lot of rock-star personal-finance bloggers, and got all of my obscure questions answered.

I also spent time during & after FINCON with my Dad and my brother. Dad's Alzheimer's continues to wreak its havoc, but he's coping on Aricept and a low dose of Lexapro. I visited Dad's lawyer to make sure he had no paperwork surprises (we're good), sorted through a bunch of old photo albums & Dad's possessions, and had several long discussions with my brother. That all went as well as those things can go.

I enjoyed hanging out with JDarnell & Brewer, and learned a lot from both of them. Thanks, guys!

Now we're at our college daughter's Families Weekend. She's doing much better in her junior year than she was in her freshman & sophomore courses-- both academically and on her stress level. However she still has a ton of reading, homework, & projects to get a handle on this weekend, followed by a fluid mechanics test on Tuesday. Then there's the usual dorm & NROTC drama to talk through and plan ahead. We'll go to a few FW events on campus and she'll hang out with us at our rental apartment this weekend, so we'll get plenty of quality time.

I haven't been surfing since Labor Day. I'll be glad to get back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We spent the morning with SIL at the office of an eldercare attorney going over paperwork for new power of attorney for FIL, health care directive, and will.
I'm glad that's going well. It's tough to get it all sorted out.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #11055
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Now we're at our college daughter's Families Weekend. She's doing much better in her junior year than she was in her freshman & sophomore courses...
How'd she get to be a junior? Time sure flies...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #11056

Went to an antique truck show in Winchester, VA and met up with a BIL there (the one with a brain). Hey, every guy needs an antique fire truck in his garage, right? The neat part is that he used to drive it when he was a volunteer in College Park, MD.

I am in awe of the precision of some of the restorations, some of them large long distance haulers.

And for some people one just isn't enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck_show-4.jpg (131.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Truck_show-15.jpg (155.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Truck_show-13.jpg (146.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Truck_show-22.jpg (135.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Truck_show-24.jpg (126.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #11057
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took a day off today. Just flew back from Central America where I served 600 patients. Exhausted.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #11058
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spent the morning wandering the small mountain town of Ouray, CO. The quiet was suddenly interrupted by one of the Navy Blue Angels* making a low level pass up the mountain valley, right up the center line of main street, in full afterburner. Put a new part in my hair.

He was long gone when I took this photo.

*Performing at an air show in nearby Grand Junction this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0607.jpg (813.5 KB, 7 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #11059
Moderator Emeritus

Enjoying our Families Weekend time with some runaround errands.

First, we got our flu shots. For some reason we've found it easier to do those here for the last three years... probably because we're not at home doing other ("more important") errands.

Then we visited a jeweler for an appraisal on some of Mom's & Dad's engagement/wedding rings. No Antiques Roadshow surprises there, and these things were meant to be worn instead of stored in a safe deposit box. We're planning to hold on to my mother's engagement ring in case our daughter wants to someday reset the diamond. Another small eternity ring is probably better worn on a necklace, or will have to be resized to fit our daughter's bigger hands. The other two rings are "sentimental value only".

Next (as usual) we also helped with apartment maintenance. Our daughter wants to swap out a closet doorknob with one that can be locked, so we found one at Home Depot. She also needed help with a vacuum cleaner. Once we found all the filters (and hairballs), she didn't need much help.

This year she's in charge of her dorm's properties, which means that she has to arrange to repair their recreational gear faster than the hard-partyin' drunks can break it. (This turns out to be valuable submarine division officer training.) Today's project was taking apart a hammock to figure out what parts to order from the manufacturer. It appears that the hammock had a weight limit after all, and the mechanical engineering lab doesn't have the ability to straighten out a bent/kinked section of 1.5" steel pipe. We also learned that most ping-pong tables won't survive having a 250-pound football player sit on them.

We had fun at one of the Weekend's first events-- an a capella performance by the university's Philharmonics, followed by improv from their group "Spontaneous Combustion". Hopefully nobody was recording video, or the latter group may have to retire their "Muppet Beeker" imitation of the university president. And yes, Alan, I mean Muppet in the British sense as well as the American...

Today's the big BBQ before the football game. Looking forward to more Goode cuisine. It's not kal-be, but it's far better than any other Texas BBQ that Hawaii has to offer. I've been snorkeling through corned beef and fajitas products all week, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
How'd she get to be a junior? Time sure flies...
Next month we'll be an officially teen-free family. The other night (over dinner) she asked us to help her fill out her Navy service selection commissioning worksheet. Only 20 months left until she's a big-shot ensign!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #11060

Yesterday was a frantic Friday. Started off giving a United Way (I'm on the board) campaign presentation at a local bank just before it opened. Came home and changed out of nice clothes into grubbies to clean the fish pond and repot and/or divide the water lilies, all of which were very pot-bound. Also planted some herbs to replace the ones that got straggly through the summer heat. After lunch, headed out for a meeting for another volunteer gig. On the way home, got my car washed and they also fixed the windshield chip I'd picked up a few weeks ago. Picked up some books at the library and renewed my library card. Stopped at the Discount Tire to have the air in the tires checked and topped off (they do it for free). Grilled stuffed porkchops and okra for dinner. Talked with DD for nearly an hour on the phone. Nearly fell asleep after 5 minutes of TV so decided it was time to hit the hay.

Up early as I was driving 2 girlfriends to a scrapbook convention about an hour away. We each took several classes, bought supplies, and had a great time. Even the car time was fun as we hadn't seen each other much over the summer. Now catching up on Facebook and the forums here before starting dinner.

Think I'll take it easy tomorrow!

Closed Thread